Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

I'm so glad someone liked an old post of mine on this thread because I went back and read a lot of the funny things dd said a few years ago that I had forgotten about.

Here's a new one from this week. We were on a business trip last week and dd saw a lot of people she hadn't seen in years. She was asked about "school" a lot and this week she answered everyone with the same thing.."I don't go to school. I am homeschooled which is way better because I get to study about rational numbers which are fun, awesome & very cool. They are also very easy but apparently schools won't let you learn about them until you are in 7th grade. Isn't that crazy?" She got a lot of blank stares in return.

• Like 8

I bought my DD7 the American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of You" and she is now OBSESSED with puberty. The other night before bed, she was examining her chest and stated rather matter of fact "Mom, I think I'm in stage two now." (as in Tanner stage). Then the other day she found a tampon in my purse: "Mom, would you mind if I took apart this tampon and examined it?" Ha! I let her of course but...Ov vey. 

• Like 6

Sigh...I would love to add something profound to this thread, but, alas, I have 2 boys at home ages 15 and 16. I'm sure I can remember profound things they came up with in their younger years, but they are now in another "phase". The most profound thing said today was: DS16 to DS15 - "The only reason you want to exercise your glutes is so they look good in jeans." :svengo:

I get what you mean about the 'big kids.' It's frequently profound or pointed but not quite cute or precocious anymore.

I was chatting with my son about doing math classes at the University in the fall or spring. He's 13 but small for his age. I was asking how he would feel about being in classes with older people. He said it would be fine. I kept bringing up different scenarios and finally said, "Well, what if they tease you because you are so small?"

He looked at me as if I lost my marbles and said, "I'm smaller than they are  because I'm only 13. What can they say to me? 'Haha your littler than me but your here because you're as smart as I am.'  Yeah... not really too worried about that."

I have to say, his logic is spot on.

• Like 17

DD9, at 6:30 in the morning: "Will you proofread my resume?"

We're meeting with a person in the area who is breeding Ball pythons who a mutual friend set up-figuring DD would LOVE seeing all the cute baby snakes. DD has decided to treat this as a job interview, because "even if she doesn't need help now, maybe she'll consider me for an internship later".

I'm thinking maybe I should warn her....

• Like 12

Since this is my safe place, I figured I could share my parenting win for the day...

From my DS5's camp counselor today when I picked my son up. "Could you please write down exactly what you did to make Sacha so intelligent. That way, when I have kids, they can be just like him. He knows more about science than most of the counselors [at Mad Science camp]."

• Like 11

We just started formal handwriting this week with our 6 year old.

Me: "Each line on this sheet of paper is like a tree branch, and all the letters are birds sitting on the branch."

DD: "Mom, there is no gravitational field in a piece of paper."

• Like 13

Ah, so yet another reason to homeschool...maybe number 19, 728?

Dd4 has NO filter. This is painfully obvious:)

Today she was reading to herself, but she still sometimes would rather read loudly, replete with voices and hand gestures.

I mentioned casually, "you remember you can read silently like mom and dad, like at quiet time, right?"

Her response: "sure mommy, I know. I guess I am just one of those people like (insert neighbor's name) who REALLY likes the sound of their own voice!"

Oh boy. Time to be much more careful what *I* say.

• Like 15

I tend to forget these things pretty quickly, but will try to think of a few of them.

5yo DS was wanting to use some paper the other day to write down his and his sister's powers (he is into super heros).  He later turned the paper over and started writing down numbers couting by 2's on the first line followed by 3's on the next and 4's on the one after that.  We haven't gotten to multiplication yet so I was pretty impressed. 

Since he was having so much fun with the writing (he used to hate writing anything). I decided to buy him his own notebook that he could write anything he wanted in. :)  The day after I gave it to him he had written "Hi I am Gray come and learn ill give... you homework!"  Now he did leave out the apostrophe, but everything was spelled correctly other than that.  Also loved the ... he was really building up that suspense!  He wrote that inside the front cover.  Then in the back cover he wrote, "bye bye."  On the first actual page he is writing a list of books he has finished since he got the notebook and told me that is "their" homework. 

3 year old DD is often hanging around while DS is working on some work.  On more than one occasion while DS has been working on Link Winks, a book where you are given 3 clues and the answer to the 3 clues all rhyme, DD has yelled out an answer to one that DS was struggling with.

• Like 2

Oh and DS is currently in a phase of wanting to spell everything so I am now M-O-M and hubs is D-A-D and so forth.  We went to the library last week and the libarian says, "Hi, how are you today?"  His response was g-o-o-d.  When I explained to her his phase she immediately said, "oh that is w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l!"  He looked at me quickly, guess he can't spell that quickly :)

• Like 6

Is it off-topic to say, wow, it takes so little to get "the look" regarding DD from people she meets? While meeting someone new today, the adult asked DD, "is purple your favorite color?" DD responded cheerfully, "well, I love all the members of the red family, and especially pink, which is part of the red family." Which sparked "the look" and the "HOW old is she?" question. I know it's a quirky response, but id'ing pink as part of the red family doesn't seem that advanced for a 6 year old, you know? Just imagine if she'd mentioned how much she likes square numbers!

I can not count how many times we have been asked how old DS is.  I think my 2 are opposite the norm for their genders.  DS stands out as gifted way before DD does.  The most recent thing that had someone asking me about his age is when I was dropping the 2 of them off for a day of MDO this summer.  He was sitting nicely against the wall readin a chapter book while I dropped off his sister.  As I walked towards him, someone asked me how old he was and when I said 5, she just looked at me and said, "Is he really reading that?"  I wanted to say yes, and he would be reading a more advanced book but wants to read as many books as possible this summer to try to win something from the summer reading program.  I figured that would have been seen as bragging though.  So I just said smiled and said yes before making him put it away to take him to his class.

This thread is so cute! My DS3 got a candy stick (one of those old fashioned kind) and was told he couldn't eat it until the next day. On the way home, he informed his brothers that they could not eat their 'cylinder candy' until tomorrow.

• Like 1

Now that I know about this thread I keep hearing DC say things that fit here :)  Just now:

DS was reading a joke, riddle, brain teaser book.  He read the following joke - The Little vampire could never gain weight. .... His eating was all in vein. 

I had early on a simliar joke that vampires bite necks to get blood. 

After reading this joke he said (or something very similar to), "The most blood is in the head so they should bite the head not the neck." 

Pretty sure most 5 year olds don't think about much less know about there being a lot of blood in the head.

DS7  crawled in bed with us  at 3am the other night after a nightmare. The next day I ask him and it involved a dream where he was reading something with an image that was swirled green and orange that "really freaked him out".

In retrospect, I am nearly certain that this was Francis Bacon's "Study for the Head of Lucian Freud". The day before, he read an article over my shoulder about the Roald Dahl Trust auctioning off that work... I suppose it is good he didn't see "Three Studies for a Portrait of Lucian Freud"...

Despite his **very** rich inner life, DS7 has only had 3 nightmares ever... one involved an image of a pirate, the second involved a blurry Roswell-ish image of an alien, and the third was the image above. Apparently the uncanny valley is particularly hostile terrain for him.

Demonstrating the dichotomy of knowing technical language better than ordinary English:

Dd: when we leave (the baseball stadium) will we use the escalator?

Me: well we might go down the ramp.

Dd: What's a ramp?

Me: An incline plane.

Dd: Oh, yeah I saw that. :)

I wonder what the other people in the bathroom hearing us thought? :)

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

DD#1 excitedly brought me her half-eaten piece of cheese toast this morning. "Look, Mommy!" she said. "It's shaped like ITALY!" Not, you know, a shoe. ;)

Cute:)

It reminds me of one of my more embarrassed moments with dd. When she was maybe 2 1/2 we went into a public bathroom. We had to wait for a bit for the larger stall, and went in right after a women uh evacuated.

Dd very loudly shouted excitedly: "Mom, that lady forgot to flush...and she pooped South Carolina!"

I stayed in the stall until I was positive everyone was gone😊

• Like 9

Cute:)

It reminds me of one of my more embarrassed moments with dd. When she was maybe 2 1/2 we went into a public bathroom. We had to wait for a bit for the larger stall, and went in right after a women uh evacuated.

Dd very loudly shouted excitedly: "Mom, that lady forgot to flush...and she pooped South Carolina!"

I stayed in the stall until I was positive everyone was gone😊

When the kids were all younger and we were on outings SIL would of course bring her son into the Women's restroom with her daughter and her.  We were at an event and had gone to the restroom as a group.  I had a habit of bundling my kids into the large stalls when available so I could assist when necessary, and to free up other stalls for others.  My nephew wanted to join us in this stall one day, so we let him. 

My DDs have no brothers, and DD13 was 5 or 6 at the time.  When DNephew took his turn DD stared, pointed, and asked quite loudly, "Mommy, what's THAT?"  I paused, wondering what to say and if SIL would chime in -- she didn't.  So I just explained that DN is a boy and has boy parts, and DD and her sister were girls and have girl parts.

"Oh, okay."  That reaction right there immediately mollified DN, who was ready to get offended at the idea something was weird about him.  Educating ignorant cousins was quite acceptable.

• Like 1

I have to share another one my youngest dd's comments.   (At some pt in time in the future, I am going to have to compile book with some of her quotable quotes and put it away for her for when she is older.)

Today was a scorching hot day.  We were outside and my 9 yr old said she was sweating and miserable.   My 4 yr old said, "I'm sweating like a Phoenix."  My 15 yr old  asked, "Do you even know what that is?"  Dd's reply, "Of course I do.   It is the firebird."   (My ds thinks she is the equivalent of Rodney's sister.   If you have an astrophysics-geek, you'll probably understand his reference.)

• Like 5

ds1 nicknamed his sister "Amoeba". When he was a toddler or preschooler, I asked him to go put on his "socks and shoes" and he replied, "But I'm already wearing my toxic shoes!"

I wish I'd written more of them down. It didn't help that he was small for his age. He grew up to be a nice, normal, average Joe kind of guy who loves Army National Guard service and works at Sears for a civilian job, but he certainly was a Charles Wallace Murry-esque "Little Professor" back in the day.

• Like 4

I have to share another one my youngest dd's comments.   (At some pt in time in the future, I am going to have to compile book with some of her quotable quotes and put it away for her for when she is older.)

Today was a scorching hot day.  We were outside and my 9 yr old said she was sweating and miserable.   My 4 yr old said, "I'm sweating like a Phoenix."  My 15 yr old  asked, "Do you even know what that is?"  Dd's reply, "Of course I do.   It is the firebird."   (My ds thinks she is the equivalent of Rodney's sister.   If you have an astrophysics-geek, you'll probably understand his reference.)

Are we talking Stargate Atlantis?! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh boy...dd4, whose drawing skills definitely are asynchronous to many things, had a 20 minute meltdown today because her triangle was not up to par. Not such a big deal, except that she was attempting to draw Pascal's 'tricky, tricky' triangle.

Rulers are our friends😄

Geometry has caused SO many meltdowns here because DD9 simply can't draw it "right"-often even with a ruler. She also gets very, very upset when an angle is labeled 45 degrees, but she measures it to be 47. Sigh....

• Like 2

Today my dd3 exclaimed after a spill, "Oh no! I've got pear sauce all over me! I'm a disgrace!"

Recently my dd5 has started to understand when dh and I spell out words to each other to be able to speak over the children's heads, so last week, I switched to Spanish and spelled out H-E-L-A-D-O. She said, "Yay, I want ice cream!"

I was shocked that she could spell that out and translate it in her head having never done any reading in Spanish, particularly with the silent H.

• Like 6

My 4yo daughter recently transitioned from doing most of her reading aloud to me to doing the majority to herself. This morning, she was talking about the zoo's quarterly magazine, recently all about orangutans. She said she especially loved reading the sections about "unnikwa sharectics". I made her repeat it three times before I managed to rename the section "unique characteristics" for her! The problem of mispronouncing words she sees primarily in writing has already begun! :)

• Like 4

Okay, so a couple of years ago, my youngest decided he needed to be sodium for Halloween.

This year?  Yes, he wants to be a tornado.

Just ONE year, can't he be a ghost or a mummy???

At least last year wasn't too bad . . . he was King Arthur (and older brother was the black knight) from Monty Python . . . I can still hear clacking coconut shells . . .

• Like 6

Don't know if this is a gifted thing, a home educated thing, or just a weird thing...

Ms. 6 complains bitterly that I didn't give her any math worksheets to do. When I tell her I don't have her pages printed out (printer on the blink), she wanders off, but a few minutes later I have to order her to stop doing her 11yo brother's math for him. Then she proceeds to write her own worksheet which she does in the car because the car is sooo boring with no schoolwork to do.

If only I could bottle her enthusiasm and dose up Mr. 11!

• Like 2

Okay, so a couple of years ago, my youngest decided he needed to be sodium for Halloween.

This year? Yes, he wants to be a tornado.

Just ONE year, can't he be a ghost or a mummy???

At least last year wasn't too bad . . . he was King Arthur (and older brother was the black knight) from Monty Python . . . I can still hear clacking coconut shells . . .

In the last few years we've had a Loch Ness monster, Naja Haje (DD's favorite cobra), the hydra, the Uraeus, and this year we have Quetzalcoatl, so I hear you on the costumes. It would be nice to just be able to go to the store and buy something, or to have someone be able to identify her (or at least not go "what's that??" and send her into lecture mode). I'm kind of hoping this year they think she's Spyro the dragon from Skylanders, and don't ask.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My kiddos and I were at my aunt's house along with several other members of my extended family.  Most of my family calls the nighttime meal supper, but my immediate family calls it dinner.  So as I was tell DD(3) that we were trying to figure out what we were having for dinner my mom was saying we were trying to figure out what we were having for supper.  This confused DD so I just told her it was okay they mean the same thing.  She then looks at me and says, "So they are synonyms"

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

DS: Peter went into Mr MGregor's garden!

Me: He certainly did! Do you think he should have done that?

DS: No way. His mum told him not to go there. He could have been baked in a pie!

Me: What would you have done?

DS: Um, well if I were Peter Rabbit, I would have gone to the garden.

Me: What? Really?? Why?!

DS: Because if I were Peter Rabbit, I would do all the things he does. He doesn't listen to his mum, and he *does* go to the garden.

Me: Oh. Right. Fair enough.

• Like 10

Mmhmm! Basic literature discussion with a concrete thinker: what was I thinking?

The kid is craving vocabulary at present, so we'll just keep soaking up the words for a little longer. A young friend asked him today whether he has a certain iPad app. DS responded with, "To my dismay, no." He cracks me up! I don't even want to think about how lost he would be at school in February.

• Like 7

After swimming today (I'll try not to rub it in that it is over 80 degrees in San Diego right now)...

Sacha (5): "I'm pooped. I need to go relax."

He then goes into his room and turns on Mixtures vs. Compounds on the Brain Pop app. Chillaxing, homeschool style! :) 

• Like 7