Menu

Tell me about elective c-sections

I'm trying to hang in there, but it's really difficult. Dh and I have been talking and honestly, he'd be happy if we had a c-section tonight :glare: I'd like to avoid it.

It boils down to the fact that I've had PUPPPs most of this pregnancy and it's gotten worse. My body is full of rashes and sores (it's spread from my body down to my knuckles and feet...it's literally everywhere except my face). I think I've developed a secondary infection on one of my fingers (like a small cluster of blisters). I can't take prednisone while pregnant (previous history of issues). I'm on Atarax (which I only take at night as it makes me sleepy) and 2.5% hydrocortisone cream (which I can go through a tube in a few days). I'm doing super hot showers followed by cool showers when things get really bad. It's gotten so bad today that I can't even itch because it all just hurts. I'm 34w2d. and they want me to get to 37wks. I'm thinking of starting EPO and I notice that baby moves down when I walk a lot, but my cervix hasn't come down and forward yet. I know induction increases my risk, so I would like to try to encourage my body to get ready. The only time I've been induced, my body was already ready...I was 5cm dilated, pretty well effaced, and about to go into labour anyway.

Go ahead and revoke my crunchy card. I'm a wreck. I'm a wreck trying to wait this out. I'm scared to elect for induction or c-section. So if you know anything about PUPPPs or other chronic issues that have made pregnancy unbearable (and I don't say that word lightly), please just talk to me.

*the duck has finally met her match*

I know someone who had that. I believe they did a C-Section as soon as the Dr. would do it. From what I've heard it's awful! :grouphug: Hope you feel better and can make a choice you are at peace with. You won't get any tomatoes from me! Pregnancy by itself is hard, even when there are no complications.

Edited by tiffkeeton

:grouphug: So sorry you are going through this.

I'm not an expert on elective c's but I've had four myself. The first one was breach, the second was an emergency and the other two were because of the first two. I would never schedule one at 34 weeks unless there's no other choice. Nor would I try to push the baby unless there's no other choice. If you do decide to go early by choice, opt for the steroid shot for the baby's lungs. I had two 34 week babies and the one without the steriod shot spent three weeks on life support.

Hang in there, it's not much longer!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: That sounds horrible!!!!!!!! You can start the EPO but I'd try to hang on if I were you. I've had a slightly preemie baby in the NICU for 2.5 weeks and it's not something I'd wish on anyone. (Neither is severe PUPPS but I think I'd take that over the NICU.) Just 2 weeks & 2 days!!! (And yes, I probably would sign up for some form of induction the moment I turned 37 weeks in your position, even being pretty crunchy.)

Every day you hang in there helps your baby more. My son was induced because my first was "big". It ended up the u/s was wrong, he was premature, and we still have neurological and digestive problems we are dealing with because of that. Elective c-sections triple the maternal and infant death rate. PUPPS sucks, but hang in there! If they decide to induce, then ask for an amnio of baby's lungs if you are before 38-39 weeks. It's likely your insurance will not even pay for an elective c-section, at the very least.

I have had 2 emergency c-sections.

I am ducking from the organic tomatoes as I say I think elective c-sections/induction ought to be illegal. There is no reason to put your baby at risk because you are uncomfortable. You want to talk about uncomfortable? Try PTL from 17 weeks on. Try a your baby being on oxygen because he/she was not ready. Think it doesnt happen to "full term" 38 week babies? You should visit a NICU. I envy you mom's who have the ability to carry your babies full term and couldn't imagine allowing them to be taken from my womb before they were ready just because I was uncomfortable. Not to mention putting yourself at unneccesary risk for infection and on on. Our bodies are designed to know when baby is ready and a few days can make the difference.

If that isnt enough, recovering from an abdominal surgery while trying to take care of a new born...Well think about barely being able to move for several days, and having to get up and feed a baby every 2 hours.

I am sorry you are itchy. I had a mild case and agree it can be miserable. Maybe try an oatmeal bath?

Oh my goodness! I had to google that. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I will pray for you.

I had ICP for the last four months of one of my pregnancies. I certainly understand that "being so miserable you feel like you are C.R.A.Z.Y." feeling! I didn't choose a c-section because I had already had three and with each discovered a new pain drug that I am allergic too. With my third section, Anaprox sent me into anaphylaxis and I nearly died. I set myself to ride it out until the end and then babe went 17 days over! I wanted to die.

Bless your heart.

That sounds absolutely miserable, I'm so sorry.

No experience with pupps, but I do have experience with preemies and NICU stays, and it was pretty awful.

I've also dealt with some of the post emergency c/s problems listed above, also pretty miserable long term.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

I had an "emergency" c-section at 37 weeks. My baby was born mostly healthy. He had a very mild case of jaundice and was given a bili blanket.

Recovery afterward was tough at times. He slept near my bed, so round the clock feedings weren't really that bad. I also put a bassinet or bed on every level of the house. When he napped, so did I and we napped in whatever area of the house we happened to be in. I was back to normal about 8 weeks out. My DH was able to help with household chores after work, but the baby and I were alone most of the day from 3 weeks on. We ate a lot of take out or frozen dinners.

Basically I spent many hours each day just holding him. He was my first and it ended up being a real blessing. It seems impossible that I'll be able to do that with this pregnancy.

I had HG through my pregnancy and it was a joy to be able to eat again. And eat without fear of vomiting and the ER.

The c-section itself was...I had emotional issues with(more related to being unprepared and some other things) and with some of the medication given, but it was the same when they gave me an epidural. I was given ephedrine to bring my BP back to normal twice.

You sound miserable, so I'm going to very gently offer :grouphug:. I hope you and your DH get to talk this out and find a workable solution. I'm not crunchy in the least, so I'll just say that if you choose a c-section and are prepared ahead of time I don't see anything wrong with that.

I am ducking from the organic tomatoes as I say I think elective c-sections/induction ought to be illegal. There is no reason to put your baby at risk because you are uncomfortable.

The OP sounds a lot more than "uncomfortable" to me - she's in PAIN. She has infections, open sores, can't take the appropriate medications, and has described her situation as "unbearable".

I don't know anything about PUPPPs, and I'm very sorry you're so miserable. But, just based on my personal experience, I would strongly advise you not to go with an elective c-section. On my doctor's advice, I was induced unnecessarily with my first daughter, and then when the induction failed because she wasn't ready to come yet, I had a c-section. I will never do that again unless my baby and/or myself are at risk. (I did, actually, go through another induction with my second.) My daughter was small and just not ready yet, and my body knew it, even though they said that she was overdue. I know that they do c-sections all the time, but it is still a major surgery and can have significant complications lasting for years. I don't want to go into the awful details, especially not to a woman who's going to have a baby soon, but I wish I could go back and tell myself to just stick it out.

Edited by mmconde

I'm trying to hang in there, but it's really difficult. Dh and I have been talking and honestly, he'd be happy if we had a c-section tonight :glare: I'd like to avoid it.

It boils down to the fact that I've had PUPPPs most of this pregnancy and it's gotten worse. My body is full of rashes and sores (it's spread from my body down to my knuckles and feet...it's literally everywhere except my face). I think I've developed a secondary infection on one of my fingers (like a small cluster of blisters). I can't take prednisone while pregnant (previous history of issues). I'm on Atarax (which I only take at night as it makes me sleepy) and 2.5% hydrocortisone cream (which I can go through a tube in a few days). I'm doing super hot showers followed by cool showers when things get really bad. It's gotten so bad today that I can't even itch because it all just hurts. I'm 34w2d. and they want me to get to 37wks. I'm thinking of starting EPO and I notice that baby moves down when I walk a lot, but my cervix hasn't come down and forward yet. I know induction increases my risk, so I would like to try to encourage my body to get ready. The only time I've been induced, my body was already ready...I was 5cm dilated, pretty well effaced, and about to go into labour anyway.

Go ahead and revoke my crunchy card. I'm a wreck. I'm a wreck trying to wait this out. I'm scared to elect for induction or c-section. So if you know anything about PUPPPs or other chronic issues that have made pregnancy unbearable (and I don't say that word lightly), please just talk to me.

:grouphug:

PUPPS is miserable. I've never had it, but I've had friends who had/have. I have a friend right now 36 weeks with twins and PUPPs. I don't know what gender you are having, but she said that she found out that something like 70% of women who have PUPPS are carrying boys? She's hoping she has a girl in there too though. loL

Anyway, I think only you, your DH and your doctor can make that decision. C-section is a major surgery...it has much higher risk of complications then labor. Also, there is the recovery period to consider. I've never had a c-section so I can't speak from experience. But I do know how much I love being able to get up and walk around a few hours later, without pain.

Its just a TV show I know ,but I watched one of those reality labor and delivery shows on Disc. Health, and a woman was being induced for this very reason (PUPPS). You're still pretty early to be induced. But maybe at 37 weeks your OB will discuss it with you. *hugs*

Will something like an Aveeno oatmeal bath help? I know it helped my severely itchy eczema kid. :grouphug:

Anna, I'm saying this as gently as I can without crying: this isn't "uncomfortable" or mild itchiness. I literally have SORES and SCABS everywhere. I'm developing an infection due to it. I KNOW that every bit I wait this out is better and safer for the baby...that is WHY I'm trying my darndest to wait this out AND keep my sanity. Oatmeal bath? Honey, that's a joke when the issue is internal, not external (this isn't poison ivy). I also don't like what I've heard about recovery for c-sections. Another reason on the con side. I'm saying that I'm trying to make it to 37wks and then it's play by ear, but I may be up against a wall depending on how much worse this gets. When I'm not sleeping, can't have anyone touch me, developing an infection, open sores everywhere, and get near panic at times from the irritability and jumpiness it's all creating....I'm not dealing with just a bit of "discomfort". I've survived THREE hyperemesis pregnancies...one ending in a IUD due to reaction to medication and one with a premature baby who developed RSV her first winter. I KNOW some of the risks. I'm asking for two things here...both the good and the bad of either decision and a little support. Talk me off the ledge or talk me onto it...but don't beat me up for weighing it all out. That is all I'm asking here is to be able to put it all out there to look at and think about. Anyone that has known me long enough (and there are some on here that do...even a few that have met me IRL) know that this isn't something that was easy for me to consider, let alone admit to considering. I'm usually pretty hardheaded about this sort of thing, but from the words you've used, what you've experienced is definitely a mild to nil case of the hell I'm experiencing. If nothing else, I will still try to avoid a c-section...however, I might not be able to avoid induction and that increases my risk of the other. I still need to know what I'm up against.

Believe me, after two losses this past year, I want nothing more than to have a healthy baby...and this is my last baby, so I do want her here safely.

Edited by mommaduck

If I were in your position, I would have the steriod shots and do an amino at 36wks to see if the lungs are mature and then deliver if possible.

J was a 36wkr, we had GI problems from the beginning (I feel it had NOTHING to do with his gestation however) and jaundice. I had my steriod injections at 30wks-his lungs were PERFECT at birth!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I wish I could go back and tell myself to just stick it out.

This is my mantra right now. Sometimes it seems like I'll make it and then a flare up will make me feel like I'm going to lose it...oy! I'm learning that I should probably not go out of the house anymore. Even picking my oldest up from school creates issues and I'm always so glad to get back home.

I will ask about steroid injections at the next appt...better to have them just in case.

MD,

IMO an "elective csection" is one in which the woman wants a CS so that she can hit the gym 5 days later, return to a frivolous job, or keep a manicure appointment. It is NOT elective when the mama is miserable and umcomfortable and cannot get rest. Both your physical and mental health are important!!!

This is my mantra right now. Sometimes it seems like I'll make it and then a flare up will make me feel like I'm going to lose it...oy! I'm learning that I should probably not go out of the house anymore. Even picking my oldest up from school creates issues and I'm always so glad to get back home.

I will ask about steroid injections at the next appt...better to have them just in case.

:grouphug::grouphug: Have you heard the mantra, "I can do ANYTHING for one minute"? A lot of women use it during natural childbirth to manage the pain. When you flare up, you can do a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. for one minute. And then when that minute is over, take a deep breath. You did it--you made it through the whole minute. Woohoo! And then you start again--I can do anything for one minute. (Which you know because you already made it through the last minute!) It helps during the hard parts to break it down into manageable chunks until the flare or ctx or whatever the painful issue is lessened. :grouphug:

I have no experience with PUPPS. I have, however, had 4 c-sections. The first 2 were emergency due to fetal distress and the third was scheduled (because of the previous 2), the fourth was scheduled due to a complete placentia previa. I'm not sure any of those count as "elective.":confused:

However, I just wanted to chime in and say you can absolutely recover from a c-section!! I am a runner (3+ miles, 3-4x/week) and didn't start running till after #2 was born. I was emotionally traumatized with the first c-section (I wasn't in labor, I had gone in to be induced since I was 2 1/2 weeks overdue. Baby crashed and they put me to sleep so I woke up in severe pain with a little person I hadn't gotten to see come out of me). The second one was traumatic because it was another emergency when the doc had said it should be fine to do a vbac.

The first one was the hardest recovery, both emotionally and physically. The second one was so much easier, I knew I could do it because I had done it before.

If it needs to happen (only you and dh and doc can decide that) please know you can recover. There's far less chance of complications if it's elective and not an emergency! And, if you do have a c-section, my best btdt advice is to buy a girdle! You'll feel like your insides are falling out when you walk for the first few weeks and a girdle will "hold them in." Trust me, it's worth it!:D

In any case, :grouphug:. I'll be praying for your comfort and peace and a healthy baby!!

:grouphug: You poor thing. :( I would at least request steroid shots for lung development and then an amnio to check lung maturity. If the baby looked to be in good shape lungwise, I'd go ahead either with an induction (your cervix is ripe, so induction seems like it would be less risky than surgery) or a c-section. If the baby's lungs didn't look good, I'd hang out for another few days/a week and check again. :grouphug:

So if anyone tries to revoke your crunchy card for this, I personally will throw locally grown organic tomatoes at them for you.

:D

MD,

IMO an "elective csection" is one in which the woman wants a CS so that she can hit the gym 5 days later, return to a frivolous job, or keep a manicure appointment. It is NOT elective when the mama is miserable and umcomfortable and cannot get rest. Both your physical and mental health are important!!!

:iagree:

I'm about as crunchy as they get. Four unmedicated homebirths here! What I would do is search for natural solutions to pupps on the web and try whatever seemed to fit in my situation. I don't know much about it, but I would try a diet of meat, veggies (nonstartchy as in no potatoes), and avocados and nuts (for a week...no grains, beans, sugar, sweet fruit) and see if that helps. I have a lot of inflammation going on (fm, cf, and food allergies and more!) and this has helped me so, so much. It really is a diet that has helped a lot of random conditions. It may be worth a try. Anyways, find out what has helped others naturally (if you haven't already!) if you can't do the meds and if it's gets unbearable there is no shame in c-section! Of course, there's a longer recovery time to be expected and if you haven't already had one and you want more children then things may get complicated in the future as a result.

So sorry mama! :grouphug:

Edited by JENinOR

I have not had PUPPS but I am wondering if the doc can at least prescribe some pain medication for you. With my first daughter, I had severe pelvic pain for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy, I could not walk to the bathroom without crying. I also could not sleep. My doc prescribed me some pain medication to at least help me sleep. I find that things are a lot more emotionally manageable if I can at least get some sleep.

Both of my children were induced and I have no experience with c-sections. I will say that my second daughter was induced at 37 weeks and was delivered successfully with no complications at all. I agree with a previous poster that said that you are no longer dealing with an elective induction/c-section but something that impacts your health. I would seriously discuss doing what you need to do to have the best possible outcome for both of you.

I am ducking from the organic tomatoes as I say I think elective c-sections/induction ought to be illegal. There is no reason to put your baby at risk because you are uncomfortable. You want to talk about uncomfortable? Try PTL from 17 weeks on. Try a your baby being on oxygen because he/she was not ready. Think it doesnt happen to "full term" 38 week babies? You should visit a NICU. I envy you mom's who have the ability to carry your babies full term and couldn't imagine allowing them to be taken from my womb before they were ready just because I was uncomfortable. Not to mention putting yourself at unneccesary risk for infection and on on. Our bodies are designed to know when baby is ready and a few days can make the difference.

If that isnt enough, recovering from an abdominal surgery while trying to take care of a new born...Well think about barely being able to move for several days, and having to get up and feed a baby every 2 hours.

I am sorry you are itchy. I had a mild case and agree it can be miserable. Maybe try an oatmeal bath?

I've never had PUPPS but from what I've heard its beyond just itchy-ness. Its obviously serious enough for women to want to consider induction. As I said in my post, I have a friend PG with twins and she is beyond miserable too. She is getting zero sleep at night because of the PUPPS. At that point, and when it starts causing secondary infections, its really a risk to the mom and baby's health. She's 36 weeks and she's trying everything she can to go into labor as well.

Anna, I'm saying this as gently as I can without crying: this isn't "uncomfortable" or mild itchiness. I literally have SORES and SCABS everywhere. I'm developing an infection due to it. I KNOW that every bit I wait this out is better and safer for the baby...that is WHY I'm trying my darndest to wait this out AND keep my sanity. Oatmeal bath? Honey, that's a joke when the issue is internal, not external (this isn't poison ivy). I also don't like what I've heard about recovery for c-sections. Another reason on the con side. I'm saying that I'm trying to make it to 37wks and then it's play by ear, but I may be up against a wall depending on how much worse this gets. When I'm not sleeping, can't have anyone touch me, developing an infection, open sores everywhere, and get near panic at times from the irritability and jumpiness it's all creating....I'm not dealing with just a bit of "discomfort". I've survived THREE hyperemesis pregnancies...one ending in a IUD due to reaction to medication and one with a premature baby who developed RSV her first winter. I KNOW some of the risks. I'm asking for two things here...both the good and the bad of either decision and a little support. Talk me off the ledge or talk me onto it...but don't beat me up for weighing it all out. That is all I'm asking here is to be able to put it all out there to look at and think about. Anyone that has known me long enough (and there are some on here that do...even a few that have met me IRL) know that this isn't something that was easy for me to consider, let alone admit to considering. I'm usually pretty hardheaded about this sort of thing, but from the words you've used, what you've experienced is definitely a mild to nil case of the hell I'm experiencing. If nothing else, I will still try to avoid a c-section...however, I might not be able to avoid induction and that increases my risk of the other. I still need to know what I'm up against.

Believe me, after two losses this past year, I want nothing more than to have a healthy baby...and this is my last baby, so I do want her here safely.

And I truly understand that. I had 3 hellish pregnancies from the other POV though so that is where my passion comes from with this. There is something about having to walk away from a hospital without your baby that you fought so hard to keep alive that leaves you emotional when someone talks about elective c-sections. I TRULY am sorry that you are in pain. I have been there. Not with PUPPS but with several other issues and even through all that pain, knowing what I know now, about c-sections and pre-mature/term babies I would still urge you to wait it out. I have heard great things about oatmeal and I know someone else mentioned the oatmeal stuff by Aveno. The doctor might be able to give you an Rx if you dont already have one.:grouphug:

Said with plenty of hugs and sympathy...

My opinion is trying to have a baby before s/he is ready to be born, whether succussful induction or c/s, is just trading one misery for another.

Only difference between the two miseries is your current one is mostly guaranteed to end within a set parameter of time. The consequences of the other misery could be nothing or could result in misery far outlasting the span of the next month or so you might have to currently endure.

Hang in there!:grouphug:

I was induced early with each of my boys (the first 4 were for medical reasons, the 5th was because I was terrified of having the baby on the side of the road with 4 other sons in tow). My oldest was induced 3 days before his due date, and my second son was induced a month early.

My oldest was a 24 hour labor resulting in an emergency c-section. He got himself s.t.u.c.k.--so much so they had trouble getting him unstuck to get him out through the c-section. He was my only c-section, and my recovery wasn't bad at all. I was in the hospital for a couple of days, and went to an outlet mall with my parents about a week after he was born. It wasn't the most comfortable thing I've ever done, and I had to rest a lot, but I do think moving around helped in my quick recovery.

My 2nd was a 36 hour labor. He was a month early. Because of the c-section, my doctor really wanted me to have an epidural as soon as possible, so I did. He had no health problems at all.

My 3rd, 4th, & 5th were all induced a week or two early, and my labors were shorter. I'd had my 3rd by dinner time, and my 4th and 5th were born by lunch. I had epidurals with all of them, too.

:grouphug: I'm sorry you're so miserable. I would weigh the pros & cons with your doctor. Hang in as long as you can (I would really try to make it to 37 weeks, but geepers...with what you describe I don't know that I could), and know that opting for an induction and/or c-section doesn't make you any less of a mother. If anyone gives you flack, I'll be in the line with the organic tomatoes to throw at them :grouphug:.

Oh sweetie! :grouphug: I had PUPP (PUPS? whatever) with my first. It really, REALLY bites. Really. Mine seemed to get better around 37 weeks, but it was just sheer misery. Awful. Did I mention how terrible it was?

I can't tell you what to do. You're kind of a pro at this baby-making thing. You know what is best for you, your body, your baby, your family. Do what works.:grouphug:

I am so sorry you are going through a difficult pregnancy. My last pregnany had a ton of complications and I was completely miserable. I did choose to go full term though my Dr did offer me earlier c-sections. My son still had issues and had to stay.

Having had a baby in the NICU, I would let the baby cook as long as possible. It was complete hell. I have never been through anything so difficult on me physically and emotionally (with all the worry) than my pregnany and his hospital stay.

And crunchy card be ****ed, you do what you need to, I am just giving my own opinion which is effected by a rough experience.

Edited by Sis

Praying for a miracle, MommaDuck.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I tried to get the little Orthodox praying mama to show up, but I don't know how to do it on here. Anyway, please do what is right for you, and let the tomato throwers go hang. No one should have to live this way. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh my goodness! What you're going through sounds horrible. I'm not sure you could even say "elective C-section" in your case - we need a 3rd option - a "sanity preserving C-section" perhaps?

I don't advocate C-sections - dd10 was a homebirth, and I'd pick that everytime. That said, ds4 was an emergency C-section after complete placenta previa caused a bleed, and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. A lot will be your attitute and general response to pain and discomfort. Get out of bed as soon as humanly possible, and walk. As ds was in high care, I was up and walking within 24hrs (probably could have been sooner, but I'd needed a couple of units of blood, was in high care myself for the first 24hrs, and had to walk down a corridor everytime I wanted to see him). I never called for a nurse, always walked to the nursing station myself, walked to see ds every few hours, etc.

The facts as I experienced them: I could have easily left the hospital at 48hrs, and could have staggered out at 24hrs. I found I had some initial trouble dealing with the C-section scar on an emotional level - it felt really, really odd and numb, and did not feel like my body, and that shook me. Four years later I literally cannot see the scar. Physically, at 5 days, when we left hospital, I remember that it hurt to drive over bumps in the road. I was driving myself at 10 days, so that had obviously resolved by then. It hurt to walk up stairs - that's the only real problem I remember with pain. And my whole body was very stiff from walking hunched over to compensate for the scar - that took a week or so to go completely.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nikki

As a leader of a local ICAN group and a VBAC mom, I would say try the induction before doing the c-section, but if it doesn't work out, hey, at least you tried. But I really would try for a vaginal birth first, just because of the possible complications of the c-section,mainly for the baby. Being born that early is a risk anyway so you want to minimize all other risks. Getting squeezed out the birth canal really does help prevent a lot of the breathing difficulties that land them in the NICU. You've given birth before, and if you start the EPO and maybe get some chiropractic care to get everything lined up you have a good chance of the induction working. If you were a first time mom it would be more difficult, but I think in this instance your body will remember what to do and push that kid out like it is supposed to. Besides, as someone else said, a c-section increases your risks if you ever have another pregnancy.

Oh, and I think I've heard that acupuncture might help with PUPPS, seems worth a try.

First of all.... :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I've SO been where you are!! Mine was diagnosed not as PUPPS (although that's what the doctor said it was at first), but as Pemphigoid gestationis. I would first, if you haven't already, recommend seeing a dermatologist and insisting on a test for PG. Me dermatologist had to send the sample away, and it took a week or so to get back the results, but it sounds a LOT like what you are going through. I have scars up and down my legs from the scratching, and my sheets were blood-stained from scratching myself in my sleep until I bled. I even got the blisters under my cuticles and on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. (I would also recommend to the PP who said she had a friend preg with twins with a severe case of PUPPS recommend that she get tested... I was with twins when I developed PG.) I would've seriously lost my mind if not for prednisone. If you can't take it, :grouphug::grouphug:, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. I think an elective c-section, IMHO, is one where, as a PP said, it's done for the convenience of the mother or doctor. Yours is NOT for convenience. It's necessity. Not sleeping at night, scratching yourself until you get infections... it's really, REALLY not good. :grouphug::grouphug:

Oh mommaduck! I'm so sad to hear how awful this has been for you. I remember you thought it might be ICP, which would probably be about as miserable as what you've got. The PUPPS sounds like it may even be worse.

I've had ICP twice and it was baaaaaad. I wanted to die. I have a pretty good idea of what you're going through and that those oatmeal baths are not going to cut it! (Tried it anyway. It didn't help.) The first time through we had planned on a birth center birth and were devestated when we we found out we would have to induce at the hospital at 37 weeks (we found this out 4 days before it would be happening.) We were taking Bradley classes at the time and our instructor researched every natural alternative she could think of to help us make it a few more weeks. We agonized and prayed our guts out, but in the end it was my misery (and the risk of fetal death in this case) that won out over the ideal we had hoped for. I was so relieved to have an option to end it all at that point. Everything turned out fine and I think we made the right decision.

Next time around we induced at 36 weeks and had a perfectly healthy 8 pound baby boy. Boys lungs are usually less developed than girls at that point I've heard, but he was fine. Just a little jaundiced.

We've also done the NICU thing. The third time I thought I had the ICP itchies, but the bloodwork was always normal and the itching was really not that bad. So we talked about inducing a lot but ended up waiting it out until 40 weeks 4 days and I went into labor on my own and had a lovely delivery of a beautiful 9 pound baby girl....who was whisked away to the NICU two hours after birth with breathing problems, low platelet counts and some sort of infection that was never identified. She was there for 10 days. It was pretty hard to have a baby in the NICU but I would take that experience over the misery of the ICP any day.

So, you just never know with birth. Who would have thought it was my 9 pound 40 weeker who would be in the NICU and not my 36 weeker? But I can tell you that with each and every birth (number 4 was a waterbirth at home. My husband was pretty nervous about that after our first 3 experiences) we did as much research as we could, prayed hard, and trusted our gut (okay, my gut in the case of the homebirth) and I know we were guided in the decisions we made and everything worked out for the best. In hindsight it's so easy to know what the right decision was, but I trust you to be able work through this and feel what is right for you.

Hang in there. Lots of prayers coming your way!!!!

Also, although I advise against a c-section if at all possible, I believe in being prepared as well. The ICAN website has information on having a family centered c-section, on healing more easily, etc. Everything you could want to know should be in the white papers there. http://ican-online.org/ican-white-papers

Thank you. I'm looking through these now. I really do want to avoid c-section. Sometimes though it's just so tempting when I'm in the middle of a bad moment and DH is watching in pain for me. The induction may or may not be optional depending on how I am later, what else comes up, and just as to what ends up being the best option for us.

First of all.... :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I've SO been where you are!! Mine was diagnosed not as PUPPS (although that's what the doctor said it was at first), but as Pemphigoid gestationis. I would first, if you haven't already, recommend seeing a dermatologist and insisting on a test for PG. Me dermatologist had to send the sample away, and it took a week or so to get back the results, but it sounds a LOT like what you are going through. I have scars up and down my legs from the scratching, and my sheets were blood-stained from scratching myself in my sleep until I bled. I even got the blisters under my cuticles and on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. (I would also recommend to the PP who said she had a friend preg with twins with a severe case of PUPPS recommend that she get tested... I was with twins when I developed PG.) I would've seriously lost my mind if not for prednisone. If you can't take it, :grouphug::grouphug:, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. I think an elective c-section, IMHO, is one where, as a PP said, it's done for the convenience of the mother or doctor. Yours is NOT for convenience. It's necessity. Not sleeping at night, scratching yourself until you get infections... it's really, REALLY not good. :grouphug::grouphug:

Okay, I'm definitely PUPPPs just by looking at photos of each. But those photos tell me that there is definitely a "worse". OUCH!

Oh, MY! I never had this when pregnant but a few years ago I became toxic from the hormone therapy that I was taking. I broke out with blistery soars all over my body, arms, hands and legs. Not fun.

One of the things that helped me greatly was a product called Nerve Tonic. It is homeopathic but you would want to run it by your dr. It made it so I survived emotionally.

I pray you find a solution quickly.

I don't know if you could call my c-section "elective" because there wasn't any other safe way to have my babies (monoamniotic twins), but it was planned.

To be honest, based on talking to friends who had emergency c-sections, I think it was easier to know that it was coming. So even if you go in for induction (which I would if you can, just because vaginal birth was, ime, a much easier recovery), prepare yourself for a c-section, so that if it happens you'll be ready. Fwiw, saying the Jesus prayer while they were getting all the anesthesia set up was really helpful to me; it helped keep me calm.

Also, fwiw, my c-section didn't lead to any permanent health issues for me at all. Perfect recovery. Not fun, but not terrible either.

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. And I'm not you, so I don't know what decision is right for you to make. The only other experience I have to share is the experience of a mom who had her babies in the NICU for a month because of prematurity (they were 33 weeks). That was truly awful.

I honestly think there are cases where taking a baby out early is warranted, so no judgment here. Especially if your secondary infection travels - that puts both you and your baby in harm's way. All I can offer is the information that it's incredibly hard to watch your baby struggle to breathe. As long as you can breathe for your baby, I would. But with that much pain and the danger of infection, I really, really understand why you want this done as soon as possible. I'm so sorry. For as long as you can hold out, know that you're breathing for your baby. At this very moment, you're being a hero to that little one. God bless you.

MD,

I agree 100%!!! And Mommaduck is way beyond even miserable and uncomfortable.

We all know that the longer babe stays in, the better. BUT there is never a guarantee that even a full term baby will be perfectly healthy and not require a NICU stay for one thing or another. I work on a postpartum unit. We send term babies to NICU nearly daily. My point is that you just never know. Most 37 weekers do great!

Sweetie, you have to do what is best for YOU and BABY. Praying for you! :grouphug:

Thanks. The blood tests ruled out ICP. Then the rash started and that's when they decided it was PUPPPs. It also started and spread differently than ICP does.

Yes, ICP doesn't have a rash. The itching can be all over, though. I've had friends with Pupps and I know it's awful, too.

Having had a baby in the NICU, I would let the baby cook as long as possible. It was complete hell.

:iagree:

I can't pass judgment on your pain - we are all human. However, I will urge you to hang on until either one of your lives is in jeopardy or you get to 37 weeks (or 36 at the very least). Mine were 33.5 weekers, and still, even at that age, one of them was on a ventilator with respiratory distress syndrome. They were dripping surfactant into his lungs. (Consider a visit to the NICU.) Have you ever had a moment where you wish you could take your child's place for just a few moments, to spare them the risks/pain/whatever? Having a baby in the NICU is a pretty helpless feeling. If you choose premature delivery, you may have regrets. ETA: I see that they're making you wait till 37w. At that point, I'd have no qualms, given your situation.

As for a section, consider whether you're hoping for more kids - in some places it's not so easy to convince a doc to do a vbac. When you get far enough along, or as far as you possibly can, I'd go for the induction, obviously with the section waiting in the wings if the induction fails. A section isn't the end of the world, but it's still major surgery and has risks of its own. My section recovery was far, far more difficult than my recovery from my subsequent vaginal deliveries.

:grouphug: lots of prayers for you

Edited by wapiti

I've only read the first page, but, man, this sure isn't easy, is it? I am so, so sorry you're dealing with this. I have never dealt with PUPPS before, so I have NO idea the itchiness and pain you're dealing with. I can only imagine. I am sending many :grouphug: and offering up many prayers for you. After having a m/c myself, I understand just wanting the baby to get here safely. I think you have your head in the right spot. I know enough about you to know you and your dh (along with your dr, of course) will make the right decision. You don't just jump into things lightly. You also are totally allowed to stay crunchy! ;)

I've only been induced once, and that was my last pg, BUT I was 41 weeks, so that baby was pretty baked! I was induced for a tad over the normal limit of amniotic fluid. It didn't lead to a c-section, as they were very cautious with turning up the amount of pitocin. They did it v-e-r-y slowly. Perhaps how fast they turn up the amount plays a role in whether or not a woman can potentially end up with a c-section?

I will be praying for you every day, JC. I am sorry I can't be of much more help, but maybe just knowing there are a lot of people praying for you can be of some comfort. :grouphug:

If you've already had seven kids and no sections, I would think an induction would be easy. If you can't do the induction for other reasons, then a c/section will be your only option. Usually people recover quickly. It probably won't be as quick as recovering from a vag birth, but most people are up and around in a couple of days.

I've only skimmed through this, but I wanted to suggest that maybe a steroid injection would help the PUPPPs? Since you can't take oral prednisone, some types of injectable steroids have fewer side effects than the pills do.

Personally, if I had to choose, I would try for an induction before I would elect a c-section. Not only because I believe a vaginal delivery is preferable for mom and baby, but also because an incision through sores and infected skin may not heal well.

:grouphug: and good luck!