Menu

Earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Hawaii and west coast US on alert

I think Mrs. Mungo is out of Hawaii now, but definitely thinking of and praying for all those affected by the quakes and tsunami. I was wondering if Malaysia is in danger from the tsunamis? I would imagine so, although I've not heard it mentioned on the news coverage. I've heard mention of Indonesia, which is right near Malaysia.

Praying...

I just read this and thought of Mrs. Mungo - the tsunmai was expected to hit Hawaii at 2:59 in the morning their time.

I've heard from Jamee who said the earthquake was long and that they've had aftershocks, but that they have power back. Mommy2bees lives in the same neighborhood in Japan.

I've heard from Battlemaiden . They are well at the moment. Their neighborhood is outside the tsunami zone.

So far, the folks I've heard from in Yokosuka (near Yokohama, Kanagawa prefecture) have said that the main shock was very long (described as 8 Hail Marys and an Our Father by one friend). Kanto Plain trains were out of service, but may be starting to come back online.

One friend said that she could see a huge fire on the far side of Tokyo Bay.

For info on aftershocks and effect from Japan Meteorological Agency Link for English in upper right corner.

I just read this and thought of Mrs. Mungo - the tsunmai was expected to hit Hawaii at 2:59 in the morning their time.

Was thinking the same thing when I read that this morning.

MamaT, I am so glad your son checked in that must be a huge relief for you.

They are saying it will hit Hawaii at 7:59 ET so I will be praying for all that are there.

Thanks for checking in for us Sebastian! Yes, we are well and back online. Considering all the book shelves here and all the shaking I'm surprised that we had only two books fall. The power came back on just after 8 so that was nice. That was the most nerve wracking after, wondering how long we'd be without power.

I still can't believe that the quake was as big as it was and yes, it went on for what seemed like minutes. We are still having after shocks, but they are lighter now and almost unnoticible. It took some of our friends four hours to get home on a drive that usually takes less than one since they closed the highway here.

Hope everyone else is well and ok. Keep safe the rest of you on the west coasts.

Please keep praying...our best friend's son is stationed in Japan. (NAVY) They have not heard from him yet. :crying:

Phone service has been out in a lot of places including cell service. Now that the power seems to be coming back, I'm sure you'll hear something soon. Internet is still out in places as well. Seems iPhone has been a way a lot of people have getting in touch. Also, it happened in the middle of the night US time, so he may be waiting to call. Hope you get news soon.

Please keep praying...our best friend's son is stationed in Japan. (NAVY) They have not heard from him yet. :crying:

There are three main bases to be stationed at in Japan, Misawa, Yokosuka and Sasebo.

Our friends in Yokosuka (south of Yokohama and Tokyo) are reporting in ok.

Sasebo is farther south. CNN was reporting that some of the amphibious ships in the area were loading up relief supplies to take up to the areas of Japan that were hardest hit.

Misawa personel are all accounted for.

More info from Stars and Stripes on the effects to military areas and what efforts military units will be taking to assist in damaged civilian areas.

One reason that he might not have checked in is if he is on a ship that is actually underway and not in Japan. Several of the Yokosuka based ships were not in port.

I think Mrs. Mungo is out of Hawaii now, but definitely thinking of and praying for all those affected by the quakes and tsunami. I was wondering if Malaysia is in danger from the tsunamis? I would imagine so, although I've not heard it mentioned on the news coverage. I've heard mention of Indonesia, which is right near Malaysia.

Praying...

We are fine here in Malaysia. We are on the Indian Ocean and this is in the Pacific but we are praying for our missionary friends in Indonesia.

This is the site we used to go to when we had quakes in Japan. Lots of good info about how earthquakes work. USGS

In case anyone else is doing earthquake and tsunami school today for science. (Good thing this was pegged as a fieldtrip day anyway.)

This is the site we used to go to when we had quakes in Japan. Lots of good info about how earthquakes work. USGS

In case anyone else is doing earthquake and tsunami school today for science. (Good thing this was pegged as a fieldtrip day anyway.)

We toured the tsunami warning center after the last tsunami that hit Oahu. It was a little one, but still dangerous.

Reporting in from Hawaii... Had some minor surges so far but that's about it..they say this could go on for several more hours...so since It's almost 5am here and I have been up all night watching the news.. I am now off to take a cat nap before the kids get up.

My brother was in Tokyo at the time of the earthquake. He moved to the moat area of the palace, where he sat for some time doing the final editing of the paper his wife was to have presented in Germany today (which she has already done, to my knowledge.) He then walked about 2 hours (he mentioned that he was glad to have not been wearing high heels;)) to catch a bus, since the trains were shut down. The bus trip took longer than walking would have:D since so many people were wanting on the bus. His mother-in-law was able to pick up his 2yo and 5mo at the daycare, and they did have electricity but not gas, so she was able to warm the baby's bottle in the microwave.

It is supposed to get below freezing tonight, and many, many of the 10 million in Tokyo are having trouble getting home.

Our dd20 is in college in Hilo, Hawaii. I got an email from her that she and her friends were going inland to another friends house that was higher up a mountain at 2am. The phone lines have been crowded, but we did get a brief phone call with her when I read the email at 7am (our time) and they were there. I have not heard from her since, but am thankful the waves do not seem as bad as they originally thought.

We just bought her plane ticket to come home at the end of June. I cannot wait! She is transferring to another school closer to home. I need my kids within driving distance at times like this. ;)

I can't bear to go to any of the video.

Don't. It's horrifying, especially the tsunami footage. Our exchange student wanted to watch a little last night. I watched with her so she wouldn't have to watch alone and dreamed it all night long.

Our current Japanese student's family is safe, but we are praying for our former exchange students, especially the ones from Tokyo. Thank you to those posting safe areas. The student who lived with us for a whole year is from Yokohama, and we've been worried about her. It's a relief to know that she is probably all right.

Our Korean student attends a maritime university, and she is very worried about her boyfriend. He is on a ship on the ocean somewhere in that area, but she's not sure where. She may not hear from him for a week or so to find out if he is safe.

Thank goodness for Facebook. I do know my friends in Hawaii are safe (and helping with evacuees...so typical of them) and that my mother's home on the Oregon Coast is not in an evacuation area.

Cat

We have a really good friend who just came back from Japan a month ago after living there for 2 years with her baby and husband. The city they lived in is listed as completely destroyed and she hasn't been able to hear from anyone. She is feeling really blessed that her family came back when they did, but she's worried about those she knew there. Please keep her in her prayers.