Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

This was what happened when my I was discussing pregnancy with my then 2.5 year old (I should have known better)

"So do you think Mom is pregnant this month?" 

"Not yet"

She was right.

And when I did fall pregnant her immediate reaction was:

"It's a girl!" She had to wait a long time before we found out, but she was right.

Now... is that intelligence, being a psychic, chance, or a deep connection? Either way I figured it was cute.

I have always heard that young children are more likely to correctly predict the gender of embryos.

This was what happened when my I was discussing pregnancy with my then 2.5 year old (I should have known better)

"So do you think Mom is pregnant this month?"

"Not yet"

She was right.

And when I did fall pregnant her immediate reaction was:

"It's a girl!" She had to wait a long time before we found out, but she was right.

Now... is that intelligence, being a psychic, chance, or a deep connection? Either way I figured it was cute.

When my son was 4, he told me I had a baby in my tummy. I told him I didn't. He insisted I did. Turns out that within a couple of weeks I discovered I did!

I did get worried when he shortly after was telling me I had BABIES in my tummy. Ultrasound and future events showed him wrong on that one...

• Like 4

"PSA-St. Patrick didn't drive the snakes out of Ireland. Ireland is an island, and at the time it broke off, it was covered by ice.  He did, however, drive the Druid priests out of Ireland, mostly by encouraging killing them. So on St. Patrick's day we celebrate oppression of native religions by introduced ones, mostly via people getting drunk".

• Like 12

DD isnt homeschooled, but thought I'll share an anecdote from yesterday.

She was grumbling to herself, "Why does this (text) have to mention ___ orbitting around the sun. Orbit means around, its like saying the same thing in a different way.". A pause and then perking up a little:.. " Hey...isn't there a word for this? Tautology or something?".

• Like 12

When my son was 4, he told me I had a baby in my tummy. I told him I didn't. He insisted I did. Turns out that within a couple of weeks I discovered I did!

I did get worried when he shortly after was telling me I had BABIES in my tummy. Ultrasound and future events showed him wrong on that one...

My ds assumed everyone had multiples, and whenever we encountered a pregnant woman who was of course having just one baby, he felt very sorry for them. He felt they got ripped off. :)

• Like 4

We were playing little mystery number games tonight in bed, where I basically set up a simple equation with an unknown represented by a person's name, and DS would solve to find their age. Sometimes I used our names and ages to add an extra substitution step. When he started yawning I scaled right back to really easy stuff, addition, etc., without the unknowns. But he was still managed to surprise me...

Me: What's Pegs plus DS?

DS: LOVE! :D

• Like 2

"PSA-St. Patrick didn't drive the snakes out of Ireland. Ireland is an island, and at the time it broke off, it was covered by ice.  He did, however, drive the Druid priests out of Ireland, mostly by encouraging killing them. So on St. Patrick's day we celebrate oppression of native religions by introduced ones, mostly via people getting drunk".

And really, how else would you celebrate that?  

• Like 1

Driving in the car with 4yo today, waiting at a traffic light. 4yo (reading street sign): "We're turning onto Sheridan doctor. Or drive."

Regretting now that we're not catholic. I'm sure you could come up with some fun saints. Or streets. Less fun when he asks me what road we're on, I answer, and he insists on correcting me by adding "avenue" (most roads around here are avenues - I can think of only one street at all in the area).

• Like 1

As heard from the Library Lady when I went to pick up Ds today:

The Library Lady (head librarian) told Ds he could participate in an activity for kids eleven and older, because he was ten and a half and rounding up that meant he was closer to eleven than ten. He asked nicely and respectfully which meant he was mature enough to participate. She is just plain awesome at her job. Heaven help anyone who ever replaces the Library Lady!

When Ds went into the activity the lady running it was a bit of a snot about the whole deal (as was confirmed later by other adults) and would not let him participate. Not only that, she apparently spoke to him like he was too young to understand what under 11 meant.

Ds responded with "I understand that you are going to uphold arbitrary social hierarchy and ageist stereotypes, but please do not speak to me condescendingly."

• Like 24

My DD (4y.o.) was in the nursery at church one day while I was attending service. They were doing something with birds, and the teacher asked her to act like a bird. Instead, my daughter picks up a bat puppet. Teacher: (Trying so hard to get my daughter to participate) "Oh, look, you have a bird puppet!" DD: "It's not a bird, it's a BAT. Bats are MAMMALS! Birds are not."

• Like 1

DS5 was filing out a dry erase workbook to practice letters. One page contained 4 spaces to draw something that started with P, D, W and C.

He drew: 

- a box that represented a picture frame

- a stick figure that represented his dad

- a blue line that represented water

- and a diagram of a carbon atom, complete with 6 red protons and 6 blue neutrons in the center surrounded by 2 rings of electrons, the first with 2 electrons and the second with 4.

• Like 14

DS5 was filing out a dry erase workbook to practice letters. One page contained 4 spaces to draw something that started with P, D, W and C.

He drew: 

- a box that represented a picture frame

- a stick figure that represented his dad

- a blue line that represented water

- and a diagram of a carbon atom, complete with 6 red protons and 6 blue neutrons in the center surrounded by 2 rings of electrons, the first with 2 electrons and the second with 4.

LOL.

Maybe you should teach him to draw Tungsten for W. :)

• Like 5

We went to the science museum today where they have a 'collectors corner', so children can bring in items they have found and researched and earn points for this. DD5 was very excited to show them some pyrite she had found and written about. The (very nice but somewhat patronizing) museum assistant said "Now let's see what Mr rock here is". My DD, in a not so quiet voice, tells me "Mummy, I really don't like to anthropomorphize my rocks". I had to move away and do some deep breathing to stop the giggles.

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked dd1's (age7) math worksheet for today, because I wasn't home when she completed it. She's working on memorizing her 6x facts, and gets upset when she can't remember and has to use the c-rods. She worked out all the other answers, but for 6x6 she just wrote 6^2 and left it at that. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

DD#2 (age 3) was sitting at the table having a snack, when suddenly she said, "If I spelled Y-L-I-C-E-C, that would be funny!  But if I just spelled C-E-C-I-L-Y, that would be my normal name."

There was nothing with her name written on it anywhere in the room.  I went in there to check, because I figured she must have been just reading from right to left.  Nope.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now a DD#1 story.

We just started doing Lively Latin a couple of weeks ago.  She asked me to remind her of the vocabulary word that means land/earth.  I was holding the baby and he happened to bang his head into my chin while I was answering, so I said, "Land or earth is terra, terrae -- OW!"

DD said, "Mommy, I'm pretty sure 'ow' is not the correct gender for that word."

• Like 3

My 6yo ds asked me this morning if he could ever catch his shadow. I said "No, it moves as you move."

He looked at me dubiously and asked, "Well, what if I was moving 8 googolplex miles per hour faster than light?" I had to concede that it might theoretically be possible, but I wasn't sure how moving at that speed might affect his perception of time.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new around here, and just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed reading through this thread.  I've been without support for SO long, and it just makes me so happy to see how you all enjoy and support your children.  It makes me feel somewhat normal to read these things, and also bolder at just being what my kids need me to be.

Thanks for sharing. :)

• Like 8

This is from 2 years ago when DD, then 8, was newly enrolled into a B&M school. I was trying to get her to complete her homework before dinner because she tends to read a book while eating and that takes a really long time.

Me: "I think it would be best if you finish your homework before dinner.But ultimately its your choice"

DD: "I'll eat first and then do it"

Me: "No, I think you first do your homework and then dinner because (reasons listed)...".

These negotiatons went on for some time...and I was trying to couch a non-negotiable(homework before dinner) as a request.

DD: "Hmmm.. Hobsons choice".

• Like 4

DD10's packing list for her summer program:

Clothes and bathroom stuff

Western US reptile field guide

alarm clock

kindle (download herpetological review articles!)

change cheer shoes to university colors....

Barbecue (a stuffed rattlesnake puppet) for "Shake my Tail" ( a spoof of Shake it Off she wrote featuring a rattlesnake, and plans to have Barbecue perform at the talent show)

Books

Colored pencils

Sketchbook

More books

Herping stuff

My Little Pythons (toy snakes tagged with her blog URL and project info)

(I did talk her out of the critter keeper-she doesn't get to bring anyone home with her. I think American Airlines might object to a carry-on snake!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(I did talk her out of the critter keeper-she doesn't get to bring anyone home with her. I think American Airlines might object to a carry-on snake!)

I guess she's still a little too young to show her the movie "Snakes On A Plane".

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but B was reading "Dodsworth in London" to me yesterday. He read the sentence "He saw a Shakespeare play in the park", then points at the picture on the page (of the duck playing in a fountain), points at another guy, and asks "Is that Shakespeare?". Er, no buddy, this is not about some guy named Shakespeare playing in the park. :lol:

Had to explain Shakespeare was a playwright, which is kinda like an author. B: "Like Tim Egan?" (the author of the Dodsworth series). Me: "yes, except I like Tim Egan better". (I am not a fan of Shakespeare)

• 2 weeks later...

DS recently disturbed an aggressive wombat when he stood on it, thinking it was a large rock. The wombat woke up and kind of charged him, which was fairly terrifying for him at the time.

Afterwards, his conception of reality broke down in one pivotal, deeply philosophical moment: "How many rocks have we walked over, not knowing they were WOMBATS?!"

Since then, he's been questioning EVERYTHING. Poor kid.

• Like 21

One of my 8yos isn't high-IQ as far as I know, but sometimes she comes up with comments I don't expect.  Yesterday she went on a pretty intense rollercoaster for the first time.  Her comment after picking herself up from the bottom of the rail car:  "that was so scary, how can we sustain it!?"

• Like 4