Menu

Cremation

I recently read that some people (a particular group of Christians) believe that a person who is cremated has given up all hope for salvation. The idea is that the body has to be basically intact in order to be raised.

Help me not smack my head against the wall. If God made us from dirt, what difference are ashes? And a dead guy hardly has any say over what will be done to his body, so unless it was in his will, why should the manner in which he is laid to rest be something *he* is punished for?

This position seems unjust in a thousand ways. What about the Greeks & their funeral pyres: if no one told them that God is unable to restore bodies from ashes, why should they be without hope? What about people who died in fires, in war, etc.?

Perhaps I should not even question it, but simply smile politely & back away. I'll take that answer, too. ;)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with the politely smile and go about your business group. Really, you can't argue someone out of their religious POV. I'm sure this group of Christians has their final wishes in order and the money set by to bury them with full bodies. Or their church does. As long as they aren't asking you for money to put them in the ground it really isn't worth getting excited over.

May I interrupt your very serious thread to share something that made me laugh out loud during a very difficult time?

My mom passed away late in January. She had chosen to be cremated and made all of the arrangements long before she died.

A couple of weeks after her death my younger son, Hunter, and I were visiting my Dad.

Hunter was standing by the desk when he noticed a simple white bag that contained a tall, narrow, rectangular box that was labeled with my mom's name and some other information.

His eyes widened and he asked, "Is that...Nana?"

I told him it was.

He just started at the package for a bit before nodding his head and adding, "Well, she's thin. That would make her happy."

I'm with the politely smile and go about your business group. Really, you can't argue someone out of their religious POV. I'm sure this group of Christians has their final wishes in order and the money set by to bury them with full bodies. Or their church does. As long as they aren't asking you for money to put them in the ground it really isn't worth getting excited over.

Oh, I was thinking about visiting, reading about the church, etc. If I'm not one of them, it doesn't bother me as much. I still don't understand, but it's not a big deal.

I guess...I'm wondering if I could have misunderstood? I had a pretty emotional response to it, so maybe...?

It's EO.

Aubrey, that's just nuts. I don't know what else to say. Being burnt to a crisp is not always something one has control over - how could that affect salvation? Besides, salvation is based on what Christ did on your behalf, not on anything you did or did not do. Must you have a response? Are these friends of yours?

Aubrey, that's just nuts. I don't know what else to say. Being burnt to a crisp is not always something one has control over - how could that affect salvation? Besides, salvation is based on what Christ did on your behalf, not on anything you did or did not do. Must you have a response? Are these friends of yours?

I don't have to have a response. I believe what you said. But I might want to be one of them, & I had my dad cremated.

I don't believe that's a problem, so if I've understood their position correctly, I guess I don't want to be one of them, do I? :001_smile:

I would inquire about what version of the Bible they use and what verses they are using for their understanding of that. Then thank them and go research it and see if you can understand their POV better and also help you to further your POV and then possibly dialogue more about it with them if there be any reason to.

I guess it depends on what you believe happens with a person's soul when they die. If you believe that their soul immediately is gone, then it's hard to believe that what is done with the body matters.

It is good you are preparing to make an informed decision.

May I interrupt your very serious thread to share something that made me laugh out loud during a very difficult time?

My mom passed away late in January. She had chosen to be cremated and made all of the arrangements long before she died.

A couple of weeks after her death my younger son, Hunter, and I were visiting my Dad.

Hunter was standing by the desk when he noticed a simple white bag that contained a tall, narrow, rectangular box that was labeled with my mom's name and some other information.

I told him it was.

He just started at the package for a bit before nodding his head and adding, "Well, she's thin. That would make her happy."

:lol::lol::lol:

About the only thing I can think of is regarding people who chose cremation to "spite" God thinking that if there body is burned/scattered there is no way they can be resurrected and stand judgement. Obviously that doesn't make sense since God can reclaim every single molecule no matter where/what was done to the body but I have heard of people trying it nonetheless.

So while I don't know of any church groups that teach that cremation is bad, I guess if they think all people who are cremated are trying to escape God then I could see why they would teach that. But obviously everyone who is cremated isn't trying to escape God, so their teaching doesn't make any more sense than the person who is cremated trying to escape God.

If you were to 'become one of them' then I would avoid this topic. I wouldn't argue it with them at all. It's their beliefs, once you join them either agree or keep quiet (imo).

If you do feel that this is something you couldn't silently avoid, then I would rethink 'becoming one of them.'

I recently read that some people (a particular group of Christians) believe that a person who is cremated has given up all hope for salvation. The idea is that the body has to be basically intact in order to be raised.

So martyrs burned at the stake are outta luck? As are people who've been dead for thousand of years as I'm pretty sure most of them are probably ashes at this point. What about people who die in plane crashes or shuttle explosions?

For us it's discouraged but allowed. :) It's mostly based on the family's wishes anyway--I mean, the person's dead. They don't have a say anymore & if the family wants to cremate, meh, they can. It's all going to turn into the same stuff eventually, right? I think it's more about respect for the body but I'm totally guessing there. Dust to dust, right?

What does that group think about donating organs, if you know? I think it would make God very happy that I tried to help someone else with my body in death (I'm registered as a donor) but it sounds like that might not fly with the group you mention?

Oh, I was thinking about visiting, reading about the church, etc. If I'm not one of them, it doesn't bother me as much. I still don't understand, but it's not a big deal.

I guess...I'm wondering if I could have misunderstood? I had a pretty emotional response to it, so maybe...?

It's EO.

Aubrey, I'm late for class but wanted to pop in quickly and say that it's definitely true that in Orthodoxy we do not believe cremation is the way God would have us treat our bodies even after death. But the whole idea that "someone is dam*ned to hell forever if they do so" (paraphrasing) is an unOrthodox sentiment as well. I will write more later, and hope that other EO will pop in while I'm gone.

The historic Church (RC, EO, Anglican, Episcopal, Lutheran) affirms the Ecumenical Creeds, which in turn affirm belief in the resurrection of the body.

If cremation is done to proclaim opposition to the belief in the resurrection of the body, then it's inconsistent with the church's creedal beliefs, a very serious departure from orthodox Christianity.

Of course, the resurrection of the body does not depend on the body remaining intact, which it clearly does not do.

Worse, if cremation is done to proclaim a lack of belief in resurrection of any kind at all, then it's actively defiant of all Christian thought. In that case, salvation would be in serious question. Maybe that is the scenario that drives what you have heard?

If cremation is done for preference reasons, however, I don't see a problem with it, and it is not prohibited in the Lutheran church. However, I would not personally do it--it's not customary in our church (LCMS Lutheran), and I like having an actual, public funeral with an actual body--I think that that is the best choice pretty much all the time. The immediacy of it is important to me, both from a religious and practical standpoint. But it's not required by our church, and in fact other customs are coming into our church--particularly memorial services a considerable time (maybe even a month or more) after the actual burial or cremation.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Aubrey, I'm late for class but wanted to pop in quickly and say that it's definitely true that in Orthodoxy we do not believe cremation is the way God would have us treat our bodies even after death. But the whole idea that "someone is dam*ned to hell forever if they do so" (paraphrasing) is an unOrthodox sentiment as well. I will write more later, and hope that other EO will pop in while I'm gone.

This makes much more sense - respect for the body but not condemned if reduced to ashes either. Thanks for explaining.

First, there is no Biblical basis that cremation is wrong, it's just not something practiced by the Ancient Jews, and that continues today, even with Muslims. If I remember correctly (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), cremation was associated more with criminals and pagan burial rites. It had a negative connotation to the Jewish culture of the time, from which much of the Christian practices grew out of.

While I would never say "I have a hard time limiting God that way" because God's Will is perfect, though humans are flawed and his ways are not always my understanding, I have a hard time limiting God that way LOL If He is unable to resurrect a cremated body..which is no different than a completely decomposed body that has been absorbed by the earth into something completely different, Salvation doesn't mean a lot.

ETA - thanks for clarifying that, milovaný

Chrissy ((HUGS)) We also had my mom cremated and then buried her under a newly planted tree that was her favorite- she ooh'd and aah'd over them each spring. What a sweet thing for your son to have said, because it means he listened to her :)

Edited by DarcyB

The RC church does not prohibit cremation but they do believe that the ashes need to remain together i.e., no scattering. My FIL was cremated and had the same Catholic funeral as any other with his ashes in the church etc. (although I believe this varies some depending on the diocese). I definitely want to be cremated. Nothing creeps me out more than open casket funerals visitations. I LOATHE them but that is another story.

If cremation is done for preference reasons, however, I don't see a problem with it, and it is not prohibited in the Lutheran church. However, I would not personally do it--it's not customary in our church (LCMS Lutheran), and I like having an actual, public funeral with an actual body--I think that that is the best choice pretty much all the time. The immediacy of it is important to me, both from a religious and practical standpoint. But it's not required by our church, and in fact other customs are coming into our church--particularly memorial services a considerable time (maybe even a month or more) after the actual burial or cremation.

The Catholic Church doesn't prohibit it, as long as it isn't done for any ungodly rite, KWIM? It is recommended that cremation take place after the funeral mass, and that the ashes are...interred? is that what you do with ashes???...at a Catholic cemetery.

I told him it was.

:) and :grouphug:

Help me not smack my head against the wall. If God made us from dirt, what difference are ashes? And a dead guy hardly has any say over what will be done to his body, so unless it was in his will, why should the manner in which he is laid to rest be something *he* is punished for?

This position seems unjust in a thousand ways. What about the Greeks & their funeral pyres: if no one told them that God is unable to restore bodies from ashes, why should they be without hope? What about people who died in fires, in war, etc.?

Perhaps I should not even question it, but simply smile politely & back away. I'll take that answer, too. ;)

What about someone who dies in a fire or a plane crash, etc. ?

Lol. God bless him. that would have cracked me up, too.

I'm donating my organs and getting cremated. God can put me back together if he needs to, but I'd really rather have a glorified body. :tongue_smilie: One without anything that sags.

The RC church does not prohibit cremation but they do believe that the ashes need to remain together i.e., no scattering. My FIL was cremated and had the same Catholic funeral as any other with his ashes in the church etc. (although I believe this varies some depending on the diocese). I definitely want to be cremated. Nothing creeps me out more than open casket funerals visitations. I LOATHE them but that is another story.

:iagree: Neither of my parent's funerals/viewings were with an open casket.

Just wanted to add that the Roman Catholic church used to not condone cremation but changed that view. Many older folks, my folks being two of them, were not cremated since they believed that original teaching. And, they did so because they were taught that cremation was disrespectful of the body.

You have the option for either now though. Wonder if EO will change someday too???

Mary

But...why?

Here is an article I found interesting when I read it last year. Comes from the take that the Christian opposition to cremation has nothing to do with God's inability to resurrect a cremated body, but has more to do with the pros FOR burial: tradition, Christian witness of the example of the resurrection, etc. I've always thought I would be cremated, it's more of the tradition in my family, but my husband is more for burial. This article and the links I followed gave me something to think about. I am not sure where I stand exactly. After my FIL's funeral last year, the opportunity to share the gospel at his funeral (his wishes) and the respect that was shown by his community and the Navy (flag draped casket) and bugle, my thoughts are more toward burial. I guess as I get older I am more drawn to the witness tradition and respect aspect of it.

Let me give a disclaimer, even though these are my view points, I do not condemn those who have choosen to cremate (and I am pretty sure dam*ation for cremation is not an EO stance, will cite my sources later if anyone wants them). Many in my family have and intend to cremate. I am presenting these statements so that another POV can be represented.

In Gen. 1:26-27, we are told that we are made in the image and likeness of God, (the whole human being). That our bodies were never intended for death is supported by Rom. 5:12 which says death came through sin. Because we were made in the image of God, we should treat the body with the utmost respect and that means even after death (I Cor. 6:19) After all, we are just sleeping (I Cor. 15: 20, 42-44). The fact that the body decays is just a natural process and by-product of death. That death was never intended should further emphasize the importance of respecting the body. Consider also, that Jesus was buried. He certainly could have told His disciples to cremate Him, and think of the magnitude of that kind of miracle. Not only back from the dead, but back from ashes!! But He chose burial; there must be something significant about it.

It seems logical to me that the issue is not so much dam*ation if you do cremate or eternal life without a body, but it is for the benefit of those still living. Having your body buried can be one last final witness that you give to those who are living. In essence you are proclaiming (or being a witness) that you believe the Bible: we were made in the image of God, our bodies should not be desecrated, our body was not intended for death, some day the dead in Christ shall rise, believers are just sleeping, and over-all as a follower of Christ you wanted to be like Him while living, in burial, and in resurrection from the dead.

As far as an ecological issue..... please check out this web site. http://www.glendalenaturepreserve.org/ There is a green way to be buried. A body decomposes much quicker if not embalmed, and untreated wood also decomposes quickly without harm to the environment. Plus it is much less expensive.

Edited by lmkzbcb

:iagree:

Also, for further clarification there are exceptions made.

From the Orthodox Church in America question and answer website:

The Church does not condemn cremation outright, provided that there is a valid reason for it.

In Japan, for example, the state requires cremation, and this extends to Orthodox Christians. There have also been exceptions made in cases of epidemics or fear of disease, for various reasons. There can also be reasonable cause for permitting cremation, but in general the image of the body being buried as it awaits the resurrection is more in keeping with the image given to us by Christ, Who likens burial with the planting of seed which later blossoms into a living plant.

http://www.oca.org/QA.asp?ID=175&SID=3

Another exception would be those who had no control over their death(murder, fire etc.).

Here is an article I found interesting when I read it last year. Comes from the take that the Christian opposition to cremation has nothing to do with God's inability to resurrect a cremated body, but has more to do with the pros FOR burial: tradition, Christian witness of the example of the resurrection, etc. I've always thought I would be cremated, it's more of the tradition in my family, but my husband is more for burial. This article and the links I followed gave me something to think about. I am not sure where I stand exactly. After my FIL's funeral last year, the opportunity to share the gospel at his funeral (his wishes) and the respect that was shown by his community and the Navy (flag draped casket) and bugle, my thoughts are more toward burial. I guess as I get older I am more drawn to the witness tradition and respect aspect of it.

I don't understand why one would forego a funeral service in conjunction with cremation.

I do see how a military funeral could be different. I'm not at all against burial, but I don't see a problem w/ cremation, either. I see it as a personal choice dictated by personal circumstances.

Then why does the LDS church pay for cremation instead of burial if the deceased's family can't afford either?

I'm confused by this. :confused: The Church may help a family out financially in paying for a funeral if they're strapped for funds, but I've never heard of them specifying to the family how the deceased body is to be cared for. This is what the Church Handbook of Instructions (given to Bishops to help them in their duties) says about Cremation (emphasis added by me):

Cremation

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. The family of the deceased must decide whether the body should be cremated, taking into account any laws governing burial or cremation. In some countries, the law requires cremation.

I don't understand why one would forego a funeral service in conjunction with cremation.

I do see how a military funeral could be different. I'm not at all against burial, but I don't see a problem w/ cremation, either. I see it as a personal choice dictated by personal circumstances.

It seems that both LDS and EO are trying to sway their members' opinions with some (imo) pretty pertinent Biblical examples. Neither group seems to believe that one MUST be buried, but that it's preferable. Sort of like saying, we prefer you don't paint your hair, because (insert Biblical reference here), all the same it's ultimately up to you.

But...why?

This is from Catholic Update. After is a link to a whole article about the Catholic perspective on cremation.

The Catholic Church's practice of burial goes back to early Christian days. A strong belief in the body as the temple of the Holy Spirit, as well as the belief in the resurrection of the body, support the Church's continued reverence for the human body.

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac1097.asp

I'm not saying that people who have a loved one cremated do forgo a funeral, although typically it's more of a memorial service that can now be held at a more convenient time. I haven't been to one such memorial service that was held in a church, but I don't see why not unless the church forbade it for some reason. My father in law's service was a very simple graveside thing, with a little reception at their old home church afterwards. No church funeral at all.

What I was saying, poorly, is what the poster after me said, that it's a witness to the burial and then future resurrection of the body, and that's why it's been a tradition for thousands of years.

*shrug* I think I will likely be buried because it's my husband's preference and I won't be there anyways.

My in-laws are against cremation. If you ask me, it seems they believe more along the lines of Ancient Egyptians when it comes to burial. LOL

I told my kids to cremate me and stick me in the compost. Funeral services are such a rip off. And please, don't visit my grave. I won't be there. Just look at my scrapbooks. Just remember me.

Oh, and by all means, the medical community may take anything of mine that they need. I'd be honored to know that I continued to help someone long after I'm gone.

*shrug* I think I will likely be buried because it's my husband's preference and I won't be there anyways.

Me too. I told him to do whatever made him feel best. I don't really care what he does with me :p Granted, I did say I did not under any circumstances want to end up a waxy figure in that art show thing.

I think burial was chosen because it was the tradition and to fulfill a plan.

And, I think organ donation is a fabulous way for a believer to bless other people.

Let me give a disclaimer, even though these are my view points, I do not condemn those who have choosen to cremate (and I am pretty sure dam*ation for cremation is not an EO stance, will cite my sources later if anyone wants them). Many in my family have and intend to cremate. I am presenting these statements so that another POV can be represented.

In Gen. 1:26-27, we are told that we are made in the image and likeness of God, (the whole human being). That our bodies were never intended for death is supported by Rom. 5:12 which says death came through sin. Because we were made in the image of God, we should treat the body with the utmost respect and that means even after death (I Cor. 6:19) After all, we are just sleeping (I Cor. 15: 20, 42-44). The fact that the body decays is just a natural process and by-product of death. That death was never intended should further emphasize the importance of respecting the body. Consider also, that Jesus was buried. He certainly could have told His disciples to cremate Him, and think of the magnitude of that kind of miracle. Not only back from the dead, but back from ashes!! But He chose burial; there must be something significant about it.

It seems logical to me that the issue is not so much dam*ation if you do cremate or eternal life without a body, but it is for the benefit of those still living. Having your body buried can be one last final witness that you give to those who are living. In essence you are proclaiming (or being a witness) that you believe the Bible: we were made in the image of God, our bodies should not be desecrated, our body was not intended for death, some day the dead in Christ shall rise, believers are just sleeping, and over-all as a follower of Christ you wanted to be like Him while living, in burial, and in resurrection from the dead.

As far as an ecological issue..... please check out this web site. http://www.glendalenaturepreserve.org/ There is a green way to be buried. A body decomposes much quicker if not embalmed, and untreated wood also decomposes quickly without harm to the environment. Plus it is much less expensive.

I think burial was chosen because it was the tradition and to fulfill a plan.

And, I think organ donation is a fabulous way for a believer to bless other people.

We've been discussing this and I found out that dh was completely against donating my organs or body to science. Now, his driver's license has a big old heart on it, he's an organ donor, but he doesn't want me to be one.

So, would you change your status if your dh didn't want you to donate? My after life plans :lol: are all pretty much whatever makes my husband happy. My thought is, if he's still around then he can do almost whatever he wants with me and it doesn't matter to me one bit, after all I'm dead.

Dr. Alvin J. Schmidt, retired LCMS pastor and retired professor from Fort Wayne seminary wrote a book called "Dust to Dust or Ashes to Ashes" on the subject of cremation. It might be an interesting read for those who want more bibical history on the subject.

I'm confused by this. :confused: The Church may help a family out financially in paying for a funeral if they're strapped for funds, but I've never heard of them specifying to the family how the deceased body is to be cared for. This is what the Church Handbook of Instructions (given to Bishops to help them in their duties) says about Cremation (emphasis added by me):

When my cousin died, my aunt did not have enough money to deal with his body. She was told that the church would pay for a cremation, but not a burial. And this went against the grain of what my extended family had always been led to believe was the church's stand on cremation.

We've been discussing this and I found out that dh was completely against donating my organs or body to science. Now, his driver's license has a big old heart on it, he's an organ donor, but he doesn't want me to be one.

So, would you change your status if your dh didn't want you to donate? My after life plans :lol: are all pretty much whatever makes my husband happy. My thought is, if he's still around then he can do almost whatever he wants with me and it doesn't matter to me one bit, after all I'm dead.

What's his reasoning??

LOL. My husband has this unreasonable fear that they will let me die, harvest my organs, and leave him cleaning the house & taking care of the children FOREVER.

When my cousin died, my aunt did not have enough money to deal with his body. She was told that the church would pay for a cremation, but not a burial. And this went against the grain of what my extended family had always been led to believe was the church's stand on cremation.

Hmm. I really don't know. Perhaps because it would take too much money out of the church funds to pay for a full burial? (I'm including cost of a coffin and burial plot, plus embalming, etc.) Typically when church funds is used for things like this, it's money that's collected from the local congregation via Fast Offerings (which are seperate from Tithing), so the congregation may have simply not had the funds to help pay for a traditional burial and all it entails.

But that's just a guess.

As I quoted from the CHI, cremation isn't expressly forbidden by the church, so it's not out of bounds for a Bishop to offer to use church funds to pay for one.

What's his reasoning??
A little of what Daisy said (fear they'd let me die) and also, he doesn't like the idea of people digging into me. Really, dh does not want anyone else touching me, I'm pretty sure if he could get away with taking care of everything he would (meaning, moving the body, cleaning it, dressing it &tc). Since that's not possible, he wants to minimize it as much as possible. He leans more towards having no embalming and a quick burial. As little of me floating around with strangers as possible.

LOL. My husband has this unreasonable fear that they will let me die, harvest my organs, and leave him cleaning the house & taking care of the children FOREVER.

Mine too :lol:

Again, though--why? What makes ground consecrated, & what happens if they're not kept together?

Consecrated is, I believe, blessed ground. I also think the idea of keeping them together is because of the respect due to our bodies. Also, I'm not sure if this pertains or not, places that got destroyed had their ashes flung to the four corners. There could possibly be a connection there. When God wanted to take out a place, He took it out and nothing was left together (not even the dust). I'm not sure why He would do that, but thinking about it makes me think that having your ashes spread would be tantamount to a person trying to do the same thing (unwittingly in most cases).

"Well, she's thin. That would make her happy."

:smilielol5: That is fabulous !

I don't have to have a response. I believe what you said. But I might want to be one of them, & I had my dad cremated.

I don't believe that's a problem, so if I've understood their position correctly, I guess I don't want to be one of them, do I? :001_smile:

If you want to be one of them, I would apply the "I will take what works for me and leave the rest" plan. Because ultimately these things are personal and up to you, no matter where you go to church...at least that is how I operate.

Our boys are fascinated by any tidbits they can gather about the Jedi religion. They have told me that when a Jedi dies, he must be put into the fire in order to free his spirit. That is kind of a cool idea - a positive way of looking at cremation.

Edited by laundrycrisis