Menu

Do you want to host a house-conference--or organize a meeting at a local venue?

If you want to see the background for this request, go to this post and the ones that follow: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2572100&postcount=96

If you're interested for 2012, email my assistant, Patricia Worth (pattie AT welltrainedmind.com) with the following info....

Your location

Whether you'd be willing to host at a home or organize a meeting at a local venue

Approximate space that your home/venue would accomodate

And anything else you think would be helpful--local classical schools, home school groups we could contact, anything in your area that would help us get the word out.

SWB

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to see the background for this request, go to this post and the ones that follow: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2572100&postcount=96

If you're interested for 2012, email my assistant, Patricia Worth (pattie AT welltrainedmind.com) with the following info....

Your location

Whether you'd be willing to host at a home or organize a meeting at a local venue

Approximate space that your home/venue would accomodate

And anything else you think would be helpful--local classical schools, home school groups we could contact, anything in your area that would help us get the word out.

SWB

YES!!!!

I know you mentioned going to a two-state region, but would you consider coming to the Maritimes region of Canada? At least three provinces here, and maybe people in Northern New England....Halifax International airport is nearby....

Please, please let me know if this is in your realm of consideration, and I'll e-mail your assistant!

Well, I am in the SE corner of Nebraska. I can be in either IA or MO in 20 minutes. So, if you came to my house (which is a huge old farmhouse) we could call is a tri-state conference. Actually, KS is only about an hour south, so it could even be a quad-state conference. I'm just saying.

I'd love to do something. I'm just trying to brainstorm. We live in a large, but old, farmhouse on almost 3 acres - so there seems to be space. There are also a couple of venues nearby that could work. I'm nearby to Mrs. Mungo...mayhaps we could brainstorm something...

Wait, is this something that someone like me could do? I live in rural Northern CA and only have a few friends who do anything like WTM. Most of my homeschooling buddies are hippies. I think I could get the word out and gather a house-ful or maybe even a little more.

I suppose you could combine it with Portland OR, or go south to central CA?

I'd love to do something. I'm just trying to brainstorm. We live in a large, but old, farmhouse on almost 3 acres - so there seems to be space. There are also a couple of venues nearby that could work. I'm nearby to Mrs. Mungo...mayhaps we could brainstorm something...

Well, if you and she are both in NC, I'd be willing to help. (are we talking FT Bragg?)

I'd love to say Raleigh area in NC. But when stuff about this kerfluffle came across my local homeschooling yahoo group, someone posted "why would anyone go to a conference where Doug Philips and SWB are listed as primary speakers?" Now I do see why Philips is controversial but why Susan? And why lump them together? Please do NOT answer here! I don't want to start another debate.

So b/c of that I don't know how feelings in this area run about Susan. But if we can get her to come to NC, I'd be willing to help however I can! Even if it is long distance, coming early, picking up Susan from the airport so she doesn't have to rent a car. (Of course if she wants one anyway, I understand.) I live 10-15 minutes from RDU airport.

I emailed my info! Now I need posters in the outer surrounding areas to do the same so I can get picked!!! :D

We're at McGuire Air Force Base which I don't think is too terribly far from you (Jersey just isn't THAT big...lol!) so I'll vote for you!

YES!!!!

I know you mentioned going to a two-state region, but would you consider coming to the Maritimes region of Canada? At least three provinces here, and maybe people in Northern New England....Halifax International airport is nearby....

Please, please let me know if this is in your realm of consideration, and I'll e-mail your assistant!

Oh, this would be so awesome!! If it happens, and ends up near me (I'm in HRM), then I would be happy to offer up my home for anyone that needs a place to stay. I would also be able to help out in any other way I can. :goodvibes:

Well, if you and she are both in NC, I'd be willing to help. (are we talking FT Bragg?)

I'd love to say Raleigh area in NC. But when stuff about this kerfluffle came across my local homeschooling yahoo group, someone posted "why would anyone go to a conference where Doug Philips and SWB are listed as primary speakers?" Now I do see why Philips is controversial but why Susan? And why lump them together? Please do NOT answer here! I don't want to start another debate.

So b/c of that I don't know how feelings in this area run about Susan. But if we can get her to come to NC, I'd be willing to help however I can! Even if it is long distance, coming early, picking up Susan from the airport so she doesn't have to rent a car. (Of course if she wants one anyway, I understand.) I live 10-15 minutes from RDU airport.

I'm at Ft. Bragg, but if we wanted to do something in the Raleigh area, I could still help. I just moved back to Bragg, but I still know several people who would participate and/or help. :) eta: AuntPol, you too!

Yes, I'm right outside of Fayetteville. I believe I belong to that same yahoo group (spiceline, or something like that). It goes to an email that I check infrequently, but another friend (also a board member/WTM follower)made me aware of the posts. I just believe that people with similar mindsets to ours are not the most vocal ones on the local boards/groups. But, I'm sure there are members that feel the way we do. In fact, I believe the moderator of that group strongly censors what actually gets posted. The same friend that attempted to post, about something entirely different, was told it wasn't appropriate. She could never figure out why.

I know there was someone from the boards that meets with a local WTM group in the general area. I was going to drive up for a meeting, but just never got around to doing it. I believe I have her saved in my messages. So, there are some like-minded people around. I've even run across a board member in our local co-op.

There are several of us (WTM followers) in the general area. Not to mention, I'm sure there are many others open to hearing about educational methods, etc. We just have to get the word out.

Sorry I've rambled. But, yes, I am willing to work with anyone in the NC area in order to bring SWB here.

I'm at Ft. Bragg, but if we wanted to do something in the Raleigh area, I could still help. I just moved back to Bragg, but I still know several people who would participate and/or help. :) eta: AuntPol, you too!

I'm in Wilmington and would happily drive to Raleigh area and spread the word around here.

I couldn't decide which thread to add this too, so I randomly picked this one!

Our development has a TON of vacation rental homes. If any travelers wanted to get together and share rentals or turn it into a family trip, we could keep the discussions going! Depending on the dates, our pools and lakes may even be open.

Yes, I'm right outside of Fayetteville. I believe I belong to that same yahoo group (spiceline, or something like that). It goes to an email that I check infrequently, but another friend (also a board member/WTM follower)made me aware of the posts. I just believe that people with similar mindsets to ours are not the most vocal ones on the local boards/groups. But, I'm sure there are members that feel the way we do. In fact, I believe the moderator of that group strongly censors what actually gets posted. The same friend that attempted to post, about something entirely different, was told it wasn't appropriate. She could never figure out why.

Yep, spiceline. I usually appreciate the moderating Sharon does. You're right, though, I'm not a vocal person. The only times I've posted on spiceline, it was a reply to someone personally. Sharon catches those and sends them back to me. I've figured out the reply to sender only button. :)

I will ask my co-owners if we can use our office for a conference. Our office is bigger than our house. It's in Raleigh, NC.

**Off topic but I would love to meet up with the other Raleigh WTMers.

Count me in! I'm in the Dunn area, so not very far at all! We have quite a few members in the general area (Raleigh,Fayetteville,Wilmington). We should be able to pull together and figure something out. Let's organize!

It looked like in the other thread that there is a lot of interest in the PNW. My house is teensy, and between homeschooling the kiddos and court reporting school for me my plate is overflowing. So, I wouldn't be able to commit to organizing anything. However, I would be willing to assist someone who volunteered to organize something in the Portland/Seattle area. I could help make phone calls or something like that. I just don't want to commit to organizing the whole thing because I know I wouldn't have time for that. But, I'd be willing to help. :001_smile:

I'ce sent this e-mail to Patti, but I thought I'd post here. I wanted to add that even if we went the hotel conference room route, I'd hope to have some great meals and late-night coffee and wine here at out house.

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}Dear Patti,

I would be thrilled to host a New England conference. I am in the south eastern corner of Rhode Island, 25 minutes away from Greene International Airport, 10 minutes from the Kingston Junction train station and from the University of Rhode Island. We're also 35 minutes south of Brown University, RISD and Providence College. 20 minutes over a bridge is Newport. Block Island is a ferry ride away.

Our current house could accommodate a small group, say 12-14 adults and a few babies, but not a large group of children. We are working on buying a new house, one that could accommodate 20 or more adults. That house has a great outdoor space, and a basement playroom so we could be more generous about children.

Alternately, there is a Holiday Inn and a few other similar hotels that have conference rooms, etc. I' be happy to look into those. I am active with our libraries, and could easily arrange access to some space there. There is also the university, which has lots of space. I do think the hotel conference rooms would be the best bet if we go the non-house route since people will be staying at the hotels.

Public transport isn't great here, so that is another consideration.

Finally, I am planning to attend the North East Conference, and a group of us from the board would like to invite Susan to something--a night out, a coffee clache, light-night drinks, or a somewhat more intimate but directed talk/conversation. My guess is she'd just like a break so we can all spend time, but we are open to anything.

I just volunteered for New Orleans - - so even if you live far away, you can come and make a vacation of it! An educational vacation, you can visit a huge wetlands preserve (gators!) or Chalmette Battlefield (in 1814 we took a little trip). And the French Quarter, also very educational.

My home could also only hold about 12 - 14 adults and a few babies...We live in central NJ, about 2 miles from the train station, 40 min drive from Philadelphia, and about a 90 min drive from NYC...

I would be willing to host...Do I live close enough for people here to come?...I am also going to the NorthEast Conference in June...

ETA: If my home is too small, I would be willing to look into a bigger venue...

Edited by TheAutumnOak
Something to add

Count me in! I'm in the Dunn area, so not very far at all! We have quite a few members in the general area (Raleigh,Fayetteville,Wilmington). We should be able to pull together and figure something out. Let's organize!

Maybe we could meet up sometime in the next couple of weekends and try to figure things out?

Anyone in the Southern CA area willing to work with me to plan something? I'm not sure I'm in the best area--N of LA in small town, but I'd be willing to help someone in LA or closer to LA.

I'm in Northern San Diego county. We have some fairly large homeschool groups in the area. We could pull people from L.A., Orange County, San Diego and even Arizona and Nevada to come.

Plus, I'm really close to the beach so SWB could dip her toes into the Pacific while she's here. My husband will even offer free stand-up paddleboard lessons. :D

I will ask my co-owners if we can use our office for a conference. Our office is bigger than our house. It's in Raleigh, NC.

**Off topic but I would love to meet up with the other Raleigh WTMers.

Count me in. I am in the Coats/Buies Creek/Lillington area, so not very far at all.

My husband is stationed at Ft Bragg as well, and we live right in between Raleigh and Fayetteville so would be willing to help set something up in either direction.

We are neighbors. I live about one town over.

Maybe we could meet up sometime in the next couple of weekends and try to figure things out?

HEY !!!!! DOn't forget about Charlotte! Then the SC groups could attend in Charlotte

And I could see about pulling one together for SC but having one big one in SC/NC would bring in vendors.

OK, NH and New England should also be on the map although I don't have a house big enough (nor is it big enough for my kids, but that's another story). Perhaps NH/ME so we could accomodate people from Montreal as well.... Or VT?? Brattleboro, I love that place, barring no nudists (reference to other thread).

OK, I am feeling silly. Too much caffeine in that yummy hot chocolate. Someone please make me quiet.....:D

My husband is stationed at Ft Bragg as well, and we live right in between Raleigh and Fayetteville so would be willing to help set something up in either direction.

You're not that far from me! I have a good friend in Coats. I'm in Dunn (technically), although it's more like Godwin/Falcon. I'm from Fayetteville, which is where most of our family is. I'm still in Fayetteville for sports/dance/church/etc. about 4 days per week, and in the Raleigh/Durham area about one day per week.

We are neighbors. I live about one town over.

I saw this after I posted! Yes, I'm getting so excited about this! Also, the nerd that I am, it would be so nice to have a group that met, maybe once a month, just to talk and encourage one another. I didn't realize there were so many of you nearby!

I'm in Northern San Diego county. We have some fairly large homeschool groups in the area. We could pull people from L.A., Orange County, San Diego and even Arizona and Nevada to come.

If this was the closest one, I would definitely drive from Arizona to go to this.:001_smile: And I know plenty of people in the LA area who would want to come too!

I saw this after I posted! Yes, I'm getting so excited about this! Also, the nerd that I am, it would be so nice to have a group that met, maybe once a month, just to talk and encourage one another. I didn't realize there were so many of you nearby!

Yes, it would be. I was born and raised here, but we just recently moved back. I have not been part of a group since before we moved away, so it has been a long time.

Hey!!! I'm in Salem, OR and we would LOVE to do this!! :) We can find the space, but a house would be too small :) I LOVE to organize and plan :) It's TOTALLY doable and something I'd like to do ;)

I'm a half hour south of Carrie. I'd love to participate/attend/help plan or even organize a second gathering here. I agree that a house is going to be too small for the number of people who would be interested. I'd be glad to organize another meeting space in Albany, though.

I'm interested and will explore possible venues and get back to you.

Speaker cost is an issue and finding a way to insure participation also concerns me. I'd hate to invite speakers, line a place up, then not have a decent number of participants.

Also, it's hard to find a time that works well for lots of vendors and speakers to come together in one place. If there are larger conferences that end up being offered at the same time, or at overlapping times, then we might not be able to get some desirable people in.... Of course, if we're looking to more secularly focused people, then perhaps they would not be in as much demand (at least at first) and so perhaps it would easier to draw them together....

Who would we want to draw together at one time and place? Are we talking about just Peace Hill Press doing a conference on their own, or bringing together a variety of people?