Menu

The homeschool wars: I need a break!

I'm thinking about just taking a week or two off of this forum until a new topic can come up. I just want to talk about school, kids, and maybe tea every now and then. I don't want to argue or shut out someone who believes differently from me. Honestly, if all my friends were the same, what would we talk about? I love talking to all kinds of people. For what it's worth, I'm one of those Christians that believes in a literal 7-day creation and the inerrancy of scripture. I homeschool for educational rather than religious reasons, and I used to be a gemini until they changed the charts, now I don't know what I am. And I love chocolate cake, but not chocolate ice cream. That is all.

:iagree:

Although I used to be an Aries before they changed the charts!

Thanks for bringing this up since it has been on my mind also. I am always reminded of the 'divide and conquer' saying when it comes to these things.

Hmm I used to be a Leo, it changed but by golly I am still a Leo! I am a LION, not a.. well whatever comes before Leo, I forget.

I love chocolate cake as well as chocolate ice cream. Mint chocolate chip is my favorite though.

I love dipping my pizza in ranch.

I believe the Lord created earth, 7 days or 7000 days, doesn't matter to me.

I started homeschooling because the teacher my dd had in school was... not nice. She thought she could school me as well as my daughter. :glare: I had news for her. So basically for educational reasons. Now none of my kids want to go to school!

Japanese Cherry Blossom is my absolute favorite Bath and Body Works scent! Closely followed by Wild Honeysuckle and Magnolia Blossom.

:D

Hey, I'm happy to talk about other things!

I'm the Scorpioest of Scorpios, regardless of any changes in the charts.

I like chocolate, period (including in wine form).

Rocky road is my favorite ice cream flavor, but I'm more of a savory girl. I'd rather have a big bowl of salty, buttery popcorn.

I don't believe in abiogenesis. I don't believe humans ever rode on dinosaurs.

I homeschool because my eldest dd was reading Stuart Little when the school wanted her to learn her alphabet.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Wait, they changed the chart? :001_huh:

Um, maybe this is a sign I need to get out more.

News to me as well! Not that I care what sign I am (although it did give me an excuse for some behaviors, lol).

I won't even read the threads going on if they even hint at controversy in the hs community. I have enough controversy just trying to raise a small tribe and figure out my life as it is.

I don't like ice-cream anymore, Japanese Cherry Blossom is definitely a favorite scent, and all I want right now is salt and more salt. :D

Oh, and I homeschool because what I saw in just the first week of student teaching convinced me I would never put my dc in that situation...ever.

I was thinking the same thing last night after I had myself all worked up reading some very annoying threads. I do not need anymore stress in my life.:001_huh: I like dark chocolate not milk chocolate, and could not care less about signs.:lol: Forgot to add that i homeschool for religious, and educational reasons.

I'm the least piscesesc of all pisces and therefore reject their reality and replace it with a banana. I hate chick peas yet I eat them (or hummus) once every few months just to make sure I still don't like them. I homeschool because it was what lay behind Door Number 4 when DS and I played "Let's Make a Deal" with our local PS.

I like chocolate ice cream but not chocolate cake! But I prefer a cherry pie to either.

I like to base my science on literature: I think Odysseus' lethal creatures & medieval dragons could have been dinosaurs. :D But I haven't written a science curric on that yet. Sorry.

I'm a cancer. I forget what that means, & yeah, now I'm something else. I forget that, too. Please don't hold the cancer thing against me. It really worried me as a child.

Now that I am over my dismay at the change in charts:

All chocolate, all the time, and the darker the better.

My faith is not based on the how of creation, only on the who.

I homeschool because it is what I believe is educationally, emotionally, and developmentally in the best interest of my children. Our faith is a part of who we are and all we do; it is naturally a part of their education, just as it would have been if they were enrolled in a regular classroom.

Love twisted peppermint and clean cotton. (I have to avoid most dyes in lotions and soaps because of some weird sensitivity. :glare: )

Most days I am happy to have a complete grown up thought that doesn't center on what I am serving for supper or the fastest route to the urgent care center. (I have a dare devil son.)

:grouphug:

ETA: I don't know my sign, then or now. Never seemed important.

Edited by BLA5

I homeschool because it was what lay behind Door Number 4 when DS and I played "Let's Make a Deal" with our local PS.

I love this and it pretty much sums up why I started homeschooling.

I love this board but up until just recently I was too shy to post. I'm trying to get over that and play along.

I'm incredibly picky with sweet foods but I'll eat anything made with salt.

Oh, and I used to be fluent in Swedish.

I was born in the year of the Rabbit and that's about as zodiacal as I can get. That's the Chinese zodiac, though!

I have a salty tooth instead of a sweet tooth, though I love Lindt's "Touch of Salt" Dark Chocolate which combines both.

My favorite ice cream is peanut butter and chocolate.

I homeschool because I don't delegate well.

At McDonalds I put fries on my burger!!

When I was pregnant I would put BBQ sauce in my choco milkshake and yes that sounds gross now.

I actually got to buy everything I wanted for school this year, first time ever in 5 years so that rocked.

Today I drove over 40 miles to buy FLORIDA souvenirs at a welcome center to make a state box for a group I joined and bought my son a shark in a bottle. We came home to eat dinner while passing it around the dining table when it suddenly hit me, we were at the table having dinner passing around a dead shark soaked in preservatives. Only a homeschooler I think lol.

This thread has me lol!

I was an Aquarius the last time I checked.. but I have no idea what that's supposed to mean for me anyway!

I HS for educational and family reasons - simply, it just works for us. :001_smile:

YE/OE? I have no idea. I'm looking forward to the Lord explaining that to me someday, like everything else I don't understand in Scripture! At any rate, I don't think it affects my day to day efforts to live as Christ did.

And I love chocolate in any form. Far too much, in fact. Especially when it's as one of the Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavours... :drool:

At McDonalds I put fries on my burger!!

When I was pregnant I would put BBQ sauce in my choco milkshake and yes that sounds gross now.

I actually got to buy everything I wanted for school this year, first time ever in 5 years so that rocked.

Today I drove over 40 miles to buy FLORIDA souvenirs at a welcome center to make a state box for a group I joined and bought my son a shark in a bottle. We came home to eat dinner while passing it around the dining table when it suddenly hit me, we were at the table having dinner passing around a dead shark soaked in preservatives. Only a homeschooler I think lol.

:001_huh::lol::lol:

I will bring some ice cream to eat with Jean. I love peanut butter and chocolate ice cream. What's really good is have chocolate ice cream and put some PB in the microwave and pour over it. It's yummy.

I'm a Taurus. I think the kerfluffle with the zodiacs was all a misunderstanding. I know I'm still bull headed and not even the realignment of the stars will change that.

My dh sanded and refinished our hardwood floors over the weekend. They're dark mahogany, gorgeous!

Today my son and I laughed in school and we finished an algebra assignment. After that all the rest is gravy. :D

I'm addicted to Magic Shell.

I used to put fries on my cheeseburgers in high school. Now that someone has mentioned it I want to go get a cheeseburger and fries.

Chocolate - in all forms - is wonderful and should be a right.

We homeschool because our boys and the local public school system were completely incompatible. Now I can't imagine anything different.

I used to be a Cancer but I think now I'm a Gemini.

I can't think of anything else right now except I'm currently marveling how a 9 year old can go from tearfully sick to literally bouncing off the walls in less than two hours. :001_huh:

I'm a Leo, which seems to fit me...or so I'm told.

My favorite ice cream at the moment is Bryer's Heath. It is soooo good. However, I'm actually more of a cheese and meat gal. Typically I'd choose potato skins over the chocolate.

I enjoy a nice glass (or two) of wine, although in the summer I tend to lean towards a nice margarita. I'm addicted to diet pepsi, which I know is a bad, bad thing. We tend to eat naturally/organically, so the whole diet pepsi thing really doesn't work with that...but...

I love music and I love concerts, but haven't been to one in far too long. I'm taking dh to see Bob Segar (his fave) in April. The best concerts I've been to were Dave Matthews Band and Paul McCartney. In fact, I've seen both of them more than a couple of times, LOL.

I'm a church-going Christian that doesn't take kindly to people insinuating I'm not one if I don't think the Flintstones really could have kept a pet dinosaur. Oh, and yes, my family LOVES Harry Potter...which really ruffles some feathers also...

Oh, and I love to play board games. We recently went through a "Clue" phase, but we are currently in "Scrabble" mode! :D

in harmony like that.

I can't separate my two reasons for homeschooling which are religious and educational so don't ask me to choose which side to be on. I'll just be the odd guy out.

I love good quality vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate. Diet Pepsi, too.

I like chocolate ice cream but not chocolate cake! But I prefer a cherry pie to either.

Chocolate ice cream yes, don't care for cakes except cheese cake.

I'm a cancer. I forget what that means, & yeah, now I'm something else. I forget that, too. Please don't hold the cancer thing against me. It really worried me as a child.

Me too! Including being freaked out by the name 'Cancer' as a child

Wow, we must live parallel lives.

I homeschooled because I like my kids and found the topics of early childhood development and education to be infinitely fascinating. I always thought at some point it wouldn't be fun and I would let them go to school. hmmm, nope, didn't happen

I'm a Taurus.

I like chocolate, the darker the better, and salty licorice.

I think it is sad that politics and religion are such huge dividers. I think differing viewpoints are great. Judging others for their views is not.

We homeschool because I LIKE spending time with my kids and because my oldest could read chapter books in two languages in Kindergarten.

I'm still a Gemini. I don't care a bit what that new chart says!

I love mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I homeschool because I wanted to make a mindful decision, not just send my kids off to school because that's what people do when their kids turn five. I just couldn't comfortably put them on a schoolbus at such a tender age.

My favorite ice cream at the moment is Bryer's Heath. It is soooo good. However, I'm actually more of a cheese and meat gal. Typically I'd choose potato skins over the chocolate.

I totally thought you said Bryer's Health ice cream, and I was thinking how is that even possible.:lol:

I think I am one of 100 people in North America that LOVES rum and raisin ice cream.

I love apple pie, BUT when I a young lass I happened upon a strawberry, apple, rhubarb pie. It was divine and that is my favorite pie, but alas I never found it again and I suck at baking pies.

I'm a Virgo. My mother was a Virgo. My oldest daughter is a Virgo. Yet, we're not very organized. I feel like my family got the short end of the Virgo stick.

I like chocolate in all forms, the darker the better. However, just because there are healthy antioxidants in dark chocolate I haven't allowed that to fool me into thinking it's "health food" like some people I know.

I prefer to eat Cheetos with chopsticks so that the orange powder doesn't stain my fingers. I've always known my husband and I were meant for eachother, but my friends were utterly convinced when I posted the following conversation between us in my Facebook status: DH: "Do we have any chopsticks?" ME: "I don't know. Why?" DH: "I was thinking of having some Cheetos."

I forgot to add my "why do I homeschool and how old do I believe the Earth is."

I started homeschooling because I'm a glutton for punishment. I continue homeschooling because I ended up kind of liking it. I think it's better for my kids, too.

I believe the Earth is really, really old. Really. Old. I also believe that God did it. All the rest is fun to debate, but I think we're fooling ourselves if we think we can truly KNOW the answer to those questions this side of Heaven.

Edited by EJCMom

Oh, I love this thread! Thank you for lightening things! :001_smile:

Like Mrs. Mungo, I refuse to give up my Scorpio status.

I adore most things chocolate, and mint chocolate chip is my all-time favorite ice cream. It must have chocolate sprinkles on it too. Actually, I'm a sucker for almost anything sweet, including pies.

I don't have a particular belief as to WHEN God created the earth, but I do believe he did. I'm open to hearing all sides of the YE/OE and other religious ideas/debates with the realization (imho) that we really are not meant to understand the exact answers because man has limits. I find it's safer to lurk in the controversial threads rather than risk being misinterpreted should I speak and not adequately express myself. :D

We are not homeschooling for religious reasons, although some of our curriculum is Christian (ie. Rod & Staff). When my son was about to enter K, he was already reading chapter books. Knowing what I did about the schools here and unable to afford private schools, I feverishly researched homeschooling, convinced dh that we needed to do this, and here we are! I believe it's a lifestyle, and although I never would have thought I'd be one to live it if you had asked me 7-8 years ago, I cannot imagine the alternative for my family.

I'm also a very wordy person... it drives my hubby nuts! :lol:

I was born in the year of the Rabbit and that's about as zodiacal as I can get.

Hey, me too! :D

I love coffee ice cream.

I want everybody to just get along.

*Envisioning myself as a beauty queen, smiling, waving and saying "World peace".*

:tongue_smilie:

This may come as shock but I am a LEO. :D

I would eat pretty much anything if it were dipped in chocolate.

My favorite ice cream is german chocolate cake from Coldstone Creamery and if I move back to the U.S. it will be for that alone!

I am definitely YE but I don't think it defines my christianity (or yours).

I hate cherries or cherry-flavored anything. HATE HATE HATE.

But I grew up eating banana and mayonnaise sandwiches. YUM. :drool: