Menu

I'm outraged at the Toyota commercial I just saw...

My dh and I were just watching the news when a Toyota Highlander commercial was aired. In this commercial, it shows young children coming out of school, and one of the children was hiding because his parents didn't drive a nice car. The other kid obnoxiously said, "See Billy over there? That's what utter humiliation is like. Lucky for me, my mom gets it... This Highlander is so cool." - It's one thing to make adults feel like they "need" something in a commercial, but to make children feel insecure about the car their parents drive is appalling - especially in this economy!!!

OK, I just have to say that when DH and I saw that commercial we busted out laughing. A few years ago, that car was our car! And I was picking up our kids from school in it, lol!

It was perfect for our family while we had it. We could fit everyone and the dog, plus a couple friends. Instead of thinking it was dorky, my kids friends thought it was the coolest thing and were dying to get in the way back (which faced the other way and had seatbelts, btw). Everyone wanted a ride.

I get the point you're making, but that car! :D

That was actually filmed at the last school I worked in. It made me homesick.

But I think a LOT of commercials are trying to play into the "I am better than you are because I drive X" Whatever, really I don't expect the world to be any different. It just gives me more opportunity to talk to my kids about what is truly important.

OK, I just have to say that when DH and I saw that commercial we busted out laughing. A few years ago, that car was our car! And I was picking up our kids from school in it, lol!

It was perfect for our family while we had it. We could fit everyone and the dog, plus a couple friends. Instead of thinking it was dorky, my kids friends thought it was the coolest thing and were dying to get in the way back (which faced the other way and had seatbelts, btw). Everyone wanted a ride.

Here's the thing... that station wagon was not dirty or falling apart. It was a nice, clean (obviously out of style) car. A child has no control over what vehicle his parents can afford, but he is made to feel "humiliated" if it's not a brand new, expensive car.

BTW, my kids keep asking about the station wagon my parents had when we were growing up - they think it's cool too!

Another reason I love homeschooling :D When we go to Gramma's (the land where the big screen TV plays 24-7 and three other TVs in other rooms play alternate channels 24-7) the kids get to exercise their newfound thinking skills.

Ds saw the laundrey commercial and said it was an insult to women.

Dd saw the car commercial and said it was peer pressure.

Both rolled their eyes and moved on.

Meanwhile, my parents wondered if that was why my sibs and I had so many problems at school :glare:

It's one thing to make adults feel like they "need" something in a commercial, but to make children feel insecure about the car their parents drive is appalling - especially in this economy!!!

I find that commercial horrifying also.

But- commercials are a great tool for teaching logic! This also makes kids pretty much imune to the wiles of marketing people.

ETA- I read somewhere that Toyota's marketing effort to make mini-vans cool was a huge flop. Those commercials were a lot more amusing than the Highlander ones though.

If you are able to get a copy of THE HIDDEN PERSUADERS by Vance Packard, it is a worthwhile. My friend's dad wrote it in the 60s, I think. He was on THE TONIGHT SHOW at the height of the book's success. I had to read it in high school.

As a friend and I were talking about last week at co-op, Madison Avenue does want us to be brainwashed with the idea that it IS all about 'Keeping up with the Joneses.'

Meanwhile, my parents wondered if that was why my sibs and I had so many problems at school :glare:

LOL! My parents drove the worst cars. My dad would always make a deal on the ugly car that sat in the lot at the dealership for a year. Never occured to me that cars were supposed to be cool.

around here IF we are even watching a TV show (usually it's sports)...we mute the commercials...SEEING them is bad enough, but to add sound is more than what we can even stand....I to dislike so many of the commercials!!!!! The kids even now mute the commercials themselves (if we aren't there to do it for them...so it's the norm around here)

LOL! My parents drove the worst cars. My dad would always make a deal on the ugly car that sat in the lot at the dealership for a year. Never occured to me that cars were supposed to be cool.

Novas, in many many colors :p I loved the Novas, I loved the Chevelle too. There was just one... a white Chrysler tank that had no shocks. The no shocks was embarrassing. Having to wait for the car to stop hopping so I could get out was a little painful :lol:

My dh and I were just watching the news when a Toyota Highlander commercial was aired. In this commercial, it shows young children coming out of school, and one of the children was hiding because his parents didn't drive a nice car. The other kid obnoxiously said, "See Billy over there? That's what utter humiliation is like. Lucky for me, my mom gets it... This Highlander is so cool." - It's one thing to make adults feel like they "need" something in a commercial, but to make children feel insecure about the car their parents drive is appalling - especially in this economy!!!

:iagree:

The whole point of advertising is to make you feel that something is missing from your life, and that your life would be better with the product in question. Sure, that's rather blatant, but your children are being advertised to constantly, and being told they'd be happier with various things, from video games to sugary cereals.

Yeah - I'm torn between which one I dislike more..the Toyota spoiled brat commercial, or the laundry soap commercial where the Dad tries to get rid of the way too short skirt, and mom circumvents him, letting the girl go out in it.

I LOATHE that commercial.

Frankly, I'm sick to death of the media portraying men as helpless, ignorant, stupid. Mom's always fixing Dad's mistakes, often with a giggle and a 'poor man' attitude,

And as for the skirt in that commercial? I'm betting I'd be dead before Diva struts out of the house in something that barely covers her butt. :ack2:

Ds saw the laundrey commercial and said it was an insult to women.

:glare:

I agree. I think it also insults men, the whole impotent father figure image.

The only way that commercial could have the proper impact, in my opinion, is if it had been played out by the Bundy family.

I LOATHE that commercial.

Frankly, I'm sick to death of the media portraying men as helpless, ignorant, stupid. Mom's always fixing Dad's mistakes, often with a giggle and a 'poor man' attitude,

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

As a mom of three boys, I agree with you completely!!

And as for the skirt in that commercial? I'm betting I'd be dead before Diva struts out of the house in something that barely covers her butt. :ack2:

:iagree: Though I work with a woman who lets her 10 year old girl watch S3x in the City -only the TV version. Not the cable one - that would be bad. What?

OP - I hate Toyota commercials. Oh and the Honda commercials, too. Ugh.

I would use the commercial as a learning experience. Talk about how different people live. There is nothing wrong with being different.

In reality a lot of people that have big fancy houses and vehicles can't afford them and are living beyond their means.

Our house is a lot smaller than just about everyone elses that we know. However, our house is paid for.

Kids need to learn to be happy with what they have and not living in the unhappy state because of the things they don't have.

The whole point of advertising is to make you feel that something is missing from your life, and that your life would be better with the product in question. Sure, that's rather blatant, but your children are being advertised to constantly, and being told they'd be happier with various things, from video games to sugary cereals.

It's nothing new in the world of advertising.

I have found that the best way to combat these messages is with plenty of conversation with our boys about the intent of advertising. They were pretty young when they began to say, "Oh, sure! [That product] is going to change my life?! I don't think so."

Yeah - I'm torn between which one I dislike more..the Toyota spoiled brat commercial, or the laundry soap commercial where the Dad tries to get rid of the way too short skirt, and mom circumvents him, letting the girl go out in it.

Dh and I busted out laughing at both!!!

We just thought they were both dumb and unmotivating.

Aren't most commercials these days based on the premise that our value is predicated on how we look or what we "own" ? It's pitiable to be sure, but I have come to expect it from a society whose apparent sole focus is making money.

To the op: I agree with you!

It is everywhere now. You would think that with the way the economy has gone and so many out of work, people would be a little more sensitive to this. It just seems to have gotten worse.

Danielle

That commercial always makes me feel really, really sorry for the people who are unintelligent enough to buy into that crap. And sadly, I know quite a few people who fall into that category.

Of course, no one's vehicle could ever be as cool as my old Focus with the deer imprint in the hood and the bumper stickers on the back. :D

I agree with the OP. I also wanted to add that, as kids, it was rather exciting to see who had the most unusual and ridiculous vehicle pulling into the school parking lot. A badge of courage and resourcefulness :) No one particularly noticed the parents vehicles otherwise and once we were teens if you had a super nice vehicle you got a little attention until you wrecked it three weeks later...then you were teased for the remainder of the year :001_smile: It seemed wise even to our young minds to have your first vehicle be rather expendable :) Those ones seemed to fare better at any rate!

Oh! I despise that one! Dad, TELL the girl she isn't wearing that. Mom, back up your spouse. Girl, don't act like a snotty tramp. Grrrrrrr.:glare:

Of course, no one's vehicle could ever be as cool as my old Focus with the deer imprint in the hood and the bumper stickers on the back. :D

Who wouldn't love that?! Extra points if any of the bumper stickers are for political candidates who lost.

How much do the attitudes in that car commercial reflect what you see in real life? I know a few people who care about what kind of car or house or clothes somebody has, but most don't seem to notice. Of course, I live in a crunchy-granola kind of town, so orange VW vans with paisley curtains are pretty commonplace, especially among homeschoolers.

And if my kid is embarrassed to be seen in our Windex-blue 1991 Toyota Tercel, he's wise enough to keep it to himself.

We had a yellow Ford Galaxy, but the terrible thing was that my mom tied a yellow plastic flower to the antenna (so we could see it in parking lots). As a teen driving I would try to get that off, thinking I could put in on again when I was done, but she had it tied on there with so much fishline that it was too difficult to even try.

So as a teen, I blowed dried, used a curling iron, put on makeup and cool clothes and then drove around with a plastic yellow flower on the antenna. lol

Another one I hate is the laundry commercial where the teenager asks if her mom had seen her shirt and the mom LIES as she mentally flashes to the picture of herself partying in the shirt and spilling something on it. Such wonderful values out there now in general. And the sad thing is... that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I just pointed out the Tide commercial to dh the other night. I agree about hating the way men are portrayed! In fact, this is why we don't read The Berenstain Bears books, but that's another story. It's just one of my "things."

The real reason I posted is that this whole conversation has made me think about my first car which was my parents' Oldsmobile Cutlas Supreme...big, boxy 4-door, white with a navy blue top. Oh yes, my parents wrapped up the keys and everything to be funny. Hilarious! Anyway...this was in 1988 which was when Oldsmobile was in the midst of its "This is not your father's Oldsmobile" ad campaign. So my (also hilarious!) cousin had a bumper sticker made that said, "This IS my father's Oldsmobile!" It really was funny! And you know, my car ended up being the one my friends and I took everywhere b/c we could fit so many people in it...bench seats, you know! I always think gratefully about that car b/c when I did get to pick a car for the first time I was so, so thrilled even though it too was a little past its prime. So for me, I think uncool now means everything else seems cooler later! :) Does that make sense? I hope so b/c I make myself feel better and justified for denying my kids b/c of how great its going to be for them later!!!

Edited by happykate

OMG my parents had one of those when I was a teenager. I would LOVE to have one now!

Alas they no longer make them.

I so rarely watch TV - usually just PBS - that I'm not up on these commercials. Anyway, reading about the commercial made me wonder if I was somehow harming my poor children. Our newest car is a 13 yr. old van and our oldest is 26 yrs. old, but it's a Toyota! Probably from a marketing standpoint it serves their purpose: making people believe they need a newer, better, more expensive car or whatever they're trying to sell. Whether they can afford it or not.

I have been pretty offended at the Toyota Highlander commercials as of late, too. Talk about reinforcing everything that we as parents are trying to drive out of our children - materialism, looking down on others because they don't have nice things, disrespect for parents, being discontent with what you have. I'm about ready to write to Toyota.

I have been pretty offended at the Toyota Highlander commercials as of late, too. Talk about reinforcing everything that we as parents are trying to drive out of our children - materialism, looking down on others because they don't have nice things, disrespect for parents, being discontent with what you have. I'm about ready to write to Toyota.

Well, people on this forum raved about their Sienna commercials. The Sienna commercials had zero effect on sales. They probably figure commercials people like don't sell cars (and they are probably right...)