Menu

If TOG was free, would you use it in the younger years? Why Not?

Honey Bee

You've already heard from me, but I would not. I prefer AO for literature and SOTW for the history and activities. I like that SOTW is a narrative. If I don't want to go to the library to collect books and I don't want to do the activity, I can still just read a chapter of SOTW (or pop in the CD if I'm feeling really lazy) and they still get their history in. Easy peasy.

IMHO, No. I first came across TOG 4 yrs ago and fell in love with it, but we decided to go with a much simpler program. After sitting in one Marcia's workshops I felt that (for us) TOG would be much better for the D & RH levels. That said, we will be starting our 2nd history rotation this coming year with TOG, as my DD will now be in the D level. DS can follow along with LG, but I'm not pushing it. HTH!

Blessings,

No. Experience has taught me that it's much easier to adapt secular curricula to my faith--which requires me essentially to change nothing--than to deal with Protestant curricula. I just don't have the energy to be always looking ahead, adjusting, omitting, and replacing. Tried SonLight, all done with adapting.

We started 2 weeks ago and are really happy. I don't expect that to change...even once the honeymoon is over;).

Our oldest is ds11, but the girls (9 and 7) like it just as much...

We have been using SL for a long time (and will continue incorporating it), but I enjoy seeing the kids (even the girls) take more responsability and work almost independently.

...so, yes, I would take it for free;)

My oldest is 10. We are just finishing up our first 4 year rotation. We have done it in a co-op setting from the very beginning. I have loved it and so have my kids. By doing it in a co-op we do more of it than I would on my own at home. We get to do a lot of the hands on activities and I have gotten to learn from other moms about how to use vocabulary and teach writing. (I have an engineering background). So, obviously, I would say definitely yes. Although, if I wasn't already using it and in a co-op with it, I have to say I would consider Sonlight or My Father's World.

No. :001_smile:

Awwwww.......:tongue_smilie:

In that case...not right now. It looks great, and I plan on trying it for fourth, but it is going to take me a little while to figure it out, and I have other, more important priorities to figure out first :).

I am really surprised at the responses. Lots of No's!

TOG looks really rich even in the lower levels. What gives?

:iagree::lurk5:

It really doesn't look like any more work for the STUDENT in the younger years than SOTW+AG and other such plans - you read books and do optional projects. Honestly, it looks fairly simple to me for LG level.

My answer to the OP: I'd definitely give it a try! I plan to try it next year, just one unit to start, so I can get the TOG lust out of my system. If I like it, I'll stick with it. If I don't like it, I'll just do SOTW2 and figure out what to do for the next couple years (when we hit modern history and my youngers start to fold in, which I think TOG would be better for).

I find it funny that people will say TOG is too much for the LG stage, yet they'll be all over Sonlight, which probably has at least as much reading, if not more, for that age. :confused: Though I haven't used either, so that's just a wild guess on my part. :D But TOG looks like it's mostly simple picture books for LG, so easily read in one sitting (probably by the kid themselves if a good reader).

I find it funny that people will say TOG is too much for the LG stage, yet they'll be all over Sonlight, which probably has at least as much reading, if not more, for that age. :confused:

For us at least, it's because SL provides open and go lesson plans on a day-by-day basis. TOG doesn't :).

For us at least, it's because SL provides open and go lesson plans on a day-by-day basis. TOG doesn't :).

So people don't think it's too much for the kid, but for the parent? I think TOG looks pretty easy to plan for LG stage. It says what you can do each week. You just pick from that. I plan everything at least 6 weeks in advance anyway, so I think it'd end up open and go for me. I'm ok with not having "Read page 23-38 on Monday". If it's a picture book, it's probably "Read the whole thing". :)

Of course, I'm using Biblioplan now, which I've picked what I want from. I don't do it all (my library doesn't have most of the K-2 readers, so we've done very few of those :tongue_smilie:... thankfully it has almost all the TOG core books for Y2, or at least a reasonable substitute). If I'm doing SOTW AG, I have to pick which project I'll do. So that's just as much planning.

I think people look at TOG once and freak out. I did the same thing, but then I went back and played with it for a bit, downloading the DE sample, reading through it multiple times. I understand where everything is, what I would need to do, etc. It really doesn't look that difficult now. It totally freaked me out the first time I looked though. I quickly closed it up and didn't look again until a later discussion got me intrigued again. :lol:

As a matter of fact, I did win a fully loaded DE and do plan on using it this fall with fifth and third grade girls. I will purchase some books and use others from the library. Also I had just bought SOtW with AG so I plan on using that along with TOG 1. I will figure it all out this summer, but I want my older one to start doing some independent work. I am still closely working with her on skill subjects like PR and MM.

I'm sure SOTW 1 would have been fine for 5th grade, but I am really looking forward to adding in some of the TOG offerings that can go along with it.

Paula

Yes, especially because I can move across levels. My ds8 sometimes reads d-level books and I'll pull out a few of the accountability questions for him to answer from time to time. I like to use some R-level books with him as I'm teaching, this year I used the Holman Bible Atlas and Warfare in the Classical World with him many times.

No, I've heard too many people find all the planning overwhelming and I just don't think that's necessary in the elementary years. Plus, I found SL when my kids were in Pre-K and we all love it and plan to continue with that through at least middle school.

Now, if you were asking about the high school years, I'd have to seriously look it over.

Lisa

Guest aquiverfull

No, I would not. I purchased one unit to try and couldn't even implement it. I found it extremely difficult to plan not being able to see the books in advance. I couldn't afford to purchase the books outright and my library is not the best. It was going to take a lot of substituting.

I realized that it's overkill for us anyway. I don't want history taking over our other more important subjects. In looking at the assignments for the week, I just really couldn't see how anyone could fit in all that reading in the first two days of the week. That is recommended so you can allow for student mapping, student activity pages, projects, and discussion for the remainder of the week. I came from SL and WP and I was just more comfortable with that schedule of stretching out a book over the entire week or two, verses reading the whole thing (or sometimes only a few chapters) in one or two days.

In my opinion TOG is really overly complicated especially for the elementary years.

Edited by aquiverfull

Well, not because I'm too dumb to figure it out. ;) :D

I wasn't at all meaning that anyone was dumb. ;) I was just pointing out a common complaint about TOG - that people can't understand it.

Like a pp just said, I don't want history (or science) to take more time, energy, and money than skill subjects in K-6.

Ok, that makes sense. But if TOG were free, it ends up being similar in cost to, say, SOTW. Most people suggest using SOTW+AG for the elementary years, and I have SOTW+AG and go "How is this easier to plan?" I have to go through and select all the books and projects still, AND I have to decide what week I'll do things, which TOG has laid out already (I'm actually using BP now, so I don't have to select what weeks I'll do things :D). Time and energy... again, I'm not seeing the difference between this and SOTW+AG. So what do you end up doing in TOG that takes so much more time and energy than SOTW+AG? I'm honestly curious. This discussion is helpful to many of us. :)

(I'm trying ONE unit next year, and if we like it, we'll continue, and if we don't, we'll just do SOTW2 and maybe do American history the next couple years as my little ones join into history... I prefer to do modern history the way TOG does it, but TOG Y2/3 don't line up with SOTW 2/3, so I figure it will be easier to jump in at the beginning of Y2... cost is minimal, as my library has most of the books, and I use the hold system regularly... I don't *think* time, energy, or money will be any more than what I'm doing this year, but we'll find out when I start ;))

I wasn't at all meaning that anyone was dumb. ;) I was just pointing out a common complaint about TOG - that people can't understand it.

Ok, that makes sense. But if TOG were free, it ends up being similar in cost to, say, SOTW. Most people suggest using SOTW+AG for the elementary years, and I have SOTW+AG and go "How is this easier to plan?" I have to go through and select all the books and projects still, AND I have to decide what week I'll do things, which TOG has laid out already (I'm actually using BP now, so I don't have to select what weeks I'll do things :D). Time and energy... again, I'm not seeing the difference between this and SOTW+AG. So what do you end up doing in TOG that takes so much more time and energy than SOTW+AG? I'm honestly curious. This discussion is helpful to many of us. :)

(I'm trying ONE unit next year, and if we like it, we'll continue, and if we don't, we'll just do SOTW2 and maybe do American history the next couple years as my little ones join into history... I prefer to do modern history the way TOG does it, but TOG Y2/3 don't line up with SOTW 2/3, so I figure it will be easier to jump in at the beginning of Y2... cost is minimal, as my library has most of the books, and I use the hold system regularly... I don't *think* time, energy, or money will be any more than what I'm doing this year, but we'll find out when I start ;))

You will need to buy quite a few of their resources, even if the program was free (which it definitely isn't in real life ;),) because I know our very large public library system doesn't have many of them (especially in years 1 and 2.) And for the other books, you have to spend time getting them from the library, reserving them when you need them, scheduling them, taking them back, etc.

I wouldn't do SOTW + A/G, though, either, so I'm not comparing it to that. I'm comparing it to community-, family-, and interest-led history and science topics at will during the elementary years.

TOG has really tempted me, so I've had to think about your question. Ultimately though, I'd have to say no. I've decided not to try it at all right now. It looks fabulous but I've come to the conclusion it doesn't really fit us. I don't really like a "Week 1, Day 1" type of schedule. It feels too confining and I get stressed trying to stay somewhat on the schedule instead of just enjoying the journey. I realize that many people can do both and maybe I'll get back to that point, but right now I'm really enjoying curriculum like Galloping the Globe and Truthquest where I do the scheduling. We do enjoy using many of the resources from TOG, MFW and SL -- I just don't want anything too scheduled, especially in the lower grades.

Jean

You will need to buy quite a few of their resources, even if the program was free (which it definitely isn't in real life ;),) because I know our very large public library system doesn't have many of them (especially in years 1 and 2.)

My library system has most of the year 2 books (definitely not many of the year 1 books). I already looked them all up. :D The books I will need to buy is VERY little, and they're books that would be used by any history curriculum I would choose. I already have the Usborne World History book, so that takes care of the Usborne book recommendations in all 4 years as well.

And for the other books, you have to spend time getting them from the library, reserving them when you need them, scheduling them, taking them back, etc.

I would be doing that no matter what history I use. I reserve books every week and use my library extensively. My son reads pretty quick, so I have to get new books all the time, just to keep up with "reading" time. The branch I go to is VERY small, so I use the hold system to get books from the main branch and the other smaller branches.

I wouldn't do SOTW + A/G, though, either, so I'm not comparing it to that. I'm comparing it to community-, family-, and interest-led history and science topics at will during the elementary years.

Cool. Thanks for your input! :) I really do appreciate it! I am doing interest-led science and really love it, but I don't feel comfortable doing interest-led history. I need serious hand holding there, just to keep things straight in MY mind. If we don't go chronological, and my son asks where something fits into the history timeline (and he has done this before), I need to know where things fit, and I don't remember much history. I have an easier time with science, where it doesn't matter too much what order we do things.

No, I've used it, and it doesn't freak me out. I still wouldn't use it if I only had elementary students.

:iagree:I had no problems figuring it out or getting lost in the "fog." I just much prefer to have all my books on hand and not depend on the library (not that my library had any of the TOG books anyway). Ultimately though, I really prefer narrative-type living books and read-alouds for our history time, and to save the TOG-type books (use for 1-2 weeks, short, often non-fiction) for the kiddos to browse at and read on their own time. I didn't find the reading to be too much at all for grammar level (even with adding in SOTW and other alternative resources), but just not the TYPE of reading I like. *shrug*

I could go into other reasons why I wouldn't use it again with only littles, but I think I did that on the "other" thread from a few weeks ago.

FWIW, I don't really like using SOTW as a stand-alone either. Too much planning and library usage again.

I need some type of reading schedule, though, and I want all our history focused around GOOD BOOKS. (In my dd's words, "I just want to read, read, read history." She loves it, and reads prodigiously from our home library.) We've found a good combination for my dd's and my personalities with AO/LBC/Yesterday's Classics books and Time Traveler's CDs for added hands-on fun projects.

T I don't really like a "Week 1, Day 1" type of schedule. It feels too confining and I get stressed trying to stay somewhat on the schedule instead of just enjoying the journey.

I just want to clarify that TOG does not have a daily schedule. I'm with you on stressing out when I have to follow someone's daily schedule of do this on this day, etc. TOG has a WEEKLY schedule but then you are free to do the assignments whenever you prefer during the week, so I think it's less restrictive.