Menu

RoughCollie Had a Heart Attack

On a slightly random note (DS2 again), does anyone have any suggestions for what I should bring to her at the hospital tomorrow?

So far, I'm bringing her a laptop (on loan from my old cyberschool, but it's been so long since I haven't bothered to send it back that I doubt a few extra days will matter), her cell phone charger, and her Kindle charger, and a comb (the hospital will probably provide a tooth brush and all of that, but if it doesn't, I can bring that stuff on Thursday).

I'm not so sure about bringing clothing, because they made us take the clothing she had on home with us, and said that they would provide her with a hospital gown, or something.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. :)

DS2

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's after 10:00 p.m. here on the west coast and I am just reading this thread because I have been gone all day long. The first thing that caught my attention was "Rough Collie Had a Heart Attack" on the thread feed. That REALLY caught my attention because she is a friend of mine and I care about her very much. I'm so glad that I logged on to the Internet tonight so I can pray with the others.

Ds2, you did an awesome job of telling us what happened! Your family has been through a huge crisis today and God used you to be the glue that held everyone together. Way to go!!! Just let your mom know I'm praying for her and for all of you. Please keep us posted.

And a word for Ds1-2-&3 and Dd, just stop and thank the Lord that you are living in this day of amazing technology. People that have heart problems get amazing care and survive situations that would have not been so good back in the "olden days". Your dear mother will be feeling much better soon and it sounds like she will be doing fine under her doctor's care, good advice and the procedures they are doing. And paying a big medical bill off bit by bit is much more desirable than losing a mother. I'm so glad that you all knew just what to do and were ready.

Blessings to all,

Lucinda

On a slightly random note (DS2 again), does anyone have any suggestions for what I should bring to her at the hospital tomorrow?

So far, I'm bringing her a laptop (on loan from my old cyberschool, but it's been so long since I haven't bothered to send it back that I doubt a few extra days will matter), her cell phone charger, and her Kindle charger, and a comb (the hospital will probably provide a tooth brush and all of that, but if it doesn't, I can bring that stuff on Thursday).

I'm not so sure about bringing clothing, because they made us take the clothing she had on home with us, and said that they would provide her with a hospital gown, or something.

DS2

Toiletries. Anything the hospital "gives" is going to be charged to you, so I suggest her own toothbrush, paste, brush/comb, face wash, soap, LOTION! Hospitals and hospital bedding can dry out your skin, so make sure she has a big bottle of lotion. Her robe and slippers, or some slipper socks.

ETA: undies.

You're a good son to be asking and thinking ahead.

I think you've got it pretty much covered. I'd take some slippers and bathrobe. I don't know if she'd be allowed to use 'non-hospital' stuff, but maybe. And I'd bring toothbrush and toothpaste along with the comb. If she has long hair bring a hair band or two, so she can pull her hair up. The Kindle and laptop will keep her well occupied. When I was in hospital several years ago, I enjoyed doing cross stitch as a break from reading sometimes. Does she do any little handiwork that you could bring along? That would be about it that I can think of.

Praying for you all.

DS2 - thanks for the update. Those 200 plus people praying are keeping you and your siblings and dad in thoughts, wishes and prayers too.

I was 18 when my dad had his first heart attack. He was 42. He's still around and that was 1986 when that happened.

you're doing a good job on all of this! :grouphug:

-crystal

Good job!!! If she has a favorite lotion that is a good thing to bring too, and socks. Don't worry about it now, but if she ends up staying for more than 2 days I'd try to find some "waterless shampoo", they sell it in drugstores. They usually won't let her shower while hooked up to the monitors and it feels really good to clean your hair, even if it is with the waterless stuff.

THe last hospital we used kept this on hand. We just had to ask a nurse for it.

I second taking her a robe. If they want her to get up and walk it will provide better modesty. Slippers of some sort are nice as well. If hers look ratty, now is the best time for a gift.

Gum is nice, as well as breath mints. Some medicines and the food they serve can cause a nasty mouth.

You are an amazing son, you should be proud of yourself and your mom should be proud of you

:iagree:

DS2

Framed pictures of family :)

An mp3 player?

:grouphug: Praying for a speedy recovery.

If the hospital staff rejects any of the things you bring to her today, keep them in a bag in the trunk of the car so they are handy. She will probably get moved to another unit soon and the rules will change. No sense in shuffling stuff back and forth unnecessarily.

Thanks for the updates, Ds2. You are a gem!

Blessings,

Lucinda