Menu

Would you feed your kids this?

Chili Dog Casserole. It came in my email recipe suggestion from allrecipes. Hot dogs are a rare thing here as is canned chili, but this looks like a great pantry emergency meal that my kids would go nuts over. Maybe I need to relax and just make it for fun sometime. What do you think?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-Dog-Casserole-II/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=54107764&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2011-03-03&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipe&me=1

Well, I would once in awhile. But, take my thoughts only for what they are worth!

My family doesn't eat organics(can't afford it) and we do eat packaged foods sometimes(they are affordable). I'm not a proponent of real food only either.

This would not be a weekly meal for us. Once a month or one of those days where my meal plan didn't happen? Sure.

Weeeeell, on the opposite end of the spectrum, we do try to eat organics, mostly, whole food, avoid processed food, etc...........that being said....we have a local hot dog place that is to do DIE for.....and yes, both DH and I "crave" it. We go about once a month, and my normal order is:

Onions, Mustard, Chili, Slaw, Kraut alll on the same dog!!!! Sooooo gross, yet OMG, sooo good!!!! Five years ago, I would not even eat a hot dog, let alone one with all of that crap on it!!

Anyhoo, I could see making that and DH loving it, but I know my kids would not touch it...they don't do chili type stuff at all, so it is probably a no go at our house.

I make chili quite a bit. I don't have any guilt at all over it.

Beans are so healthy! Joseph's makes a very mild and good thin flax tortilla. In something like that, I doubt kids would even notice they are whole grain.

As an in -a -pinch meal , and if we could get by with two cans of chili, I would make it, but I'd use the Applegate (since we don't buy them often) hot dogs, and Amy's chili with the Joseph's tortillas. Same fast deal.

Edited by LibraryLover

I do try to cook mostly healthy food.

I probably would not make that but I do serve chili dogs now and then. I just like them on buns. I just serve left over chili, a packet of hot dogs, tomatoes, relish, and onions. I like tons of mustard on mine but dh and dd do not care for mustard. Tortillas are just as bad health-wise as hot dog buns.

Edited by Sis

I might. We eat chili often (homemade). Maybe with those hotdogs I can get at Costco ???? can't think what they're called right now. It's the hotdogs that I rarely have in the house. I would have to make a point to buy them.

I might. We eat chili often (homemade). Maybe with those hotdogs I can get at Costco ???? can't think what they're called right now. It's the hotdogs that I rarely have in the house. I would have to make a point to buy them.

They have those kosher hot dogs at costco. Do you mean those?

ETA: I googled, they are Hebrew National

Edited by Sis

well, probably not because my 2 of my kids don't like hot dogs and noone except one likes chili.

But ask me about something equally as unhealthy and my answer may change! :tongue_smilie: :lurk5: extra hydrogrogenated oil on that popcorn anyone?

Dawn

Chili Dog Casserole. It came in my email recipe suggestion from allrecipes. Hot dogs are a rare thing here as is canned chili, but this looks like a great pantry emergency meal that my kids would go nuts over. Maybe I need to relax and just make it for fun sometime. What do you think?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-Dog-Casserole-II/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=54107764&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2011-03-03&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipe&me=1

If we were in a hurry and these items were in my pantry and freezer, I wouldn't bother with the casserole aspect. We'd just have chili dogs.

We eat hotdogs weekly here too. The cheapest ones I can buy. :D We usually eat it with mac n' cheese. Dh and I love chili dogs and one dd does as well. So I wouldn't make the casserole. The casserole looks fine to me and I'm sure I would like it but I think I would like a plain old chili dog better. And they seriously take 5 minutes to prepare. So that might be a plus over the casserole. Keep it simple. :001_smile:

Yes we would try it....you have to remember I'm living in the land of Brots. :D

I've bought canned chili twice in my life. Both time just because I wanted chili cheese fries, but didn't want to make a pot of chili for the fries.

For me it has two strikes against it - canned chili and tortillas. I don't do soggy breadstuffs. Ick.

I don't have a big problem with it, but my dc are not chili fans, dh won't touch hotdogs, and I can't have the tortillas, so no one here could eat it anyway! I make chili all the time, and I do like chili dogs and cheese, so I imagine it would be ok depending on how canned chili tastes.

Honestly, probably not. It does sound good though. :o If the hot dogs didn't bother me, I would use whole grain tortillas, and add veggies to the chili, using a good chili (I would use Amy's, because it's AWESOME, but homemade would be better, I'm sure). You could have zucchini, tomatoes, maybe finely chopped or shredded carrots, and it would still be chili dog-y and good.

That's just me though. Nobody is going to die from eating chili dog casserole. ;)

I probably wouldn't. I try to avoid nitrate-containing meats and keep them to once a month. I'd rather have bacon. :)

Spoilsport that I am, bean burritos wouldn't take much if at all longer if you use canned beans. I usually use black beans and saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in a pan, then toss in the beans and serve with cheese.

What do you think?

I think that it is a good thing you started this thread. I put some formerly frozen chili on the stove to heat. DD came on here and read this thread, and made me a delicious chili dog for dinner, just the way I like it. You gave her the idea! Thanks!

I would, but probably not with canned chili. I would make it as a way to use up the last of the giant pot of chili we were all getting tired of eating. (I tend to cook in large quantities. It's the only way I know how.)

I'm not totally opposed to canned chili, especially on a hectic night when my planned meal fell through. If you tend to have hot dogs and tortillas on hand, it might be good to have as a back up.

We eat hot dogs weekly (Oscar Meyer makes a nitrate free version, that goes on sale for .99/package regularly, with all the other varieties), so yes, we would eat this.

Sheesh! You must have a great grocery store! I just bought these for $2.80 on sale...I was so excited because the all-beef I usually buy are close to $4.00!

I wouldn't make the casserole...I'd just make some chilli dogs for DH and me instead. My DC would skip the chilli and cheese though...they just like ketchup!