Menu

Do you want to host a house-conference--or organize a meeting at a local venue?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested and will explore possible venues and get back to you.

Speaker cost is an issue and finding a way to insure participation also concerns me. I'd hate to invite speakers, line a place up, then not have a decent number of participants.

Also, it's hard to find a time that works well for lots of vendors and speakers to come together in one place. If there are larger conferences that end up being offered at the same time, or at overlapping times, then we might not be able to get some desirable people in.... Of course, if we're looking to more secularly focused people, then perhaps they would not be in as much demand (at least at first) and so perhaps it would easier to draw them together....

Who would we want to draw together at one time and place? Are we talking about just Peace Hill Press doing a conference on their own, or bringing together a variety of people?

This makes me think I need to clarify exactly what type of event we are talking about before I offer my help.

I was thinking that this was going to be more of a get together of homeschooling parents sharing their own curriculum, ideas and methods; more of a workshop atmosphere. We would hopefully keep the discussions based on education. The icing on the cake would be that SWB would be in attendance to share her expertise as an educator.

What McConnelboys is talking about sounds more like another convention, with other speakers, vendors, deciding what types of homeschoolers to target... I'm confused.:confused:

Ok, I keep looking for people from Salem, OR :) or Portland!! Can't we do this here?? But, i guess I want bigger than just around the living room. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to come... So..... here?? :) Please??

I'm in The 'Couve. I can commit to going anywhere in Oregon or Washington. Once we start talking California it starts getting iffy for me.

I'm hoping to move, but maybe we can plan that around the best home convention you all cook up. ;)

Hopefully it will be soon enough that I can help somebody. Although...I'll probably only move if SWB finally comes to DFW. :glare::lol:

Psst....I sent her my information. Follow the plan to near your mom :D.

I'm in The 'Couve. I can commit to going anywhere in Oregon or Washington. Once we start talking California it starts getting iffy for me.

YES!!! We can plan it together??? Or you would at least just come?? I would LOVE to do this... I would love to just be with her with just a small group... but that feels so selfish!!! (Is small better than large??) And what kind of $$$ do I need to drum up??? I can do it!!! I'm a good fundraiser :)

YES!!! We can plan it together??? Or you would at least just come?? I would LOVE to do this... I would love to just be with her with just a small group... but that feels so selfish!!! (Is small better than large??) And what kind of $$$ do I need to drum up??? I can do it!!! I'm a good fundraiser :)

I would be happy to help! My schedule is pretty tight, so I couldn't really be the main organizer, but I could help with phone calls or something like that. :001_smile:

Well, if you and she are both in NC, I'd be willing to help. (are we talking FT Bragg?)

I'd love to say Raleigh area in NC. But when stuff about this kerfluffle came across my local homeschooling yahoo group, someone posted "why would anyone go to a conference where Doug Philips and SWB are listed as primary speakers?" Now I do see why Philips is controversial but why Susan? And why lump them together? Please do NOT answer here! I don't want to start another debate.

So b/c of that I don't know how feelings in this area run about Susan. But if we can get her to come to NC, I'd be willing to help however I can! Even if it is long distance, coming early, picking up Susan from the airport so she doesn't have to rent a car. (Of course if she wants one anyway, I understand.) I live 10-15 minutes from RDU airport.

I'm in NC and I'd attend and help organize. And in spite of the fact that a certain homeschool loop in this area will only publish one side of the controversy, there are many homeschoolers in the Raleigh area use the WTM. There is even a discussion group that meets in Cary monthly.

YES!!!!

I know you mentioned going to a two-state region, but would you consider coming to the Maritimes region of Canada? At least three provinces here, and maybe people in Northern New England....Halifax International airport is nearby....

Please, please let me know if this is in your realm of consideration, and I'll e-mail your assistant!

You are so close to me!

Edited by Parrothead

I'm interested and will explore possible venues and get back to you.

Speaker cost is an issue and finding a way to insure participation also concerns me. I'd hate to invite speakers, line a place up, then not have a decent number of participants.

Also, it's hard to find a time that works well for lots of vendors and speakers to come together in one place. If there are larger conferences that end up being offered at the same time, or at overlapping times, then we might not be able to get some desirable people in.... Of course, if we're looking to more secularly focused people, then perhaps they would not be in as much demand (at least at first) and so perhaps it would easier to draw them together....

Who would we want to draw together at one time and place? Are we talking about just Peace Hill Press doing a conference on their own, or bringing together a variety of people?

I don't think Susan is talking about a full-blown conference. I understood it that she would be the only speaker and those attending would bring their own curriculum to items that everyone could look through. If the idea is to have it in people's homes, it can't get too big even for those with large homes. I am picturing more of an intimate, friendly gathering to hear from Susan and share our curriculum choices and ideas with others.

I'd love to do something. I'm just trying to brainstorm. We live in a large, but old, farmhouse on almost 3 acres - so there seems to be space. There are also a couple of venues nearby that could work. I'm nearby to Mrs. Mungo...mayhaps we could brainstorm something...

I'm in Asheville, but would gladly drive to Raleigh for this. I would be glad to spread the word here in Western NC.

I don't think Susan is talking about a full-blown conference. I understood it that she would be the only speaker and those attending would bring their own curriculum to items that everyone could look through. If the idea is to have it in people's homes, it can't get too big even for those with large homes. I am picturing more of an intimate, friendly gathering to hear from Susan and share our curriculum choices and ideas with others.

Yes, this. Could someone please clarify for sure before I submit my offer to help.:001_smile:

Ok, I keep looking for people from Salem, OR :) or Portland!! Can't we do this here?? But, i guess I want bigger than just around the living room. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to come... So..... here?? :) Please??

I sent her my info, Carrie. We could probably fill venues in Portland, Salem, AND Albany :001_smile: but I'm willing to help out wherever.

I have an idea about getting other vendors. Some companies will send you samples and let you write orders for them. After all, we just want to SEE the books!! Then it would fit in someone's home! And people coming can bring their books for people to look at as well.

I'm in Asheville, but would gladly drive to Raleigh for this. I would be glad to spread the word here in Western NC.

Can't host, but would willingly drive to Asheville or Raleigh. Our group could potentially do something in Charlotte, but it would likely be a larger scale than the house conference (ie additional speakers, etc), and definitely educationally-focused. There are a number of us who are heartily tired of having only a choice between conferences that are either unschooling-centric (or exclusive, sometimes) or an evangelical Protestant pep rally and worship service.

Yes, this. Could someone please clarify for sure before I submit my offer to help.:001_smile:

Yes, are we talking 30 people, 100 people? If we are all well behaved, and can get a larger venue, would more be acceptable?

Give us a idea about this because Pugetopolis wants in on this!!

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The bigger it gets, the more initial financial investment/difficulty with scheduling/complication arises. I think a lot of people who could very competently put together a small event get shut out of convention planning because we've ended up with bigger and bigger and bigger events...I'd like to see it move back towards more of a grassroots level.

Having said, that, if someone WANTS to organize a bigger event, I'm up for that too. But a home with twenty or so interested people who also all bring their curricula and explain what's worked and hasn't worked for them works wonderfully for me.

SWB

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The bigger it gets, the more initial financial investment/difficulty with scheduling/complication arises. I think a lot of people who could very competently put together a small event get shut out of convention planning because we've ended up with bigger and bigger and bigger events...I'd like to see it move back towards more of a grassroots level.

Having said, that, if someone WANTS to organize a bigger event, I'm up for that too. But a home with twenty or so interested people who also all bring their curricula and explain what's worked and hasn't worked for them works wonderfully for me.

SWB

I could do that here at my home then...It would be very cozy though :001_smile:...So all those close to New Jersey...

I sent my contact info to AmyDavis and she can pass it on to the others. It may be easiest to start a social group. Should we try to form one for NC specific or should we have one big one for everyone with separate threads for each group as they form? I have some ideas but I am an idea person more than a coordinator. My executive function skills are weak when it comes to delagating and communicating.

I am writing up a request to use our office so that DH can put in on the agenda to be discussed at the meeting tonight. Despite what is on the current local yahoo group (which is heavily censored), I think there is interest enough in this region that I don't even know if our office could hold everyone. We may have to do a double feature.

SWB

It may end of having to be a progressive dinner party in this town!!

I'm in Northern San Diego county. We have some fairly large homeschool groups in the area. We could pull people from L.A., Orange County, San Diego and even Arizona and Nevada to come.

Plus, I'm really close to the beach so SWB could dip her toes into the Pacific while she's here. My husband will even offer free stand-up paddleboard lessons. :D

Sounds Great! I'm N of L.A. but I could come to anything in Southern/Central CA. I would love to meet other WTMers from SoCA.

Oh, this would be so awesome!! If it happens, and ends up near me (I'm in HRM), then I would be happy to offer up my home for anyone that needs a place to stay. I would also be able to help out in any other way I can. :goodvibes:

Cross your fingers - I just sent an e-mail! :D And whoohooo for another boardie in Nova Scotia!!!!!!!! (go check your pm's)

I'm in Wilmington and would happily drive to Raleigh area and spread the word around here.

I'll be :bigear: about this possibility - my sis lives in Wilmington and is cautiously entertaining the idea of homeschooling her adopted-baby-to-be someday....I'd love to tell her where she can go for some great support and ideas!

Would you be willing to come to Canada?

I'm in Nova Scotia and just sent an e-mail....cross your fingers! :D

OK, NH and New England should also be on the map although I don't have a house big enough (nor is it big enough for my kids, but that's another story). Perhaps NH/ME so we could accomodate people from Montreal as well.... Or VT??

Would you come to Eastern Canada?

Oh, Colleen, I would love to come to a conference in your area - and make it a vacation while we're at it, so can we do it at a nice time of year, LOL?

FUN! Then you can explore Cape Breton again! Or go to PEI!

You are so close to me!

I know, I was thinking of you. Would you come here?

SWB

Gee, this sounds a whole lot easier than I was imagining! This really IS a passion for you, isn't it. You are such a blessing.

How about Atlanta? I'm north of ATL by about 30 miles (Alpharetta), and I could accommodate about 30 folks in my house (plus a full finished basement for kids).

I'll send an email.

If my area doesn't get picked, I'd love to attend one in Atlanta. My family is in Duluth, so I could make a whole trip of it!

Are we disqualified in doing this if we live within certain miles of you, SWB?

I was wondering this as well as Fairfax County is only 2 1/2 hours from SWB. However, we can serve MD, D.C. and VA (more, if people are willing to travel 4-5 hours) with a conference in my area.

I am up for planning something in Las Vegas area. There are a lot of venues that we could use here. I have always wanted to visit the portland, or seattle area and this would give me an excuse. This is such a great opportunity. Thanks SWB!!

SWB

Then sign me right up. :D I can organize twenty people.

An idea popped into my head just now, and I don't know if it's already been thrown out there or not (I haven't read all of the posts on this board on the subject), but I keep thinking about how much TRAVEL this will require on the part of SWB, and how, as great as these conferences would be, there still wouldn't be very many of them, I would think, if she wanted to get anything *else* in her life done. :lol:

So I was wondering if video-conferencing had been considered. All of the other stuff would stay the same, but SWB wouldn't be there "in person", but rather on some sort of live video feed, where she can present one (or more) of her lectures, plus answer any questions.

It would eat up a LOT less of her time (I would think), and make it possible for more of these house-conferences to be held (so long as you can find people with video-conferencing capabilities in their homes or local venues)

Has this been considered?

I'm in NC and I'd attend and help organize. And in spite of the fact that a certain homeschool loop in this area will only publish one side of the controversy, there are many homeschoolers in the Raleigh area use the WTM. There is even a discussion group that meets in Cary monthly.

(slightly off topic, shameless plug follows)

Yes there is!! For anybody interested, the WTMoms' next meeting is April 14 at 7 PM, at Eva Perry Library in Apex. We will discuss science. The discussions are often lively and informative. Newcomers welcome!

(We used to meet at Borders in Cary but they are closing.) :(

(/end shameless plug)

Who do I need to PM to get in the loop on this for NC? I am fairly new on these boards.

An idea popped into my head just now, and I don't know if it's already been thrown out there or not (I haven't read all of the posts on this board on the subject), but I keep thinking about how much TRAVEL this will require on the part of SWB, and how, as great as these conferences would be, there still wouldn't be very many of them, I would think, if she wanted to get anything *else* in her life done. :lol:

So I was wondering if video-conferencing had been considered. All of the other stuff would stay the same, but SWB wouldn't be there "in person", but rather on some sort of live video feed, where she can present one (or more) of her lectures, plus answer any questions.

It would eat up a LOT less of her time (I would think), and make it possible for more of these house-conferences to be held (so long as you can find people with video-conferencing capabilities in their homes or local venues)

Has this been considered?

That's a brilliant idea! You could do a conference like that using Skype with facilitators in each home helping to deal with the technology. :D :D

(slightly off topic, shameless plug follows)

Yes there is!! For anybody interested, the WTMoms' next meeting is April 14 at 7 PM, at Eva Perry Library in Apex. We will discuss science. The discussions are often lively and informative. Newcomers welcome!

(We used to meet at Borders in Cary but they are closing.) :(

(/end shameless plug)

Who do I need to PM to get in the loop on this for NC? I am fairly new on these boards.

So far, several people have sent me their info. Feel free to pm me with it, and I'll make contact once I'm home this evening.

SWB

Yes, this is exactly what I was envisioning. I would definitely be able to accomodate 20 in my home comfortably. 30 would be tight. I would think that if there was more interest we could reserve a small conference room at the Double Tree or Embassy Suites. Thank you for clarifying.:D