Menu

The 1st Grade Planning thread!

MissKNG

Anyone want to share what they are planning on using when their dc begin 1st grade? (I've seen a bunch of threads for other grades so why not the upcoming 1st graders!!;))

Here's what I *think* we may use:

Bible - BJU

Math - continuing with BJU(?) and Horizons, with MEP and CWP.

Science - Noeo Chemistry I

Phonics/Reading - ETC, Brain Bank Readers and other readers we have

Handwriting - nothing formal

History - continue American History using Sonlight materials and other resources/projects I've gathered

Anyone else? :D

Edited by MissKNG

My future little first grader just folds into everyone else! Here's what he will be using... I'll also note what my current 1st grader is using:

Reading: variety of library books history and science based

Writing: WWE1, copywork (handwriting done through copywork)

Grammar: current uses GWG1... I **think** my upcoming will too

Spelling: current uses SWO, upcoming will use AAS

History: SOTW 3 and then back to ancients (we're starting 3 now)

Science: Elemental science Physics (currently we're going into Chem after doing Earth Science)

Art: various art projects I find on the internet

Music: current takes piano, so will my upcoming as well as CC inspired music

Memorization: AWANA and CC memorization at home

Bible: Maybe continue with another Grapevine study... I'm also considering Bible Study Guide for All Ages.

Sylvia will be in 1st grade. Right now, plans are:

MFW Adventures w/Becca

CLE LA and math 100

WWE 1

SL 2 reg readers

Hmm, wow, is 1st grade really that easy? :001_huh: She'll also enter choir in the fall and continue in gymnastics. Both girls also attend a co-op once a week.

For my future 1st grader:

Bible - will try Veritas Bible (Genesis - Joshua); continue Catechism for Young Children

Reading - finish OPGTR; books and more books (on topics and classics)

Language Arts - WWE 1; FLL 1; SWO A; Universal Book (whichever one we're on by then)

Math - Saxon 2

History - SOTW1!

Science - God's Design for Science - Life Science

Art - Drawing with Children; seasonal crafts

Music - hopefully piano...

We'll probably get to 1st grade around March. My plans right now are MFW 1st grade. We'll add in AAS 1 and Math. We still have a good ways to go with Rightstart B so we'll continue with that. For my ds that loves math he'll do another math program in addition to that- probably Singapore.

The science in MFW 1st grade doesn't look too heavy so we'll probably continue with Elemental Science because my kids like it so much. I want to add Song School Latin sometime too but I might wait until 2nd grade on that one.

I'm finalizing this right now, but it looks like it will be:

Bible: Telling God's Story

Grammar: FLL 1

Phonics: Memoria Press 1 & OPGTR

Spelling: AAS 1

Writing: WWE 1

Math: Right Start B & MM 1A/B

History: Finish SOTW 1 & Start SOTW 2 (up to chapter 18)

Science: GEMS science guides in Chemistry & Biology

Chemistry

Involving Dissolving

Secret Formulas

Liquid Explorations

Matter: Solids, Liquids & Gases

Biology

Ant Homes under the Ground

Terrarium Habitats

Music: Start piano lessons finally!

Guest Momlovesbooks

We are doing 1st grade right now. We are using:

Easy Classical Grade 1 with our State Study

Elemental Science Bio

FLL

Nature Study using the Handbook and blog

We start on the 10th. I suppose I ought to figure out what we're doing!

Our general philosophy is to do "content" together (Bible, history, science, memory work, etc.) and "skills" on an individual basis (grammar, writing, penmanship, math, etc.) The list looks crazy long. The first listed is our main curriculum, anything listed as "supplement" will be carefully drawn upon - We won't do everything, promise!

Here are my current thoughts:

Content:

Memory Work: Hymns, Genesis 1-2:4 (we're almost done with it, then Psalm 1), Nicene Creed, IEW Poetry, Catechism for Young Children

Morning Reading: Continue reading through Poetry books, finish The Burgess Bird Book. Maybe start the Burgess Animal Book (although I'm not sure I can stand it ... what says the Hive? Is it better than the Bird Book? Maybe I just don't like birds)

Bible: Covenantal Catechism supplemented with Bible Lessons for Juniors from Reformation Heritage books.

Spanish: El Espanol Facil Jr (supposedly we did this last year ... it may get dropped again this year)

History: MOH supplement with SOTW1

Science: God's Design for Life supplement with Elemental Science

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: Piano, Choir

Phys Ed: Gym, Soccer, Baseball

Skills

"Language Arts": FLL2 (we have a little bit of FLL1 to finish), WWE 1, McGuffey Readers & CLP Nature Readers (reading practice), Spelling Power

Penmanship: Cursive First

Math: MEP with MM supplement (mostly for when we're stuck and need more practice)

Latin: Prima Latina

Logic: Critical Thinking Activities then Lollipop Logic

Edited by ladydusk

I don't know yet, which is quite unusual! My son is "technically" in first this year, but because he's pretty young for his grade and he's just at the beginning of learning to read, I'm counting it as his K year. Next year will be 1st grade work. My youngest is advanced, so I'm hoping to be able to combine them somewhat.

So I've been looking at HOD's Little Hearts, since they have a K and a 1st grade option. But I really despise most formal preschool & K programs and did NOT like LHTH or MFW K, so I'm quite gun-shy. I want to focus on the 3 R's, definitely. Normally, they would just listen into big sis's history but she'll be in Modern Times, so I'm not sure how appropriate some of her 4th grade material would be. I've also thought about each being in their own math and LA and just adding in AO books, but I'm afraid without something a little more structured they will get neglected. :confused:

I've been using RS with my ds, who is quite mathy, but I'm thinking of using MEP with him, mostly just because I don't know if *I* can handle RS again...especially with also trying to attend to dd8, dd4 and the new little one.

I've really enjoyed First Start Reading from MP, so I'm not sure what we'll do when we finish that. I was just thinking today I might move him to CLE LA. But I'm concerned about the writing involved.

So, most everything is still up in the air, so I'll be :bigear: to what everyone else is doing! :)

Math: MM (starting 1A in January slowly, so wherever we end up)

LA: Maybe WWE1, FLL1 (waiting to get it to see if I like it) or GWG; Continue wherever she is with reading, start cursive at some point

Science: Biology (probably RSO or ES, but may throw my own together

History: Sister will be doing American, so I may just throw her into the mix with that; Maybe do a Galloping the Globe type thing

PE: dance and maybe soccer

Music: start piano lessons or buy Pianimals

Art: Either Atelier or Artistic Pursuits

My current first grader is using Sonlight Core 1 along with the rest of us, Core 2 readers, horizons math 1, spelling workout, FLL 1/2 and I Can Do All Things for art. My future first grader will be doing Sonlight Core 1-2, Core 1 readers, FLL 1, spelling workout, Horizons Math 1 and I Can Do All Things for art.

Here is what I'm hoping to use my my first grader. We will be starting up the second week of January. I haven't done any formal schooling with him yet.

Math: Right Start A, Math Mammoth and Zillio

Reading/Spelling: Reading Reflex with I See Sam readers

History: Read Alouds for the library

Science: Possibly Elemental Science Earth and Astronomy

Geography: Evan Moore Daily Geography or Beginning Geography

That's what I have so far!

Hmm, I'll be :lurk5: this thread. DD will be officially K age in a few weeks (school year starts end of Jan here) but I imagine I'll start to think of her as first grade around the middle of this year.

So far I have BFSU and wherever we are up to in Miquon/Singapore (currently orange and 1B) by then planned.

Also continuing with with violin and piano and if she decides not to continue with ballet we will add in choir or a co-op class.

We've been pretty eclectic in K and I imagine that we will continue to be. Also I anticipate next year being my toughest one for homeschooling because I will have a 22 month old and a 4yo along for the ride. :)

Math - MEP

Reading - RME/Progressive Phonics

Writing - WWE1

English - FLL1

All else - FIAR

We will also listen to SOTW 1 and follow any rabbit trails that peak our interest.

We will also take time out from FIAR to do some GEMS units for additional science. We supplement with a mix of games, computer learning, videos.

And I reserve the right to change my mind about any of it. :tongue_smilie:

We start 1st grade on Monday! Here's what we have lined up:

McRuffy SE Phonics along with LLATL and Pathway Reading

McRuffy Color Math with Moving with Math supplemental worksheets

McRuffy Science and Purposeful Design

History Odyssey Ancients level 1

various map/geography workbooks

various health books

several art books

First Favorites

LaClase Divertida

continuing Pianimals and starting recorder

DS moves up to 1st next month -- time does fly! He'll be doing ETC 5 - 7 , SM 2A - 2B, joining in with big sister for more American history read-alouds and crafts, continuing with piano, and co-op classes in reading, science, phys ed, and art. He also reads aloud to me each day.

My guy is in K and working on 1st grade work. We're halfway through right now.

Phonics Road 1,

Writing With Ease (taking 2 years to complete Level 1)

First Language Lessons,

Story of the World 1 (taking 2 years to complete Level 1)

Singapore & MEP Math,

R.E.A.L. Science (Life),

Elemental Science (Biology)

Galloping the Globe (Planning to take 2 or 3 years...taking our time) (newly added)

Harmony Fine Arts,

Artistic Pursuits

Suzuki Piano,

Read Write & Type,

Cursive First,

Pathway Readers,

Song School Latin (newly added)

and lots of read alouds.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231503

We finished Kindergarten last week. :thumbup1: We'll be starting in January 2011 with one First Grader and two preschoolers (twins). Here's our line-up:

First Grader -- will turn 6 in February

Math Mammoth Blue 1

Kumon Math

Story Time Treasures & More Story Time Treasures (finished OPG)

Guided Reading & Independent Reading

FLL 2 (grammar/mechanics only)

WWE 1

ZB Cursive

AAS 1 (& possibly 2)

Memory Work

Preschoolers -- will turn 4 in January

Evan Moor Math K

OPG Phonics

Beehive Readers

FLL 1 (oral lessons; e.g., birthday, address, phone number, family names)

Evan Moor Spelling K

ZB Printing

Memory Work

Together

Read Alouds -- Fairy & Folk Tales; Poetry; Picture Books; Chapter Books; Audiobooks

Geography -- Around the World + Beginning Map Skills

Bible -- Betty Lukens Bible Stories in Felt + Leading Little Ones to God + Character Building for Children

Girls' Club & Music -- Girls' Club for Doctrine + Sing the Word Scripture Memory Songs

Science (quarterly units) -- Human Body; Nature Study; Plants & Gardening; Ecology/Biomes

Handicrafts -- burlap embroidery; sew bean bags; sew sock dolls & doll clothes; make Christmas gifts & ornaments

Art -- coloring, painting, playing with clay & play dough, here's-some-tape-and-paper-what-will-you-do-with-it? :)

ds1 is an older k (6 in nov) so he is starting some first grade stuff in jan.

3rs

finish opg and keep reading (sonlight readers 2 and others)

start fll1 and wwe lightly (narration and copywork taken from what we read)

start mm1 (we just finished earlybird) (maybe look at miquon)

additional things including ds2 and ds3 to an extent

bible read bible stories and work on children's catechism as well as other scripture and creeds/hymns

science nature study based on a list of local flora and fauna...i'm hoping to incorporate basic drawing skills through a nature notebook of what we find

i'm still deciding on our lit/history path so for now i'll pick and choose from ao and other lists (nurserytales, poems, "classics")

geography children just like me and geopuzzles

spanish need to get going on this, i just ordered the easy spanish jr.

music ditto with my music theory and suziki books for piano

happy new year!

My first grader is using the following:

Phonics: OPG w/ETC and Happy Phonics

Math: MUS Alpha w/ Math Mammoth (1st grade) and Peggy Kaye Games for Math

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting

Little Hearts for His Glory

WinterPromise World Around Me for Science

Sonlight Core K readalouds

various resources for music and art

We're just starting homeschooling on Monday, and DS1 is halfway through first grade, so we'll be doing:

Math: Math Mammoth 1B, moving into 2A probably Feb or Mar, also throwing in MEP 2A and some Miquon

Science: Elemental Science - Intro to Science

History: Biblioplan Ancients at half pace

Reading: CLE Reading 100

Phonics: Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (going back and hitting the phonics he didn't really learn when learning to read)

Grammar: Rod & Staff English 2

Spelling: Rod & Staff Spelling 2

Writing: Writing With Ease 1

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears 1, copywork

Bible: Finish up the Bible curriculum he did at school (it was a 3-book set of workbooks that 2 families at the school put together, and he got to keep it when he left); there is a ton of Bible in our history also; and we're doing some morning Bible studies as a family using Anne Elliott's Foundations 1.

Art: Draw Write Now book 1

Music: Should be getting a piano very soon, and I've picked out My First Piano Adventures to start him out.

Wow, it seems like a lot when I type it all out, but in my schedule in HST+, math and LA will likely be done well before lunch, and then we just have history or science in the afternoon during nap times. Might tweak things after next week though! Oh, and I have a couple Spanish workbooks since he wants to learn Spanish, but I might get La Clase Divertida in another year or two (when DS2 is old enough to be able to also use it).

Edited by boscopup

My daughter is in 3rd now, but for 1st we used:

SL 1 (History, Science, Bible, readers, literature, but NO LA)

WWE 1 - 2 times per week

FLL 1/2 - 2 times per week

A Reason for Handwriting

SWR

RS B

Her day was very short and sweet and she had lots of time to play and do art projects. I used one of the Judy Press art books and she would tab all the project she was interested in doing. I would just get the supplies together for her and she would go to town creating for hours. She would also often use the Draw Write Now books while I was doing our SL reading.

I have happy memories of her early years in school because I'd already learned my lesson about overdoing things with my poor son.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

My son turns 6 in August, so not sure if we'll consider him K another year, or 1st grade....

Depending on where he finishes the year, it may be something like this:

Phonics Pathways and ETC

HWOT

FLL (hit or miss)

Math - maybe Singapore

History - we'll all be in Early Modern (hopefully!)

Science - LRAFO books and unschooled

Bible - We have all been doing BSF, so I'll have to decide whether he's ready to go to the night program as a 1st grader or stay in the day program as a K-er. Next year's study is Acts.

My oldest will be 6 this summer and we are beginning homeschooling her next autumn. My plans right now (though subject to change as I continue to learn about curriculum choices!):

Reading/Phonics: PR1, McGuffey's Eclectic Readers (daily)

History/LA: TOG Year 2/Units 3 and 4 (early American History) (daily)

Math: MM Blue 1 or Horizons 1 and supplement with Orange Miquon + rods (daily)

Science: Nothing formal, probably Usbournes Book of Science Experiments for some fun and a lot of time getting her hands in the dirt with our extensive gardens - we vermicompost, raise veggies, start lots from seed under grow lights inside, and 4 season garden. (no formal schedule)

Art: We're Catholic and follow the liturgical year with basic crafts with the kids. We will also supplement with some seasonal crafts from our many Waldorf books. (1x per week)

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Mandarin Level 1 assisted by grandma who is Chinese and speaks to DD solely in the language. (2x per week with me assisting)

Religion: She will begin CCD and attend Mass with me a few times per week. We also read daily from our Saint of the Day book and sometimes use Magnifikids weekly workbooks

PhysEd: Free play outside! She is also in year round swimming lessons and will probably take the leap into swim team 2x per week autumn 2011.

My 3 year old will be using I'm Ready To Learn by WP. We are using it loosely now and love it!

Edited by BBG580

Ariel is first grade aged, but we're just finishing up her first grade work and starting new stuff.

What we used:

Math: MEP1, Miquon, RSB

LA: Dancing Bears, WWE1, Zaner-Bloser Manuscript 1&2

History/Social Studies: SOTW1 w/activity guide

Science: Sonlight 1

Art: Atelier 1

Music: Piano lessons

PE: Irish dance, swimming, horseback riding

What we will be using, starting this month:

Math: MEP2, Miquon

LA: Dancing Bears, Apples & Pears Spelling, Oak Meadow 2nd grade

History/Social Studies: OM2

Science: OM2, maybe add BFSU

Art: OM2, Art Adventures at Home

Music: Bastien Piano Basics

PE: horseback riding, possibly swimming and/or Irish dance

I started HSing my 5yo last June after she finished preschool. I plan to start her on 1st grade with the new year. She's now 6 (Oct).

Reading - OPGTR (finishing last 1/4 of)

Math - RightStart Math Level B (finishing last 1/4)

Manuscript - D'Naelian Handwriting Level 1

Spelling - AAS Level 2

Grammar - FLL Level 1 (already started)

Writing - WWE Level 1 Workbook

Science - R.E.A.L Science - Life (already started)

PreHistory - UEAW + other evolution books (using SatoriSmiles.com lesson guide)

Ancient History - SOTW Level 1

Geography - Scholastic Success with Maps Level 1

Art - Meet The Masters & Draw Write Now

Latin - Song School Latin (thinking about it; don't want to do too much)

I also have her do Starfall.com online and the Level 1 workbook as filler, unscheduled.

I hope she's ready for 1st grade. I'm having her take the standard Kindergarten test at the public school in January just to help give me an idea of where she's at.

I have a 1st grader midway through her year here. She is doing:

Rod and Staff 1st grade reading, phonics, math, penmanship, and music. The penmanship and music are purely supplemental. She does copywork and letters for writing. R&S covers Bible.

Story of the World 3 w/older sis. Her focus is different from that of the 3rd grader.

Prima Latina, tagging along. She practices vocabulary and prayers, not grammar, no workbook.

Science: she does narrations and journal pages on her sis's chemistry experiments. I am about to start a little life science with her, and do a unit on reptiles (per her request. )

Art: Drawing with Children, What Your First Grader Needs to Know among other things.

Music: R&S at home along with units from What Your 3rd Grader Needs to Know and piano practice, Kinderbach at co-op

Memory: poetry, Bible verses, Latin Prayers, presidents

Extras: Dance and Scouts, and an American History class at co-op

I am praying about either HOD Beyond Little Hearts or going back to Abeka. (We did a lot of Abeka K5 last year.) Those are my two main contenders at the moment.

I look forward to having a minute to go back and read all these responses. :)

I think ds will finish OPGTR & most of the ETC books that I want to use before we officially start first grade in the autumn. I also think (but don't know) that we'll finish Right Start B and the first Miquon book before autumn.

Language Arts: Spelling Workout B, FLL Level 2, HWT Printing Power, WWE 2

Literature: good picture books, leveled readers, plus fiction to correspond with history

Mathematics: Miquon Red, Right Start C

History: SOTW 2 + AG & supplemental nonfiction

Science: first grade life science a la WTM (using The Natural World, DK First Animal Encyclopedia, Kingfisher Human Body Encyclopedia, & Incredible Plants as spines; Let's Read & Find Out, Rookie Read-About, and National Geographic books for additional reading)

Foreign Language: German w/ some friends, and possibly a Saturday school as well.

Fine Arts Appreciation: trips to the art museum, a few lessons from Art in Story that correspond to history, Sister Wendy DVDs, various books; The Story of Classical Music, Classical Kids podcast; weekly attendance at Master's Academy of Fine Arts

Fine Arts Skills: How to Teach Art to Children, maybe Drawing for Children; Music for Little Mozarts (at home, not w/ a teacher; I think I can manage this even though it's been years since I've done much playing).

I really need to get to work on picking supplemental reading for history & science both. :tongue_smilie:

You people make me feel like a total slacker! I'm busy having fun with Kindergarten, and figure I'll think about First Grade over the summer. I have a vague idea that I'll be doing ancient history next year, but I also might not.

It's interesting to see what you folks are doing, though!

We're halfway through 1st grade but starting a bunch of new things in Jan and Feb. Here's what I have planned for the remainder of the year:

LA: SWR, FLL2, WWE1, SL Readers 2 Int

Math: Singapore PM 3A, CWP 2, Miquon Blue/Green, Zaccaro's PCM

History/Geography/Literature: SL Core 1

Science: Noeo Chem 1

Art: I Can Do All Things

Latin: SSL

Critical Thinking: Critical Thinking K-3

Bible: SL Bible 1 + Vos's Bible

We are also mid-first grade.

We are doing:

BJU Math 1

Finishing Pathway Readers Learning Through Sounds Book 2 and Days Go By reader and Workbook, about to switch over to WinterPromise LA/Reading 1 (which uses Explode the Code 6, Right into Reading 2, and Step into Reading Step 3 readers, working up to easy chapter books).

Mastering First Grade Skills workbook

Pentime Handwriting

First Language Lessons

WinterPromise Adventures in the Sea and Sky Younger Learner Guide and Hideaways In History, over two years.

Current First Grader:

Reading: various books for oral reading (I read a page/ she reads a page). She finished Headsprout Reading comprehension, and we're going to do the second semester of R&S 2nd grade reading. (Did first half last year.) Free reading done during free time. :D

Handwriting: Reason for Handwriting C - I think. (manuscript)

Spelling: finishing up AAS 1, moving into 2 soon

Grammar: FLL 1/2

Writing with Ease 1

Right Start C

Horizons 2 math/ CWP 1 supplements (alternate)

REAL/ Mr. Q Life Science

homemade study of American history survey

Daily Geography 2/ listening to Hillyer's Child's Geography of the World/

Shepphard's software

memorizing poetry, Bible verses, and Apostle's Creed

Spanish: Salsa and Hop, Skip, and Sing

art with Grandma

Musikgarten piano, swim lessons, ballet, and soccer/ basketball/ softball

listening to lots of read alouds

Upcoming First Grader next year:

She's not at nearly the academic level that Anna is. She is just beginning to read a tiny bit. I'm still trying to figure out what works for her.

Reading: Ordinary Parent's Gude and ElizabethB's phonics lessons. Read various easy readers, Explode the Code, and probably Headsprout at some point.

Handwriting: either Handwriting Without Tears or Cursive First with big sister

Math: Right Start A. If it works. Right now we're doing Early Bird. Maybe Math Mammoth if RS isn't working well. Will also do math games and a calendar time probably.

Finish up Developing the Early Learner if we aren't done yet.

She'll take Musikgarten music class and gymnastics. And we'll do OT type work for fine motor and sensory integration. Not sure what they'll set up for her. Movement is a priority for her.

I will fold her into some of Anna's work, but honestly, I probably won't push it. She has a very low frustration tolerance, and I really want to put the effort into reading and math. She sits in on a lot of read alouds, and she'll be a part of some of our history and science and geography, but I won't quiz her or make that formal or much of it required. She will do Spanish with us. I'm not sure if we'll call it kindergarten or first grade. We're not going to do grammar or writing yet. She's not where I'd like her to be academically, but I guess many kids enter first grade not being good readers.

Guest RecumbentHeart

For math we have MM and will perhaps still be using MEP & he will probably still be working through either PP or OPG. For everything else the plan is currently Living Books Curriculum Grade 1.

For many things my 1st grader will join in with the others.

math: Saxon 2

handwriting: copywork

phonics/spelling: continue ETC and OPGTR

reading: Sonlight 2 readers

writing: WWE 1

grammar: FLL 1

For history I'm planning MFW RtR and will bring her in at her level for history and science, etc.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up to share what our plans are for First grade:

RightStart B

First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind

Writing With Ease

Explode the Code

Phonics Pathways

All About Spelling

A Reason for Handwriting

Artistic Pursuits

Tapestry of Grace Year 1 (Ancients)

Song School Latin (may wait to start this in 2nd grade)

Not sure about Science yet....checking out God's Design for Life, Elemental Science, etc. Definitely Biology a la WTM.

Edited by jewel7123

My DS will be an older 1st grader...he's doing lots of 1st this year. Next year we're planning on:

HOD Bigger--not 100% sure on this...I do like having DS work with DD when possible, but there is a bit more writing in this level.

Singapore Math--He's about to finish 1a, so we'll just continue along at his pace...probably finish 1b and 2a next year

ETC books 3 and 4

May start DITHOR with him next year...not for sure

Extras: HS co-op, gymnastics, piano (informal lessons at home)

I thought I had replied to this but I didn't see my post..so I must've missed it or something...

I will have a 1st grader next year and plan on doing.

• Math Mammoth LB 1B-2A
  • MoH Vol. 1 (Finish up where we left off)
  • Apologia Zoology 1
  • HWT 1
  • WWE 1
  • FLL 2
  • AAS 1 (Finish level 1, work into level 2)
  • HOP 1st
  • Geography (Road Trip USA)
  • Art (Dimension Crafts - Color and Paint by Numbers)

Well, I've changed my mind a good bit since I replied 6 weeks ago (and I can't edit that post?!).

Lit/Phonics/Handwriting: PR1, Veritas Press First Favorites 2x per week

Math: McRuffy Color Math and Orange Miquon

Geography: Evan Moor Beginning Geography K-2 and Expedition Earth

History: ToG Year 2/Units 3 and 4 half pace, heavy on the crafts and read alouds

Science: Seasonal Unit studies from Shining Dawn Books (very CMish)

PE: Swimming lessons and Tae Kwon Do once weekly each

Art/Music: Crafts from history and geography, no idea about music!

Religion: CCD begins, Saint of the Day, Mass a few times per week

Whew!

I have an older Ker, turns 7 in fall right after we start 1st:

CLE reading 2 and plenty of books for fun

BJU Spelling 1

Singapore Primary Math 2A & HOD math activities

HOD Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory for history, science, Bible, read-alouds & handwriting

Art Adventures at Home finishing level 1

Harmony Fine Arts gr. 1 art & music appreciation

Starting over the summer when it's too hot to go outside:

Song School Latin

Finish Flip-Flop Spanish level 1

maybe Elemental Science Intro to Science

Here's what I *think* we may use:

Bible - BJU

Math - continuing with BJU(?) and Horizons, with MEP and CWP.

Phonics/Reading - ETC, Brain Bank Readers and other readers we have

History - continue American History using Sonlight materials and other resources/projects I've gathered

Mine has since changed!! LOL!

Bible - BJU Bible Truths 1

Math - Singapore 2a/2b and Horizons 2/3 with CWP

Phonics/Reading - Readers that we have and I'm looking into BJU LA stuff, BJU Spelling

I'm also thinking about adding in more German

Anyone else make adjustments??

Edited by MissKNG

I thought I had a good handle on dd's first grade year coming up. I was going to go with WWE1, SOTW1, FLL1, etc, but I'm doubting this all right now. I don't think a classical approach is really right for us, and I'm starting to think that ancient history is best left for later grades. I recently bought the first volume of FIAR and am leaning toward going this route instead. So if I had to choose our curriculum right now, it would probably be:

FIAR (includes literature, art, social studies/geography, some limited science and math)

Science: local homeschooling weekly science group, nature walks and studies, maybe some Magic School Bus kits

PE: swimming, dance, gymnastics

Math: Math Mammoth

LA: Phonics Pathways, journal and story writing, word sorts, making words activities

Extra: theater, daisy scouts

Tons of read alouds

WDYT??

We are halfway through First Grade, and here's what's working for us. It may seem like a lot, but we only do 1-3 hours, 4 days a week. My daughter also loves her language arts, and currently is really digging typing and geography.

• Math - RightStart B, Math Mammoth Light Blue (mixing up 1A/1B), will start Singapore's CWP
  • Phonics Review - Explode the Code (finished 5-6, now working on 7-8); Beyond the Code 3-4; After these are done, we'll be finished with this subject for good.
  • Spelling - All About Spelling - finished up Level 3, starting Level 4
  • Grammar - Finished GWG1, Halfway through GWG2. Will start GWG3 later this spring so we can start diagramming! We burned out on FLL, but just last week we started picking up FLL2 again.
  • Writing - Write Source Grade 1, will start WS2 next month
  • Handwriting - HWT Cursive - just starting Grade 4 cursive
  • Typing - variety of software programs (she's so excited)
  • Vocabulary - Wordly Wise 2
  • History - Story of the World 1
  • Science - R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life
  • Languages - Elementary Spanish Grade 1, Song School Latin, some La Clase Divertida; We will slowly get into GSWL to get exposure to more meatier Latin before SSL ends.
  • Geography - She whips through geography workbooks, right now we're using MCP Maps, Charts, Globes Level C: Communities. We're also starting to do Core's blob idea mapping. She memorized (on her own) US States geography, so now we're going to start the entire world (all the countries of the world), using no particular program.
  • Art - Meet the Masters (for artist study), Artistic Pursuits (general art play), Mark Kistler's Online/Draw Right Now (drawing)
  • Logic - variety of logic workbooks (Logic Safari 1 currently); variety of logic games

When I posted earlier, I posted what my son was doing starting in January 2011. He is in K but doing 1st grade work.

Here is our line up for fall when he officially starts 1st grade:

WWE2

History Odyssey Ancients (2nd half)

Singapore 2A (spine)

MEP 2 (complete with Daddy)

Math Mammoth 2A (extra practice)

Meet The Masters

Expedition Earth (secularized)

FLL2

MCPb

OPG (finish it up)

Phonics Road 2

Pathway Readers/Elson?

Elemental Science Earth/Space OR Easy Classical Science Geology/Weather and Astronomy

R.E.A.L. Science Earth/Space

Latin For Children A

Handwriting/Copywork http://www.queenhomeschool.com/productpages/Cursive/cursiveframeset.html

Sonlight reading selections

...exploring starting Mandarin