Menu

If you own chickens, what kind?

We now have a dozen little chicks! We started with 4 last week, and then our dog killed one on Saturday. :(

The girls and I brought home 9 more so we have 2 White Leghorns, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Black Sex-Linked, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, and 2 Golden Comets. They are all hens, we hope.

Just curious what kind of chickens you all have.

I had Delawares. I loved them something awful. I gave them away when we moved, but they were sweet and kind. MY daughters would carry them around and they loved it! (the chickens, that is). I would let them into the house while I puttered about and they would follow me and cluck.

We now have a dozen little chicks! We started with 4 last week, and then our dog killed one on Saturday. :(

The girls and I brought home 9 more so we have 2 White Leghorns, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Black Sex-Linked, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, and 2 Golden Comets. They are all hens, we hope.

Just curious what kind of chickens you all have.

Mine are all Salmon Faverolles. 16 hens, 1 pain-in-the-rear.

Currently we have 4 hens and two roosters. Not an ideal number. We hope to have a clutch hatch out this spring to up the number of hens.

Bill

LOL! You mean to up the number of roosters, right? Because that's how it usually works. ;)

We're getting 4 Barred Rock and 4 Rhode Island Red. They will be here next week!

Did you order them online?

I had Delawares. I loved them something awful. I gave them away when we moved, but they were sweet and kind. MY daughters would carry them around and they loved it! (the chickens, that is). I would let them into the house while I puttered about and they would follow me and cluck.

How cute!!

Mine are all Salmon Faverolles. 16 hens, 1 pain-in-the-rear.

I haven't heard of that kind. I will have to look them up. I think roosters are beautiful, but I am terrified of them.

4 Buff Orpington hens

4 Ameraucana hens

1 Ameraucana rooster

5 Buff-aucana chicks (we'll see in a week or so just how many are hens and/or roos.)

AWESOME!

We have 12 Rhode Island Reds.

Our neighbors have a bunch of Rhode Island Reds. They are beautiful!

Currently we have 4 hens and two roosters. Not an ideal number. We hope to have a clutch hatch out this spring to up the number of hens.

Bill

What do you think an ideal number is? I kept thinking 4-6 would be good, but after losing one already, I think a slightly larger number is better. We are going to do our best not to lose anymore, of course.

We've got 4 hens right now, at the most we've had 6 at one time.

right now we have

2- americaunas (our fav- super smart and lay green/blue eggs)

1-black Australorp

1 silver laced Wyandotte

in the past we had

1- buff orpington

1-polish

1- cochin -standard size w/feathers on feet

1 speckled sussex

2 barred rock

1 Leghorn

4 red sex link

Chickens we lost in the past 12 months:

1 Speckled Sussex roo... freeranged into a pig pen :eek:

3 Barred Rock eaten by a bear

1 Easter Egger eaten by a fox

1 Barred rock died as a baby chick 2 days old

2 red sex link eaten by a bear

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Our neighbors have a bunch of Rhode Island Reds. They are beautiful!

What do you think an ideal number is? I kept thinking 4-6 would be good, but after losing one already, I think a slightly larger number is better. We are going to do our best not to lose anymore, of course.

The ideal number would depend on ones set up, for us 6-7 hens and one rooster would be ideal.

Unfortunately everything in nature loves to eat chicken. So predation and loss is almost always a problem. Sorry about the problem with your dog.

Bill

Five bantams, mostly mixed breeds, can't remember any of them specifically at the moment.

Eight big hens: three golden comets, one barred rock, one silver laced wyandotte, two auracana and one white rock.

In addition I'm pretty sure that the Easter bunny might be bringing each of the kids a silkie chick. ;)

We have a lot of different breeds. Our favorites are:

1. White Brahmas because they're docile, great egg layers, and hearty.

2. Buff Polish hens because they look so funny. (The roosters are agressive.)

3. Buff Orpingtons for the same reasons as the Brahmas, but the Brahmas are better.

ETA: All this information comes from 18yos, aka the Chicken Whisperer.

2 Black Wyandotte hens

1 White Plymouth Rock hen

They are almost a year old and laying fairly regularly. I plan to add few each year until I reach dh's limit. :001_smile:

I also hope to add a bee hive sometime soon. At this point I am registering for a workshop and studying up on hive management.

Otherwise, we have one horse (off site at a stable), 2 cats, 1 dog, the 3 chickens and a grand rat (college dd's pet).

ETA: All this information comes from 18yos, aka the Chicken Whisperer.

:lol: I have one of those, too! My 10yos. LOVES his hens and is the only one to easily round them up when they're free ranging. We don't dare let them out if he's not home :D.

So, if you don't live on a farm, where do you keep them? In winter? We live in NH and I'd love to get 4-6 chicks (HENS only as we did not enjoy the roosters we incubated a few years back as they got aggressive).

My dad and I built a modified version of this. We're in MI and I ended up moving the whole set up on one side of our two car garage and surrounded it with bales of straw. They've been happy and healthy in there for two winters.

Originally Posted by Osmosis Mom

So, if you don't live on a farm, where do you keep them? In winter? We live in NH and I'd love to get 4-6 chicks (HENS only as we did not enjoy the roosters we incubated a few years back as they got aggressive).

My dad and I built a modified version of this. We're in MI and I ended up moving the whole set up on one side of our two car garage and surrounded it with bales of straw. They've been happy and healthy in there for two winters.

Ok Nadia, give up the garage! :D

We have:

Hens:

1 Barred Rock (had 2 but one died as a chick)

3 Easter Eggers

2 Rhode Island Reds

2 Black Astralorps

2 Buff Orpingtons

Roos:

2 golden sex-links. Unfortunately we got these two when we were very green in our chicken knowledge. We knew that sex-links were sexed by their difference in color, but we didnt know enough to know that the local chain store was taking advantage of our greenness and selling us the sexed roos even though we specifically asked for hens. They are about to be gotten rid of because the older they get, the more aggressive they are getting.

We have:

1 White leghorn

1 Americauna

1 Buff Orpington

1 Red Cochen bantam

1 Old English bantam

1 Mili Fluer bantam

6 Black Copper Marans Hens

2 Black Copper Marans Roosters

The Marans are in a coop and we are hoping to raise purebred chicks and sell them.

The rest are loose in the barnyard and we collect thier eggs and eat them. (We do eat the extra Marans eggs too.)

We also have:

Ancona ducks, 5 Ducks, 2 drakes

Penciled Runner ducks, 6 ducks, 4 drakes

Australian Spotted bantam ducks, 4 ducks, 4 drakes

Mandarin Ducks, 2 hens, 1 drake

1 African Goose

The ducks (all but the Mandarins) run loose until spring at which time we seperate them by breed and let the ducks set. Ducklings coming soon!

The Mandarins are in a covered 10X10 dog kennel (or they would fly away). Every year we let the Mandarin ducks hatch out a batch of ducklings and we sell them for $25 each as unsexed day olds. We get 18-20 duckling / year and along with the other chicks and ducks we sell, earn enough money to pay for our entire poultry habbit! (We don't own an incubator so everybody has to hatch naturally) It's not really a money making venture, but at least it doesn't cost us anything and we get free eggs for ourselves and our friends!

We eat the duck eggs too. They are good for baking and make the best egg salad in the world, which we had tonight for dinner. The goose lays giant, unfertilized eggs and we eat those two. 1 egg feeds 2 people. :001_smile:

Our chicks are:

4 Buff Orpingtons (one is turning out to be a boy)

3 Ameraucanas

1 Australorp

When they're old enough to be in the coop--which is at my mom's place--they'll be joining two Rhode Island Reds and, um, I forgot what the last one is. She's brown and lays brown eggs.

I'm raising mine in my backyard, hence the limits imposed by my dh, otherwise I would have a whole flock. :) I have hens only, and I keep my coop clean,clean,clean - no smells.

Quite a few people are starting backyard chickens, I know of one town here in Florida that amended zoning to allow them.

Grown birds: 1 Rhode Island Red roo named Valentine...he is very sweet actually. 14 hens including rhode island reds(all named Red), araucanas(named Hawk), black stars(named Star), pearl white leghorns(all named Snowie), a rose comb brown(Rosie),barred rocks(Darling), and a bantam buff brahma(Delilah)

2 male guineas.No names, just noise.

Chicks from this year:2 red frizzle bantams, 1 porcelain bantam,1 mottled cochin bantam, 1 Mille Fleur bantam, 1 quail antwerp belgian bantam, 20 pearl white leghorn roos, 1 delaware hen, 1 white giant hen, 1 lakenvelder hen, 25 pearl white leghorn hens.

We order from Murray McMurray every other year. The eggs help feed our pigs(and friends and us), and this is the first year we purposely ordered roos for eating.

We have, complete with chicken names (because naming chickens is one of my (and the kids') favorite parts):

1 white leghorn (Super)

1 buff orpington (Nedcy)

1 barred rock (Flannery)

2 new hampshire reds (Violet and Sidekick)

2 Easter eggers (Cupcake and Galaxy)

1 Blue Andalusian (Numbers)

1 Cuckoo Maran (Peach)

Ours live in the backyard...free run of the (fenced) yard during the day, in a run made of modified dog kennels at night. We're in Georgia, so we don't have to worry about the cold much, but on the very coldest nights we hang a heat lamp over their roosting bar (the pen is right by the basement, so we just run an extension cord through the window).

I listed our 4 hens, but I didn't think of listing their names!

Dapples -Americauna

Elsie-Americauna

Little Wing- Lacy Wyandotte

Annabel -black Austalope

in the past we also had:

mcnugget

Pickering I and Pickering II

Mad Dog -a buff Orpington who was huge! totally lived up to her name!

we have a backyard flock, have to keep it small and no roosters.

We have, complete with chicken names (because naming chickens is one of my (and the kids') favorite parts):

1 white leghorn (Super)

1 buff orpington (Nedcy)

1 barred rock (Flannery)

2 new hampshire reds (Violet and Sidekick)

2 Easter eggers (Cupcake and Galaxy)

1 Blue Andalusian (Numbers)

1 Cuckoo Maran (Peach)

Salmon Faverolles are a French heritage chicken. Very pretty buff and cream hens with beards. The roosters are cream-necked with red, gold, black and green bodies. They are a dual purpose breed, slow to grow, but they get quite hefty. Very good layers and very good mommas. Temperament-wise, they are milder than most breeds I've ever had, but roosters are pains in the butt no matter what, IMO. They're also somewhat winter hardy, which is good for here.

2 Barred Rocks, a Buff Orpington, Welsummer, Gold-Laced Wyandotte, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Americauna, New Hampshire, Black Sex-Link, and a white mutt. 10 in all. 9 of them lay tan eggs, and the Americauna lays a green egg. We get about 8 eggs a day, but the Welsummer has been broody and won't get off her nest!

We have

2 welsummers

7 black rocks

Though one of the black rocks may be a welsummer, they look so similar, the jury's out on what she actually is. She was sold as a welsummer but now she is an adult we are pretty sure she is a black rock.

I would love to get silver laced wyandottes or jubilee orpingtons.

2 Delawares

1 black sex link

2 Rhode Island Reds

1 New Hampshire

4 Buff Orpington hens

2 Buff Orpington Roos, giant and perfectly sweet if they can't see the hens ;)

Although these are 2-4 years old, we still get 8-10 eggs every day. In the dead of winter, we get 4-5 a day.

and new this year...14 days old yesterday!

2 Mottled Japanese bantam chicks (these peeps think they are eagles or something:D)

2 Black Tailed Japanese bantam chicks

I really want some Fayoumi's and some Dorkings but I only buy from breeders and finding those around here would be a miracle. We love chickens!

Georgia

We started out with 2 NH Reds, 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Cuckoo Maran and 1 Dominique. All have been great breeds for us although we are partial to the NH Reds (we have one rooster and one hen). All are very good layers; the Ameraucanas produce the pretty greenish blue and the Cuckoo Maran a darker brown. The Ameraucanas are the most prolific layers, but they are a little more reserved than our other birds. The NH Reds are the friendliest.

I say show us pictures of your coops and/or runs and how you keep them warm during cold winters....

I dare ya'll.:D

Believe it or not, there is a Building Chicken Coops for Dummies book!

Go to YouTube and look up portable or moveable chicken coops. Lots of great videos!

4 Silver-laced Wyandottes

5 Golden Comets

all pullets born on 3/7 and in our living room for now!

Chickens make great pets. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/

Originally Posted by Osmosis Mom viewpost.gif

I say show us pictures of your coops and/or runs and how you keep them warm during cold winters....

Osmosis MomI say show us pictures of your coops and/or runs and how you keep them warm during cold winters....

I dare ya'll.:D Osmosis MomI say show us pictures of your coops and/or runs and how you keep them warm during cold winters....

I dare ya'll.:D

You really need to go to www.backyardchickens.com Someone here pointed me in t hat direction and well, I am addicted to that site almost as much as this one. They have groups for every state, pictures of all types of coops people built... I am sure you can find just what you are looking for.

As for us, no chicks yet. We ordered thru 4-H as they were promised to arrive 2 weeks ago and they were cheapest 25 chicks for $15. We will be receiving 25 Bovan Browns, 1 day old, and hopefully all hens. They are now supposed to arrive April 12th. I have told my son he could raise some others as well so as soon as we get that brooder finished we will purchase a mixed group form TSC or Atwoods.

The bovans are supposed to be a very hearty, easy to raise bird that lays lots and lots of eggs. With this many chicks I plan on selling eggs we can't eat. I would like to raise some meat birds but have not found a processor yet in our area. I really, really don't want to process them myself...