Menu

Would you give fever reducer to temp of 102?

Ahhh, yeah, I would.

Okay, you above posters please explain why you would withhold medicine for a sick kid.

Carrie said it well - the fever is there for a purpose - it helps fight off the infection. When you bring the fever down with medication, it alleviates the symptoms, but actually keeps your body from fighting the infection with the fever.

And, then, I always figure if my kids are not feeling well with a fever that they need to be lying down and resting. When I give them medication, they are up and playing. I figure that can't be good for them!

Carrie said it well - the fever is there for a purpose - it helps fight off the infection. When you bring the fever down with medication, it alleviates the symptoms, but actually keeps your body from fighting the infection with the fever.

And, then, I always figure if my kids are not feeling well with a fever that they need to be lying down and resting. When I give them medication, they are up and playing. I figure that can't be good for them!

This is my take on it too. I prefer to let the fever do its job.

I medicate when my dd is feverish. For us, that means when she is displaying physical symptoms of fever-flushed cheeks, glassy eyes, "punky" behavior. For my little one, the number on the thermometer is frequently not helpful, i.e., her temp is 102.5 and she's okay vs. her temp. is 101 and she's classically feverish.

:iagree:

This is what I've been doing since yesterday morning (5:30 am). He has no other symptoms except he says his limbs feel heavy. I medicated him when I went to bed b/c I wouldn't be able to monitor him.

He is not uncomfortable. He's been drinking lots of chamomile tea. He's watching lots of Andy Griffith and napping.

It went down to 99 this morning but is 102 again.

No, we don't use OTC or prescriptions and would not want to reduce a fever since the body raises its temp to heal.

We use homeopathy (pellet in water, give 1 tsp each time based on need) so I will give whichever remedy makes sense - Belladonna, Gelsemium, or any one of the others based on her symptoms. This week this worked best for dd who had a fever, sore throat, didn't want to get out of bed, no energy to left her drink, etc. In one day she was better! I am taking it now since I felt the sore throat two days ago, but have not succumbed to the same virus. These are not fever reducers but remedies that help her body figure out how to heal itself faster.

We also use food based supplements, so I took 2 Tsp per day of Fermented Cod Liver Oil instead of 2 ml. This gives about 20,000 IUs (or more) of D3 and more of A. I am also taking 2 Tsp. per day Acerola Powder when I remember.

Edited by girligirlmom

This is what I've been doing since yesterday morning (5:30 am). He has no other symptoms except he says his limbs feel heavy. I medicated him when I went to bed b/c I wouldn't be able to monitor him.

He is not uncomfortable. He's been drinking lots of chamomile tea. He's watching lots of Andy Griffith and napping.

It went down to 99 this morning but is 102 again.

Awww. Poor kid. It's no fun being sick, but it's especially not fun over the holidays. Sounds like he's doing well. I'd wait and monitor and keep pushing the fluids if it were my child.

Oh - and we also medicate at night. I figure they really need their sleep to get better too.

Old wives' tale.

Give him the fever reducer. Otherwise if it goes up a degree or two you've got a problem.

Actually, you don't risk brain damage (the only real risk of a high fever) until you get closer to 107 or 108. And the fever's purpose is to raise the body's temp higher than that in which the "bug" thrives, thereby killing it and making you better.

Actually, you don't risk brain damage (the only real risk of a high fever) until you get closer to 107 or 108. And the fever's purpose is to raise the body's temp higher than that in which the "bug" thrives, thereby killing it and making you better.

I have one child who used to run fevers regularly at 105. We once rushed him to the ER for 106.3. At the ER, they were MUCH calmer than I thought they would be. They wanted the fever down, but they weren't thinking about brain damage or anything like that at all.

Depends on the child. Is he/she acting sick or terribly uncomfortable? I really watch the behavior before deciding.

I also have one who is prone to fever seizures. I watch him like a hawk and medicate more frequently than I like.

This exactly. I used to be much more conservative about medicating for fevers, but a febrile seizure is pretty terrifying and I'd be happy to never see one again.

If the child is very uncomfortable, yes.

Otherwise, I'd let the fever serve its purpose, which is to combat the illness.

This.

I do have one child that seems to get febrile seizure, though, so I watch his fevers closely.

I hope your little one is feeling better soon! Being sick sucks. :(

I don't reduce unitl 103-104 (the dr's say that all measurements are 1 degree lower than anal temp so add a degree for mouth and ear and underarm. I will treat at nightime, though, because I figure they need sleep to get better and I need sleep to take care of them, but in the day....let it burn until 104. lots of fluids and watch them carefully. I also find that a good burn day can cut the actual days of illness in half.

Lara

One thing I've learned this year is to keep the fever down if there are any breathing concerns along with it. My son had a low fever (I don't remember... 100-101, I guess) and his breathing was really rough. At the doctor, they gave him a breathing treatment and said he had an ear infection. They mildly chastised me for not giving him meds for the fever because that causes faster breathing which exasperated the problem.

This is the kid who was running around the waiting room playing with toys like he was perfectly fine!

Generally, I don't give anything unless they aren't feeling good.

I used to avoid giving any medication whatsoever. Then, after having the flu myself once, and seeing the tremendous relief from bone/joint pain/chills that I got from using Tylenol, I have changed my thinking on that. If my child has a fever and they don't feel well, I give them medication.

Lisa

My son runs a naturally high temp...not unusual for him to have a 105 temp. I have rushed him to the ER several times thinking that the fever needed to be reduced immediately and that something was horribly wrong. Each time, I was shocked by the outcome...it took me like 2 or 3 times over the last 10 years to finally be comfy with the idea of not giving a fever reducer strickly just for a high temp.

The body needs the higher temp to do its job when sick.

Now, if he was really uncomfy or if there was any other symptoms other than the fever, then yes, I would medicate. 106 is my breading point though, I cant help but to freak out after that.

Old wives' tale.

Give him the fever reducer. Otherwise if it goes up a degree or two you've got a problem.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003090.htm

Fever is an important part of the body's defense against infection. Most bacteria and viruses that cause infections in people thrive best at 98.6 °F. Many infants and children develop high fevers with minor viral illnesses. Although a fever signals that a battle might be going on in the body, the fever is fighting for the person, not against.

Brain damage from a fever generally will not occur unless the fever is over 107.6 °F (42 °C). Untreated fevers caused by infection will seldom go over 105 °F unless the child is overdressed or trapped in a hot place.

To answer the original question, I do if the child is unhappy or uncomfortable. If not, then no, I let them rest and watch TV and push fluids and bits of nutritious foods. My girls are like another poster's: My oldest is miserable if she hits 100. My youngest had a temp of 102 last week and you would never have known it!

Edited by melissel

Around 102, definitely... at that temp, my kids are too uncomfortable to rest comfortably, which doesn't help them heal. During my conversations with the ped...over 101, the fever isn't really doing anything but making the child uncomfortable.

I don't usually medicate at 101 or lower, because then they "feel and act normal" -- which usually makes them even more sick.

I say this, as my son (who vomited for 12 hours straight yesterday, with no fever) just received a dose of "tylenol" -- after being unmedicated all morning. He said like he was so hot he was, "going to turn into a fire ball," and his head ached so much it was, "going to explode." He was at least 102...but the kids broke my thermometer, so I don't know for certain.

He is now resting comfortably (sleeping soundly), with a "be kool" patch on his head as well.

I have never heard of doing that - what do you do and how does it work?

Thanks! :)

Cat

you can google it. i have no idea why it works honestly. i wrap their feet in soaked handkerchiefs (dipped in whipped egg whites) & it reduces the fever. i do keep ibuprofen in the house too, but that's a last resort, as the lukewarm bath and/or egg whites usually work.

Old wives' tale.

Uhm... what? I know some of us here are Old Wives ;), but fever related to the body fighting off an illness is no Tale.

102 can go either way for me. If my little one is achy and cranky and generally punky, then I'll medicate at 102. Otherwise, I'll tuck them on the couch with a movie and plenty of cool water and let the fever do it's job.

No. At that point the fever is doing its good work in the body, so we have the child rest and sip water continuously. I only treat fevers that are 103 or so.

:iagree:This is my view too--I try to treat a fever only when it's really high, or when it's causing other major discomfort.

Thanks. I feel differently about it, but I can see the why of your perspective.

during the daylight hours?

Thanks

Depends.

If it is Dd and my youngest Ds... I start medicating at 100.5. They tend to get fevers spiking over 105+ without warning (they can go from no fever to 105 in less than an hour) and not come down with meds easily. I am proactive with their fevers. I just don't take chances with them.

Usually with these two, I give them tylenol when a fever hits 101.0. If the fever goes up then I will give them motrin an hour after tylenol. Then I alternate every 3 hours with tylenol then motrin (so either medication is given every 6 hours between doses).

Occassionally it doesn't work and we take a trip to ER where they will give another dose of something dependent upon what/when I have already given.

My other kids, I generally start the medicating when they get 102 fevers.

My kids and I normal body temps are usually around 97.0 so I guess if we have a temp around 100 it would be closer to 102 for others. When youngest Ds gets a fever of 101 he goes crazy. He can be "playing" one minute and the next in tears and hitting himself (he is dx with autism spectrum).

Edited by AnitaMcC

No. At that point the fever is doing its good work in the body, so we have the child rest and sip water continuously. I only treat fevers that are 103 or so.

Yikes. When I had the flu the other year, I was getting 101-102 and that made me cry because it HURT so much (muscle aches mainly - comes with fever) and I felt AWFUL... I can't even imagine having to go to 103 before being able to get any medication. :001_huh:

Yikes. When I had the flu the other year, I was getting 101-102 and that made me cry because it HURT so much (muscle aches mainly - comes with fever) and I felt AWFUL... I can't even imagine having to go to 103 before being able to get any medication. :001_huh:

But a fever due to the flu and a fever from a common cold are going to feel different. My son's had a 102 fever from an ear infection and neither the fever nor the ear stopped him for a second!

you can google it. i have no idea why it works honestly. i wrap their feet in soaked handkerchiefs (dipped in whipped egg whites) & it reduces the fever. i do keep ibuprofen in the house too, but that's a last resort, as the lukewarm bath and/or egg whites usually work.

Thanks! :001_smile:

That is very cool. I'm going to look it up!

Cat

I've asked him all day long if he hurts or is uncomfortable. He said no. He laughed a lot at the movies.