Menu

Can someone please explain this point of view to me?

Trials are aborted all the time when someone pleads guilty. The video OBL released was his guilty plea. We can know this by his own words. There is no doubt about this one.

Yes. Not only did he take responsibility, he bragged about it. :glare:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess for me, I have a difficult time celebrating the death of anyone. Did he deserve to die? Yes. Did our military do the right thing? Absolutely. I can't bring myself to celebrate and rejoice that another person is dead. I feel a sense of relief in this necessary action, but no joy.

:iagree:

I feel a great sense of relief that his particular evil is gone from this world, but celebrating his death makes me feel uncomfortable.

I don't even feel a sense of relief. Nobody does things on that scale alone. He isn't the only one out there. .

So true.

I recall seeing an American journalist interview him many years ago. I have been afraid of the man since that very day (whether that is reasonable or not, I don't know). I think that has quite a bit to do with my feeling of relief.

I guess for me, I have a difficult time celebrating the death of anyone. Did he deserve to die? Yes. Did our military do the right thing? Absolutely. I can't bring myself to celebrate and rejoice that another person is dead. I feel a sense of relief in this necessary action, but no joy.

I'm in the camp of thinking that his death was probably necessary, but that the killing of any human being is not something we should ever celebrate. It is, at best, a regrettable necessity like, as I mentioned in another thread, putting down an attack dog. But it seems like it should be a time for solemnity to me, not a time for dancing and joyful shouting.

:iagree::iagree:

I do not feel sad that he is dead, yet at the same time I'm not feeling particularly celebratory. If I stop to ponder, I do feel incredibly sad that we live in a world where such action is necessary. I do feel that his death was necessary. It happened, and that is good in a sense.

I am incredibly proud of our service members and the dedication with which they have carried out their mission.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Incredibly grateful and proud of the bravery of our service members and the fact that they came out of this safely.

I also feel sober - glad that a necessary thing was done, but also sorry for all that has led us here.

I'm not a Christian, but I liked this quote that a friend of mine posted:

The Vatican Press Office Director Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi's responded to journalists' questions on yesterday's killing of Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks. Father Lombardi stated:

Osama bin Laden - as we all know - was gravely responsible for promoting division and hatred between peoples, causing the death of countless innocent lives, and of exploiting religions to this end.

Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of each and every one of us before God and before man, and hopes and commits himself so that no event be an opportunity for further growth of hatred, but for peace.

That fits more with my way of thinking than the picture I saw posted on Facebook, of the Statue of Liberty holding up bin Laden's severed head, dripping with blood. Ugh.

I also feel sober - glad that a necessary thing was done, but also sorry for all that has led us here.

I'm not a Christian, but I liked this quote that a friend of mine posted:

The Vatican Press Office Director Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi's responded to journalists' questions on yesterday's killing of Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks. Father Lombardi stated:

Osama bin Laden - as we all know - was gravely responsible for promoting division and hatred between peoples, causing the death of countless innocent lives, and of exploiting religions to this end.

Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of each and every one of us before God and before man, and hopes and commits himself so that no event be an opportunity for further growth of hatred, but for peace.

That fits more with my way of thinking than the picture I saw posted on Facebook, of the Statue of Liberty holding up bin Laden's severed head, dripping with blood. Ugh.

It pretty well sums up the way I'm feeling too.

Bill

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. His death doesn't undo the evil that already happened so celebrating to me feels like I'm saying "haha look what happens when you mess with us!" or something. Was he innocent? Definitely not and I in no way mourn his death. But I just can't bring myself to want to party because he's dead. I'd rather spend my energy praying for those who lost loved ones in 9/11 and the families of his other victims over the years, pray that they have some semblance of peace. We are still at war. I'll save my celebrating when this war ends and our troops are safely back home.

the Statue of Liberty holding up bin Laden's severed head, dripping with blood.

The Statue of Liberty being turned into a symbol of violence is one of the most disturbing things I have seen in a while. It's so completely counter to what Lady Liberty stands for.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

Guest Dulcimeramy
The Statue of Liberty being turned into a symbol of violence is one of the most disturbing things I have seen in a while. It's so completely counter to what Lady Liberty stands for.

Tara

I saw it on FB, too, and almost threw up. I share Father Lombardi's sentiments entirely, but apparently many of my FB friends possess a bloodlust that I was unprepared to witness.

I'm saddened and maybe even sickened by the rejoicing I have heard. I get that he was a terrorist, but he is a human being. I can understand feelings of relief, but I've heard so many "whoo hoos" and seen pictures circulating of lady liberty with an image of OBL's head hanging from her.

We (yes, I am an American) are not guiltless. We act like we are the good guys and we are out to save the world and in the wake over 60,000 civilians have been killed in Iraq and half of Iraq's children are orphans. We threatened to bomb a country back to the stone age if they didn't help fight al-Qaeda. Those things turn my stomach too. So much killing :(

Exactly how I feel.

I hate the statue of liberty perversion and also I think speculation about VS is uncalled for. However, just because people whose views are similar to mine indulge in these distasteful practices doesn't necessarily mean that their positions are utterly bankrupt. I'm not going to not be glad that victory and justice have prevailed just because some have gone overboard in tasteless and unbecoming gloating.

Because people are opinionated! Some people celebrate accomplishment. Others have the luxury of not doing anything towards an outcome and still talk trash via religion and politics. Some people are self righteous, control freaks. Some are controlled by fear and denial. Public opinion has a range of emotion or none at all.

Here is what one priest has to say on the matter. As a Christian I totally understand what he is saying. I'm not joyful over the death of anyone, but as an imperfect human I find it hard to be upset about Osama's death regardless of how it came about.

For the most part, I have sensed that people are really celebrating the freedom from the fear of this man and the chance to finally have some closure on 9/11.

I do not have a problem with the celebratory nature of that. It may seem like blood lust, but really it's a combination of many different emotions.

I also, think New Yorkers and those directly effected by this are going to have a greater emotional reaction than those who were more distantly effected. Since I fall into the "more distantly effected" group, I will give the other the benefit of the doubt.

Because people are opinionated! Some people celebrate accomplishment. Others have the luxury of not doing anything towards an outcome and still talk trash via religion and politics. Some people are self righteous, control freaks. Some are controlled by fear and denial. Public opinion has a range of emotion or none at all.

The OP asked for sincere and thoughtful discussion, not juvenile name-calling.

For the most part, I have sensed that people are really celebrating the freedom from the fear of this man and the chance to finally have some closure on 9/11.

I do not have a problem with the celebratory nature of that. It may seem like blood lust, but really it's a combination of many different emotions.

I also, think New Yorkers and those directly effected by this are going to have a greater emotional reaction than those who were more distantly effected. Since I fall into the "more distantly effected" group, I will give the other the benefit of the doubt.

:iagree: I know I was feeling celebratory about the victory of this military operation. It has been 10 long years that we have searched for Bin Laden. I think many Americans feel a sense that justice has been done for the victims of the 9/11 attacks.

This is exactly how I feel.

As a lawyer, I have problems with calling it justice. Justice is when there is a trial and both sides have an opportunity to present their case and a neutral fact-finder determines innocence or guilt.

As a former law professor, President Obama should know that this was not justice, but an execution without trial. But he called it justice last night. When the word justice gets used in this manner, it changes and does harm to the meaning of the word.

I know I'm in the minority. But if we don't protect the rights of the worst human beings, all of our rights are eroded. If we can have armed men drop into Bin Laden's house and start shooting, why not do it to alleged murderers? If we can do it to alleged murderers, why not alleged thieves or alleged drug dealers?

We are on a dangerous slippery slope and have lost our way. We have already convicted many innocent people of crimes they did not commit in our rush to take judgment. We have bombed and killed innocent civilians. We have become torturers.

This is revenge, not justice. This is a military raid not aimed to take someone into custody, but to kill. And several others were also killed, including his wife, apparently.

I understand the normal human reaction to take revenge. I know he has done many evil things. But our American system is not supposed to be based upon revenge, but upon laws and true justice. We have lost that, not just in this case, but in so many others.

I still believe in the America that I was taught in my school civics classes. An America that was based on ideals and values and laws and the Constitution. I was taught that America respected human rights and did the morally correct thing and only used force when necessary to help people. I wish America could live up to its ideals.

I totally agree with you. I'm trying to figure out the opposing viewpoint.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr

astrid

Reports state bin Laden "went down firing." Maybe the SEALS wanted to capture him and were forced to fire on him. The AP article says he died after forty minutes of return firing, so it's not like they just stormed in there and shot him in the head while he slept. This reminds me of when people wonder why cops don't just shoot someone in the leg. Guess you had to be there.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/ap-source:-bin-laden-went-down-firing_6309776

Edited by Mejane

This is exactly how I feel.

I feel the same way.

Justice is when there is a trial and both sides have an opportunity to present their case and a neutral fact-finder determines innocence or guilt.

The way CNN reported the operation this morning, bin Laden was given the opportunity to surrender, but he refused. If a police officer goes to arrest a suspect, the suspect refuses to surrender, and the police officer's life is at risk, he is allowed to shoot the suspect without benefit of trial. I think the same principle applies to these types of military operations. If bin Laden refused to surrender and the troops' lives were endangered, they were within their rights to fire on bin Laden without giving him the benefit of trial.

As a lawyer, I have problems with calling it justice. Justice is when there is a trial and both sides have an opportunity to present their case and a neutral fact-finder determines innocence or guilt.

As a former law professor, President Obama should know that this was not justice, but an execution without trial. But he called it justice last night. When the word justice gets used in this manner, it changes and does harm to the meaning of the word.

I know I'm in the minority. But if we don't protect the rights of the worst human beings, all of our rights are eroded. If we can have armed men drop into Bin Laden's house and start shooting, why not do it to alleged murderers? If we can do it to alleged murderers, why not alleged thieves or alleged drug dealers?

We are on a dangerous slippery slope and have lost our way. We have already convicted many innocent people of crimes they did not commit in our rush to take judgment. We have bombed and killed innocent civilians. We have become torturers.

This is revenge, not justice. This is a military raid not aimed to take someone into custody, but to kill. And several others were also killed, including his wife, apparently.

I understand the normal human reaction to take revenge. I know he has done many evil things. But our American system is not supposed to be based upon revenge, but upon laws and true justice. We have lost that, not just in this case, but in so many others.

I still believe in the America that I was taught in my school civics classes. An America that was based on ideals and values and laws and the Constitution. I was taught that America respected human rights and did the morally correct thing and only used force when necessary to help people. I wish America could live up to its ideals.

With due respect, as I share many (most) of your premises including an affinity with the principle of acting according to law and justice, in this case we are dealing with a man who is not a simple criminal, but a mass murder. And his "guilt" is not in question. His culpability was established by his own admissions on videotape, so it is beyond the question of reasonable doubt.

Beyond that he has made continuing threats against our nation and its people. We have every reason to have believe these threats were legitimate and imminent. I don't think any reasonable person would argue otherwise.

Under these circumstances it is entirely reasonable that we acted as we did. It is not a "slippery slope" that empowers police officers to simply execute suspected criminals. It is a narrow case of acting to protect national security and is a fully justifiable action.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

With due respect, as I share many (most) of your premises including an affinity with the principle of acting according to law and justice, in this case we are dealing with a man who is not a simple criminal, but a mass murder. And his "guilt" is not in question. His capability was established by his own admissions on videotape, so it is beyond the question of reasonable doubt.

Beyond that he has made continuing threats against or nation and its people. We have every reason to have believe these threats were legitimate and imminent. I don't think any reasonable person would argue otherwise.

Under these circumstances it is entirely reasonable that we acted as we did. It is not a "slippery slope" that empowers police officers to simply execute suspected criminals. It is a narrow case of acting to protect national security and is a fully justifiable action.

Bill

Bill! You and I are in total agreement - on this post at least. :001_smile:

I know I'm in the minority. But if we don't protect the rights of the worst human beings, all of our rights are eroded. If we can have armed men drop into Bin Laden's house and start shooting, why not do it to alleged murderers?

I'm appalled that we torture. It is so profoundly offensive to me that this is done in my name. This is not the America that we have been or that I want it to be.

Having said that, I do think that this particular attack was justice because this was a publicly admitted crime. There was a decision, publicly announced, that this man was guilty. There was no question about guilt or the sentence.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

And why wouldn't they (whoever "they" currently are) do the same to us? One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, and all that... But there's not much point arguing over this point. What I really want to know is why we're calling it execution instead of assassination. It is execution if you believe you have to right to do it, it is assassination if you don't think you have the right, but think you have good enough reasons to do it anyway? Semantics, fascinating, isn't it?

Rosie

And why wouldn't they (whoever "they" currently are) do the same to us? One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, and all that... But there's not much point arguing over this point. What I really want to know is why we're calling it execution instead of assassination. It is execution if you believe you have to right to do it, it is assassination if you don't think you have the right, but think you have good enough reasons to do it anyway? Semantics, fascinating, isn't it?

Rosie

I think, that it is execution if there is a conviction of guilt and a sentence and assassination if there is just a leader who is an enemy.

Third alternative--an act of war if there is a state of war, but I am not comfortable terming this this way.

I have to say, I'm kind of feeling my way on this one. Having coincidentally read some Wiesenthal very lately (yesterday and today, actually, how strange is that?), I'm thinking differently about this than I even was yesterday.

As a lawyer, you are applying a narrow definition of justice as it pertains to our unique legal system (which includes protections not found in most other, including Middle Eastern, countries).

jus·tice

–noun 1. the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.

2. rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.

3. the moral principle determining just conduct.

I, frankly, find it extremely naive to suggest that UBL should have been captured and tried for his offenses. It really rattles me that we are somehow expected to extend protections under our Consititution to foreign terrorists who will use those very protections to annihilate us.

Lisa

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

— Martin Luther King Jr.

Edited by JENinOR

Rosie

"They" have, "they" are, and "they" will. That is the point, is it not? That Al Quada is actively plotting terrorist attacks against our country. It is a matter of national security to eliminate the terrorists trying to destroy us. As I've said before, it is a joke to me to suggest that we should risk soldiers lives to capture him alive, and what? Bring him to the U.S. for trial? In New York maybe?

The 9/11 attacks added a new front to war, with an enemy that is not well defined. Our military is keeping us safe by fighting an enemy that uses tactics never seen in warfare before. The rules have changed and I, for one, am indebted to our military and all involved in keeping us safe. Bravo!

Lisa

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

— Martin Luther King Jr.

Profound words, yes. Dr. King is one of my heroes.

But . . . do you really think Dr. King would want those words applied here? I guess none of us can know, but these comments were spoken during a very specific time of injustice in our nations history. To suggest that by defending our nation at war with Al Quada we are somehow returning hate; or that if we somehow used love toward UBL perhaps he would change. We are not trying to change hearts here. We are defending a nation. There is a big difference.

Lisa

I don't understand the opposing view either. I wouldn't "celebrate", however he needed to be stopped and I'm glad he was.

Did you know he used one of his wives as a shield? That was the "woman" killed. What a guy.

Reports state bin Laden "went down firing." Maybe the SEALS wanted to capture him and were forced to fire on him. The AP article says he died after forty minutes of return firing, so it's not like they just stormed in there and shot him in the head while he slept. This reminds me of when people wonder why cops don't just shoot someone in the leg. Guess you had to be there.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/ap-source:-bin-laden-went-down-firing_6309776

A Navy friend who is deployed sent news from the Navy website saying that the orders allowed him to be captured alive, but a firefight ensued and he was killed. Other news is reporting that he used his own wife as a human shield and that is why she was shot. Nice guy.:glare:

Thank you from one lawyer to another . You stated so well what has been on my mind today. There is nothing harder than fighting the urge for revenge. I understand it , I have felt it more than I would ever want to admit. Great post.

Utter bunk!!!!

This is WAR he was an enemy of this nation who attacked this nation and caused thousands of deaths.

In war people get killed without the niceties of a trial; to compare a military action which results in an enemy being killed to execution without trial is....as I said....bunk.

Utter bunk!!!!

This is WAR he was an enemy of this nation who attacked this nation and caused thousands of deaths.

In war people get killed without the niceties of a trial; to compare a military action which results in an enemy being killed to execution without trial is....as I said....bunk.

I totally agree.

Profound words, yes. Dr. King is one of my heroes.

But . . . do you really think Dr. King would want those words applied here? I guess none of us can know, but these comments were spoken during a very specific time of injustice in our nations history. To suggest that by defending our nation at war with Al Quada we are somehow returning hate; or that if we somehow used love toward UBL perhaps he would change. We are not trying to change hearts here. We are defending a nation. There is a big difference.

Lisa

I will not rejoice... was my point.

He told us he was going to attack us. He did. He did it again...and again...and again...and he said he'd do it again. This military act was an act of defense in the same way that an intruder entering my home would be shot by my husband if necessary to protect his family. I thank God that the military stopped this intruder from continuing to attack us. And have no doubt...he WAS still doing it. An act of retaliation would simply be "getting back". Stopping Bin Laden was like stopping the intruder whose very intent was murdering more and more of your family with each step he got closer. At what point would you be willing to pull the trigger and not be afraid it would simply be retaliation? Justice might be a nice by-product of this act. But Bin Laden was killed in defense of our country and my family.

And when we celebrate something like this, I do think we're moving toward vengeance. It's a very, very fine line, that I think sometimes is mainly related to what's in our heart. And I do think that if we celebrate something like this, it reveals that it was a desire for vengeance that was in our hearts, rather than simply a desire for justice.

I agree.

Listening to those people on the radio chanting "U-S-A! U-S-A!" made me queasy.

I will not rejoice... was my point.

I will rejoice.

May he roast in Hell!!!! God Bless the brave men who dropped into an enemy compound and hastened him on his way.

This was not an honorable man who fought in the uniform of his nation against us, this was a vile murderer who knowingly, deliberately and without remorse murdered innocents.

I will rejoice.

May he roast in Hell!!!! God Bless the brave men who dropped into an enemy compound and hastened him on his way.

This was not an honorable man who fought in the uniform of his nation against us, this was a vile murderer who knowingly, deliberately and without remorse murdered innocents.

We are in total agreement here, pqr.