Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

We were waiting outside the youth museum for the rest of our homeschool group, when my 5yo DS got my attention while laughing and pointing at the sign for the current exhibit - "Weather or Not". "Look, Mom! Get it? It's like when you say 'whether or not' but it's spelled like weather because it's about the weather." The old man who worked there and was waiting for a 'regular' school group to arrive and had been talking to the group (with kids up to age 8) like they were preschoolers was a bit taken aback. :D

• Like 4

Okay, first post in this thread but have really enjoyed reading about everyone's children!

Here is one from my daughter this last week.

We were outside drawing with chalk on the patio, and got into a discussion of perimeter versus area. We drew several large polygons on the cement, and my daughter (age 3.5) was walking the perimeters.

She was walking the perimeter of a huge right triangle, and had only the hypotenuse left. Instead of walking it toe-to-heel, she began hopping down the chalk line shouting, "Look mommy, it's a 'HOP-ontenuse! Hop, hop, hop! Ha, ha, that's PUNNY!"

This thread has motivated me to keep a notebook of 'funnies' for her. Thanks for the giggles from everyone else in this thread:)

• Like 12

Not my kid...but from my group. My Mythology and Latin class kids are going to do a "Battle Royale"-a review of the year's topics in game show style, followed by a water fight (with the kids choosing to ally with the Greeks or the Romans-IE-Mythology kids vs Latin kids, with a good number picking one side or the other since they do both)-the teams will get ammo/weaponry by answering questions.

One of my moms had asked me if her teen daughter could bring a friend with her who is spending most of the summer with them-which was fine with me.

She sent me this a little later...

"LOL A (teen friend) asked "why would a Latin class have a water fight?" And E (her 15 yr old DD) said, with a really flippant tone, "this is why homeschool is so much better that regular school. When is the last time your english class had a water balloon fight??"

• Like 7

I LOVE reading these! However, to the previous posters who decided they needed to change from classic British to American read-alouds due to old fashioned

phrases their children were using, I ask, why? I think more of our U.S. students need to an expanded vocabulary! And some adults, too!

• Like 1

I'd forgotten this one, but we had another strange grammar conversation today that reminded me:

About a year and a half ago, I was driving along somewhere when DS (then still 7) pipes up from the back seat, "Mommy, did you know that 'verb' is a noun?"

He really shouldn't say stuff like that while I'm driving. When I have to think that fast, my driving suffers. :D

(We did conclude that 'verb' is indeed a noun, as are 'adjective,' 'adverb,' etc.)

This is hilarious! It just instigated a five minute conversation full of laughter between my children (14 and 8) and I as we discussed that the actual

word "verb" is a noun whereas actual verbs are not. Try having that conversation without laughing and without your brain hurting!

• Like 3

DS9 has taken to daydreaming quite a bit. He assures me he is being quite creative, but doesn't want to share. Nosy Mom asked one day, "Do I get to find out where you go so often?"

He replied, "Oh Mom, I know you're really smart too, but the daydream isn't about me; it's about other stuff, and trust me, it's way too advanced for you to keep up."

==:o

Did I just get an amazing blw-off from my 9YO, or should I be wondering what is going on in that head??? (That is rhetorical)

I am ROFL

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I helped out often in my sons class last year. Once while they were supposed to be reading quietly,  he came up to me with a note folded up into a little square. I unfolded it and it said:

"Mom, will you please summer school me in negative numbers?  Pppllllleeeeaaassseeee!!"

I think I have the only child who begged to be summer school in negative numbers. 

• Like 5

When my 5 year old went to his first dental cleaning, his hygienist was discussing how important it is to brush our "cookie bugs" away.

"You mean microorganisms," my son replied.

Ha!  Ds did something similar at that age.  The hygienist earnestly explained to him the importance of cleaning his teeth to keep the "tooth bugs" from eating them.  When she stepped out of the room to get the dentist, he said in his best stage whisper "Mommy, I'm not sure about this dentist.  They don't even know what germs are here!"  The dentist and hygienist were both :huh: . 

They used the correct terminology with him from then on.  :laugh:

• Like 6

When I took my son for his K physical, he asked the doctor so many questions about what he was doing (blood pressure, listening to his heart and lungs, etc.), and how it all worked, that the doctor finally took his pencil and drew a human body on the paper sheet and proceeded to explain anatomy to my son.  After a 20 minute human anatomy lesson, the doctor proclaimed my son was definitely beyond K and that I should plan on looking into medical school.

• Like 3

We live in an area that has had daily thunderstorms for the last 2 months.   We started school this past week and my 11 yr old is studying deserts and we have been discussing desert habitats, etc.   This afternoon as the thunder started booming, my 3 yod, who absolutely hates thunderstorms, started crying that she wanted to move to the desert!!  ;)

• Like 6

Okay, first post in this thread but have really enjoyed reading about everyone's children!

Here is one from my daughter this last week.

We were outside drawing with chalk on the patio, and got into a discussion of perimeter versus area. We drew several large polygons on the cement, and my daughter (age 3.5) was walking the perimeters.

She was walking the perimeter of a huge right triangle, and had only the hypotenuse left. Instead of walking it toe-to-heel, she began hopping down the chalk line shouting, "Look mommy, it's a 'HOP-ontenuse! Hop, hop, hop! Ha, ha, that's PUNNY!"

This thread has motivated me to keep a notebook of 'funnies' for her. Thanks for the giggles from everyone else in this thread:)

This is cute. It reminded me of the time when my daughter, three years old, was watching her grandpa draw with sidewalk chalk on the patio. Grandpa asked, "What would you like me to draw now?"

"A Viking in his ship," she immediately answered.

"A...Viking?" (Three year olds are fun.)

Last night after dinner, ds 10 was pondering Schrodinger's cat... "I wonder if someone else could look and would then know if the cat was alive or dead. Would that work? But wouldn't the cat know if it was alive or dead even if no one else looked?"  :D

This was completely out of the blue...complete non sequitur and no idea what the trigger might have been.

• Like 6

After dd8's lesson in Caesar's English today, she was waiting impatiently, asking everyone else in the house if they needed to go to the bathroom and do #2. She was begging us to eat prunes to hasten the process. Why? Because she wanted to go in the bathroom afterward and exclaim, "There is a prodigious stench in here!"

• Like 10

DS, age 3.5, was running down the hall.  Only he wasn't running like he usually does, he was flinging his legs out from side to side.  Not surprisingly, he did a face plant on our hard wood floor and I was certain there were going to be tears.  Instead, he popped back up while mumbling, "That gravity.  It got me", and kept on running.

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

Our 3 yod is always saying something that leaves me in stitches.   Today we went to a fort from the Civil War.   Amazingly, every part was open for you to go inside.   On our way back up from going down into one of the dark, dank sections, she stopped and declared dramatically,

"This is not the sort of place that princesses should come to."

:lol:

• Like 14

DD is doing a weekly Disney Imagineering Co-op using the DVDs (mostly 5th-8th grade, a few younger kids). Today, they did trajectory. After the DVD, the parent leading asked what the kids knew/remembered about trajectory.

DD "Trajectory follows a parabolic arc, and you can get a parabola by graphing f(x)=ax^2. I like positive values of a best, because that way it's smiling!

• Like 13

DD is doing a weekly Disney Imagineering Co-op using the DVDs (mostly 5th-8th grade, a few younger kids). Today, they did trajectory. After the DVD, the parent leading asked what the kids knew/remembered about trajectory.

DD "Trajectory follows a parabolic arc, and you can get a parabola by graphing f(x)=ax^2. I like positive values of a best, because that way it's smiling!

I think this one was my absolute favorite yet as it completely epitomizes asynchronousity, in the best way possible:)

A bit of girlish whimsy with the math background and brain to tie it together.

• Like 1

After finishing our last buddy read, A Cricket in Times Square, we had yet to choose a new one.

Dd3.10 bangs on the bathroom door whilst I am inside, very excited, and shouts: "Mommy, mommy, can we read Moby Dick for our new book? It has a WHALE in it?!"

Uhh...Can it wait until I am out of the bathroom?

• Like 3

Earlier this week I was reading my sons a Berenstain Bears book, "'How am I supposed to sweep with your dumb dinosaur toys all over the floor?' argued Sister. 'They're not toys--they're models! And don't move them! I'm working on a set-up of the Pleistocene Age!' Brother protested."

My six year old interrupted, "There weren't dinosaurs in the Pleistocene Age!"

• Like 8

My kid and I are co-reading Sophie's World as an introduction to religion & philosophy. His copy of Ask (art & science) magazine came in the mail and had an article about a kalolo mudskipper, a fish that can live out of water. The photo was of this fish climbing a tree. My son said this reminded him of Sophie's World. I asked, how? He said what's that word, Socosphy? I said, Socrates? He said, no, the other word. Philosophy? Yes. This must be a philosophy magazine because philosophy shows you things you've never seen before, and I have definately never seen a fish climbing a tree before.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

DD's Disney Imagineering co-op class did the video on animal adaptation, and the parent leading asked the kids to create an imaginary animal and present it's adaptations to it's environment.

I think she was a little overwhelmed when DD got up and presented her animal, complete with taxonomy, range descriptions, major predators, major prey species, and ICAN threat status ;). 

• Like 6

This is more a story then a funny:

DD has told me several times she wants to learn 10 languages.  She holds up both hands, fingers spread wide, when she says this and it's really cute.  At first, I laughed and told her that she had a lot of work ahead of her to learn so many.  Then, I started thinking about all the parents on this board who have said "yes" to their kids ambitions and not just brushed them away.  I researched what the library had to offer and found that there are fun learning materials (introduction to language music CDs, DVDs and picture books) for four more languages.  It's not enough to reach ten but enough to give her a smorgesbord to play with.

Yesterday, I overheard her talking to my mom, "I know seven languages!"  Um what?  "English, Chinese, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Violin and Piano".  The library has enough to let her play at reaching her goal. :thumbup1: 

• Like 3

DD goes to a once a week playtime with k-5 kids in after school care at our church, seems to really enjoy it... But she does frequently bring home stories where she's frustrated by kids who won't believe her when she corrects their facts.

Last week's - a little boy was telling her all about how a trillion plus a trillion equal a zillion. Obviously (heavy sarcasm), it's really two trillion. What was he thinking?

• Like 7

DD goes to a once a week playtime with k-5 kids in after school care at our church, seems to really enjoy it... But she does frequently bring home stories where she's frustrated by kids who won't believe her when she corrects their facts.

Last week's - a little boy was telling her all about how a trillion plus a trillion equal a zillion. Obviously (heavy sarcasm), it's really two trillion. What was he thinking?

:lol: My kids have made up so many numbers, each one larger than the next, that I can't keep track anymore--far larger than googleplex. However, they were old enough to give values to the numbers.

• Like 1

DD's Disney Imagineering co-op class did the video on animal adaptation, and the parent leading asked the kids to create an imaginary animal and present it's adaptations to it's environment.

I think she was a little overwhelmed when DD got up and presented her animal, complete with taxonomy, range descriptions, major predators, major prey species, and ICAN threat status ;). 

Oh I am so glad :) wasn't your dd the one who was basically shamed about her wonderful reports and then did not want to do them again?  If I am misremembering, sorry!  

It is a darling story!

• Like 1

Oh I am so glad :) wasn't your dd the one who was basically shamed about her wonderful reports and then did not want to do them again?  If I am misremembering, sorry!  

It is a darling story!

Yes-so I'm glad she bounced back. This class has been great in general. I'm glad we gave co-op one more try. The funny thing was that DD was about the only kid who really WAS in her element for this past week's assignment. Since it's an Amusement Park Science based course, it's mostly physics focused, so a lot of the kids are the technical, engineering minded ones who love building things and putting pieces together, but really aren't all that interested in life science. DD enjoys physical science, but her fine motor skills have sometimes frustrated her. But the Animal Kingdom part of the class has been great for her.

• Like 3

Is it off-topic to say, wow, it takes so little to get "the look" regarding DD from people she meets? While meeting someone new today, the adult asked DD, "is purple your favorite color?" DD responded cheerfully, "well, I love all the members of the red family, and especially pink, which is part of the red family." Which sparked "the look" and the "HOW old is she?" question. I know it's a quirky response, but id'ing pink as part of the red family doesn't seem that advanced for a 6 year old, you know? Just imagine if she'd mentioned how much she likes square numbers!

• Like 4

This morning doing some preschool math with my almost-3-year-old, she was pointing to each shape on the page and telling me it's shape and color. As she reached the last one, she said, "And this is a green-" (dramatic pause and cheeky grin here) "-chloroplast!" She just laughed and laughed, she was so delighted with her own joke.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Is it off-topic to say, wow, it takes so little to get "the look" regarding DD from people she meets? While meeting someone new today, the adult asked DD, "is purple your favorite color?" DD responded cheerfully, "well, I love all the members of the red family, and especially pink, which is part of the red family." Which sparked "the look" and the "HOW old is she?" question. I know it's a quirky response, but id'ing pink as part of the red family doesn't seem that advanced for a 6 year old, you know? Just imagine if she'd mentioned how much she likes square numbers!

Exactly, I remember reactions when my eldest, at 5, would see something & point out if it was opaque, transparent or translucent. She learned the terms one day as what seemed a natural extension of a discussion we were having. OTOH, she is now in college & didn't know what her legal address was (we have a street address & a mailing address, & the subject of legal address had never come up before.)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had a friend's child over to try and help him a bit with his math. His mother has recently made the switch to Singapore, and has been struggling with it a bit. The child is almost 8, and is in 2A.

We were working on a 3 digit subtraction problem with regrouping, with his mother looking on. My dd, turning 4 this month (and who did 2A about 6mo ago) walked up and looked at his work on the dry erase board.

She gave a little giggle, and said, 'hey mommy, that difference (343) is a cube!' And quickly tapped her fingers to tell me which one:)

The mother gave me a very strange look.

Yep, don't think public Kindy 18 months away is an option. Thank goodness for homeschooling:)

• Like 7

LegoMan:

"Mommy, I think I know how a period is made. The subject and the predicate each have half and they get together and form a complete sentence with a whole period." (insert note from mommy that in the middle of his explanation I started to get worried since I recently had a baby and he had questions)

"The E in the word 'ace' must be very sad. He has to do all the work making the A long and the C soft."

• Like 13

My ds (7) got some Christmas presents early, since we're visiting the grandparents.  The one he was most excited about?  The shower curtain with the periodic table on it!  "I can memorize the atomic weights while I take a shower!" BTW, the shower curtain was because his christmas list included "the elements" (as in all of them, ha!)- we had to explain that Santa's not authorized to carry radioactive or explosive materials, and neither is mommy or daddy...

• Like 10

Yesterday, DD frowned at me and told me that, "You're not doing a good job at teaching me Arabic."  So now I'm hunting for coloring books that have some Arabic in them because that's with in my price and commitment range at the moment.  

• Like 6

DH and DD are making gingerbread cookies downstairs (while I hide upstairs-I'm pretty severely allergic to cinnamon) and I hear DD's voice "That looks like a brain cell!! OOH! I can make gingerbread cell models!!

Probably just as well we didn't get cookies baked in time to take to the cheer team party....

• Like 7

I already posted this on FB, forgive me . . . 

DS10, at breakfast, out of the blue: You know, EVERYBODY talks about Caligula and Nero all the time!  People should really think more about the Aztec priests!!

(later, at dinner)

DH:  So, tell me about those Aztec priests!

DS10, with a dour expression: Dad, you do NOT want to talk about Aztec priests during dinner, trust me.

• Like 9

I already posted this on FB, forgive me . . . 

DS10, at breakfast, out of the blue: You know, EVERYBODY talks about Caligula and Nero all the time!  People should really think more about the Aztec priests!!

(later, at dinner)

DH:  So, tell me about those Aztec priests!

DS10, with a dour expression: Dad, you do NOT want to talk about Aztec priests during dinner, trust me.

:lol: I need to hang out with your ds I think.  I wish EVERBODY I knew were talking about Caligula and Nero, even!  I'm so tired of inane chatter about nothing at holiday parties.   :leaving:  That's the introvert crawling back into her anti-social hole. Whew, the holidays are tough!

• Like 3

:lol: I need to hang out with your ds I think.  I wish EVERBODY I knew were talking about Caligula and Nero, even!  I'm so tired of inane chatter about nothing at holiday parties.   :leaving:  That's the introvert crawling back into her anti-social hole. Whew, the holidays are tough!

I just get quizzed endlessly about homeschooling!  Most people I meet are completely fascinated by it-- even the "socialization" questions I get at parties are mostly true curiosity and benign, with only about 1-2% actually being the hostile sort.  Sometimes I kind of wish I could talk about something else LOL.  My holiday bane is my annual Christmas Virus, which currently has me trapped upstairs in my room, trying not to give it to anybody else!

I think that during the holidays, people think, "Well, I know I'm sick, but we only have this party once per year, I should go."  

No, you really shouldn't.  Because then *I* catch your cold, no matter how much sanitizer or soap I use, an long after you have recovered, *I* end up freaking SICK for the holidays yet again.  LOL there's my "bah, humbug" :D  Just had to get that off my chest!   Now if I could just get this ELEPHANT off my chest so I could breathe . . . 

• Like 4