Menu

Why we need to learn Spanish

jld

Yes.

I find it to be a uniquely American sentiment to not even WANT to communicate with people who speak a different language. :001_huh:

I understand more Spanish than I speak (mostly due to embarrassment of how my Spanish must sound to native speakers), but I DO make the effort. I wish more people could see the value in communicating with people in their own language.

I think it's a benefit to our country to have lots of people with lots of different second languages. It wouldn't be a good idea to have any language be the only one taught. So his suggesting that everyone would be better off learning Spanish just seems silly.

I do get more use out of the little Spanish I know than the bit of Chinese I've learned -- currently. But that could change. Maybe it's more important that people have ways to learn new languages as adults. As their needs change, they could pick up another language rather than just being stuck with the one they learned in high school.

If I want to learn another language now, about my only option is the internet or checking something out of the library (or paying a lot to take a college course). Our community offers a lot of classes in English, but the few that are offered in other languages don't amount to much beyond teaching me how to order a meal when I travel.

I do think learning a foreign language well enough to read it well and get by speaking it is a life enriching activity. It gives you a window into another way of framing the world. But it's hard to achieve that level of mastery unless you have lots of opportunities to actually use the language. Spanish is everywhere in the US (bilingual directions/ingredient lists, TV stations, radio, bilingual signs, etc.) so you can practice without having to seek out your target language. It's much easier to visit Mexico or the DR than to go to China. Plus, Spanish is much easier to learn because of the shared Latin vocabulary and similar grammar. I think Nicholas Kristof is right.

I agree that people should learn languages. Spanish seems an obvious choice, since it makes a lot of sense in areas with a large hispanic population (although it would not be of any practical advantage in a small town in the Midwest.)

I think, however, that - Spanish or not- everybody should learn at least one foreign language, because studying another language and culture shifts the perception and makes a person aware that there are other cultures and peoples and that the own country is not the center of the universe, a sentiment that I sense quite often in the US.

As for Chinese: it certainly is an important language spoken by many people - but it also is a fad. It's the flavor of the day. It would be easier, and certainly also beneficial, for English speakers to study a European language that is a little more closely related to English. Before it's "Chinese or nothing", why not settle for a solid knowledge of French, or German - or Spanish.

Or, heaven forbid, Spanish AND Chinese - if, as it is done in other countries, foreign language education begins in third grade, children can easily become fluent in two foreign languages.

I agree. But, there needs to be more than just a semester here and a semester there. There should be conversational spanish, not just vocabulary. It's true that the economic struggle was relatively easy on Latin America--I was actually expecting more of a problem.

Mandarin is a great language to learn, but, most kids will grow up in an America with a lot of Spanish speakers and it makes more sense to learn Spanish.

Learning ANY second language is a HUGE benefit and it is so interesting to me that America just doesn't seem to think it is all that necessary. My ahma went to school for exactly TWO years (when she was 6 and 7 years old). She cannot read or write. But she can speak 5 languages fluently.

In my school EVERY SINGLE STUDENT who is NOT from the U.S. speaks more than one language. I even have kindergarten students that speak 2 and 3 languages.

It has just always seemed arrogant to me that so many Americans see no value in a second language. :confused:

Learning ANY second language is a HUGE benefit and it is so interesting to me that America just doesn't seem to think it is all that necessary. My ahma went to school for exactly TWO years (when she was 6 and 7 years old). She cannot read or write. But she can speak 5 languages fluently.

In my school EVERY SINGLE STUDENT who is NOT from the U.S. speaks more than one language. I even have kindergarten students that speak 2 and 3 languages.

It has just always seemed arrogant to me that so many Americans see no value in a second language. :confused:

I suspect this is simply because of personal experience. I mean, I took 2 years of French in high school and I know very little French and certainly can't speak it. To me, that means that was time wasted. I have heard many people on this board state again and again that they have been unable to get their child to any level of fluency in a second language despite all their efforts. I believe that is one of the reasons SWB recommends Latin over a living language in the early years. I have even heard people who are fluent in a second language say they cannot get their children to speak it.

Do these children that you know who speak 2 or 3 languages have access to others who speak the language on a regular basis? I believe there must be something integrally different in their experience that they are able to acquire 2 or 3 languages at that young age.

Honestly, I hardly think it's about arrogance.

Lisa

ETA: My kids are learning Spanish, albeit it slowly. We are using La Clase Divertida and I just bought the next 2 levels since the company was having a great sale. My daughter is so excited about learning Spanish, she tries to speak it to all her friends. It was quite a surprise that the little girl who attends public school is learning Spanish with all her classmates as well and has been since kindergarten. When I was in school, that was never an option until at least middle school.

Edited by LisaTheresa

Also, going back to the article, why would more and more American retire in Latin America when the conditions are so horrific that people are willing to risk their lives on a daily basis to enter the U.S. illegally? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Honestly, I hardly think it's about arrogance.

Lisa

\

I agree. I don't think it's arrogance. I'm also not convinced that all those kids in schools in Europe really know the languages they're supposed to know. When I was in Europe, there were kids trying to practice their English on us, which was fine, except all they knew was "hello, how are you and what's your name?" The people who knew English with any sort of fluency had had some experience other than just sitting in a classroom with it.

I would practice my Spanish more, but the people around me who speak Spanish would prefer to speak English (they need the practice, they say) or I'm just not part of their social scene. The dominant language in the US is English, and it's pretty hard to break out of that to learn another language, even when there are people around who speak something other than English.

FWIW -- even Spanish speakers I know don't know Spanish terribly well. Many can speak it, because their parents spoke it, but they can't read or write it because they went to school here in the US. They can't even read simple kids books without a struggle. (And Spanish is a pretty phonetic language!) A French family in our neighborhood has had to struggle to get their kids to do any reading in French. I'm not sure they've been terribly successful at it. And there are kids in immersion schools around here, but even there I'm not sure they're really learning the language as well as they would if they were immersed in the actual culture.

As for Chinese: it certainly is an important language spoken by many people - but it also is a fad. It's the flavor of the day.

I understood what you were saying in context (though I might disagree). That said, the above looks very funny standalone.

Also, going back to the article, why would more and more American retire in Latin America when the conditions are so horrific that people are willing to risk their lives on a daily basis to enter the U.S. illegally? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Lisa

I assume that if one is living on a retirement check it's easier getting by than having to earn a living at the wages that one can get in some of these countries.

I've enjoyed learning Chinese more than Spanish, just because it is SO different.

And while it is true that becoming truly literate in Chinese would take a lot of work, in some ways Chinese is way easier than Spanish. There is the tone issue, but I suspect this may be easier for some people than others. Some people just naturally reproduce the tones they hear in any language. The characters are a challenge for writing, but reading is easier than it might at first seem. A lot of English reading is done by "whole word" reading anyway, which is pretty much the same idea.

Nope. I do think kids should at least try to learn one; if nothing else it helps with English grammar in the same way learning base 8 helps one to understand base 10.

However, I think which language kids should learn depends on their family, their location, and their life goals. Sure, Spanish is an obvious choice in many areas of our country. However, in northern Maine, other parts of New England, and in Louisiana, French is the most obvious choice. In Madawaska, for example, if you want to play bingo at the local Catholic church, you had better know your French numbers! The vast majority of the population there speaks French at home.

French is also the language of the fashion industry. Other industries favor other language choices. In addition, many children in the US have cultural ties to other languages; we are, after all, a nation of immigrants. Learning the language of one's heritage can be a great way to connect one's family history.

As usual, one size does not fit all.

I agree. I don't think it's arrogance. I'm also not convinced that all those kids in schools in Europe really know the languages they're supposed to know. When I was in Europe, there were kids trying to practice their English on us, which was fine, except all they knew was "hello, how are you and what's your name?" The people who knew English with any sort of fluency had had some experience other than just sitting in a classroom with it.

Guess how I learned English well enough to be able to move to an English speaking country and work, using the language daily in my job? In a European school. Not taking classes for two years, but for TEN years.

Needless to say that my English improved while I have been living here - but what I acquired in school was enough to live and work alongside native speakers.

Lisa

The same reason why those illegal immigrants leave their families behind, work in the US for years earning money, then travel back to Mexico on a plane and live far better than they could have otherwise.

Retirees can live very well in Latin America because their American dollars stretch farther. They won't be living in the poverty that that the illegals are escaping from.

I understood what you were saying in context (though I might disagree). That said, the above looks very funny standalone.

I was referring to the trend that every gifted child is supposed to take Chinese, that parents start their kids on Chinese in preschool age (it used to be baby swimming or suzuki violin). THAT is the fad. Not the language itself, of course. But Chinese being hyped as the solution for underchallenged students, superior brain development - you name it.

I mean, I took 2 years of French in high school and I know very little French and certainly can't speak it. To me, that means that was time wasted.

But the fallacy lies in believing that two years of language instruction are sufficient for any level of fluency. Two, or even four years, is nothing and that should have been clear form the outset.

A language needs to be studied for many years if school is the only exposure (I am talking about 8-10 years). The only other way to fluency is immersion with native speakers - which is what multilingual families do, or what is accomplished by moving to a country with a different language environment. A couple of hours daily with a native speaker will lead to proficiency much quicker.

I had no idea learning Chinese was a major trend, LOL! But it's a tonal language and it seems to me it would take intensive study on a daily basis for many, many years to learn it properly. Even then, regional accents could wreak havoc with the tonality.....

Yes, I think it's important to learn Spanish because of where our country is moving in terms of its population. Folks living in the Mediterranean region during ancient times generally all spoke 2-3 languages. If we're living with a mixed culture, I think we should know something about the language of any majorities within that culture. I think that's typical of most countries that contain two or more major cultures.

My children have both taken Spanish since K. That doesn't mean that they're necessarily proficient in it, as they're not immersed in it or speaking it every day. But it does mean that it's not something totally foreign to them, either, and that when they do experience it (signage, etc.), or if it does become more prevalent within our culture (or necessary in their jobs, etc.), it will be easier for them to segue into it....

No, google translate will not make learning languages obsolete.

I can not imagine having a personal conversation with a human being typing things into a translating device- would be hard to forge an emotional connection or friendship. (I do see a place for computer translators for the exchange of naked facts and technical data.)

And original literature just is not the same when translated (and certainly not when computer translated - it takes an extremely skillful person to do that well).

Well, my dh would agree with the article. Every time he comes home from a trip to Miami or Mexico he declares, "I *have* to learn Spanish!" He's usually in a tourist city in Mexico, so there are many English speakers. But this last time he was not in a tourist city and it was an adventure just to get dinner. ;)

Both Chinese and Spanish are regional languages. It simply makes sense to focus more on the languages of your own region rather than those of another. I've thought the Chinese fad was unfortunate for a long time, if only because it's hard to get Americans to learn even one other language. I'd far rather that language be Spanish.

There are, of course, plenty of exceptions to this, but I think it's a good general rule.

To answer the OP, no I don't agree that all US students should learn Spanish. I think that each state should choose a couple of languages (whatever makes sense for them) and then require students to study one of those languages all the way through school, K-12, as a real academic subject with a real teacher.

• Like 1

Both Chinese and Spanish are regional languages. It simply makes sense to focus more on the languages of your own region rather than those of another. I've thought the Chinese fad was unfortunate for a long time, if only because it's hard to get Americans to learn even one other language. I'd far rather that language be Spanish.

Hm... around here, I'm more likely to hear Chinese than Spanish on a daily basis (which in some ways is unfortunate, since I'm fluent in Spanish). When I walk into my dd's ballet studio, I'm just as likely to overhear a conversation in Mandarin as English.

The city 10 minutes from me has the largest Khmer-speaking population outside of Phnom Penh.

Not that there aren't lots of Spanish-speaking people around as well, but I have far less call to use my Spanish than I'd like, actually... a looong time ago when we briefly had a cleaning service, much of the staff couldn't speak English well enough to communicate in it - but they all spoke Portuguese, so my Spanish was only minimally useful.

I do think all Americans - heck, all people - should learn at least one language other than their own.

and then require students to study one of those languages all the way through school, K-12, as a real academic subject with a real teacher.

I remember when I was in high school, the school decided that the history teacher (who didn't know spanish) had to teach spanish because they were short a teacher.

Lisa

The conditions are horrific for people living in poverty, not for retired Americans with money.

Honestly I've never seen the benefit of Spanish. Sure, lots of people speak it in the US, but do I interact with those people? Nope. So Spanish makes no sense for me to learn. (although I did learn it when I was kid and used it a little when I lived in California).

But for the past decade I've live in an area where there are really no other languages being spoken other than English. Does that make me lazy or arrogant?

The plain and simple truth is this: English is the language of the world. Call that arrogant, call that whatever you want. But it is the truth. There is a REASON Europeans have to learn more than one language and that's because they have a harder time getting by on just one.

Americans don't have that problem.

Hate us for it. Call us names. Whatever. English rules the planet right now and Americans happen to speak English - but I'm sure there's a group out that that think this is some sort of conspiracy theory against non-English speakers.

Making Spanish mandatory because people who speak Spanish are flooding into the country really doesn't sound like good sound advice to me. In fact it reeks of political correctness.

If you want to learn another language do so. If not, don't. Who cares?

I think at least one second language should be a mandatory course in public school. I think which one it is should depend on where the school is and on their staffing. Frankly, any second language can be useful somewhere. And having learned one, it's going to be easier to learn another later in life.

Also, I think people denigrate "book-learning" more than they should. Sure, by itself it's not fluency. But it's a good stepping-stone to fluency. It can give you the basics you need to feel comfortable stepping into a community of native speakers and really getting the experience you need.

Finally, it's not a horrible thing to be identifiable as an English speaker who knows some of a second language. I don't know about you, but whenever I'm talking to someone with imperfect English (and I live in a town with a university that attracts a lot of international students, so it happens frequently), I'm impressed that they know as much as they do , and I try to help them with words when they need it. And, honestly, when I've been that person (speaking my second language), I've found native speakers very kind and helpful, prompting me with words when I need it.

I guess what I'm saying is that communication doesn't have to be perfect in order to be communication. Fluency may be (and should be) the goal, but being semi-proficient still opens a lot of doors of goodwill and understanding, IME.

I think at least one second language should be a mandatory course in public school. I think which one it is should depend on where the school is and on their staffing.

:iagree: Later on, it should reflect one's individual interest, cultural leanings, and plans for the future. Frankly, the push for everyone to learn Spanish irks me.

Edited by Mejane

Honestly I've never seen the benefit of Spanish. Sure, lots of people speak it in the US, but do I interact with those people? Nope. So Spanish makes no sense for me to learn. (although I did learn it when I was kid and used it a little when I lived in California).

But for the past decade I've live in an area where there are really no other languages being spoken other than English. Does that make me lazy or arrogant?

The plain and simple truth is this: English is the language of the world. Call that arrogant, call that whatever you want. But it is the truth. There is a REASON Europeans have to learn more than one language and that's because they have a harder time getting by on just one.

Americans don't have that problem.

Hate us for it. Call us names. Whatever. English rules the planet right now and Americans happen to speak English - but I'm sure there's a group out that that think this is some sort of conspiracy theory against non-English speakers.

Making Spanish mandatory because people who speak Spanish are flooding into the country really doesn't sound like good sound advice to me. In fact it reeks of political correctness.

If you want to learn another language do so. If not, don't. Who cares?

Seriously? You win the myopic award today.

Spanish is the official or de facto language in at least 20 countries. Can you count how many countries can say that about English?

Well as a Spanish teacher, of course I agree with the columnist!

My husband is German and while living in the U.S. for close to 20 years has obviously improved his fluency, he initially came over here speaking English as well as most Americans, and his French is fluent enough that when in Canada he is often mistaken for being French. His siblings and friends from Germany speak 2nd and 3rd languages equally well, so anecdotally from what I have seen the Germans seem to do a pretty good job educating their children in foreign languages. He did also study Latin extensively in school FWIW. Speaking Spanish would greatly benefit him in his occupation however, and I know he would like to learn.

I'm not sure that even the writer agrees! From his NYT bio:

Mr. Kristof and Ms. WuDunn are the parents of Gregory, Geoffrey and Caroline. Mr. Kristof enjoys running, backpacking, and having his Chinese and Japanese corrected by his children.

Or maybe it is a another case of 'do as I say and not as I do'

I agree that everyone should know at least one foreign language, but I don't agree that it should be Spanish. Those who have their children studying Chinese know that businesses are looking for Chinese speakers and that's probably not going to change anytime soon. With the rising Hispanic population, knowing Spanish as a second language may not be the advantage that this author implies. A business owner would be more likely to hire the person who has spoken both Spanish and English since birth anyway. There's already a huge supply of Spanish speakers in this country and many of them speak English too. (If they don't, somebody should be writing articles telling them to learn English, but that's another topic!)

My own children are learning German and my oldest is fluent. He has been to Germany and found that he could get around anywhere in Europe with his German speaking ability. Also, he's an engineering student and now has the opportunity to study at a German engineering school. He also is interested in Arabic, which is a language that could open up many opportunities and government positions for him. I don't think we all need to rush to learn Spanish, although it can't hurt if someone is interested in that. If they want to learn another language, I think that's a great idea too.

I suspect this is simply because of personal experience. I mean, I took 2 years of French in high school and I know very little French and certainly can't speak it.

This is because language instruction in American schools is generally ineffective. Two years of a language in high school is generally not going to produce a fluent speaker. If Americans wanted bilingual kids, we'd start teaching languages earlier and more intensively.

I agree with the author of the article. A friend of mine recently told me that he is learning Mandarin because China is eventually going to take over the US, and the people who already know Chinese will be safer and benefit more. And he believes this! I know that China is a rising economic power, but I don't believe at all that they will be taking over the US in my lifetime or the lifetimes of my children ...

And no matter how great an economic power they become, for most Americans, knowing Chinese will have no practical benefit. Not that I believe everything we learn has to have practical benefit; I am all for education for education's sake. But with my children, if I am going to invest the time and effort of studying a language, I want it to be useful to them. If it's not, they won't retain it. I am someone who has studied four languages. I was most fluent (after English) in Flemish. It was practical when I lived in Belgium but has no practicality here. I have no one to practice with, and I have lost most of it. The European friends I have who have remained fluent in languages they studied in school have done so because they continue to use the languages. The ones they studied and no longer use (such as Latin, unfortunately), they lose most of.

I guess I'd say learn whatever language tickles your fancy, but don't expect too much to come of it if it won't be practical for you.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
typo

With the rising Hispanic population, knowing Spanish as a second language may not be the advantage that this author implies.

With the rising Hispanic population, knowing Spanish as a second language is becoming more important, not less. Believe it or not, they value businesses working with them in their own language. Businesses want more and more to find English/Spanish bilingual people to hire.

I agree with the article. I think it would be advantageous for elementary schools to teach English and Spanish side by side from kindergarten on and a third language can be added like we add in a second language now. In junior high you can start taking Mandarin or German or French or whatever you wish. Then by graduation you can know Spanish and English well and a third language somewhat.

Second language learning helps tremendously in learning a third language. The more languages you know, the easier it is to add another language. My very limited Spanish instruction has helped me tremendously in a pursuit to learn Turkish. And Spanish and Turkish aren't related languages.

Honestly, I think learning Spanish would be more helpful to the majority of Americans than knowing algebra or geometry or advanced science. Why we don't push harder for it, I have no idea.

:iagree: 100%. It is a very, very narrow and superioristic view of the world that produces that kind of arrogance.

Learning multiple languages is highly beneficial. As for Spanish specifically... I think it will depend upon where you live as to whether that would be the most beneficial language to learn.

The author kinda lost me at "Spanish may not be as prestigious as Mandarin..."

Seriously, learning a language for appearance or keeping up with the Joneses?? Ugh.

However, I'm also not a fan of learning to speak whatever language belongs to the largest population of immigrants, legal or illegal. The French (and other European nations) complain about Americans coming to their country and not knowing their language--French. They don't complain that we haven't picked up on all the middle eastern languages so that we can keep up with the influx of Muslim peoples to their nation.

Learn the language of a culture that interests you. Or don't. I don't think people should be forced to learn a language beyond a basic requirement that may spark that interest.

Um.. what a weird article! I've never heard the 'Chinese' thing before.

I disagree with the notion that every individual in the world, or no wait, the accusation is only against Americans, should know more than one language. Funny how I think that attitude is pompous, while others are accusing me of being pompous for not needing or wanting to know another language.

I do think learning a foreign language well enough to read it well and get by speaking it is a life enriching activity. It gives you a window into another way of framing the world. But it's hard to achieve that level of mastery unless you have lots of opportunities to actually use the language. Spanish is everywhere in the US (bilingual directions/ingredient lists, TV stations, radio, bilingual signs, etc.) so you can practice without having to seek out your target language. It's much easier to visit Mexico or the DR than to go to China. Plus, Spanish is much easier to learn because of the shared Latin vocabulary and similar grammar. I think Nicholas Kristof is right.

:iagree:

I grew up in Cali and you had to be able to roll your r's just to pronounce your address most of the time so I could simi translate most basic signs and things before ever taking it at school :D

I know! Many times when giving directions, I'll pronounce the street names twice, once properly and once Anglicized, to make sure the other person knows what I'm talking about!

LOL - this is why Spanish and German are mandatory in my homeschool. It's what the staff can teach. :lol:

Heh. Ditto for Spanish here. Though if we do branch out to Latin, I'll be learning right along with them!

(Spanish also makes the most sense for the area, but I'm very glad we don't have to outsource it - yet!)

The conditions are horrific for people living in poverty, not for retired Americans with money.

Okay, I guess I was just under the impression that it was about so much more than poverty alone, like widespread corruption among the police, and a lack of good hospital care.

Lisa

I think the original article misses the point on learning languages greatly.

First-all students in the US should learn English first and learn it properly-not with slang and text speak being considered acceptable. We are rapidly becoming a country whose primary language is being spoken better and more fluently by foreigners who have learned it as a second (or third) language.

Second-Learning additional languages is important. Learning them from native speakers, from fluent instructors, with as many sources in the original language as possible is important. Unfortunately many schools seem to mess up the tools and methods actually needed by a student. Languages take many years. This is a 4+ year commitment at minimum. We also need to realize that learning languages is difficult-children will have to work hard, the classes shouldn't be dumbed down.

Third-There is no rule book that says Spanish must be the language. That is silly. There are many languages that might be more regionally important. There should also be consideration given to how the student intends to use this language in the future. Certain languages lend themselves to different disciplines. Had my parents chosen Spanish as a primary language for me due to some ease or popularity issue I would never have benefited as much as I have from the others I have studied. Spanish would have been useful for 6 hours on my one trip to Mexico.

We can moan about the need for extra languages all we want but until Americans are willing to buckle down and put in the work that students in other countries do the debate is almost useless. (And that is before we get to the restrictions and limitations the unions place on teachers that hamper the learning process.)

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst