Menu

I'm outraged at the Toyota commercial I just saw...

Yeah - I'm torn between which one I dislike more..the Toyota spoiled brat commercial, or the laundry soap commercial where the Dad tries to get rid of the way too short skirt, and mom circumvents him, letting the girl go out in it.

Yes, I hate both of these commercials too. Boils my blood.

Also remember the Hummer commercials a few years back? Almost identical to the Toyota ones....Every time I see a Hummer I think how disgusted I was by that commercial. I would never buy a Hummer just based on that. And now looks like I might add Toyota to that list....(although I REALLY like Toyotas)

I saw the Highlander commercial for the first time last week and I had the same reaction as the OP. Car sales are aimed at adults and I think it's terrible to encourage children to be humiliated (or even worse, expect other kids to be humiliated) just because of the car their parents drive. It just seemed to go too far.

Oh! I despise that one! Dad, TELL the girl she isn't wearing that. Mom, back up your spouse. Girl, don't act like a snotty tramp. Grrrrrrr.:glare:

EXACTLY! The whole family unnerved me. Especially the wife's smug look to her dh at the very end....made it clear she KNEW he didn't want dd to wear it....in his passive aggressive way. :glare:

My dh hates that commercial. We drive a really old green van in an area where everyone has nice cars. I am not exaggerating. When we travelled back to our hometown and ds was 14 he asked where all the "normal" cars were, you know like the Lexus's, BMW's... :lol: And he was serious. My dh borrows our dd's car when he goes to important meetings. :001_smile: I am very proud of our van and our goal is for it to last until ds graduates from college. One or two years to go!

Oh I truly hope I didn't offend anyone with my "Berenstain Bears" comment! That's why I have so few posts even though I'm on here all.the.time! :) It takes me forever to write s'thing b/c I want to make sure it comes across as I want it to.

Anyway, it is totally personal thing with me, but it has just always bugged me that the dad is usually kind of bumbling and messing things up and it's the kids who get it right and show him how it's done. Please don't think I make it a bigger deal than it is! He is portrayed as sweet and caring and they are shown to be a sweet family who cares about each other so obviously it's not that I think they're evil or anything AT ALL! My sweet kids just kind of came into the world thinking they've pretty much got it all together so I try to be really attuned to that sort of thing! :)

In the Berenstien Bears books Dad is almost always portrayed as a bumbling know nothing and mom and the kids have to teach him.

Hilarious! We must have been posting at the exact same time and even both said "bumbling." My best friend loves these books and thinks I'm crazy. She has a thing about Tom and Jerry and I let my boys watch those cartoons (which they love) so there you go! Different strokes for different folks and all that! :)

I have been pretty offended at the Toyota Highlander commercials as of late, too. Talk about reinforcing everything that we as parents are trying to drive out of our children - materialism, looking down on others because they don't have nice things, disrespect for parents, being discontent with what you have. I'm about ready to write to Toyota.

Why be offended? If you don't buy into the materialism, then this should just reinforce your own beliefs. Toyota has just done you a favour by clearly stating their materialistic bent. So, institute your own personal boycott and refuse to buy Toyota products. Let your dollars do your talking for you. Trust me -- your letter will be read to deaf ears, if to anyone at all.

Oh I truly hope I didn't offend anyone with my "Berenstain Bears" comment! That's why I have so few posts even though I'm on here all.the.time! :) It takes me forever to write s'thing b/c I want to make sure it comes across as I want it to.

Anyway, it is totally personal thing with me, but it has just always bugged me that the dad is usually kind of bumbling and messing things up and it's the kids who get it right and show him how it's done. Please don't think I make it a bigger deal than it is! He is portrayed as sweet and caring and they are shown to be a sweet family who cares about each other so obviously it's not that I think they're evil or anything AT ALL! My sweet kids just kind of came into the world thinking they've pretty much got it all together so I try to be really attuned to that sort of thing! :)

We don't do the Berenstein Bears either for the same reason. I don't hate them and wouldn't flip out if someone read them to my kids, but we've got a thousand odd children's books and we just don't need to read those.

In the Berenstien Bears books Dad is almost always portrayed as a bumbling know nothing and mom and the kids have to teach him.

I never really noticed... We don't have many of their books and the father doesn't really show up much in the few we have :p

No worries ;)