Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week one

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading a few books that I want to finish. I've got to finish Warloard by Ted Bell, (about 3/4 of the way through) 61 hours by Lee Child (9/10 finished), With this Ring by Amanda Quick (about half way through) All About Passion by Stephanie Laurens (about a 1/3 of the way through) and I've got Wuthering Heights on my phone ereader. I started Wuthering Heights last so I'll count that as my first book and will hopefully finish all of these books within the next week or two.

Hello, all!

This week I'm reading Climbing Parnassus. This book came so highly recommended on this board, so often, that I simply had to see what all the fuss was about. ;)

I intend to read mostly books sitting unread on my shelf this year, but the library bought this one for me, so I thought I should read it first! :D

I'm a knitter, so I've noticed that I must remember to sit and READ my daily quota before I break out the knitting needles! This challenge will be good for me. :)

All books are acceptable except children books.**?

Where is the line drawn here? I ask because a. adult fiction often has reading levels at the grade 6-8 level, b. the line can get rather fuzzy at times, and c. sometimes I have to read novel length books my dc are reading and there are only so many reading hours in a week. Obviously you're not counting picture books and things like Junie B. Jones,

Where is the line drawn here? I ask because a. adult fiction often has reading levels at the grade 6-8 level, b. the line can get rather fuzzy at times, and c. sometimes I have to read novel length books my dc are reading and there are only so many reading hours in a week. Obviously you're not counting picture books and things like Junie B. Jones,

In reference to children books. If it is a child whose reading it and involved in the challenge, then that's okay. If an adult is doing read aloud with kids, the book should be geared for the 9 - 12 age group and above and over 100 pages. If adult reading for own enjoyment, then a good rule of thumb to go by "is there some complexity to the story or is it too simple?" If it's too simple, then doesn't count. Hope this helps.

Edited by Mytwoblessings

My first read is The Help. I'm loving it so far

I loved The Help! I read that last year.

I can't seem to settle on which book to start with. I don't know why that is. :confused: I have a huge book called Story that is about writing. I finally bought it after it sat on my Amazon list for about 2 years. :tongue_smilie: Why I'm not diving in, I can't really figure out.

I have a huge stack of books piled up that I had decided some months ago to tackle. I grabbed at random one of the books from that stack and began reading it yesterday. It is In Every Pew Sits a Broken Heart by Ruth Graham, the daughter of Ruth and Billy Graham. So far it's good.

Out of my monthly catogories

Spiritual Edification

History

Harvard Classics

and Misc. Fun

I've read LotH for Dodos for my spiritual edification (though I haven't implemented it yet) and Witch of Blackbird Pond for my misc. fun selection. I havent' done much else in two days but I've done that!

My husband stole my history selection (Guns, Germs, and Steel)! So, now I'll begin the Federalist Papers.

I am reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Just seemed like a good one to start the year with- its an easy light read and I may well finish before the end of the week. It's making me think about what really makes me happy, and why I don't do those things more often or regularly! It talks about why it's not selfish to do what makes you happy. So I am giving myself the tast of making sure I do the things that make me happy that I am defining for myself just for starters- meditation, exercise, decluttering, spending more time outside- more diligently.

I'm reading Writing to Save Your Life by Michele Weldon (so good that I've already put it in my cart on Amazon.)

and Will Write for Food. Both excellent!

We are going to the Friends of the Library booksale at the end of February and I am making a list based on some recommendations from this thread. Woo-hoo!

I'm reading The Well-Educated Mind, because I want to do the WEM mini-challenge this year (3 books from each of the 5 categories). The other mini-challenges I hope to do are Irish literature (6), "Chunksters" (6), Classics (24), and maybe the Mind Voyages/Nebula Winners (3). "British Social Satire" is my first theme for the year, so when I finish WEM I will start with either She Stoops to Conquer (Goldsmith, 1773) or The School for Scandal (Sheridan, 1777).

Jackie

Awesome. I'll be doing a little bit of everything but haven't decided on numbers yet.

Fortunately or unfortunately, my dh gave me some brain candy inspirational romance for Christmas. It's a trilogy and I'm nearly finished with the second one. For this week, I will read When the Soul Mends, the third part of the trilogy, by Cindy Woodsmall. It's an "Amish Christian romance", LOL. I promise to read more things of substance starting next week.

I'm also reading the Bible (all year) and will likely start Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola, a reread which is great this time of year. I tend to have the Bible, fiction and nonfiction all going at once.

I'm reading Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White. It's a YA book, but at 707 pages I won't feel guilty about that :)

The first three books in the series were written in the 80's. I read the third, in which the protagonist, who is the daughter of the first female president of the US, is kidnapped by terrorists. Never read the others, as my library didn't have them. The fourth book was published in 2007, and, after moving, I discovered our library system had all four, so I'm now (re)reading the whole thing.

I think the first novel-length read-aloud of the year for the kids will be Five Children and It.

I'm reading Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White. It's a YA book, but at 707 pages I won't feel guilty about that :)

The first three books in the series were written in the 80's. I read the third, in which the protagonist, who is the daughter of the first female president of the US, is kidnapped by terrorists. Never read the others, as my library didn't have them. The fourth book was published in 2007, and, after moving, I discovered our library system had all four, so I'm now (re)reading the whole thing.

I think the first novel-length read-aloud of the year for the kids will be Five Children and It.

I *loved* The President's Daughter when I was in High School (still have it around here somewhere. I read the second a few years ago, but have never found the third and didn't know of the fourth. Thanks!

In reference to children books. If it is a child whose reading it and involved in the challenge, then that's okay. If an adult is doing read aloud with kids, the book should be geared for the 9 - 12 age group and above and over 100 pages. If adult reading for own enjoyment, then a good rule of thumb to go by "is there some complexity to the story or is it too simple?" If it's too simple, then doesn't count. Hope this helps.

Yes, it makes complete sense.

I loved The Help! I read that last year.

I liked it, too, and had forgotten it. I was trying to remember how many books I read while on holidays in August, and can remember 3. That was one of them, and the best of the three (the others were Mockingjay and The Forgotten Garden.) But that was last year. I haven't finished my book for this week yet. The one my dd wanted me to read isn't stellar (although it meets the requirements as it's a y/a novel) so I'm not sure if I'll finish it or go back and finish the first of the Kristin Lavransdattar books.

So far I've made a good start on Beau Brummell: The ultimate Man of Style by Ian Kelly. Not sure how I'm liking it so far.

You guys have reinspired me to go back to trying Don Quixote (started it after WEM last year, but kind of fizzled on it. I also need to get back to America: The Last Best Hope by William Bennett (which is sitting on my nightstand half read). Maybe I'll re-read Anne of Green Gables again, its been a few years since I last did that and my dd9 just finished the first one.

I'll be reading Voyager, the third installment of the Outlander series. If for some reason I don't get it finished in the week, I'm also reading In the Coils of the Snake, the third book in the Hollow Kingdom trilogy that my dd wanted me to read.

I'm sure you'll be able to finish it in a week. It's my favorite Outlander book after Outlander. Lots of action in that one! Enjoy.

I'm sure you'll be able to finish it in a week. It's my favorite Outlander book after Outlander. Lots of action in that one! Enjoy.

I tried to read Book 1 several times because my mom loves the series so much. I finally just determined to read it and enjoyed the 2nd half. I didn't like book 2 that much and I'm glad my mom warned me that I wouldn't. But after that I felt like they got better and better and I read the most recent one in 2 days! Everything else stopped AND there is a HUGE cliffhanger at the end. ARGH! LOL

I tried to read Book 1 several times because my mom loves the series so much. I finally just determined to read it and enjoyed the 2nd half. I didn't like book 2 that much and I'm glad my mom warned me that I wouldn't. But after that I felt like they got better and better and I read the most recent one in 2 days! Everything else stopped AND there is a HUGE cliffhanger at the end. ARGH! LOL

:iagree:Huge cliffhanger is an understatment with the last one. It took me a bit to get into the first book when I started reading, but once I did, I couldn't put it down and finished it in three days I think. Yeah, the second isn't my favorite either, but so much of that info comes back to you later, that it still needs to be read. I found it to be a bit faster the second and third time I read it too. I think I read Voyager in just a couple of days, like you everything else just stopped and I got little sleep.

I read Our Town on New Year's Day. One of my categories for the year is plays I probably should have seen/read by this point in my life.

Now I'm part way through the Theban trilogy. Dd read it in a few hours yesterday :glare:, but it's taking me longer. We have my Fagles translation from college, but I have the Grene/Lattimore coming tomorrow. I may stop until then; it's supposed to be much better than Fagles. So this week I should have two or three books read, and that will make up for the weeks coming up when I read big thick books. :D

We'll be stalking the UPS man, who is bringing all of our Christmas gift card purchases this afternoon. I'l start Mathmatics: From the Birth of Numbers once he gets here. :001_smile:

I *loved* The President's Daughter when I was in High School (still have it around here somewhere. I read the second a few years ago, but have never found the third and didn't know of the fourth. Thanks!

I read these four last fall. I also loved the first two in high school but hadn't known about the third of fourth. I don't want to give away anything but I'll be interested to know what you think reading them this time. :bigear:

If any of our children are going the challenge, are we going to be keeping track of their progress here? If we are . .

Ds8 is joining the challenge too, except that he'll just be reading as many books as he can. So far this week he's finished:

Hardy Boys #2, The House on the Cliff

Encyclopedia Brown #5

Encyclopedia Brown #6

This morning he started Hardy Boys #3 and at the rate he's going right now, he'll be done with it in a day or two. He likes to read! :D