Menu

temp in house

Unfortunately, yes I was serious--18 degrees F. They had the option of sleeping in the basement, which is 45 or so, but they preferred their rooms. One did succumb to an electric blanket, the other just piles on lots of blankets. We have an electric blanket on our bed but it is a chilling trip from the bathroom to the bed. Even so, I sleep warmly and don't need to turn my side on. Amazing what one can get used to...

Whoa. I've gotten used to to the cold, but I don't think I could hack that. I would be checking my kids constantly.

I sympathize with the person who said it was 18 degrees in their home. Our house was built in 1930. There is no insulation, and the windows are original. We don't have central heat or air. So, I'm not sure exactly what temp we're at!

So, in the summer there is no a/c - only fans. (And NC is very hot and humid!) We have propane based heat in the dining room and in the den. Those two rooms become comfortable, as long as you are in layers. However, in the front of the house, where our office and library are, and in the bedrooms, you can see your breath - so, not sure how cold that is, but cold!

It sounds crazy, but even in a bedroom where you can see your breath, you can get comfy. I use A LOT of blankets and wear two layers. I have actually gotten hot before, believe it or not, LOL.

The bad thing is, things like your dish soap will freeze up if your kitchen has no heat (ask me how I know)! The good thing is, you don't have to worry so much about whether or not something didn't get put back in the fridge - chances are, it's still good! :tongue_smilie:

Unfortunately, yes I was serious--18 degrees F. They had the option of sleeping in the basement, which is 45 or so, but they preferred their rooms. One did succumb to an electric blanket, the other just piles on lots of blankets. We have an electric blanket on our bed but it is a chilling trip from the bathroom to the bed. Even so, I sleep warmly and don't need to turn my side on. Amazing what one can get used to...

When you say "under construction" do you mean no walls and no roof? I don't understand. You have electricity, but no heat? I think it is very very dangerous for your children to be subjected to those temperatures. I'm not trying to be nosey, but that just really worries me. And practically speaking, doesn't their snot freeze in their nose and their "sleep drool" freeze to their face? I'm honestly wondering.

In response to the op, I like our thermostat to be around 63-65ish in the winter. The only person who complains is my husband. Half the time the girls are running around in shorts and t-shirts. I think it's perfect.

I have no idea how you all do it. I'm in SE VA and if we don't keep the thermostat at 72 in the winter we'd all shiver to death even in sweatshirts. I don't understand why this house seems so cold if it's below that. I grew up in SE WI and if we kept it at 68 we were baking. This house is so odd, in the summer if the A/C is above 72 we sweat like it's not on at all.

In the mornings it can be 34 or so in the kitchen. During the day it might warm up to 45. I hesitate to turn on the furnace because we are still under construction and the heat goes right out through the rafters. One morning the kids' rooms were 18 and they said they slept pretty well. We do have a space heater in the bathroom, and another small heater that we can direct to our toes when it gets unbearable.

Is that Farenheit?

Ours is set at 69. I can't do much colder than that. I'm a wimp. On the flip side we keep it at 79 in the summer!

Us too except I don't usually turn on the AC until it gets to 80. I'm just not to warm until it gets over 80 but on the flip side I am miserable below 69-70 and I am not from where it is hot, go figure.

ETA - I just had to add that at 69 I do have sweaters, socks, cuddle-duds, etc. on, sometimes mulitple.

I'm always cold, so I keep it at about 74 in the winter. DH is always hot in the summer, so we keep the temp at 70-72 in the summer. (And yes, I know that it makes no sense to keep the house warmer in the winter than in the summer... ;))

We have another house, and I keep that one at 72 all the time, because I'm afraid something will freeze if I keep it colder and the power goes out for several hours. I know I'm just being paranoid, because the power rarely goes out in a storm, and it's really expensive to keep the heat and a/c on in a house that is rarely used, but it's worth the money to not wake up in the middle of the night worrying that a pipe burst or some other ridiculous thing. (I truly do stuff like that -- I'm such an idiot!)

Cat

Yep us too. If I get too cold I just sit around all day huddling under blankets and getting nothing done. DH doesn't mind. He prefers to be comfy at home.

This is me, if I get too cold I just huddle and struggle to be productive. I guess if I had moved north at a younger age I would have adjusted, but for me each winter is just worse than the one before. It doesn't help that I am battling anemia, I think I may tend to feel cold because of that, too?

At least dh is patient with me. I try to keep it no more than 70 during the day (though I'd love to crank it up to about 75!). I don't mind it colder at night. He knew when we moved here that this would be an issue for me.

You gals who keep it way cooler, how in the world do you do it??? You are amazing, I really admire you!

Everyone in my house is always freezing (except me!!!!!) .... so the temp is set at 69 usually (or 72 if Dh has his way).

Me, I rather set it at 65. And when the temp outside is from 50 to 70 I love opening all the windows. If I feel cold I just put on a hoodie or my robe.

When I need to clean house I turn the heat down to 63 and everyone else is putting on their winter coats-LOL. I tell them if they don't want to be cold... then they can do all the house cleaning so I don't get too hot-LOL. So far they aren't going for it-LOL.

I keep our bedroom window open a bit... Dh hates it but oh well, I need one room that I can be comfortable in. I get hot easily and the dry heat is just too irritating for my asthma. I also keep a cool mist humidifier and air cleaner running in the bedroom.

When you say "under construction" do you mean no walls and no roof? I don't understand. You have electricity, but no heat? I think it is very very dangerous for your children to be subjected to those temperatures. I'm not trying to be nosey, but that just really worries me. And practically speaking, doesn't their snot freeze in their nose and their "sleep drool" freeze to their face? I'm honestly wondering.

Hi Nakia--lots of people wonder about us, so you're not the first! We do have walls and a roof. The walls in the addition have foam insulation but there is no drywall on them or the ceiling, so the wind comes right through the roof vents. We live in an older part of the house that is closed off from the addition by a door, but the furnace ducts are not all connected yet and, because of no ceilings in the new part, the furnace would never shut off and it would only get moderately warmer. The kids are older, 15 and 17, and they are boys which I think makes them naturally warmer since I have to keep telling them to put more clothing on and they keep telling me they are fine. We have gone winter camping in a tent before and I don't see their sleeping arrangements as much different. Two years ago, when my oldest was 15, he rebuilt his brakes and replaced the shocks on his old pickup, working in the unheated garage the whole time. They spend a lot of time outside for fun and we all go for walks even when the wind chill is in the negative numbers so I feel that if we can stay warm outside then we can figure out how to stay warm inside, too.

I hope this answers some of your questions.:)

In the morning, with the woodstove banked all night it is a chilly 60ish.

I need my sweater and thick socks and fleece pants.

I keep the thermal curtains closed and stoke the stove and by the time I wake the kids up at 8, it is more like 65 and warming and it stays a lovely high 60's all day and higher if I am baking.

too hot on sunny days. We have all southern exposure and the sun pours in all day long. We can't burn our woodstove or fireplace without dripping. At night we still keep it warm. We burn the wood stove, which keeps the entire house toasty. My dd11 has a large room over the garage which it doesn't heat so she's on her own heating zone. We also run the fireplace if we're sitting out back.

When I'm cleaning, I get SO HOT from the sun. I don't tend to clean at night.;)

eta: I live in NH and I heard on the news it was around 2 degrees this morning. The sun isn't strong today so I threw in a piece of wood into the wood stove and we really could wear t-shirts in the house right now.

I'm so thankful for the wood stove. It has really saved us during power outages! We cut down, cut and split our own wood.

Hi Nakia--lots of people wonder about us, so you're not the first! We do have walls and a roof. The walls in the addition have foam insulation but there is no drywall on them or the ceiling, so the wind comes right through the roof vents. We live in an older part of the house that is closed off from the addition by a door, but the furnace ducts are not all connected yet and, because of no ceilings in the new part, the furnace would never shut off and it would only get moderately warmer. The kids are older, 15 and 17, and they are boys which I think makes them naturally warmer since I have to keep telling them to put more clothing on and they keep telling me they are fine. We have gone winter camping in a tent before and I don't see their sleeping arrangements as much different. Two years ago, when my oldest was 15, he rebuilt his brakes and replaced the shocks on his old pickup, working in the unheated garage the whole time. They spend a lot of time outside for fun and we all go for walks even when the wind chill is in the negative numbers so I feel that if we can stay warm outside then we can figure out how to stay warm inside, too.

I hope this answers some of your questions.:)

I'm not Nakia, but I was pretty concerned about your posts myself - and this does answer a lot of questions and lessen concerns, particularly the fact that your kids are older teenage boys with cold weather camping experience. I do hope that your construction can move along swiftly and get your house to the point that it can be heated up comfortably!

Usually it is set at 65, but it was 55 this morning. My 4yo pulled the thermostat off the wall yesterday and when I put it back up I forgot to change the settings to heat pump. Since I didn't do that, it never ran!

Good thing we live in FL and it wasn't *that* cold here last night!

We did spend a winter in a trailer a couple of years ago that had little insulation in the attic area (and in some areas it had none.) It would routinely get into the high 40s/low 50s inside at night, even with the unit running the whole time.:glare:

Currently it's 64 in most of the house. The kitchen is warmer since dd is making cookies, lunch is cooking, and broth is simmering. At nights it can get down to 45.

If we leave, we turn off the heat unless it's going to get cold enough to freeze the pipes. Our house is pier and beam and the floors stay freezing.

Blessings,

Melinda

68F during the day, 66F at night.

Everyone has slippers. we wear layers. I DO love winter layers. We have an OLD house but a brandy spankin new German furnace that runs like a dream. And for this size house, with no insulation, a slate roof and old windows? Tonight it's supposed to be 9F.

Your house sounds like mine! We have a slate roof, too!