Menu

How do you like your "ham"?

I will not read it. I will not read it. I think it has more lives than a cat :glare:

Am I the only one who wishes that the delightful pork-like topic would die already?

I like my ham cooked with brown sugar and pineapple. :D

ETA:

If you don't mind weeding through the childish jabs at KH there are actual "ham" recipes and ideas in this thread! Take what you like, leave the rest.

Edited by *~Tina~*
to point out the weed plantings :)

I honestly thought the first big long thread was about pork being served at a conference :lol:

I do ours similar to yours...I skewer the pineapple to the ham. I've done it with a Coke glaze, studded with cloves, etc, but I prefer the pineapple with the brown sugar. We do ours as part of a 'big' meal...Christmas and Easter usually, so there's mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli (with cheese sauce if I've really got my act together!) some other veggies, and pies for dessert.

Yum!

I'm not a huge ham fan but the swirled with brown sugar is my favorite.

I made a new dish recently that was MOUTH WATERING good. I bought thick ham slices (it was nearly impossible to find ham without sugar! I've given up on sausage. Even at the HFS it has sugar! I bought ground pork to make my own sausage.) and cubed them. I thinly sliced a head of cabbage and several onions and sauteed them in coconut oil. When they were tender I added in the cubed ham. So easy peasy and the family was drooling it was so good.

I want to make some again!

I prefer ham to be glazed in brown sugar, spiral sliced from Honey Baked.

Ham with a capital H, I would prefer he have a tattoo of Matthew 18 up and down his arms, so that he will seek private discussion first before getting baked and fried and slammed.

I was totally sincere about wanting that topic to die already :toetap05:

There are at least a half dozen other threads in which such jabs can be shared. Not here - pretty please, with pineapple on top :D

Back to those honey baked, spiral, cooked by someone else thoughts :auto:

There are at least a half dozen other threads in which such jabs can be shared. Not here - pretty please, with pineapple on top :D

Yes but it seems to me the ham will not let it go:glare:

Bait wiggling in the water doesn't mean you have to bite ;)

I also like ham topped with cheese and toasted on a sub bun :D

I do ours similar to yours...I skewer the pineapple to the ham. I've done it with a Coke glaze, studded with cloves, etc, but I prefer the pineapple with the brown sugar. We do ours as part of a 'big' meal...Christmas and Easter usually, so there's mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli (with cheese sauce if I've really got my act together!) some other veggies, and pies for dessert.

Yum!

Oh, oh, Easter is drawing near...this sounds like a dinner plan :lol:

I'm not a huge ham fan but the swirled with brown sugar is my favorite.

I made a new dish recently that was MOUTH WATERING good. I bought thick ham slices (it was nearly impossible to find ham without sugar! I've given up on sausage. Even at the HFS it has sugar! I bought ground pork to make my own sausage.) and cubed them. I thinly sliced a head of cabbage and several onions and sauteed them in coconut oil. When they were tender I added in the cubed ham. So easy peasy and the family was drooling it was so good.

I want to make some again!

Sounds good Denise :) I've never cooked with conconut oil, does that provide a flavor or just act as a typical oil?

Actually, I'm not a fan of the honey-glazed ham. Our tastiest ham has been wrapped in foil and dropped in the crockpot for several hours. Then of course the leftovers are good with eggs & cheese... Yum. It's dinnertime!

Hmm. So should I say, I don't like my ham sugar-coated?

Edited by Mommy22alyns

After I have purchased it and left my grocery cart in the middle of the parking lot (while wearing skimpy clothing), I take my ham home to my house where I do not allow shoes to be worn indoors. Then, I put my hormone-filled, nitrate-laced ham inside my lead-lined crockpot and slather it with HFCS Coke.

(Does that cover most of the inflamatory topics?;))

Seriously, we are having leftover ham tonight. Ham in potatoes au gratin.

Actually, if I'm ever having to host my parents, I'm going to be scouring around to find a ham that is prepped without gluten, since my mom has Celiac's. I didn't even know that was an issue!

Wolf doesn't like turkey more than once a year, so I do it for Thanksgiving. My parents are now off ham b/c of gluten issues.

Suddenly moving closer to family isn't as appealing as it once was :glare:

After I have purchased it and left my grocery cart in the middle of the parking lot (while wearing skimpy clothing), I take my ham home to my house where I do not allow shoes to be worn indoors. Then, I put my hormone-filled, nitrate-laced ham inside my lead-lined crockpot and slather it with HFCS Coke.

(Does that cover most of the inflamatory topics?;))

Seriously, we are having leftover ham tonight. Ham in potatoes au gratin.

Not unless your planning to filet the ham first and stuff it with a few debatably-sized slices of meatloaf before cooking. It's a fresh twist on the tur-duck-en! :001_smile:

I saw another post mention coke too, how do you make a coca-cola glaze?

Many different recipes, but mine goes something like:

2 cans Coca Cola

1/2 c. brown sugar

bucketload of black pepper ;) (just because we like it heavy on the pepper)

Simmer slowly until it is reduced to a syrupy consistency. Then, use that to baste the ham as it bakes. I baste every 15 minutes. Yummy!

No ham here. However, if I were to eat such an animal I think it would be dish best served cold. Ice cold.

I can certainly see the merit of your position. However, I posit that you might miss the joy of watching it roast in its own juices... slowly.

I like my fresh-baked ham topped with warmed cherry pie filling. Yum!

For leftovers, I make Grilled Hawaiians sandwhiches, which consists of Dill Rye, ham (duh), swiss cheese, and pineapple rings, nicely toasted.

I don't make this often, but it give it a nice flavor:

Baked Ham

Plunge a 10 to 12 pound ham into a kettle of boiling water. The ham must be completely covered. Then add the following:

1 tablespoon whole cloves

1 stick cinnamon

3 cloves garlic or 1 button

1 cup vinegar

1 cup white sugar

Let remain in kettle over very slow heat for 3 ¼ hours. Do not let liquid boil, but you can see the bubbles underneath in the liquid. Turn off heat but let ham stand in the liquid and seasonings for at least four hours or overnight. Take ham from the liquid, remove skin and surplus far and blend the following and pat into ham:

1 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon dry mustard

Put ham in a baking pan and add ¼ cup vinegar and ¾ cup water. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, basting frequently.

Awww. . .sincere sharing. . .how refreshing :D

I like my fresh-baked ham topped with warmed cherry pie filling. Yum!

For leftovers, I make Grilled Hawaiians sandwhiches, which consists of Dill Rye, ham (duh), swiss cheese, and pineapple rings, nicely toasted.

I loved Grilled Hawaiian sandwiches, but I've never heard of one topped with cherry pie filling. It sounds great though, do you put it on after you cook the ham?

I don't make this often, but it give it a nice flavor:

Baked Ham

Plunge a 10 to 12 pound ham into a kettle of boiling water. The ham must be completely covered. Then add the following:

1 tablespoon whole cloves

1 stick cinnamon

3 cloves garlic or 1 button

1 cup vinegar

1 cup white sugar

Let remain in kettle over very slow heat for 3 ¼ hours. Do not let liquid boil, but you can see the bubbles underneath in the liquid. Turn off heat but let ham stand in the liquid and seasonings for at least four hours or overnight. Take ham from the liquid, remove skin and surplus far and blend the following and pat into ham:

1 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon dry mustard

Put ham in a baking pan and add ¼ cup vinegar and ¾ cup water. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, basting frequently.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it.

Edited by *~Tina~*

I'm sorry, I think I was thrown off by ham being in quotes. My bad.

Probably the MSG and nitrates. It's too bad that pretty much all commercial hams are ruined by that stuff. :001_unsure:

Yes, it is - MSG and nitrates. I can't tolerate even a little bit of it in anything.

Have you been told that you are a wise lady today? If not, "You are a wise lady." :)

Spiral sliced and honeybaked

:iagree: and then I use the bone to make delicious black beans :001_smile:

Came back to add, dang, now I'm hungry. I happen to have some nitrate-free ham in the fridge - off to raid !

Edited by laundrycrisis

I'm sorry, I think I was thrown off by ham being in quotes. My bad.

Thank you Shannon. I am sorry if the quotes stirred it in that direction. It was a half-vent of sorts on my part, but I was totally sincere in wanting that topic to go away already :D

I still count myself fairly new around here and am obviously still a bit unskilled at the art of posting without rabble-rousing.

So. . .let me try again. . .how do you like your ham? (no quotation marks!) ;)