Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

We were at the play place in our mall today. My 7yo came over to me and said... "Mommy, I'm revolving around my left axes (his left foot) as I orbit the play place. It's making hide-n-seek much more interesting".

Later when a rather impetuous little girl insisted for the 15th time that he was not welcome to play in the boat because he was not a girl ds said, "Mommy, I think that girl has been conditioned to reject casual interactions on the bases of gender." It was a bit surprising coming from him as he's usually much more stealth in his verbal expressions.

The lady beside me gave me such a dirty look and felt it her duty to reply, "You've got a weird one there." :glare My dd 4 overheard and said (in the sweetest, most polite voice), "He's not weird mam, he's awesome." :lol: She turned quite red.

My favorite!!! HANDS DOWN! (Both what your ds *and* dd said!) LOL  :lol:

• Like 7

I wish I could post truly witty things my kids have said that make them look all smart and stuff compared to public schoolers.

But, alas, I get stuff like this:

"I know what pubic means. It's right here." (DD, 8 at the time, proceeds to point to her PUPIL).

or, at age 10: "I can't think of another word that has a suffix." Me: "Hm. Well, how about trying to think of a word that ends in ful?" She: "Oh, I know. Waffle."

Or my 5 year old son wanted to tell us, "I'm a ninja. You can't see me." But instead told us, "I'm a inja. I can't see."

:tongue_smilie:

You mean like older DS, who for a year told the stunning knock-knock joke: KNOCK KNOCK???  Who's there?  CATCH!!  Catch-who?  I CATCHING YOU HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Or younger DS, with the auditory issues, who for years gave us gems such as the great emancipator "Hammerman Minkin," slept in his "Jomamas," and fell down when he twisted his "foot-waist." (ankle).  His best was his 2-year insistence that we the impaired parents QUIT insisting that 1 + 1 equaled 2 when he could CLEARLY see that it was obviously 11.  These days he deals much better with the auditory stuff (with the help of reading the words) and his math is better .  . . but the stubborn is in mint condition.

Oh, and btw, I finally got where that knock knock joke was supposed to just last year, 11 years later!  In my defense I was too distracted by the hysterical giggles bubbling out of the boy, and trying to stem my own from the nonsensical answer-- except of course, he wasn't as far off as I thought!! LOL!!  ka-choo!  So I guess the yolk's on me.

• Like 3

After letting us sleep in a bit...

DD: Time to wake up! I want someone awake to take care of me!

Me. You seem to be taking care of yourself just fine. You're still in one piece.

DD: I'm NOT in one piece.

Me: are there pieces missing?

DD: No, not missing. But I'm not in one piece. I'm made of trillions of cells.

• Like 9

Hahaha! My DS loves the cell discussion also. I asked him the other day how he got so awesome, and he told me: "Well, I have awesome cells, and they just made more and more awesome cells! That's how I got this pretty cool eye." *squints and points at his eye*

• Like 5

Hahaha! My DS loves the cell discussion also. I asked him the other day how he got so awesome, and he told me: "Well, I have awesome cells, and they just made more and more awesome cells! That's how I got this pretty cool eye." *squints and points at his eye*

Our 4 yr old woke up this morning not feeling well. After I finished feeling her forehead and checking on her, she said, "It's ok, mommy. I am sure those white things are already doing their job." :)

• Like 9

Today my Ker and I were finishing up her math in the afternoon. This is not the best time for her (normally we do school in the morning) and she started to grump and whine.

Me: What's 16+6?

Dd5: I don't knooooow. It's too haaaaaaard. I'm coooold. Now it's hot. I'm tired. Etc.

Me: Well, what's 6+6?

Dd5: 12

Me: So 16+6 equals?

Dd5: 22. So 26+6=32. And 36+6=42. And. . . (on all the way up to 96+6=102).

Me: Great. So let's write down the answer. How much is 16+6?

Dd5: I don't knooooow. I forgoooot!

Dd4: It's 22, Lizzie!

• Like 9

DD and I made butter mints today. In various holiday shapes including what I have been informed was undoubtedly present at the first nativity, given sanitation in approximately 4 BCE-The Christmas amoeba. Complete with nucleus and organelles.

Think we might just save those for DD's biology mentor....

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

OMG. I am a "failed" parent. DS8 just built a secret passage to his homebrewed lego/unit block castle[1]. It has both a trap using dominoes where it you don't cross the field going from 0-6 you get trapped in a pit but a ball drop where you have to push certain blocks first or things drop on you.

DS read Harry Potter ~12mos ago with its various traps going to the chamber of secrets but I think its time to introduce him to Indiana Jones.

[1]DS8 has spent the last 6+ months building lego castles with lego and unit blocks and building lego battering rams, siege towers, trap doors, etc out of common pieces. We have plenty of knex, lego, and craft stick catapults and trebuchets. This imaginary secret passage is the next step... his imagination has surpassed his desire to build... Time to mix some more pop culture in to the milieu.

• Like 4

What do you get when they read classic literature while listening to classic 80s music?

Ms. 6: "We're not in Kansas anymore, so walk like an Egyptian!"

My son (4) is convinced that Kansas is dull and grey. He saw a truck with a Kansas plate and proceeded to inform us that it was a lot more cheery and not so much a dull and grey truck anymore.

• Like 3

My son (4) is convinced that Kansas is dull and grey. He saw a truck with a Kansas plate and proceeded to inform us that it was a lot more cheery and not so much a dull and grey truck anymore.

Wizard of Oz?

The SSAR conference this summer is at Kansas University, and DD asked about cyclones. Apparently, despite being able to tell you chapter and verse about tornadoes and storms in great detail, the idea of Dorothy being whisked to Oz via a cyclone outweighs it.

• Like 2

Wizard of Oz?

The SSAR conference this summer is at Kansas University, and DD asked about cyclones. Apparently, despite being able to tell you chapter and verse about tornadoes and storms in great detail, the idea of Dorothy being whisked to Oz via a cyclone outweighs it.

Yes. He was on a Wizard of Oz kick at the time. He too is concerned about the cyclones in Kansas, despite know all about tornados. He has absolutely not interesting in going there. Poor Kansas has a bad reputation.

Maine on the other hand is one place that he really wants to visit more than any other. I blame One Morning in Maine for that one.

• Like 1

Yes. He was on a Wizard of Oz kick at the time. He too is concerned about the cyclones in Kansas, despite know all about tornados. He has absolutely not interesting in going there. Poor Kansas has a bad reputation.

Still probably better than everyone getting malaria in "Little House on the Prairie" or Bleeding Kansas and Beecher's "Bibles"...

I actually used to write these down. They are part of my conversations with James series. I need to keep it up. They just become less precocious as they get older. I will add them here bit by bit.

Conversations with James.

3 years 5 months

James: Mummy I need chocolate.

Me: Oh you do?

James: Yes. Need to eat chocolate is the predicate. I am the subject. The predicate is what the subject does. Right?

Me: .....

James: Pwease mummy. Just a wittle bit.

• Like 6

Disclaimer: potty talk.

Conversations with James.

3 years 7 months

James: Mummy, do stars come out of my butt or what?

Me: What!?!

James: Well.... Is a star a cloud of gas or what?

Me: Yes son, a star is mostly made of hydrogen and a little bit of helium. The gas your fart is made from a different type of gas made by the bacteria in your intestines. Mostly oxygen, nitrogen, methane and a little bit of sulfur I think.

James: .....okay, so no stars. I didn't think my fart had enough force to send them far far away.

I believe he had been pondering this one for a bit.

• Like 15

ROFLMAO @ butt stars, coz he could *totally* create them if only he generated sufficient force  :smilielol5:

My normally-good-with-words daughter was talking about traveling by gondola on Venice's 'carpets'. 

Me: "I think you mean canals. Carpets go on the floor."

Her: "Oh...yeah...right..."

And now my non-precocious children are amusing themselves by creating kibble-trails for the dog to follow. Very educational.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have started volunteering at our local library.  I often take the kiddos with me and the people that work there seem to all love them.  They were playing nicely on the computer set up with kiddo educational games so I went to the back to grab some more books to shelve.  I come out and the security guard comes to me to tell me telling me this story.

DD4 goes up to the counter to ask one of the people that works there to fix her back pack strap.  DD then proceeds to tell her how she had take the strap apart and ends with, "I just don't know what I was thinking!"  The security guard was cracking up telling me all this.  All I could say, was yes my children can really come up with some stuff sometimes.

We just started back our semester and Tuesday we started Song School Latin.  I had not gotten it for the beginning of the year due to just having too much going.  Both DS5 and DD4 are doing it.  At the end of the lesson both my children were begging for more.  I said we would do more on Friday and my DS immediately started crying, "but that is just too far away!"  As I am typing this I hear DD singing "Salve, Salve!"

• Like 1

This is more along the lines of 'we need to homeschool because if she says it in public there may be raised eyebrows.'

I went looking for Dd5 after lunch because things were very quiet. I found her lying down with her feet propped up and a suspicious lump under her shirt.

"What are you doing?"

"sshhhh mom, I am just gestating."

"Oh. Sorry. I will come back in 9 months."

Alex (pulling a stuffed elephant from under her shirt) "better make it 24 months mom, this one is an elephant and boy, is it going to hurt when I give birth!"

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

For Christmas DD4 got "Big Kindergarten workbook" and immediately told me this is way too easy.  Fastforward to today when she was working on it.  She noticed it said for 5-6 year olds.  I said, "It is fine, don't you remember when you said it was too easy?  So it is fine for you to do it."  Her response, "Don't I remember when I said it is WAY too easy."  I didn't catch what she meant and so she tells me I forgot the WAY.

• Like 1

From my 7 year old: Mom, I must be adopted because you, Dad and my sister have genes that make you want to keep clean and I like mud and like being dirty so I can only be adopted.

To which I told her we would need a lesson in recessive genes soon and that she was most definitely my daughter, clean or dirty.

• Like 3

A most excellent vocation.

A friend of my girls told me she is determined to be a butcher, which surprised me because most girls that age would be "ewww raw meat!" (I couldn't even pass the meat section in the supermarket, let alone enter a butcher shop, without retching when I was that age, but maybe that's sensory sensitivity?)

• Like 1

My college roommate told me that when she was little and people would ask what she wanted to be "when she grew up" she would answer "Prosecutor." But because of her little-kid accent it wasn't always clear what she said, so people thought she said "prostitute" and would get concerned. Because for a 4-year-old girl "prostitute" is more likely than "prosecutor"???

She just graduated law school. In Chicago. Not Vegas.

Recently my kid announced he knew what he wanted to be when he grew up - "one of those people who program on computers. What are they called? Oh, yeah, nerds! I want to be a nerd!"

I told my Google brother the good news. But I decided against posting that on FB. 

• Like 5

My college roommate told me that when she was little and people would ask what she wanted to be "when she grew up" she would answer "Prosecutor." But because of her little-kid accent it wasn't always clear what she said, so people thought she said "prostitute" and would get concerned. Because for a 4-year-old girl "prostitute" is more likely than "prosecutor"???

She just graduated law school. In Chicago. Not Vegas.

Recently my kid announced he knew what he wanted to be when he grew up - "one of those people who program on computers. What are they called? Oh, yeah, nerds! I want to be a nerd!"

I told my Google brother the good news. But I decided against posting that on FB. 

My children are convinced that nerd and geek are compliments.  

• Like 6

My 3yo announced the other day that her stuffed Minnie Mouse wants to be an ornithojolist when she grows up.

(For context, my 6yo will tell anyone who'll listen that when she grows up, she wants to be an ornithologist who specializes in flamingos.)

One of my mother's favorite stories to tell people is that when I was three I apparently would answer the "when you grow up" question with, "I want to be an ornithologist...or a model." Just covering my bases. You know in case while out on assignment cataloging rare birds an agent shows up, declares that I am gorgeous, and wants to sign a contract. Still hasn't happened yet, but I'm patient.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

When we play twenty questions, I will sometimes give a hint if the girls are stuck and can't figure out what I'm thinking of.  The thing I was thinking of this time was a book, and I had just given the hint "it has words in it."  DD#1 was acting like she still didn't know the answer, so I said, "What's something that has words in it?"  DD#2 responded immediately: "ME!"

Yes.  Yes, you do, my child.

• Like 8

My child reminded me the other day of something she had said when she was 2.5 years old. She was at a place where there were a number of chickens and one of the hens had injured its wing which meant my tiny child could pick it up and hold it. She stood there stroking it and said:

"I love you Mummy hen, with salt." - she definitely knew at that age where food came from and suprisingly was not too bothered - by 4 or 5 she was asking to be a vegatarian, but later decided that meat needed to remain in her diet. 

• Like 3

"I love you Mummy hen, with salt." - she definitely knew at that age where food came from and suprisingly was not too bothered - by 4 or 5 she was asking to be a vegatarian, but later decided that meat needed to remain in her diet.

When ds was three we were in a Japanese garden on a little bridge peering into a koi pond. He was mesmerized and I could hear some people off to the side whispering about the cute little boy who was captivated by the fish. Then ds says (loudly), Wow! These look so delicious!! I wish I could eat all of them!

He now calls cows "steaks".

• Like 4

Warning: bilingual swearing ahead. Avert your eyes if you are sensitive.

After eating a huge dinner:

DH (native French speaker): I could go for a donut.
Me (teasing): After all that food, Piggypoo?
DH (teasing back): Don't call me names.
Me: Anything with poo is a term of endearment.

Sacha (DS6): Yeah, like puta. 

• Like 5

DD5.5 has chosen math problems as pillow talk to wind down before naps and night-time sleep for years. I remember her giggling over the concept of 0 at 2, and then later rolling in laughter over negative numbers. She's been on a multiplication kick lately, and since it's such a beautiful concept she decided to create her own mathematical concept called "pimes".  It looks like an X with 8 dots all around it. It's very similar to multiplication, but the rules are all in her head. For instance, eight pimes anything acts like 1 X__, except 8 pimes 8 = 64, the only instance when pimes and times are equal.

I love how she has created this concept that she has complete control over, which makes her feel more secure as life gets more and more complicated. This goes along with all the things that happen 'in her world'. Instead of an imaginary friend, she has created a separate universe/world/country and she gets to make up all the rules, including rules about government, marriage, weather patterns, etc. She is more accepting about real rules and facts when she can counter with a story about how life works in her country. I love her imagination and am happy she has figured out a healthy way to balance reality vs. her perceived idealized world. Wouldn't that be nice for all of us??

• Like 4

Today my home health nurse was here, and asked dd5 to draw her a picture of anything she wanted (to keep her occupied whilst we were busy). Dd was not fooled and quickly came back with a sheet of paper with a tiny pencil dot in the middle.

The nurse said something like "oh, where is your drawing? Are you starting with a dot?" To which Alex replied indignantly "That's NOT a dot, that is a two-dimensional model of my brother's blastocyst before it became an embryo!"

Blink.

Gotta love NOVA documentaries...

• Like 7

More fun with twenty questions.  DH was asking DD#1 questions about whatever thing she was thinking of, and he said, "Is it small?"  DD replied, "Daddy, you can't just ask if it's small, because my idea of small and your idea of small might not be the same, so it's not very specific.  You need to ask me, is it smaller than <sister>, or is it smaller than this cup, or something like that.  Then I'll be able to give you a good answer."

• Like 4

DD5 came down to dinner with this greeting:

"Mommy, remember when Shubert was composing his 5th symphony...."

Um, no?

Yes, we have had a few questions along the lines of "Mummy, were you alive when [insert historical event up to about 3000 years ago]?"  :lol:

It seems that old is old, and 40 is much the same as 1000 in their eyes.

• Like 3

Last Sunday the Sunday School teacher had a strong request from the kids to play the Transfiguration Game. It is very much like Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock only there is also a RockStar tucked in there somewhere. Anyway, she did not know if it was going to work as the kids have to pair up and duel one another in various levels of transfiguring to RockStar. The group was an awkward size. She is waffling a bit about trying it. Kids are getting antsy. Ds goes up to the whiteboard and explains in AoPS style that current numbers would resulting in two kids not being paired up in the end so the teacher would need to be a "floater" or not everyone would get to RockStar status.

Response from teacher: I do not know what you are doing at homeschooling, but there is no way he is ever going to work out at [local school.]

When I looked over at Ds, thinking something disastrous had happened, he quickly blurts out "Mom, it was a simple permutation problem. It's like none of them have ever had combinatorics. They just stared at me when I made the independent variable tree, but I had to Mom! No one knew what a fractal was! It was like the math book was coming alive and I had to do something!"

• Like 31

DS had me laughing this week.

After preschool swimming lessons he played "Mr. Shark, Mr. Shark, what time is it?" with his classmates in the baby pool. The shark has his/her back turned, and calls out X o'clock. The swimmers swim that many strokes toward the shark, until eventually the shark declares "dinner time" and chases his prey. When it was DS's turn, the times he called out were 10:30 & 8:48 :). In his defense, the kids were just swimming as many strokes as they wished, so the link was not clear.

Then, one boy faked getting tagged because he wanted to be the shark again. DS insisted he'd been tagged instead, but the boy wouldn't back down. DS asked the girl shark if she'd tagged both of them, but she said no, only DS. He turned triumphantly and declared, "See! That's evidence! (The other boy gave in at this point.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This was what happened when my I was discussing pregnancy with my then 2.5 year old (I should have known better)

"So do you think Mom is pregnant this month?" 

"Not yet"

She was right.

And when I did fall pregnant her immediate reaction was:

"It's a girl!" She had to wait a long time before we found out, but she was right.

Now... is that intelligence, being a psychic, chance, or a deep connection? Either way I figured it was cute.

• Like 2