Menu

Does anyone intentionally expose their dc to pop culture?

A thread on the curriculum board got me to thinking: does anyone else here make a point of intentionally exposing their child to pop culture?

As a child I had no clue about popular movies, sports, music and the like. Once I was a bit older I found it socially awkward and sometimes hard to relate to other kids because I had no clue what they were talking about.

With my ds being homeschooled I'm even more conscious that I don't want him to be so clueless. Not going to school is unusual enough, you know? So when in the car I roll my eyes and turn on the top 40 music station even though I'd rather tune into NPR. He watches his Justin Bieber videos on YouTube and we good-naturedly tease him about it. Both kids watch cartoons in the morning, even if I do find SpongeBob incredibly annoying (luckily they don't seem too keen on him either, lol). We roll with it as he goes from one character obsession to another: first Spiderman, then Indiana Jones, followed up with Star Wars and so on.

Am I alone in this or are there others who really make an effort to keep their kids "in the loop?"

I wouldn't say I forced it on them ;), we just lived in the world and they were exposed to things. I certainly never shielded them from much unless it was totally age-inappropriate. They're both pretty well-adjusted at this point and "fit in" with different types of people, so I guess it worked out okay. :)

Ha, yes, you're both right. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I don't make attempts to shield them from popular culture and perhaps slightly encourage it (within reason) when the kids show interest in such things. Foisting it upon them certainly hasn't been necessary. ;)

For the most part I can't say that I go out of my way to intentionally shield them from popular culture. They watch playhouse Disney, but also are fans of many PBS shows... (i.e. Wild Kratts are HUGE here right now). We have a Wii, they play games on the computer (mainly PBS and Disney again, but they also love LegoLand games). With that being said, they are five and so I try to limit how much of the day they have access to all of these. They get a 1/2 hour of playhouse disney in the a.m. and then no computer, t.v. or wii until after dinner. At that point they have 1 hour to do what they please. Then its books, bath and bed.

I do feel that they should have some memories of these things that are popular with their peers so that down the road they can have a point of reference when others discuss "the good ol' days". I've had plenty of laughs about the Brady Bunch, leg warmers, and swatch watches over the years and can see the positives in letting them be a part of the coversation in the future. Just my POV:001_smile:

Its never been an issue- even in their homeschooling circles they always had plenty of exposure.

I havent got int the way of it much though, although we have never watched commercial television. I will let them play their songs in the car- they will try and find ones that they think I like, and teach me the words :)

I think homeschooling did protect them from the worst of it- they have both commented to me how annoying it was last week that a new computer game (Pokemon?) out and that's all their friends could talk about all week- and not only didn't they feel left out- they just weren't interested and found it very immature. They are so *over* Pokemon. But they had their Pokemon phase.

It just happened naturally. It hasnt been something I have made an effort about. I was more interested in exposing them to classical music and books and beautiful concepts. The popular stuff just happened on its own. But we live in the city and they have lots of friends, both schooled and non schooled.

I don't on purpose but they do end up exposed to it. If nothing else because they see it at Wal*Mart :D.

Fortunately they think the majority of it is "stupid" so I don't have to worry about them being hooked on things I don't want to spend money on!

Yes, maybe not trashy teeny-bopper pop, but I intentionally expose them to popular music that I think is important to know .... like the Beatles, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan... I figure it's part of their cultural literacy, right? I also go out of my way to order movies on netflix that I think are part of our American life -- Star Wars, Wizard of Oz, ET, ,... It's not because I love those movies, it's because I think I want them to understand when someone is talking about those films. When they were little, I let them try each of the Disney movies for the same reason. It's not because they're necessarily good or educational, but I do want my kids to be able to not feel like an outsider on the basis of their lack of exposure to pop culture.

Ha, yes, you're both right. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I don't make attempts to shield them from popular culture and perhaps slightly encourage it (within reason) when the kids show interest in such things. Foisting it upon them certainly hasn't been necessary. ;)

This is what I'd consider our approach to be, as well.

I grew up an immigrant within immigrant circles. I didn't realize how little 'American' / pop culture I was ignorant of until I left to attend college. I was always the last one chosen for Trivial Pursuit teams :lol: and even now I still have to ask people to explain certain references to me.

Last week a stranger commented on my daughter's outfit, calling it very Punky Brewster. I didn't get it and shrugged. My girlfriend laughed and explained it to me. I googled Punky Brewster, read the wiki and found a Youtube video that helped some.

My kids like (crap) pop music despite years of me trying to influence their tastes to reflect my own (fabulous) preferences. Some songs are inappropriate, some artists are undesireable ... but so far we've just discussed those on a case-by-case WRT appropriateness and respect for others (like if you know I have problems with x-song, don't listen to it when I'm around or ask to play it in my car while I'm driving.)

I am probably very much in the minority, but not only do I not intentionally expose my children to pop culture, I intentionally shield them from it.

I do not want my children to fit in with pop culture.

:iagree: Me too. I see so much of pop culture as damaging to children and youth, that we go out of our way to shield them from it, until they're of an age to actually study the effects of it. They do see certain things, like at WalMart (the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus craze comes to mind), but they aren't exposed to it beyond seeing the t-shirts.

I am probably very much in the minority, but not only do I not intentionally expose my children to pop culture, I intentionally shield them from it.

We're similar here. I purposely try to toss all the ads that come in the mail because I've seen what it creates in my kids. The American Girl doll catalogs are the worst. They have the dolls and went through a phase of spending tons of their own money on the stuff until they realized what a racket it was. But the 'ooooohhhing' and 'ahhhhhhhing' and the "I wish I could have ___________," became too much.

The girls occasionally watch PBS and they do get to watch pre-recorded shows that dh and I are hooked on so they are exposed in that way. They also play sports and are involved with kids in other ways so they see enough. Beyond that, I don't see a need. I don't really want them entrenched in pop culture. I'd much rather see them trying to relate to *people* rather than the latest and greatest music and *stuff*.

Interesting question! And one that DH and I discuss frequently. A while ago, we heard a wonderful bit of teaching that relates closely to this issue so I thought IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d share my notes with you and then give my own opinion at the endĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

[by the way, they are notes and so they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t flow perfectlyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ but still some REALLY good stuff, if you are up for reading them.]

-----------------

Notes:

Too many Christian parents just want a bunch of rules. But we need to THINK! We canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t control our children through a bunch of rules; our hearts are rebellious, and rules merely generate a desire to break them!

More importantly, we arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t trying to get our children to conform to a bunch of rules, we are trying to teach them to love God! We are trying to help them internalize a godly standard, out of love for God. We need them to become self-governing, not governed by our rules.

It is important to recognize that children who are raised simply to conform to a bunch of rules are eager for the day when they will be out from under those rules and Ă¢â‚¬Å“freeĂ¢â‚¬ to do as they please.

On the other hand, there are some parents who intentionally expose their children (especially as they become teenagers) to Ă¢â‚¬Å“the worldĂ¢â‚¬ so that they are not overly naĂƒÂ¯ve. However, it is important when doing this, to not simply teach them, Ă¢â‚¬Å“See this is the world, and it is bad!Ă¢â‚¬ But neither do we want to teach them, Ă¢â‚¬Å“See, this is the world, and it isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t so bad!Ă¢â‚¬ So what do we teach them?

We must teach them to THINK and RESPOND to pop culture. Teach them how to identify what is being done and said, and who is being worshiped (in music, movies, etc.).

What is being communicated?

What is being celebrated?

What is being said, and IS IT TRUE?

If you prohibit something and then your children ask why, can you tell them? Is your answer simply that you looked up that movie on a Christian site and saw that it has ### curse words and ### sex scenes, and so, no, they canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t see it? What if instead you said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Sure, you can go. But IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m coming with you so we can talk about it afterwards.Ă¢â‚¬

Or better yet, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Sure, you can go. And the next day I want you to write a biblical worldview report about it, telling me who is the God in that movie? What is sin in that movie? What is man? What is salvation? What is the source of revelation?Ă¢â‚¬

But do your kids know HOW to evaluate it at that level? Is her review a simple bad word count or explanation of how she went to get popcorn during the bedroom scene?

And more importantly, do YOU know how to evaluate it at that level? If you don't, are you trying to learn how?

We do need rules, but not rules for no reason. Even if the rules can be defended, the issue is whether or not they are being defended, and whether they are being defended by appealing to the true Triune God.

This is not a beneficial conversation: Ă¢â‚¬Å“No you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t wear that.Ă¢â‚¬ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Why not?Ă¢â‚¬ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Because I said so.Ă¢â‚¬

Rather, establish a culture in your home in which every child who wants to do anything will have to give an account Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the burden should not be on the parents to explain why they canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do it, but rather on the child to explain how their desire to have it/do it/see it/wear it relates to their faith in Christ and how it relates to their prevailing faith outside the church and school. They need to understand that there are constant pressures on them to conform to an alien faith, and they need to be taught about this pressure to conform.

It isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a matter of teaching them this by rote and rules, but rather through a love relationship of loyalty between you and your child. They should be confident that you are always pursuing their good.

There will be a time when there are no rules. Have it start when they are still living in your house. If that statement sends a shiver down your spine, consider why... If they aren't ready for "no rules" when still at your house, how will they miraculously be ready when they leave your house? Just because they had a 21st birthday?

Instill an internal gyroscope as early as possible. Have them look at something, see the worldview expressed, and know what they think of it. What is being said, and is it true?

--------------

[end of notes]

Would love to hear thoughts on this, from anyone who actually read through it! DH and I thought it was some great stuff, and as classical educators, isn't it right in line with what we are trying to teach our children --> teaching them to THINK?

I just let it happen, while working some classical influences into the mix. I don't prohibit something unless I find it really inappropriate. So we have Mary Pope Osborne's version of the Odyssey followed by some Percy Jackson....Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland followed by reading some unabridged Lewis Carroll later that week...Phineas and Ferb followed by....hmmm, have to think about them...DH and I also love to introduce them to the old pop culture from when we were young, like the original Scooby Doo cartoons and Schoolhouse Rock....and classic rock. I want them to recognize both "classical" and "classic", a nice eclectic mix.

It is important to me that as they get older, they don't end up feeling like they are overly sheltered and very out of the loop when they are around other kids. DS1 is already very sensitive to this. There are plenty of really "cool" current culture things we can allow them to enjoy without getting into areas we really object to. Some things will not be encouraged but most are okay. It helps DS1 feel like he is not restricted. I don't go out of my way to find pop culture for them but I go with the flow when it shows up.

Lack of exposure doesn't have to equal a ton of rules and "no you can't". Unfortunately, in *some* families, it does equal that, however in our family it means discussing when age-appropriate and then they begin to make those decisions for themselves.

Interesting question! And one that DH and I discuss frequently. A while ago, we heard a wonderful bit of teaching that relates closely to this issue so I thought IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d share my notes with you and then give my own opinion at the endĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

[by the way, they are notes and so they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t flow perfectlyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ but still some REALLY good stuff, if you are up for reading them.]

-----------------

Notes:

Too many Christian parents just want a bunch of rules. But we need to THINK! We canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t control our children through a bunch of rules; our hearts are rebellious, and rules merely generate a desire to break them!

More importantly, we arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t trying to get our children to conform to a bunch of rules, we are trying to teach them to love God! We are trying to help them internalize a godly standard, out of love for God. We need them to become self-governing, not governed by our rules.

It is important to recognize that children who are raised simply to conform to a bunch of rules are eager for the day when they will be out from under those rules and Ă¢â‚¬Å“freeĂ¢â‚¬ to do as they please.

On the other hand, there are some parents who intentionally expose their children (especially as they become teenagers) to Ă¢â‚¬Å“the worldĂ¢â‚¬ so that they are not overly naĂƒÂ¯ve. However, it is important when doing this, to not simply teach them, Ă¢â‚¬Å“See this is the world, and it is bad!Ă¢â‚¬ But neither do we want to teach them, Ă¢â‚¬Å“See, this is the world, and it isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t so bad!Ă¢â‚¬ So what do we teach them?

We must teach them to THINK and RESPOND to pop culture. Teach them how to identify what is being done and said, and who is being worshiped (in music, movies, etc.).

What is being communicated?

What is being celebrated?

What is being said, and IS IT TRUE?

If you prohibit something and then your children ask why, can you tell them? Is your answer simply that you looked up that movie on a Christian site and saw that it has ### curse words and ### sex scenes, and so, no, they canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t see it? What if instead you said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Sure, you can go. But IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m coming with you so we can talk about it afterwards.Ă¢â‚¬

Or better yet, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Sure, you can go. And the next day I want you to write a biblical worldview report about it, telling me who is the God in that movie? What is sin in that movie? What is man? What is salvation? What is the source of revelation?Ă¢â‚¬

But do your kids know HOW to evaluate it at that level? Is her review a simple bad word count or explanation of how she went to get popcorn during the bedroom scene?

And more importantly, do YOU know how to evaluate it at that level? If you don't, are you trying to learn how?

We do need rules, but not rules for no reason. Even if the rules can be defended, the issue is whether or not they are being defended, and whether they are being defended by appealing to the true Triune God.

This is not a beneficial conversation: Ă¢â‚¬Å“No you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t wear that.Ă¢â‚¬ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Why not?Ă¢â‚¬ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Because I said so.Ă¢â‚¬

Rather, establish a culture in your home in which every child who wants to do anything will have to give an account Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the burden should not be on the parents to explain why they canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do it, but rather on the child to explain how their desire to have it/do it/see it/wear it relates to their faith in Christ and how it relates to their prevailing faith outside the church and school. They need to understand that there are constant pressures on them to conform to an alien faith, and they need to be taught about this pressure to conform.

It isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a matter of teaching them this by rote and rules, but rather through a love relationship of loyalty between you and your child. They should be confident that you are always pursuing their good.

There will be a time when there are no rules. Have it start when they are still living in your house. If that statement sends a shiver down your spine, consider why... If they aren't ready for "no rules" when still at your house, how will they miraculously be ready when they leave your house? Just because they had a 21st birthday?

Instill an internal gyroscope as early as possible. Have them look at something, see the worldview expressed, and know what they think of it. What is being said, and is it true?

--------------

[end of notes]

Would love to hear thoughts on this, from anyone who actually read through it! DH and I thought it was some great stuff, and as classical educators, isn't it right in line with what we are trying to teach our children --> teaching them to THINK?

I don't mind pop-culture. Where I differ with "what's out there" is what the suggested appropriate age is. I'm easily shielding in a 2-5 yr age range at this point. I think we've completely lost it in terms of aging our children out of childhood too quickly.

:iagree: Yep, this is us too. I shield them as much as possible. It is not my desire that my children "fit in" by knowing the likes of pop culture.

I think we've completely lost it in terms of aging our children out of childhood too quickly.

:iagree: YUP! I can't remember a time as a child where I actually felt like a child. There IS a time to protect and a time to let go. I love seeing my 12yo being a pre-teen with all that it entails but I also love that she can *play* and enjoy her youth. My sister commented recently about what she and I were into at dd's age and it certainly wasn't child-like. :001_huh:

Guest momk2000

We do not purposely expose our children to pop culture, but they are exposed to it because it is a part of the world in which they live. We monitor what they are exposed to (as much as we can), to make sure everything is age appropriate, and a positive influence.

We teach the kids how to make their own decisions about what they watch/listen to. So when they are at a friends house, and as they get older and have more independence, they will hopefully make wise choices for themselves.

I made the choice to have a minimum of censorship (especially compared to the homeschooling subculture). What I *do*, however is have intentional, informed, discussion-rich exposure. We've talked about fast food tie ins to movies. We've talked about the Disney movie/channel "machine". We've talked about celebrity headlines. We've talked about books (Harry Potter, etc). We've watched, discussed, enjoyed and dismissed a lot of stuff.

The key for me is that it has been intentional. I don't hold as a value eshewing pop culture. I hold as a value intentional parenting.

DH and I don't have much interest in pop culture and we are perfectly functioning adults. DH is a rock musician who has been in bands off and on for over twenty some years, so good music is a part of our lives but crap pop is not. We play Wow, so we are familiar with the gamer culture and so are the kids. We do not watch network tv, but we do browse through hulu and netflix and watch entire series of shows at a time if we are interested. We do watch some movies if they look interesting.

The kids have watched some popular teen oriented shows, but we do talk about how the dialogue and whatnot are not acceptable in our house no matter how trendy it is to insult people and make snarky remarks. Most teen shows seem to have plots that involve really stupid adults and lots of deception by the teen characters, and we talk about that and that we don't approve of that, or of the focus on the interest in the opposite sex. Even our seven year old is okay with telling her friends that 'Dad doesn't like me to watch that show' and why.

We don't buy trendy toys or clothing or encourage interest in pop culture. I was personally not interested in pop culture as a kid growing up and attending public schools, and a simple 'I'm not so much into that' was acceptable then and probably still is now. My friends were perfectly happy to explain to me why such and such was sooooo cool and didn't mind if I didn't get 'into' whatever it was with them.

Why would anyone want to be friends with someone who would tease or ridicule them for not watching the same show or listening to the same music? Seems like friends like that aren't friends at all.

Umm, nope. Not on purpose. We don't watch broadcast tv. I avoid commercials. My kids don't play video games (although we do have game systems). In my truck right now is this music. I mix cultural studies in where they fit - my girls have learned about jazz, blues, the beginning of rock and roll and can do the chicken dance and the Cotton-Eyed Joe along with a pretty good waltz. They know to carry a towel and that 42 is the answer. What else should they know besides "Don't Panic"? So Say We All.

We really skip it pretty much altogether. No tv, we only listen to Jewish and classical music, we don't listen to the radio very often, no computer games, we get our news online, and only watch a few pre-screened movies (not much to choose from, actually!!). Our religious community is pretty much the same way - pop culture just doesn't play a role in our lives, and we really don't interact with it.

Why would anyone want to be friends with someone who would tease or ridicule them for not watching the same show or listening to the same music? Seems like friends like that aren't friends at all.

My nephews are in middle school (public) and this is very much a 'thing' among their peers. It's fascinating, like watching animals in the wild preying on the weak or something. It's also a bit sad .. and telling of our local values. Heck, the parents aren't much better around our town.

I've repeatedly asked them your exact sentiment. They say it's not even about friends; they KNOW they're not friends, they simply want acceptance. Acknowledgment. Recognition. Status. Friendship is icing on the cake.

I'm so fascinated by the sociology of youth culture :D I pick the brains of my nephews and their friends all of the time. I tell them that I'm always suspicious of people who want/need/feel I should be doing everything the same that they are. I'll decide for myself what I like and don't like, thankyouverymuch! At the end of the day I still have to go home and look myself in the mirror, you know?! Same goes for them, I remind them.

They get lovingly annoyed but can recite alongside me my favorite Edgar Guest poem (Myself), himself a bit of a pop tart in his day fittingly enough!

I don't mind pop-culture. Where I differ with "what's out there" is what the suggested appropriate age is. I'm easily shielding in a 2-5 yr age range at this point. I think we've completely lost it in terms of aging our children out of childhood too quickly

:iagree:

I think of things like Strawberry Shortcake, Smurf, My Little Pony, and Barbie that were staples through elementary school when I was growing. Those toys are back but seem to be geared more to 6 and under. The pre-tweens of 7-10ish are left looking towards older things like I-Carly or Hannah Montanna. There isn't much, commercially, between Dora The Explorer and Hannah ......... and there SHOULD be.

We've actually started recording retro shows like Flinstones and Scooby Doo.

Edited by snickelfritz

My children have some exposure but it doesn't dominate our lives. They know who Justin Bieber is but don't particularly care. We do not have cable any longer so sometimes they get things behind other kids but they are still very much little girls. They do however live in a world where they interact with children other than homeschoolers so they do know about things enough to carry conversations. Their current music fascination is the Beatles though and not all of their friends know the Beatles.

This is our general approach. They do get to play on the computer, but the tv that they watch is recorded first and commericals are fast-forwarded through (they think they're boring anyway). The pop culture will sneak in one way or another, they don't need my help. :glare:

As a formerly home-schooled kid, yes, to some extent, I do. Obviously I try not to expose my kids to anything I consider damaging to their growing psyches. But to some extent, yes. And when ds jokingly told me that I should renew my subscription to Entertainment Weekly (I'd been given a year) because that was how he kept up with pop culture and knew what the other Boy Scouts were talking about, I agreed that he had a point. ;)

I *was* a very sheltered home schooled kiddo. And it *was* tough for me to relate to peers in certain ways. I think it's something that a lot of home schoolers take for granted -- either that it won't be an issue or that *all* pop culture is evil and should be avoided. But that really *can* isolate kids, sometimes unnecessarily.

So I try to make sure they have access to aspects of pop culture that I consider innocuous (given their ages and personalities -- it would vary from child to child). There are some things I just don't consider appropriate, so if they're out-of-the-loop in those ways, well, they'll live. ;) Plenty of pop culture things they look down on. So much the better. :) But other things we can watch or listen to or read about and discuss together. Some things give them touchstones with their friends. Sometimes we *do* watch YouTube videos that I consider "cultural literacy". ;)

My daughter is only 5, so in a lot of ways these are easy choices at her age. I think it will be more difficult when she reaches the marketing category known as "tween" and starts being encouraged to ape adolescent interests and pseudo-sophistication at the ripe old age of 8.

I was hugely out of step with my peers as a child because I didn't know how to talk the way they did. I spent most of my free time reading classic children's books and very old-fashioned series books like the Bobbsey Twins. I didn't really have a late-20th-century vocabulary.

So when my five-year-old told me, "It's high time I started being like other children and calling my bedroom the nursery!", I made a mental note to stop the classic British read-alouds for a while and switch to more modern children's fiction.

My kids are exposed to most pop culture through "natural" means. The great thing about it is that I'm there for 99% of it, and have the time to tell them if I find something inappropriate, and why (I'm not really into "Because I said so.") And, generally speaking, they accept that as truth and law. :)

I wanted to add that AGE is also a big factor in answering this question. As pre-schoolers and early elementary age kids, mine were pretty sheltered. Approaching junior high, I try to ask myself, "Does my child really need to be protected from ____?" Sometimes the answer is yes. Sometimes it's no. Sometimes the answer is just that we need to be able to discuss it openly.

In a lot of ways, I'm pretty conservative. But I want to make sure that, when it's not a moral issue for me, my kids can at least converse with others.

As a formerly home-schooled kid, yes, to some extent, I do. Obviously I try not to expose my kids to anything I consider damaging to their growing psyches. But to some extent, yes. And when ds jokingly told me that I should renew my subscription to Entertainment Weekly (I'd been given a year) because that was how he kept up with pop culture and knew what the other Boy Scouts were talking about, I agreed that he had a point. ;)

I *was* a very sheltered home schooled kiddo. And it *was* tough for me to relate to peers in certain ways. I think it's something that a lot of home schoolers take for granted -- either that it won't be an issue or that *all* pop culture is evil and should be avoided. But that really *can* isolate kids, sometimes unnecessarily.

So I try to make sure they have access to aspects of pop culture that I consider innocuous (given their ages and personalities -- it would vary from child to child). There are some things I just don't consider appropriate, so if they're out-of-the-loop in those ways, well, they'll live. ;) Plenty of pop culture things they look down on. So much the better. :) But other things we can watch or listen to or read about and discuss together. Some things give them touchstones with their friends. Sometimes we *do* watch YouTube videos that I consider "cultural literacy". ;)

Umm, nope. Not on purpose. We don't watch broadcast tv. I avoid commercials. My kids don't play video games (although we do have game systems). In my truck right now is this music. I mix cultural studies in where they fit - my girls have learned about jazz, blues, the beginning of rock and roll and can do the chicken dance and the Cotton-Eyed Joe along with a pretty good waltz. They know to carry a towel and that 42 is the answer. What else should they know besides "Don't Panic"? So Say We All.

Love this post!:D:lol: :001_wub:

I wouldn't say I forced it on them ;), we just lived in the world and they were exposed to things. I certainly never shielded them from much unless it was totally age-inappropriate. They're both pretty well-adjusted at this point and "fit in" with different types of people, so I guess it worked out okay. :)

Same here.

A thread on the curriculum board got me to thinking: does anyone else here make a point of intentionally exposing their child to pop culture?

As a child I had no clue about popular movies, sports, music and the like. Once I was a bit older I found it socially awkward and sometimes hard to relate to other kids because I had no clue what they were talking about.

With my ds being homeschooled I'm even more conscious that I don't want him to be so clueless. Not going to school is unusual enough, you know? So when in the car I roll my eyes and turn on the top 40 music station even though I'd rather tune into NPR. He watches his Justin Bieber videos on YouTube and we good-naturedly tease him about it. Both kids watch cartoons in the morning, even if I do find SpongeBob incredibly annoying (luckily they don't seem too keen on him either, lol). We roll with it as he goes from one character obsession to another: first Spiderman, then Indiana Jones, followed up with Star Wars and so on.

Am I alone in this or are there others who really make an effort to keep their kids "in the loop?"

If we enjoy it, we're in the loop. If we don't, we ignore it. I don't see any reason to expose them just to be hip. We are into many popular movies. We are not into popular music.at.all. I think they are getting a tiny bit of exposure to the music through the movies but currently all of mine think it is perfectly cool and normal to pop the Westminster Catechism (set to music) in the CD player and sing at the top of their lungs. Now that I think about it my dd's are learning some pop music from a piano book: Happy Days, Titanic theme, stuff like that. They have no idea where it comes from but the duets are fun. :D

Yes, to some extent.

I have allowed my children to watch certain TV shows and play certain video games because "everyone else" does. I have done this not because they are bugging me to death, but because I think it's important for my children, who have so little in common with their peers, to at least have that in common with them.