Menu

I am not sure about my faith anymore.

I haven't talked to anyone IRL about it, but it's been on my mind for a long while.

I was born Catholic, my whole family is Catholic even though they aren't practicing Catholics. I did communion, but chose no to do confirmation.

At 15 I moved in with my dad. When I was about 17, I was "saved". Nothing really changed. I was the same teenager I always been. I've never really read the bible or thought much about God or Jesus at the time.

At about 23, I lived in Georgia and dh and I were attending a Southern Baptist church. I asked Jesus in my heart again. I then tried to do all the right things: I went to bible studies, tried my best to keep up with Bible reading, tried to do the "right" things to please God. But other than that nothing really changed.

I have been having this feeling of being scared of what would happen if I didn't do the "right" thing. I am scared of what God would do to me (or my kids) if I "sinned" in some way. I feel like I'm living my life based on fear. I don't know why I feel this way. God is supposed to be the all-loving-God. He would never hurt me based on my actions or behaviors, right? Well, I'm not so sure...

The other thing that has been heavily on my mind is why do terrible things happen (for example, what recently happened in Japan) and why would a loving God allow these things to happen? I just cannot come up with a good enough answer.

I'm not sure what I want out of this post. I guess I just feel the need to share and to talk to someone about it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

You may PM me. I was "born" and raised Catholic. I now realize I was raised Culturally Catholic (which is different because the family I believed in did not love God, they only belonged to a religion) and that is entirely different than a life through faith in Christ.

Faith. Not actions. Not a religion. Not pleasing others. Not doing the right things. Faith. Born of love, lived through life, admittedly often mistaken, often apologetic, and still muddling through. I haven't found the "right" religion and I don't believe there to be one. I haven't mastered the "right" way to live and know that I never will. But I do know, the Lord my God loves me, not for that which I've done, but simply because I am His, made in His image. I have intrinsic value simply because He made me, He died for me, and He loves me. My value is not in appearing perfect or the things I do but just simply that I AM.

Religion befuddled much for me. I love the quote, "I am not what I should be, but thank God I am not what I was." But all changes, glory given to God, came not of myself or my efforts for all my TRYING to be something, but from the inside out and out of adoration and love... Not guilt and burden.

Feel free to PM me.

I know only this: God is sovereign and in complete control of the world. Why things happen is not known to man. His thoughts and ways are not our thoughts and ways. I know He loves mankind enough to sacrifice His only son to pay for our sins. We're no longer under the law where if you do this or that wrong, you're zapped. While one of God's attributes is wrath, His other attributes are grace, mercy, lovingkindness.

I encourage you to read the gospels again, starting with John. Read it slowly and prayerfully and rest in the comfort of God's love. :grouphug:

Okay, a couple of thoughts -- there have been threads here recently in which people who had a familiarity with (or were born into) the Catholic church in childhood who later became "born again". They spoke of how they appreciated what they at this point saw as "freedom" in Christ. And yet, eventually, they made their way back to an original/historical church (whether Catholic or Eastern Orthodox) because there is something to that. There is something to being a part of a church that is "doing church" like the early church, like the apostles. So my first thought would be to consider that -- consider taking a fresh look at Catholicism, or perhaps take a new look at the Eastern Orthodox church which shares the history of the Catholic church (these two churches were one for the first 1000 years of Christianity).

Another thought, know it's okay to question, doubt and wonder. God is not offended by this. And know that God is not a God of wrath but a God of love and mercy. Really read and get to know the parable of the prodigal son. Whatever *you* do, God -- like the father in the parable -- is always there and is always loving and merciful.

:grouphug:

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

My suggestion: find a near-by Catholic church and make an appointment to talk to a priest.

Also, a loving God created a perfect world and gave Man free will; sinful man caused it to become less than perfect. That's why we need a Savior, which our loving God generously provided through His only Son.

I know only this: God is sovereign and in complete control of the world. Why things happen is not known to man. His thoughts and ways are not our thoughts and ways. I know He loves mankind enough to sacrifice His only son to pay for our sins. We're no longer under the law where if you do this or that wrong, you're zapped. While one of God's attributes is wrath, His other attributes are grace, mercy, lovingkindness.

I encourage you to read the gospels again, starting with John. Read it slowly and prayerfully and rest in the comfort of God's love. :grouphug:

Yes, he sent His only son because he loves mankind. But why put them through horrible things? He's in complete control of the world and he loves us, yet he still lets awful things happen when he has the power not to. I don't know how to equate that with love.

Okay, a couple of thoughts -- there have been threads here recently in which people who had a familiarity with (or were born into) the Catholic church in childhood who later became "born again". They spoke of how they appreciated what they at this point saw as "freedom" in Christ. And yet, eventually, they made their way back to an original/historical church (whether Catholic or Eastern Orthodox) because there is something to that. There is something to being a part of a church that is "doing church" like the early church, like the apostles. So my first thought would be to consider that -- consider taking a fresh look at Catholicism, or perhaps take a new look at the Eastern Orthodox church which shares the history of the Catholic church (these two churches were one for the first 1000 years of Christianity).

Another thought, know it's okay to question, doubt and wonder. God is not offended by this. And know that God is not a God of wrath but a God of love and mercy. Really read and get to know the parable of the prodigal son. Whatever *you* do, God -- like the father in the parable -- is always there and is always loving and merciful.

I was born into a Catholic family, but it was never practiced. I never actually went to mass or did anything besides communion. I think the only reason my family had me do that was because I grew up in Germany and most people were Catholic at the time and that's just what you did. It was very connected with the school I went to. It was a public school, but religion was a subject.

I decided not to do confirmation because I couldn't understand why I should. My family all did it, yet they never went to mass, they didn't even own a bible (as far as I knew), etc.. I guess I just thought it was all pretty hypocritical.

I don't know if returning to Catholicism is what I need, since I never really was there in the first place.

God did not cause the earthquake. We live in a fallen world. Earthquakes happen.

Don't be afraid of God. He's not out to get you. He's not up there, waiting for you to screw up so he can punish you. He's not up there right now, looking to catch you in a sin. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

God is like the father in the parable of the Prodigal Son. He's not out there, waiting for you to come home so he can yell at you and tell you he wants you to repay your inheritance before he lets you back into the family. He's not waiting for you to screw up so he can punish you. Turning to God is a restoration of our relationship with God. It's being accepted into the family.

I've recently *become* Catholic. Well, actually reverted, but I hadn't been since I was about 6 so I don't remember much. :) Why? I started reading the church fathers (the Didache). That and I have this wayyy cool Priest. I *heart* him. So I agree with Ellie, call yours. All the ones I've met have been pretty spectacular *real* people.

And don't be afraid of these questions. God doesn't get mad at them-and I think He likes them. Keep asking. And, he can handle your anger and fear, too. Don't be ashamed of feeling either way--we *all* do. :grouphug::grouphug:

ETA: I used to think you just went to mass because that's what you did (cultural Catholic). Or didn't do ;P. I used to think Catholics weren't saved, or were just happy with this lukewarm, status-quo faith. I was horribly, terribly wrong. I have met some of the most amazing, deeply God loving people at Mass. It's not all cultural.

Edited by justamouse

Yes, he sent His only son because he loves mankind. But why put them through horrible things? He's in complete control of the world and he loves us, yet he still lets awful things happen when he has the power not to. I don't know how to equate that with love.
Or rational, critical thinking. ;)

If you want to talk with someone who wrestled with this for years, including Catholicism, and walked away from it all because in the end there was no logic, only the Just Have Faith card, please feel free to pm me.

My mom sent me this when I had the same question about why bad things happen. I thought I would share this with you. I have been where you are many times and would love to PM you but right now I have to run... do you mind if I send you a PM later??

Life Principal 29

We learn more in our valley experiences than our mountaintops.

Adversity, anguish, trials, tribulations, and heartaches operate as lessons in the school of experience. They bring us to a place of new insight and understanding; they can alter our perception of the world and of God, and lead us to change our behavior. The Lord, of course, is the ultimate Teacher. He is the One to whom we must look for the meaning of any lesson related to adversity.

God allows adversity for at least three reasons:

1 God uses adversity to get our attention.

The Lord uses a wide variety of methods to gain our attention when necessary; adversity is one of them.

2 Adversity leads to examination.

At times God sees fit to allow adversity into our lives to motivate us to self-examination. The winds of adversity blow away the surface issues and force us to cope with things on a deeper level. Adversity removes the cloak of what we are supposed to be to reveal the truth of who we are. The "real us" shows through.

God does not want negative elements from the past to lie around our lives and cause us trouble.

Each of us is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and He wants us to be clean and usable vessels. We have no reason to allow the rubbish of the past to remain in our lives for years--old memories, haunting temptations, the baggage of unresolved hurts and unreconciled relationships. The Lord desires that we free ourselves of anything that might keep us in inner bondage, whether mentally, emotionally, psychologically, or spiritually. When we become complacent in accepting the hurts of the past as part of who we are, the Lord may bring a little adversity to lead us to pursue instead who we might be in Christ Jesus.

3 The effective lesson leads to change in behavior.

Teachers often prepare behavioral objectives for their classroom lectures. These objectives list in concrete and measurable form the behaviors that the teacher desires for a student to display as proof that the student has learned the lesson. The lessons that the Lord teaches us through adversity are ultimately for that very purpose: a change in behavior, including a change in the belief that prompted the behavior.

It isn't enough that the Lord gets our attention or that we engage in self-examination. We can see a problem and know ourselves thoroughly, but unless we change our response to God in some way, we will never benefit fully from adversity or grow as a result of it.

Self-examination may feel painful. But remember, whatever you find within yourself, Jesus Himself came to help you carry that burden to the cross and deal with it there, once and for all. He has your best interest in mind. He knows that pain sometimes paves the path to complete healing and restoration.

If you are willing to allow God to surface the inner rubbish of your life, and of you are willing to change what needs to be changed, you will emerge from adversity closer to Christ, more mature as His child, and with far greater potential to reflect the love of God tho the world around you.

I struggled with the same questions, and exactly the same issue of living guided by fear not love. I'm now atheist and so much happier and more at peace.

That may not be your answer, but finding what your answer is, is a good thing to do. Faith and belief is different for everyone, I don't believe that it's something that is a choice or can be forced when it isn't there. It takes courage to come to a place where you are comfortable in what you do or don't believe. You will get there.

I struggled with the same questions, and exactly the same issue of living guided by fear not love. I'm now atheist and so much happier and more at peace.

That may not be your answer, but finding what your answer is, is a good thing to do. Faith and belief is different for everyone, I don't believe that it's something that is a choice or can be forced when it isn't there. It takes courage to come to a place where you are comfortable in what you do or don't believe. You will get there.

:iagree:

I was raised in a charismatic sort of denomination, my husband LDS. We are both atheists, but it took me a very long time to get past the FEAR. As it says, god may not have give me a "spirit of fear", but the church surely did. I refuse to live in that fear.

My mom is a (now non practicing) Catholic; my Dad is Baptist. I spent a lot of time as a kid being scared of God, and I spent a lot of time as a young adult being angry at God. Neither of those worked for me. Not believing in God doesn't work for me, either. I just...do believe. I heard an interview with Frank Schaeffer where he said that he was the sort of person who, if he wanted to be an atheist, would pray to God to help him become one. That's kind of me. Anyway, I'm not scared, and I'm not angry now, and I'm not an atheist, but I don't believe in a god that people need to be scared of, either. That god doesn't make any sense to me. I don't really know why bad things happen, except that I think we're here to figure some things out for ourselves and to help each other out. And I know that you understand love and peace and joy a lot better when you've felt the absence of those things, too. For me, bad things happening makes a whole lot more sense if this world isn't all there is than if it is. I know, of course, that not everyone feels that way, and I get that, too.

I was born into a Catholic family, but it was never practiced. I never actually went to mass or did anything besides communion. I think the only reason my family had me do that was because I grew up in Germany and most people were Catholic at the time and that's just what you did. It was very connected with the school I went to. It was a public school, but religion was a subject.

I decided not to do confirmation because I couldn't understand why I should. My family all did it, yet they never went to mass, they didn't even own a bible (as far as I knew), etc.. I guess I just thought it was all pretty hypocritical.

I don't know if returning to Catholicism is what I need, since I never really was there in the first place.

I really get what you're saying. When I said I was *culturally* Catholic, it was similar to yours. We were raised to be what you might call Sunday morning Catholics. We never missed church but if you think what we heard (or tuned out) on Sunday made one bit of a difference Monday through Saturday, I'd have laughed LOUDLY. Um, no. And then as I got older I "believed" the way one would believe in Abraham Lincoln. Did he exist? Sure. Was what you read true? Sure, why not? Jesus? Sure. The Bible true? Why not? I was pretty apathetic and defined myself as Catholic but wow, I was anything but. And certainly not a Christian either if you differentiate.

And then, later, I hated, despised, resented the Catholic church. I felt it had failed me. I'm over the anger now, but it took years. I was angry that I misunderstood religion as faith. I was frustrated that the people around me were content with religion instead of real belief. And most of all I resented that Jesus hated religion for the sake of religion as much as anyone and this false label was supposed to, in some feeble way, be sufficient.

Religion leaves you feeling dry, used up, exhausted, like you're pouring lemonade into a bottomless pitcher.

Faith fills. It's different completely. It's Pilgrim's Progress and the burden finally off your back.

I will pray for you. :grouphug:

Something to think about:

In Luke 13, Jesus is asked about why bad things happen. Is it because of someone's sin or what? And He answers that it's not. It just happens.

My view is that it's not that God does this stuff, as much as that He lets it happen. It happens because we live in a fallen world. So we can pray that He will pull something good out of it (and we know that He can and He will) and that we will see it and be able to appreciate it. We can pray that His word will go forth and bring joy and edification. And we can pray for each other. :grouphug:

I have been having this feeling of being scared of what would happen if I didn't do the "right" thing. I am scared of what God would do to me (or my kids) if I "sinned" in some way. I feel like I'm living my life based on fear. I don't know why I feel this way. God is supposed to be the all-loving-God. He would never hurt me based on my actions or behaviors, right? Well, I'm not so sure...
:grouphug:I had to stop attending religious gatherings and avoid a good deal of people because of the fear mongering. My God does not motivate with fear or shaming but a great deal of people claiming to be his do. It made me very, very depressed and I was better off avoiding the whole thing altogether.

:grouphug: Hugs to you Rainbow. Do a board search for Catholic or Eastern Orthodox if you have an interest. There have been so many threads lately about both.

Sadly so many Catholics during the 60's 70's, 80's, and even into the 90s, those years just after VII, were so poorly taught the Faith that they had nothing to hold them to the Church.

The Catholic church has a rich and vibrant history. But there is so much more than that.

I have more to say, but I'm so very tired. PM me if you have any questions about Catholicism. What I don't know I'll find out for you.

As my mother used to say (but not accept from us, heheheh) "Sometimes 'because' is the only answer you're going to get."

Once I was old enough that she didn't say it to me any more, I found it a comforting thought.

:grouphug: A faith crisis is right up there on the list of sucky things to endure. :grouphug:

Keep reading, thinking, talking to the right people, and thinking and your thoughts will find a way to direct you. You'll come to the right place eventually.

Rosie

The other thing that has been heavily on my mind is why do terrible things happen (for example, what recently happened in Japan) and why would a loving God allow these things to happen? I just cannot come up with a good enough answer.

I'm not sure what I want out of this post. I guess I just feel the need to share and to talk to someone about it.

I understand your questions all too well, and I don't think there are "good" answers to all of the suffering we either are asked to endure or are forced to watch others endure. I have covered the gamut from rage to emotional exhaustion, and I really began to question my faith. I still don't have the answers I so desperately want for my family, and it is not easy. Thanks to the wise words of ladies on this board, I am not giving up on God (though I am very skeptical about many who call themselves christians). This is about the only place where I have received wisdom without condemnation and condescension about how I feel. Please know that you are not alone. :grouphug:

I haven't talked to anyone IRL about it, but it's been on my mind for a long while.

I was born Catholic, my whole family is Catholic even though they aren't practicing Catholics. I did communion, but chose no to do confirmation.

At 15 I moved in with my dad. When I was about 17, I was "saved". Nothing really changed. I was the same teenager I always been. I've never really read the bible or thought much about God or Jesus at the time.

At about 23, I lived in Georgia and dh and I were attending a Southern Baptist church. I asked Jesus in my heart again. I then tried to do all the right things: I went to bible studies, tried my best to keep up with Bible reading, tried to do the "right" things to please God. But other than that nothing really changed.

The God I believe in and His son Jesus Christ, is a God of mercy. That's what I believe in. No repentant sinner is ever turned away. We are living in an age of great mercy. (for Catholic background, read up on St. Faustina and the Divine Mercy Devotion)

As to "why bad things happen," well, Japan is just the latest example, but bad things have been happening all along. I don't take the evils of this world to be "proof" that God doesn't exist. Or that God isn't all-loving, or all-merciful, or anything else.

I presume that whatever we suffer in this life pales in comparison to what awaits us in the afterlife. (I believe there is plenty of Biblical support for this view). Jesus Himself suffered.

I think if you seek God you will find Him, in whatever form. He will accept you on whatever level you you reach for Him. Doesn't have to be a particular denomination, although I like mine because I feel there are so many avenues to intimacy with the Lord.

Best to you!

Where is God when bad things happen: (10 min video)

On God, Tsunami and the Problem of Evil

Yes! "We can't have free will without allowing for the abuse of free will." Adam and Even chose free will for us and God is not a God to force his will on us. So we have to take the good with the bad.

Also, when the priest spoke at the end about the Chinese man and his horse, his son, things going bad, then good, then bad, then good, you totally see that in the Bible!!

Think on this. Joseph's brothers sold him into slavery. That's bad. How could God allow that to happen? Well, Joseph ended up holding a place of honor in the pharoah's court and when the famine came and Joseph's brothers showed up looking for food, Joseph could help them! The whole family ended up moving to Egypt and had food to eat. That's good. Then over the generations, the Israelite tribes grew and grew. So much so, that the pharoah became afraid of the number of Iraelites and made them slaves. That's bad. But then the Israelites were allowed to leave Egypt and eventually came to the land promised to them. That's good. But then the Israelites didn't kick out all the bad guys living there like God told them to and there ended up being idol worship and intermarrying among the Israelites and idol worshipers and a break down of the Israelite people. That's bad. And it goes on and on.

Queen Esther probably had no desire to marry the King. In the end however, it was her being queen that put her in a key position to save her people from Haman's evil plot against the Jews.

I don't like to see bad things happen to people, but I tell you what, when they do happen I often see good come from the bad. I think it brings us closer to reality, to humanity, to God. People become closer, more empathetic towards each other, more real, more focused on what's important in life. I think going through the hard times stregthens us and makes us better people-if we allow it.

JMO.

I grew up Catholic too. I had somehow learned to see God as a judgemental God who was far away from us observing everything we did. Then I went on a Catholic retreat in high school and learned that God is personal, our friend, he loves us, he's kind, loving, merciful. It's good to be aware of our sins and to try and strive to be better, but I don't think God would want you to live in fear. God did not give us the spirit of fear! Fear is of Satan. God is love. I imagine God would tell you that you don't have to be afraid; that he doesn't want you to be afraid. Enjoy his love and compassion! Relish in it! He loves you SOOOOOO much!

:grouphug::grouphug:

I was raised Southern Baptist and had many of the same feelings you are experiencing: mainly-fear over not doing the right thing. I did come to realize that I don't have to "do the right thing." God doesn't love me because I "do the right thing." He won't stop loving me if I "do the wrong thing." He loves me.period. And I did nothing to deserve it. And nothing I can do will cause His love for me to cease. But God's love for me does not mean nothing bad will ever happen to me like an earthquake or some other disaster. Job's life is a good example of that. There are other passages in the NT that explain that trials will come, that they have a purpose, and that ultimately they are for my good. I know it's easy to say when I wasn't affected by the earthquake. (I also know that when bad things happen to people they can get really offended if someone says "it's for a purpose" or "good will come of it." These are things I believe in my core and preach to myself during times of trial but I wouldn't flippantly say them to someone else in the moment of tragedy. And that's just a random thought I felt the need to say.)

Anyway, :grouphug: to you. I recommend taking these fears straight to God. Lay them at His feet. That's what I did several years back now. I cried many tears of confusion and frustration and eventually He did give me peace and rest. It was not immediate. But God did answer the distress and cry of my heart. I believe He will answer you too.

I grew up Catholic too. I had somehow learned to see God as a judgemental God who was far away from us observing everything we did. Then I went on a Catholic retreat in high school and learned that God is personal, our friend, he loves us, he's kind, loving, merciful.
I have much the same experience. The atmosphere in a certain congregation was one of judgment and fear, but that wasn't what was actually being taught at all. Like you, I didn't need to leave my faith and go elsewhere to get it sorted.

I would encourage you not to give up on the Catholic faith.

My dh and I were raised "born again" Protestant, we come from a long line of Protestants. I knew my Bible inside out, went to Sunday School, had/have a personal relationship with Jesus...but there were still so many unanswered questions. We are looking forward to being confirmed into the Catholic Church next month. :001_smile: We have found so much meaning, so much history, so much truth and wisdom in the Catholic Church that we were never able to find floundering about in some random other church. I truly believe the Catholic faith is a beautiful thing, and it makes me sad that so many "cradle Catholics" are so poorly educated. Satan attacks in all different ways, I guess. Keeping people blinded to the beauty and depth of their faith is one of those ways.

I know what it's like to have a faith crisis (((((((hugs))))))) I am now learning that this life IS a test. This life isn't supposed to be easy and peachy and wonderful, although thank God we have our share of that. I have experienced SO much pain and I know others experience far worse. But we are to be looking ahead, to our true home. I have been so inspired to read about the lives of the saints- wow, what determination and devotion they had. That inspires me.

God bless you, and may He lead you closer to Himself. :)

Suppose you sit down with a pen and try jotting down what you do believe. Things that are absolutely obviously true so you couldn't disbelieve them unless you were an existentialist or something.

I might write:

Seasons change

-Why?

Oh you know, earth spins on its axis and all that jazz.

-Why?

Uh, coz it does.

-Wasn't I taught that "because" isn't an answer?

Yeah, but would the answer make any difference? Aha, it wouldn't, so let's put this aside as a not very practical question.

-Ok, you've got me. We can worry about this if it stops.

But we'd be dead so it wouldn't matter.

-Ok, you got me again.

There is a something

-How do you know?

Well nothing happens if there isn't a something.

-Ok, what kind of something

Stuff like instinct and gravity.

-So why do they work that way?

If they stop, I think we'll be too busy panicking to ponder philosophy.

-We'd probably be too dead to panic as well.

Ok, you got me.

-So what are we supposed to do with this?

Uh, protect it, I guess, since we'd be up the creek if it stopped.

-What does "protect it" mean when you haven't even defined "it" particularly well?

What about contributing to causes like sustainability and education?

-Oh yeah, I rekon we could do something about that.

Voila! Not only have I swept questions that are too hard under the carpet so they can't bother me and justified having done so :D but I've also found a direction for my life.

Easy enough for me to say from where I'm sitting right now, but maybe the exercise would help. Sometimes when one part of your identity slips, it feels like everything else is going too. It would have to help if you put bits that aren't into words.

Rosie

:grouphug: I've thought and felt many of those things through the years. My one thought to you is this: God doesn't bring fear. The Bible tells us not to fear. I think fear comes from man or other things...but not God, not in the context you are describing it.:grouphug:

If you think that fr. Barron's video is awesome, read John Paul's II Apostolic Letter Salvifici Doloris ("On Christian Meaning of Human Suffering").

One of the reasons I left Protestantism was it's inadequacy to explain or measure up to suffering, and especially to it's redemptive value. Modern humanity (after 1500') suffers the same as people did from the very beginning, but they can't stand it, offer easy excuses or lame cope outs.

The Apostolic Letter starts with:

"In my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the Church" Col 1:24 - isn't that a slap in the face to quote St. Paul who says that we can "complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions"? Wow. And for what sake? The Church! Wow #2.

Edited by iwka

I would encourage you not to give up on the Catholic faith.

My dh and I were raised "born again" Protestant, we come from a long line of Protestants. I knew my Bible inside out, went to Sunday School, had/have a personal relationship with Jesus...but there were still so many unanswered questions. We are looking forward to being confirmed into the Catholic Church next month. :001_smile:

:party::party::party:

We have found so much meaning, so much history, so much truth and wisdom in the Catholic Church that we were never able to find floundering about in some random other church. I truly believe the Catholic faith is a beautiful thing, and it makes me sad that so many "cradle Catholics" are so poorly educated. Satan attacks in all different ways, I guess. Keeping people blinded to the beauty and depth of their faith is one of those ways.

But we are to be looking ahead, to our true home. I have been so inspired to read about the lives of the saints- wow, what determination and devotion they had. That inspires me.

God bless you, and may He lead you closer to Himself. :)

I'm not a religious person, but I do have some feelings about why bad things happen. I feel that we learn more through struggles in our life than we do from easy times. I have learned to appreciate money more from going through times when we have had very little. You value love more after being heartbroken. You value life more when you see life lost. Whether that is God or not is up to the individual. I think that if there is a God, the reason we go through difficult times is to show us the importance of every moment we have here on earth. Could you imagine if life was all rainbows and butterflies---no one would appreciate those beautiful moments because everything would already be perfect and easy. Just my opinion for what it's worth!

If you think that fr. Barron's video is awesome, read John Paul's II Apostolic Letter Salvifici Doloris ("On Christian Meaning of Human Suffering").

One of the reasons I left Protestantism was it's inadequacy to explain or measure up to suffering, and especially to it's redemptive value. Modern humanity (after 1500') suffers the same as people did from the very beginning, but they can't stand it, offer easy excuses or lame cope outs.

The Apostolic Letter starts with:

"In my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the Church" Col 1:24 - isn't that a slap in the face to quote St. Paul who says that we can "complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions"? Wow. And for what sake? The Church! Wow #2.

I'll go back to it when my brain can focus, have a headache at the moment.

I did download Fr. Barron's lectures for my MP3 player, so when I go walking I'll listen. It's about the only quiet time I get. Plus a good lecture, makes me want to walk the whole time :)