Menu

S/O off "Ham Strikes Again..." ~ WHO OWNS HOMESCHOOLING?

Doug Phillips of Vision Forum posted the following on Ken Ham's FB wall:

"The most controversial home school convention of the decade ended this afternoon in Cincinnati without incident, but also without resolution or response to grief and concern of thousands of home educators concerning the expulsion and character attacks on AIG president, Ken Ham. Hundreds of home schoolers attending the conference expressed their heartache over the treatment of Ken Ham and the sanctioning of speakers teaching a liberal view of Scripture. Now that the convention has concluded, the time has come for a serous evaluation of what took place. This may be the one of the most important moments in the history of the modern home school movement, as parents and Christian home school leaders determine "the rules of engagement" concerning the future of this movement."

We were discussing the bolded part in the "Ham Strikes Again..." thread last night. This morning, SWB suggested a spin-off thread to discuss the topic of WHO *owns* homeschooling? I think it is a good question so, I'm biting. :)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think homeschooling mom's OWN homeschooling....and the few dads too, who homeschool their kids. We control the money.....we control what we buy, who we support, what companies we do business with and who we back politically. This is definitely a radical homemaker womens movement!

Faithe

I own mine. Or, I did. Then, the state made it more difficult. Then, my umbrella made it more difficult. I'm glad I'm close to finished. If I weren't, I might have to go underground like those original homeschoolers who were breaking laws. At least then I would own it myself again.

Homeschoolers are all shapes, sizes and flavors. We are all very different politically, religiously, academically, etc. So, if "rules of engagement" are going to be written up, *who* gets to write them?

I will say up front that, as mentioned in the previous thread, that rhetoric smacks of *war* and *I* won't participate or be there. However, I think it's important to ask: Who gets to speak for *me*? For *us*? Do we only have to agree with someone on one or two points of view to allow them carte blanche to speak on our behalf?

This thread isn't about taking *sides* in this latest issue...it's about standing up for *ourselves*. Does that make sense?

Who owns homeschooling? Who gets to make the rules? Who gets to determine who can and cannot meet and who can and cannot speak?

*I* own it!

Well, I own this chunk of it that starts with my oldest child and ends with my youngest...

:iagree:

Definitely, I feel that parents own homeschooling. Each family has to determine what exactly that looks like in their own home. The language used (rules of engagement) is upsetting. I don't need anyone making decisions, redefining rules, or interpreting my values for me.

WHAT??? :cursing::mad: *I* OWN HOMESCHOOLING. Did you not know that you're all paying me royalties? :lol:

I'm sorry. I hope that is as funny written down as it was in my head.

No one "owns" homeschooling. I find it so very odd, and sad, that there are people who apparently think "Christian home school leaders" are going to determine the path of homeschooling. I am a Christian. I am. However, I am baffled by this entire issue. I keep waiting for someone to say, "Look! You're on Candid Camera!" It's that ridiculous.

I suppose there should be homeschool leaders. What makes one into a homeschool leader? :confused: I would rather talk to other parents who have BTDT. That is why I like SWB. I also love her curriculum, but that is not why I love her. It's because she was homeschooled, is homeschooling, is very smart, and has a lot of wisdom to offer.

I have not had caffeine yet. I should not be responding. I can't help it though. I will be done now and walk away.

:rolleyes:

I was always under the impression that organizing homeschoolers was akin to herding cats.

Homeschooling is a movement and we have a leader?

LOL!!! I'm suposedly a "leader" in one of our local homeschool groups. Getting homeschoolers organized to do what someone else wants them to do (even FUN stuff like a field trip) can make ya want to scream!

I have 2 cats...so pefect analogy!LOL

I was always under the impression that organizing homeschoolers was akin to herding cats.

The problem is when we, who are busy in the trenches, remain silent...self proclaimed kings rise and seize power, making OUR job not only difficult, but sometimes impossible, setting up rules, regulations and tenets we are all supposed blindly follow.

Homeschooling's grassroots are moms and kids....not a very politically strong group....BUT we CAN vote with our checkbooks.....which I intend to do.

Faithe

DH often reminds me that parachurch organizations usually get into trouble with this sort of thing because they take on their own power and personality. They feel free to speak for anyone in the church even though they are not part of the church in day-to-day operations.

And I feel that a conference organizer "owns" the right to set whatever criteria for speakers that they wish. It is their party.

Before even reading the responses, I shouted "I do!"

Curricula vendors certainly do not. I'm an atheist homeschooler who fits appropriate curricula INTO my homeschool, and not the other way around. If all curricula vendors ceased to exist (and please, oh please, don't!), I'd still have libraries, Amazon, paper, pencils, and the brainpower to put those tools to use.

If I needed any sort of Education Proprietor to relieve me of my duties, I'd stick with the public schools.

This is why *thinking skills* are so important! There are so many unfortunate adults who cannot think for themselves, and look at the mess that has caused. My Lord owns my homeschool, thank you very much. It's ham sandwiches for lunch around here today. :D

Homeschoolers are people who go against society's "norm", so I can't imagine getting them to follow a leader. As far as I'm concerned, I'm the leader in my homeschool and the only other leaders are experienced parents who will share their experiences and then will allow me to take what information works for my family and leave what doesn't work.

The very essence of homeschooling lies in its freedom. There are no leaders, but mentors. When it becomes an organization in which set of ideals tells another what is best, we've lost what we set out for in the first place.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

A million times...:iagree:

The very essence of homeschooling lies in its freedom. There are no leaders, but mentors. When it becomes an organization in which one set of ideals tells another what is best, we've lost what we set out for in the first place.

This is what I was trying to say with my uncaffeiniated brain.

You mean this is not our opportunity to nominate someone for the position of Benevolent Homeschooling Dictadrix? (Guys, I am not excluding you. Just seems to me that there are more women than men involved in this occupation.)

Silliness aside, may I just say that given the spirited nature of so many homeschoolers, it astounds me that anyone would even claim to speak for the group. We are diverse. Yet most of us can get along because of our common denominator: doing what we think is best for our kids.

Jane

"This may be the one of the most important moments in the history of the modern home school movement, as parents and Christian home school leaders determine "the rules of engagement" concerning the future of this movement."

I didn't take this quote to mean that any one particular person "owns" homeschooling. I think "the rules of engagement" refers to how we are going to handle our disagreements. This time someone was dis-invited to a convention, and a huge mess followed with other homeschool speakers issuing statements, and homeschoolers being asked to choose sides. It has been insane. I think he has a point. Perhaps the people speaking at conventions, and those running those conventions should determine how they are going to handle these situations prior to the next convention season.

Obviously, each of us owns our our individual homeschools.

The very essence of homeschooling lies in its freedom. There are no leaders, but mentors. When it becomes an organization in which one set of ideals tells another what is best, we've lost what we set out for in the first place.

Oh, I totally agree! I think it would be a wonderful thing if local homeschool groups (co-ops, support groups) would use the word *mentor* instead of "leader" when speaking of the people who organize events, classes, etc...

I think homeschooling mom's OWN homeschooling....and the few dads too, who homeschool their kids. We control the money.....we control what we buy, who we support, what companies we do business with and who we back politically. This is definitely a radical homemaker womens movement!

Faithe

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I didn't take this quote to mean that any one particular person "owns" homeschooling. I think "the rules of engagement" refers to how we are going to handle our disagreements. This time someone was dis-invited to a convention, and a huge mess followed with other homeschool speakers issuing statements, and homeschoolers being asked to choose sides. It has been insane. I think he has a point. Perhaps the people speaking at conventions, and those running those conventions should determine how they are going to handle these situations prior to the next convention season.

Obviously, each of us owns our our individual homeschools.

If you read a bit back in that thread, Dulcimeramy posted links to a similar situation that occurred in CO and resulted in a *Homeschooling Manifesto*. From what I read, it was not about handling disagreements, but defining what homeschooling is and what your homes should look, which...looked suspiciously like the things that Vision Forum teaches.

After reading many of these threads, I learned that this kind of thing goes waaaaayyyyy back. Raymond and Dorothy Moore had to address this and got drowned out. Whomever posted that info sure enlightened me. I guess I had never thought about how the state groups and even HSLDA are part of *narrowing* the pathway. So, OBVIOUSLY we have all allowed SOMEONE to think that homeschooling *can* be *owned* for many, many years now. What do we do about it?

What does *homeschooling freedom* mean? Is it *really* free?

I agree with everyone.

I own my own homeschool movement.

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT; freedom to choose the hows, whys, whens, whats, and how longs of my children's education. No one else but me, my husband and my children.

I have hated how HSLDA thinks it can speak for all homeschoolers, and I will hate how this comes down as well.

I think I have been naive about a lot of things. As a secular homeschooler, who fits into few obvious niches, I have always been accepting of other people, as I would hope to be treated. I don't think it goes both ways. I disagree with Ken Ham and his opinions, I disagree with radical unschooling, yet I would stand up for their rights to homeschool however they choose... as that is what you need to do. Otherwise, someone else can decide that they don't think my way of homeschooling is acceptable. But I know now that Ken Ham, Phillips, whoever would NOT defend me. Not in a million years. They do seem to think that homeschooling is "their" movement. Sad.

Ugh.. rambling.

DH often reminds me that parachurch organizations usually get into trouble with this sort of thing because they take on their own power and personality. They feel free to speak for anyone in the church even though they are not part of the church in day-to-day operations.

I agree that this is problematic. If I felt I needed someone to tell me what view points are valid, and which are not, I would look to my own religious leaders. (Or, indeed, in the case of education, to the public schools. *shudder*)

And I feel that a conference organizer "owns" the right to set whatever criteria for speakers that they wish. It is their party.

:001_smile:

The problem is when we, who are busy in the trenches, remain silent...self proclaimed kings rise and seize power, making OUR job not only difficult, but sometimes impossible, setting up rules, regulations and tenets we are all supposed blindly follow.

Homeschooling's grassroots are moms and kids....not a very politically strong group....BUT we CAN vote with our checkbooks.....which I intend to do.

Faithe

Personally I am sick to death of self proclaimed "leaders". I didn't vote for those folks. I didn't sign up to join their fan club league. I really don't give a flip about their opinion in general, much less religiously. I'm sick of the hen house politics and quiet frankly think it shows a lack of professionalism and Christianity.

If a group doesn't want to bring in a certain speaker - fine. Their choice.

But the bashing and gnashing of teeth and beating of chests is just flat out unprofessional, tacky, unchristian, and what is more relevant: it tells nothing of their own product. If the most they can say in favor of their product or opinion is that it isn't some other product/opinion - that's a really pathetic statement about the quality of their own product, isn't it? And that isn't going into whether their complaints are even accurate or not.

I'm heartily sick of these supposed leaders treating me like sheeple. I don't need them to protect me, guide me, shelter me. I can appreciate a heads up as much as the next person. But no, I can make decisions for myself. I'm a big girl now. I think I can handle differing opinions, ask my own questions, and make my own decisions, tyvm.

And that is the end of my soapbox.:)

If you read a bit back in that thread, Dulcimeramy posted links to a similar situation that occurred in CO and resulted in a *Homeschooling Manifesto*. From what I read, it was not about handling disagreements, but defining what homeschooling is and what your homes should look, which...looked suspiciously like the things that Vision Forum teaches.

After reading many of these threads, I learned that this kind of thing goes waaaaayyyyy back. Raymond and Dorothy Moore had to address this and got drowned out. Whomever posted that info sure enlightened me. I guess I had never thought about how the state groups and even HSLDA are part of *narrowing* the pathway. So, OBVIOUSLY we have all allowed SOMEONE to think that homeschooling *can* be *owned* for many, many years now. What do we do about it?

What does *homeschooling freedom* mean? Is it *really* free?

Sure these disagreements have been going on for a long time, and yet we each manage to make curriculum decisions that work for our own homeschools. Some of have even used materials from both AIG and PHP. That would indicate that we each own our homeschools.

Faithe

Oh my. Don't let the VF crowd hear you say that or they'll decide that homeschooling is a bad thing and should be outlawed.

Sure these disagreements have been going on for a long time, and yet we each manage to make curriculum decisions that work for our own homeschools. Some of have even used materials from both AIG and PHP. That would indicate that we each own our homeschools.

But, SweetBean, there are many, many homeschoolers who have been shut out by these developments. This is what I've been reading in these threads.

I *am* a Christian, but I have no desire for my non-Christian friends to get shut out of anything that serves homeschoolers. I think I would be considered conservative, but I have no desire for my more liberal friends to get shut out of anything either.

If there are going to be *homeschool conventions*, or *state homeschool groups*, or even organizations that go to bat for homeschooling legislature, shouldn't *HOMESCHOOLING* be the defining factor in all of that and not religious or political points of view?

This is why I posted this spin-off thread. This *really* isn't about Ken Ham, Peter Enns and Susan Wise Bauer. That is just the latest sore that needs a band-aid. If you have read all these threads, this *type* thing has come up again and again and again and there DOES seem to be a common thread of an unspoken subset of Christian standards that should be held to.

I have realized that all the things that I have looked to to *protect me* as a *homeschooler* have REALLY done so because I am a *Christian* homeschooler. I kind of think this is why we are where we are. I agree with the pp who said she had been kind of naive. I think *I* have been too. I think a lot of us have and in the meantime, I think "the accent has fallen upon the wrong syllable" so to speak. Some of the posts on that other thread expressed concern for what will happen to homeschooling *in general* if this keeps up. In my opinion, the only way to ensure freedom of homeschooling continuing in this country is to get AWAY from exclusivity.

growing pains. You have a "movement" that started with religious people. People who fought hard, risking a lot, to give us the rights we now use freely. And it's expanded to many other parts of society so that now the homeschooling population is getting to be quite diverse. No one "owns" it. But it may be growing in ways the pioneers didn't intend. Growing always hurts a little for all involved.

But, SweetBean, there are many, many homeschoolers who have been shut out by these developments. This is what I've been reading in these threads.

I *am* a Christian, but I have no desire for my non-Christian friends to get shut out of anything that serves homeschoolers. I think I would be considered conservative, but I have no desire for my more liberal friends to get shut out of anything either.

If there are going to be *homeschool conventions*, or *state homeschool groups*, or even organizations that go to bat for homeschooling legislature, shouldn't *HOMESCHOOLING* be the defining factor in all of that and not religious or political points of view?

This is why I posted this spin-off thread. This *really* isn't about Ken Ham, Peter Enns and Susan Wise Bauer. That is just the latest sore that needs a band-aid. If you have read all these threads, this *type* thing has come up again and again and again and there DOES seem to be a common thread of an unspoken subset of Christian standards that should be held to.

I have realized that all the things that I have looked to to *protect me* as a *homeschooler* have REALLY done so because I am a *Christian* homeschooler. I kind of think this is why we are where we are. I agree with the pp who said she had been kind of naive. I think *I* have been too. I think a lot of us have and in the meantime, I think "the accent has fallen upon the wrong syllable" so to speak. Some of the posts on that other thread expressed concern for what will happen to homeschooling *in general* if this keeps up. In my opinion, the only way to ensure freedom of homeschooling continuing in this country is to get AWAY from exclusivity.

:iagree: I am very conservative and :iagree:

All this does is divide the home schooling community. The focus should be home schooling, not whatever various denominations. Seek religious leadership in churches. Seek homeschooling mentors. And I don't know that I even have much stock in mentors. I prefer a general sharing and flow of information.:)

:iagree: I am very conservative and :iagree:

All this does is divide the home schooling community. The focus should be home schooling, not whatever various denominations. Seek religious leadership in churches. Seek homeschooling mentors. And I don't know that I even have much stock in mentors. I prefer a general sharing and flow of information.:)

This.

lisa

As long as parents have ultimate responsibility for their children (as opposed to the state), then educational choices will belong to the parents. Over the last 5 years, in the UK, we've seen the state try to inch their way into a position of authority over parents and homeschooling families in particular, much to the anger of said families. It wasn't really successful, but I don't doubt it will come up again in the future. In the meantime, I'll use my freedom to vote and to spend my money as I choose, to own and control the homeschooling of my own family.

Honestly, I'm not being naive. I think there is room for both SWB and Ken Ham at a convention, disagreements and all. We the homeschoolers/consumers will decide what we want to purchase. GHC, by dis-inviting a previously invited speaker, IMHO, over-reacted and this has created a bigger problem.

I have heard it said that SWB is not invited to a certain homeschool convention. Is it just one? What is the deal here. I have heard her speak at ENOCH, the state wide Christian homeschool support group. For that matter I have heard secular speakers at that convention. Is this different in other parts of the country? IDK

Groups like NAACP or NAD (National Association of the Deaf) are set up mainly for the purpose of defending the members' rights. They are mainly political groups. Within the groups, the people are very diverse but as long as the focus is on keeping the members' Constitutional rights secure, the groups work quite well and have a lot of power to improve the quality of life. If the home school "leaders" or "representatives" get sidetracked by religious or other secondary issues, the homeschooling movement might become scattered and ineffective when it comes to fighting for good laws to protect the families' right to home school their children in the future.

Honestly, I'm not being naive. I think there is room for both SWB and Ken Ham at a convention, disagreements and all. We the homeschoolers/consumers will decide what we want to purchase. GHC, by dis-inviting a previously invited speaker, IMHO, over-reacted and this has created a bigger problem.

I have heard it said that SWB is not invited to a certain homeschool convention. Is it just one? What is the deal here. I have heard her speak at ENOCH, the state wide Christian homeschool support group. For that matter I have heard secular speakers at that convention. Is this different in other parts of the country? IDK

I agree with you. I think there is room for any and all views on all subjects and a nice little bio of each speaker so each person can decide whom they want to hear and whom they don't. Then, when we attend the talk, I expect to hear about THAT person's STUFF, not their view of another speaker. No matter whom it is. And, I've heard speakers rant on all kinds of random things that have nothing to do with what the posted topic is...so again, I'm speaking more generally. (And this very thing is why it's been YEARS since I have attended a conference. Don't waste my money or time!!!) (Oh! I have to share an example, years ago, Sharon Grimes was supposed to speak at a conference. She is supposed to be a homeschooling *pioneer*. Want to know what she talked about for an HOUR? Progesterone Cream. I. kid. you. not. And she just happened to have some for sale at her table.)

If I need to be warned about someone or some book, I will leave that to my friends who know me and have earned that right in my life. (Although, I have this side of me that if you warn me about someone or something, I'm probably going to quickly go look for it and figure it out for myself. :lol: )

And, I apologize if you thought I was calling you naive. I was making a statement more about what I've realized about *myself* and yet I know I'm not alone in that. :grouphug:

Edited by MSPolly

Groups like NAACP or NAD (National Association of the Deaf) are set up mainly for the purpose of defending the members' rights. They are mainly political groups. Within the groups, the people are very diverse but as long as the focus is on keeping the members' Constitutional rights secure, the groups work quite well and have a lot of power to improve the quality of life. If the home school "leaders" or "representatives" get sidetracked by religious or other secondary issues, the homeschooling movement might become scattered and ineffective when it comes to fighting for good laws to protect the families' right to home school their children in the future.

We should found a lobby that is specifically designed to protect the right to homeschool with as few regulations as possible. No SoF, no pushing certain curricula or world view.... just homeschooling freedom.

We should found a lobby that is specifically designed to protect the right to homeschool with as few regulations as possible. No SoF, no pushing certain curricula or world view.... just homeschooling freedom.

Agree with both you and Merry

I think that much of the problem of the us vs. them mentality stems from the reason why people choose to homeschool their children. Some groups believe it is the only way to raise godly children. Some people feel that it is a divine call.

I know many moms who homeschool because it is just another wifely duty...there really is no other option in their world. In talking with these moms I get the idea that the broadening of the homeschool "movement" to include secular families or less fundamental families is threatening to them. They do view homeschooling as "their movement".

Perhaps this stems from the history of homeschooling, esp. in the 70's and 80's, where the only homeschoolers we ever heard of were "religious" fundamental homeschoolers. I think they see themselves as the pioneers who paved the way for homeschooling freedom...and many of them did just that...and they want to preserve the "movement" the way it was.

Because of the growth of homeschooling among non-religious/non-fundamental/other religions, materials are being produced to meet the demands of these "new" homeschooling adherents. This is threatening to the more established publishers not just in the financial realm, but in the realm of content. When the vast majority of homeschooling publishers all ascribed to a similar worldview there wasn't as much of a problem; curriculum choices included the fundamental religious material or secular textbooks. Now there are homeschool publishers who would promote alternative worldviews! That is threatening to them.

I actually agree there is room for both and then some.

He was not disinvited bc there wasn't "room" for him.

He was disinvited because he was being an unprofessional a$$.

It is one thing to show up with a very different POV and product. That is great!

It is another to show up and slander, disparage, make unchristian and erroneous remarks about other providers.

The first, no one had an issue with.

The second? Not only does not suit the purpose of the venue (to promote his own product) but is unprofessional and inappropriate.

It seems to me that these few men want not only to control homeschooling, but the culture and theology of the church in America as well. The arrogance is astounding. Truly. :glare: Their wives are in the trenches teaching their children (I assume), and it feels like they've stolen the honor due them so they can lead "movements".

I had the misfortune to hear Kevin Swanson last summer, not knowing who he was in Colorado. In his talk he was shrill, angry, paranoid, illogical, and very much lacking knowledge or clarity. There was a lot of "beware classical education and some of the books that will lead your children astray." :tongue_smilie:

I don't care about owning homeschooling. I have enough to do just being faithful to mothering and teaching my children. I do feel part of the recovery of classical education. Like a small monastery "saving civilization" but in that role I happily stand with classical schools (public, private, home) and educators. I think I've always felt that those were "my people" more than homeschoolers in general.

He was disinvited because he was being an unprofessional a$$.

It is one thing to show up with a very different POV and product. That is great!

It is another to show up and slander, disparage, make unchristian and erroneous remarks about other providers.

That is where I disagree with you.

There have been waaaaayyyy more men at the Cincy convention the past couple of years, which makes me sort of wonder who is earning the income for the family now days (maybe both parents work some and teach some, I'm not sure). What it seems to me is happening, however, is similar to what occurred with the Indianapolis convention. There is a movement to put men at the head of homeschooling as well as at the head of their families, etc.

I'm beginning to get the impression that there is a thought out there that we silly (and more prone to sinfullness) women need to be put in our place with regard to homeschooling..... I'm afraid after all these years of division of labor within my own household I rather resent outsiders telling me that I'm not capable of discerning what is best for my children.... If my husband has been willing for me to head up this area of our lives all these years, why on earth should other men be telling me that I'm incapable of doing this properly?