Menu

Have you ever handed part of a gift back to someone...

Yes, very rude.

The rudest gift giving moment I've had is when we gave someone a box of chocolates (nice chocolates, ones that I love and my kids and we would have enjoyed) and he announced loudly to his wife, "great, hey look <insert name> we've been given MORE chocolate...just what we needed"! It was said in such a snarky tone. I don't he meant to be that rude. I wanted to take the chocolates back right then and there! LOL

Maybe one of her kids mentioned to people how much they like hot chocolate and she's really been given lots of hot chocolate!?!?!?

There really isn't a good enough excuse though for rudeness....and can one ever really have to much chocolate!?!?!?! LOL

I would assume that the family has issues with allergies or food sensitivities.

But there is a difference between, "No thanks. We already have some," and "I'm terribly sorry not to be able to accept this part of such a lovely gift since we have terrible food intolerances to dairy."

Then again, the returner did say "No, thanks," instead of just handing it back without comment.

I do believe it has been determined recently that rude is relative. ;)

Even so...wouldn't you let the person know?? "Oh, so and so....Thank you, but little Billy is extremely allergic to hot chocolate......"

People who have medical issues often get tired of explaining them over and over, especially this time of year.

You make much nicer assumptions than I do :D.

I try really hard to think of the best possible reason for something and then just assign it to the person. It makes my life more pleasant. For example, I assume people who cut me off in traffic have explosive diarrhea and could not possibly have waited that extra couple of seconds.

People who have medical issues often get tired of explaining them over and over, especially this time of year.

I try really hard to think of the best possible reason for something and then just assign it to the person. It makes my life more pleasant. For example, I assume people who cut me off in traffic have explosive diarrhea and could not possibly have waited that extra couple of seconds.

I have a ds with life-threatening food allergies and, yes, it gets tiring explaining. But, I would NEVER be so rude as to hand something back like that. I mean, I could always throw it away before my son sees it.

Oh - and I do the same thing when I'm cut off in traffic. I always think that they're on the way to the hospital to see a dying family member. But, I think I like the ED explanation better! LOL

:iagree: to the first sentence. A simple "he's allergic to nuts" can turn into a person wanting to know how allergic, and if he'll DIE if he touches etc etc...not a fun convo in front of the ALLERGIC child...he can HEAR folks!:glare: (not that I talk like that irl...I would give it away secretly...unless it was opened nuts, like homemade baked goods)

And, :lol::lol::lol: to the last sentence! Too funny!!!

I have, but it was in an appropriate context. My parents gave me some mapbooks for Christmas and as I was opening the package they said that I might already have them. Sure enough, I did have some of them, but it turned out that they didn't, so I gave the ones I already had to them. It was kind of funny actually.

:iagree: to the first sentence. A simple "he's allergic to nuts" can turn into a person wanting to know how allergic, and if he'll DIE if he touches etc etc...not a fun convo in front of the ALLERGIC child...he can HEAR folks!:glare: (not that I talk like that irl...I would give it away secretly...unless it was opened nuts, like homemade baked goods)

And, :lol::lol::lol: to the last sentence! Too funny!!!

I agree too. I would only hand it back though if there was a peanut warning on the package. But I would also explain that we have a peanut allergy and do not allow peanut products in our house.

It's either give it back or throw it away. But it wouldn't be coming home with me.

"I have, but it was in an appropriate context. My parents gave me some mapbooks for Christmas and as I was opening the package they said that I might already have them. Sure enough, I did have some of them, but it turned out that they didn't, so I gave the ones I already had to them. It was kind of funny actually. "

Yes, but your parents or immediate family are entirely different, IMO.

Edited by saja1029
Tried to quote and messed it up...

Okay, if you don't mind I'm going to start believing that of a lot of people.

By all means!

Exactly. I don't have these sorts of issues in my immediate family, but I know people who do and it can be pretty rough on them in my experience.

I would assume that the family has issues with allergies or food sensitivities.

I'm quite sure that's not the case - we know them well enough to know they can have hot chocolate. And there was no mistaking it as a Christmas gift - wrapped in red and green cellophane with a Christmas card. Fortunately, we really like hot chocolate, and will drink it with the chocolate covered pretzels they gave us (which, by the way, is the 3rd batch we've received in as many days. ;))

Edited by Susan in TN

Even so...wouldn't you let the person know?? "Oh, so and so....Thank you, but little Billy is extremely allergic to hot chocolate......"

Otherwise, RUDE....

Actually I would have kept quiet about the allergies, thanked them profusely for the lovely gift and as soon as we got home stick the hot chocolate into a drawer for regifting....or trashed them. I never would have told a gift giver that their gift was unwelcome. Of course, there are all those wicked jokes about regifting and being sure you don't return the item you were given....but I figure that if it's not something I want or would use doesn't mean it's not something someone I know wouldn't love.

Then MUCH later, if I had a close and ongoing relationship with the gift giver I might casually bring up the food allergy in the hopes that we wouldn't have an awkward moment again in the future, but even if the hint was forgotten I wouldn't want to make them feel badly.

I'm quite sure that's not the case - we know them well enough to know they can have hot chocolate.

Then maybe her dh bought enough at Sam's Club last year to feed a small country and she resents the fact half of it is still in her pantry despite serving hot cocoa every day for a year? :D

Just trying to think of reasonable explanations. I'm well aware that some people are just rude. Did you read about the lady who yelled at me because she didn't know about something because she had been deleting the emails I had sent to the group without reading them? Yeah...like that.

She undoubtedly had her reasons for refusing that part of the gift but the point isn't her reasons. The point is that it isn't polite to refuse the gift unless it is really offensive. When you give a gift, presumably the giver is trying to think of the other person to bless them with something that they would enjoy. In return, the giftee should try to think of the other person to bless them with thanks and appreciation even if they might have missed the mark in some ways.

She undoubtedly had her reasons for refusing that part of the gift but the point isn't her reasons. The point is that it isn't polite to refuse the gift unless it is really offensive. When you give a gift, presumably the giver is trying to think of the other person to bless them with something that they would enjoy. In return, the giftee should try to think of the other person to bless them with thanks and appreciation even if they might have missed the mark in some ways.

It agree, generally speaking.

I knew a woman who felt her in-laws sent too many gifts to her kids for Christmas so she boxed them up and sent them back. THAT was unspeakably rude and there is just no way around it. She also had her feelings hurt when the in-laws didn't want to come see them for Christmas. I wasn't the least bit surprised.

But, this time of year with so much back and forth and such, maybe the woman didn't realize it was being offered as a gift? Is that possible?

Did you read about the lady who yelled at me because she didn't know about something because she had been deleting the emails I had sent to the group without reading them? Yeah...like that.

Maybe she had to get up from the computer really quickly because she was about to have ED and she accidentally hit the "delete" button. Every. Time.

;)

Hee! Our standard explanation is that there is a pregnant woman on fire in the back seat, but yours is better.

It agree, generally speaking.

I knew a woman who felt her in-laws sent too many gifts to her kids for Christmas so she boxed them up and sent them back. THAT was unspeakably rude and there is just no way around it. She also had her feelings hurt when the in-laws didn't want to come see them for Christmas. I wasn't the least bit surprised.

But, this time of year with so much back and forth and such, maybe the woman didn't realize it was being offered as a gift? Is that possible?

I am absolutely sure she didn't mean to be rude. I'm just more than a little surprised at her response. I'm going to chalk it up to extreme stress. :ack2:

BTW, your Douglas Adams quote is one of my all time favorites!

I am absolutely sure she didn't mean to be rude. I'm just more than a little surprised at her response. I'm going to chalk it up to extreme stress. :ack2:

Extreme stress due to explosive diarrhea caused by over-consumption of hot cocoa? :D

BTW, your Douglas Adams quote is one of my all time favorites!

Thanks! I love Douglas Adams. That line resonates with me in a way I just cannot adequately express. :lol:

If I can say, "Thank you so much!" and pretend to love my cane, then anyone should be able to do the same for a box of hot chocolate. (see this thread about horrible gifts.)

Yeah - and thanks a lot for making me laugh so hard I got tea up my nose :D.

"Extreme stress due to explosive diarrhea caused by over-consumption of hot cocoa?" :D

I don't think I'll be able to look at her in the face again :ohmy:

My aunt and cousins were like that, but way worse. Every Christmas, my grandma would spends days trying to find just the right gifts for everyone. She really tried hard. As my aunt and cousins opened their gifts, their responses would usually run along the lines of, "This is going back" or "Yuck! This is horrible!" Every single year. Sometimes my aunt would even comment on other people's gifts and ask my Grandma what she was thinking to buy us such things. I remember being extremely upset about that even as a young child. It was a happy day when they moved across the country and no longer showed up for Christmas.

Oh, I forgot another story. So we're at my now SIL's bachelorette party and we are going around saying something that is unique about ourselves (don't ask, I wasn't in charge and thought it was kinda weird). So her SIL says, "I sold the fish plates that you gave me for my wedding this morning at my garage sale. I only used them once because they were hideous. I still don't know why you gave them to me." Man, I sure wish that girl could be MY SIL.

ETA: I have received many gifts that made me cringe on the inside, but I either donated them to charity, regifted them, or silently returned them if I was given a gift receipt. I have accepted many a horrible gift in my time, but I would never say something to the person.

Edited by lisamarie