Menu

Do you want to host a house-conference--or organize a meeting at a local venue?

So far, I have counted nine of us in NC.

I have access to our neighborhood clubhouse. The number of people that it can hold varies on how it is set up. It's very homey, though. It has a kitchen, lg. "living room" and a lg. conference room (I think the table seats 12). The doors that block of the conference room MAY retract to form one large area. I'll check on that.

When does everyone want to get together?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you and she are both in NC, I'd be willing to help. (are we talking FT Bragg?)

I'd love to say Raleigh area in NC. But when stuff about this kerfluffle came across my local homeschooling yahoo group, someone posted "why would anyone go to a conference where Doug Philips and SWB are listed as primary speakers?"

I'm in the greater Raleigh area and that Spiceline poster does not speak for me. I would welcome an opportunity to hear SWB speak. I've no idea who Doug Philips is though.

I very rarely post to Spiceline though.

I'm in the greater Raleigh area and that Spiceline poster does not speak for me. I would welcome an opportunity to hear SWB speak. I've no idea who Doug Philips is though.

I very rarely post to Spiceline though.

Could you send me your info? I made a thread on the general board...although I titled it with NC WTM House Convention, instead of conference...and now I can't edit. If it goes unnoticed due to that, I'll start a new thread. Also, when people view it, just click in with a smilie or something so it stays near the top, so we can hopefully reach a few more in our area. Anyway, I listed my email on that thread.

No one near NJ?

I'm in Jersey (near Trenton). I didn't send in my info because we're PCSing (moving) sometime in 2012 but not sure when. If someone starts a Jersey get together I'd be happy to help with planning and whatnot and definitely want to go if we're still here. So, in other words, I'm interested in Jersey but strongly prefer scheduling it early in the year if possible. Just my 5 cents worth. :D

A couple of years ago Needleroozer and I hosted a WTM get together at Coulon Park in Renton, WA. I'd be willing to do that again this summer. We had a nice time.

I could possibly make it to Renton if it were on a weekend. :)

I'm in Jersey (near Trenton). I didn't send in my info because we're PCSing (moving) sometime in 2012 but not sure when. If someone starts a Jersey get together I'd be happy to help with planning and whatnot and definitely want to go if we're still here. So, in other words, I'm interested in Jersey but strongly prefer scheduling it early in the year if possible. Just my 5 cents worth. :D

I am probably about 15 mins away from you...Is the base off 295?...Early in the year is fine with me...I don't care when in the year!

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The bigger it gets, the more initial financial investment/difficulty with scheduling/complication arises. I think a lot of people who could very competently put together a small event get shut out of convention planning because we've ended up with bigger and bigger and bigger events...I'd like to see it move back towards more of a grassroots level.

Having said, that, if someone WANTS to organize a bigger event, I'm up for that too. But a home with twenty or so interested people who also all bring their curricula and explain what's worked and hasn't worked for them works wonderfully for me.

SWB

This would be a dream come true. I'm in central Ohio, so we could pull from a large geographic area from Cincinnati to Cleveland to Indianapolis, but I'm pretty sure I could fill it w/just folks from central Ohio.

Laura

I was thinking of something sort of in between, as when you and your mother came to speak in Louisville at that big church years ago. Then if we could also bring in another person or two to speak, and attendees could bring in their curriculum to show/share/ maybe even sell, I'd hope to get 50-100 folks there.....

I am probably about 15 mins away from you...Is the base off 295?...Early in the year is fine with me...I don't care when in the year!

Yep! It's off in the boonies down 206. Maybe 20 minutes or so from Hamilton. I found the HS group on base but am looking for classical people too. Do you know of any classical groups??

This would be a dream come true. I'm in central Ohio, so we could pull from a large geographic area from Cincinnati to Cleveland to Indianapolis, but I'm pretty sure I could fill it w/just folks from central Ohio.

Laura

I can do Columbus too. My family lives in Knox County and my best friend lives in Cincy. How many of these can we go to exactly?? :tongue_smilie:

Originally Posted by missmoe viewpost.gif

Anyone in the Southern CA area willing to work with me to plan something? I'm not sure I'm in the best area--N of LA in small town, but I'd be willing to help someone in LA or closer to LA.

I'm in Northern San Diego county. We have some fairly large homeschool groups in the area. We could pull people from L.A., Orange County, San Diego and even Arizona and Nevada to come.

Plus, I'm really close to the beach so SWB could dip her toes into the Pacific while she's here. My husband will even offer free stand-up paddleboard lessons. :D

I'm in San Diego, too....very interested in getting SWB out here and willing to help. :-)

I was wondering this as well as Fairfax County is only 2 1/2 hours from SWB. However, we can serve MD, D.C. and VA (more, if people are willing to travel 4-5 hours) with a conference in my area.

I'd attend if it were in the Northern VA area! or even a few hours away:) I have a house big enough to hold 25-30 of us between the dining room, living room, kitchen, and family room!

Susan - ever considered a trip to England?! We're culturally diverse, historically rich, and especially up north, very friendly :D

Okay - pies in the sky aside - if I (and any other Brits who are interested) could manage the airfare, would you mind some of us joining you somewhere?

Susan - ever considered a trip to England?! We're culturally diverse, historically rich, and especially up north, very friendly :D

Okay - pies in the sky aside - if I (and any other Brits who are interested) could manage the airfare, would you mind some of us joining you somewhere?

On your way to England, you could stop over in Australia :D. It is only a little detour.

if I (and any other Brits who are interested) could manage the airfare, would you mind some of us joining you somewhere?

If you mean you would travel to a conf. she was doing, and if she ends up coming here, I'd welcome you in the Halifax area! There are probably lots of direct (and inexpensive?) flights to Halifax from England....

Oh, Arizona (Phx valley) needs one!! Our yearly convention has almost NO classes of substance in regards to actual teaching methods. I barely mentioned this idea and had tons of people that want to do this.

:iagree: Arizona! I would definitely be willing to help if SWB came to Phoenix. I am not going to our conference because there was not even one class that I wanted to go to. Sad:glare: And I don't want to pay $60 to go to the vendor hall, even thought I really WANT to go to the vendor hall.

If you mean you would travel to a conf. she was doing, and if she ends up coming here, I'd welcome you in the Halifax area! There are probably lots of direct (and inexpensive?) flights to Halifax from England....

Ooooh yes... thank you! Halifax, NS is a good option - direct flights from LHR with Air Canada, or from LGW with Transat... we know this because we have relatives in NL ;)

I also have connections in Chicago, Maryland, Texas, and Tennessee. :)

How about Atlanta? I'm north of ATL by about 30 miles (Alpharetta), and I could accommodate about 30 folks in my house (plus a full finished basement for kids).

I'll send an email.

I've emailed for Cobb/Marietta, and I know there's been an email from in town as well. Atlanta could probably support three or four gatherings!

Oh, Arizona (Phx valley) needs one!! Our yearly convention has almost NO classes of substance in regards to actual teaching methods. I barely mentioned this idea and had tons of people that want to do this.

:iagree: Arizona! I would definitely be willing to help if SWB came to Phoenix. I am not going to our conference because there was not even one class that I wanted to go to. Sad:glare: And I don't want to pay $60 to go to the vendor hall, even thought I really WANT to go to the vendor hall.

I'm moving to this area next month, and would totally be willing to help.:001_smile:

(Regarding the AFHE conference: The homeschool science lab talk looked interesting to me, but that was it. I'll have bought all our curricula by then, too. :tongue_smilie: )

I'd attend if it were in the Northern VA area! or even a few hours away:) I have a house big enough to hold 25-30 of us between the dining room, living room, kitchen, and family room!

Great! I'd host, but my townhome may induce claustrophobia with 25-30 adults in it! Would you be willing to e-mail on the NoVA area's behalf? Let me know, otherwise I suppose I can figure something out (such as a venue).

I don't think Susan is talking about a full-blown conference. I understood it that she would be the only speaker and those attending would bring their own curriculum to items that everyone could look through. If the idea is to have it in people's homes, it can't get too big even for those with large homes. I am picturing more of an intimate, friendly gathering to hear from Susan and share our curriculum choices and ideas with others.

I thought so as well, but there are costs associated with SWB's transportation, lodging, and time, that would require more people to keep it from being cost prohibitive. I am curious to see what SWB's ideas are for these meetings.

Ok, NC ladies, I'm in the Charlotte area, and I would definitely drive to Raleigh or another area! I know others on this board (and not) who would also go somewhere in NC to hear SWB. I personally know two moderators of local hs e-loops and groups who could help me get the word around.

ps - I didn't read all the threads to see if people from my area was discussed already. I just want to enter my plea for moms in NC! :001_smile:

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff.

But a home with twenty or so interested people who also all bring their curricula and explain what's worked and hasn't worked for them works wonderfully for me.

I just want to mention something to those who have indicated that they think their homes would be too small or not suitable for something like this. A few weeks ago, Susan mentioned "house conferences" on another thread, and compared them to "house concerts." I think she also linked a book about house concerts. I don't know if house concerts are a trend in the States, but they are here in Canada. I went to one a few weeks ago, for a local musican who also travels all over the world.

It was in a much smaller home than I was expecting (I had never been to a house concert before), and the host was in the middle of "updating" the decor. But neither of those things mattered, because we were there to listen to this great musician. Heck, I didn't even know what the musician looked like, so I didn't know when he'd arrived at the house. I stepped out of the bathroom close to the concert start time, and I almost tripped over this guy who was bending down to take off his boots at the door. He looked up at me and smiled and said, "Hi!", and then I noticed his guitar case that he was trying not to fall on while taking off his boots. Others were trying not to trip on him, as they came out of the tiny room where we laid our coats. This was the man who stepped up to the microphone when the host introduced the musician.

Anyway, the concert was in a room that was a combined LR/DR - all one straight room with a fireplace at one end. I'm telling ya, it was small compared to the McMansions I see around here - I wish I could guesstimate the sq. footage - the house was probably built in the 1960s. The host had set up two couches, one behind the other (like benches), and then had folding chairs set up in rows. There was just room enough for the musician to have his mike stand, guitar stands, and some speaker equipment. My family and I were sitting about two feet from where he stood. :D So was everyone else who sat in the first row surrounding that area in an L-shape. And you know what? It was a lot of fun. Once everyone arrived through the door, threw their coats in that little side room, had grabbed some yummy snacks, and settled into their chairs, the room came alive. Complete strangers started talking in friendly ways, and complete strangers laughed and cried and cheered their way through this great and personal concert. It just *worked,* despite the seemingly small space. Everyone fit, and no one felt like sardines, because of what we were there for. I'm guessing there were 30-40 people there. We left that concert thinking, "Gee, *we* could host a house concert, too, even though we don't live in a McMansion!"

(The musician was Nova Scotia's Dave Gunning, if anyone wants to look him up)

Anyway, not that Susan is looking for the smallest place to cram into, but look at what she is hoping to do, and consider that maybe your home *will* work? I would imagine that some table space to spread out books to look at would be needed, but I think her idea is workable in not-so-big spaces.

I've emailed for Cobb/Marietta, and I know there's been an email from in town as well. Atlanta could probably support three or four gatherings!

Patchfire and Hollybee:

I'm in SE South Carolina, only a 4 hour drive, would love to come. I think there are others in Savannah, GA, not a bad drive either.

Ok, NC ladies, I'm in the Charlotte area, and I would definitely drive to Raleigh or another area! I know others on this board (and not) who would also go somewhere in NC to hear SWB. I personally know two moderators of local hs e-loops and groups who could help me get the word around.

ps - I didn't read all the threads to see if people from my area was discussed already. I just want to enter my plea for moms in NC! :001_smile:

Charlotte is about the same distance for me as Atlanta.

Colleen - I would go to Halifax. That seems easier to me than any of the other places outside of New England. My bil is there so I would have someplace to stay, and you are right - I could fly. It just has not to be in the summer. Or maybe somebody in New England will organize something? I might even think about it. How scary can it be? Surely not as intimidating as a bunch of Japanese monks? Ok - pretty scary. Sigh. I would be willing to think about it, though, if it were something very simple.

-Nan

Originally Posted by missmoe viewpost.gif

Anyone in the Southern CA area willing to work with me to plan something? I'm not sure I'm in the best area--N of LA in small town, but I'd be willing to help someone in LA or closer to LA.

I'm in San Diego, too....very interested in getting SWB out here and willing to help. :-)

I'm willing to help. I think we should plan it mid-winter; who wouldn't leave Virginia for Southern California in February?