Menu

A Poll: If you read romance novels...

Why do you read romance novels?  

1. 1. Why do you read romance novels?

• To relax - they calm my mind.
    • To escape - my life is nothing like a romance novel.
    • To put me in the mood for teA - ah, the passion!
    • I just love the stories!
    • Other - I'll explain below.

I know, I know...most people don't admit to reading romance novels....

And yet romance counts for a huge segment of book sales every year. I think a lot of women reach for romance novels the same way we reach for chocolate or ice cream or a warm robe and fuzzy slippers or a glass of wine - they simply spell relaxation in a way that not all other books do.

Apart from the romance novels I read for work, I find I reach for them when I need a happy ending; when I'm in a mood that's too fragile for the elements of human suffering found in other books.

I'm curious if other women are like me.

If you answer other, or even if you pick one of the choices, feel free to tell me more!

ETA: you can choose more than one answer and you will not be identified unless you choose to be.

Edited by JennifersLost

:seeya: Proud romance reader. I feel no need to hide!

I pooh-poohed romance for a lot of years and some time in my mid twenties my MIL talked me into reading Outlander. I actually started reading it on the train to Toronto for my one year wedding anniversary. Once I finished Outlander, I just branched out from there. I voted "to relax".

It's like comfort food to me. Julia Quinn=mashed potatoes :D.

I usually read them by mistake. LOL.

I'll pick up something that looks like a mystery or crime novel and I get a juicy surprise half way through it.

I say that without shame though. I mean I don't think it is the end of the world to read books like that, but those kinds of scenes in books usually just make me giggle or roll my eyes. :lol:

When I really want to escape and read something that has nothing to do with great literature or math or grammar or science or U.S. History... I like to read books that have suspense or mystery. I love action, a twist, and things that blow up. A little romance just helps the story along.

When I want to relax, I just love a happy ending.

Ah - there are others like me!

I find as a mom and sometimes as a wife that "real" life is scary enough - full of potential disasters. Reading in general calms me down and reading romance in particular calms me. Except when I read the old-fashioned ones where the guy is a total jerk.

You know my secret romance addiction? When life is really hard I like the small-town ones where all the men are oh-so-chivalrous and take care of the women. LOL - talk about regressing.....

When I have a really, really bad day I read the Amish ones and dream about never leaving my (imaginary) farm.

Ah - there are others like me!

I find as a mom and sometimes as a wife that "real" life is scary enough - full of potential disasters. Reading in general calms me down and reading romance in particular calms me. Except when I read the old-fashioned ones where the guy is a total jerk.

You know my secret romance addiction? When life is really hard I like the small-town ones where all the men are oh-so-chivalrous and take care of the women. LOL - talk about regressing.....

When I have a really, really bad day I read the Amish ones and dream about never leaving my (imaginary) farm.

:iagree:

I go through phases where I read loads of them and then switch to something else for awhile.

I love being able to count on the happily-ever-after. :)

I used to read them for escape. However, since I've become more religious I've come to dislike the values secular ones contain but the Christian ones I've tried are not my cup of tea either. I've nothing against the Amish, but why does it seem like 90% of the Christian romances are set among that denomination? :confused:

I picked "to escape" and "stories." I like historical romances--I like the places, time and stories involved. I don't read modern romances. I'm just not interested in any novel set in modern times, really. My only exception is books by Lucy Walker, which were written mostly in the 1960's. They're set in the Australian outback, so I find them very interesting.

I used to read them for escape. However, since I've become more religious I've come to dislike the values secular ones contain but the Christian ones I've tried are not my cup of tea either. I've nothing against the Amish, but why does it seem like 90% of the Christian romances are set among that denomination? :confused:

Have you looked at Steeple Hill books?

I've nothing against the Amish, but why does it seem like 90% of the Christian romances are set among that denomination? :confused:

Try books by Deeanne Gist: Courting Trouble, The Measure of a Lady, Deep in the Heart of Trouble, A Bride in the Bargain, & A Bride Most Begrudging.

If you want something deeper than that, waaay deeper, read the Lowlands of Scotland series by Liz Curtis Higgs: Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, Whence Came a Prince, and Grace in Thine Eyes (this is really a book that follows the trilogy--the story really ends after the 3rd book, and the 4th is a separate story about the daughter). I love, love, loved this series. Thorn in My Heart definitely has a cliffhanger ending, so you might want to have the next book ready.

Personally, I think a lot of Romance writers do a better job at telling the story and giving you a good resolution at the end. Those bestsellers that everyone says you should read usually have very bad endings and often bad writing. I know that the Romance authors I read take their writing and thier jobs seriously and put a lot of effort into their craft.:001_smile:

they simply spell relaxation in a way that not all other books do.

Apart from the romance novels I read for work, I find I reach for them when I need a happy ending; when I'm in a mood that's too fragile for the elements of human suffering found in other books.

This is why I read them. I read the short Harlequin or Silhouette ones so I can finish them in an hour or two. It's a brief break from the real world and helps lift my mood. I also like the Debbie Macomber books if I want to put in a little more time, have a little more plot but still get the happy ending.

I enjoy a good romance novel. I like Harlequins (the ones written say... before 1980. They don't have nearly the smut.) because they're easy to read, I can read one in an hour or so and they have happy endings. However, I do try to limit my intake because they can lead to discontent. As in.... why isn't my relationship like that? I want that. Etc.

I, primarily, read paranormal romance. Or urban fantasy with strong relationship themes. So my life is definitely not like the books I read. :)

Ditto. The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter books by Laurel K. Hamilton. The Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward. The Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood books. The Outlander series (time travel). Those are my type of romance books. Escape/fun!

I totally enjoy a good Christian based historical romance novel and I go through one every couple of weeks, sometimes more.

I don't like non Christian ones. I got a couple of them when I was in Denver because I had run out of material and they were in a second hand store that was close to the hospital. I didn't finish either one of them. In fact I through them both away.

When I think of romance-I think of those books that would have someone similar to Fabio on the cover:lol: Those are def. books I would never read. It sounds like those are not the only books considered romance. Would you consider Twilight romance? I would love to hear what some of your favorite authors/books are. I LOVE to read! I do like Amish books by Beverly Lewis-would some of those be considered romance? Also, what is teA?

I know, I know...most people don't admit to reading romance novels....

And yet romance counts for a huge segment of book sales every year. I think a lot of women reach for romance novels the same way we reach for chocolate or ice cream or a warm robe and fuzzy slippers or a glass of wine - they simply spell relaxation in a way that not all other books do.

I'm curious if other women are like me.

If you answer other, or even if you pick one of the choices, feel free to tell me more!

ETA: you can choose more than one answer and you will not be identified unless you choose to be.

I don't like most romance stories because I find the unrealistic nature of them to be silly. I am not a "romantic," per se, so I don't necessarily appreciate swooning and fairy tale endings. I also think a lot of the writing is terrible. I hate the ridiculous euphemisms for body parts, too. It reminds me of the way some children talk about their body parts, and that does not inspire feelings of sexiness or romance in me.

That said, I do read them occasionally to keep up with what my patrons at the library are reading and so I can offer somewhat informed reader advisory. I have, on rare occasion, come across some very clever, well-written romances that weren't silly. Those are simply fun to read, and I will make a point to search out those authors on the advance order lists.

Edited by Audrey

Ditto. The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter books by Laurel K. Hamilton. The Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward. The Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood books. The Outlander series (time travel). Those are my type of romance books. Escape/fun!

The early Anita Blake books were rather clever, but definitely not for the squeamish. I haven't finished any of the last 3 of hers, though. I find that's true for lots of writers who get stuck in writing a long series, though. A series usually seems to lose its edge around book 4 or 5.

I don't like most romance stories because I find the unrealistic nature of them to be silly. I am not a "romantic," per se, so I don't necessarily appreciate swooning and fairy tale endings. I also think a lot of the writing is terrible. I hate the ridiculous euphemisms for body parts, too. It reminds me of the way some children talk about their body parts, and that does not inspire feelings of sexiness or romance in me.

That said, I do read them occasionally to keep up with what my patrons at the library are reading and so I can offer somewhat informed reader advisory. I have, on rare occasion, come across some very clever, well-written romances that weren't silly. Those are simply fun to read, and I will make a point to search out those authors on the advance order lists.

Okay, I'll admit it. I've never read a romance novel (all the way through;)), unless you mean the medieval romances; i.e., written 300-600 years ago, Le Morte D'Arthur by Thomas Mallory, etc. ;)

So, if I'm going to TRY this genre, could you recommend any titles that aren't ridiculous, or have lusty, orgasmic covers? Ugh. Historical romance could be nice... Nothing too sappy, and certainly not ONE... MORE... HEROINE... that is originally unliked because she is "too thin", "too tall", "too independent", "too spirited". Blech. :tongue_smilie:

---- Hmm... While thinking about it further, I think I *did* read a Zane Grey once upon a time. Does that count? Anne of Green Gables? Jane Eyre? :D I guess it all depends on how one *defines* romance. I always thought James Herriot was terribly romantic! I may not be hopeless after all. :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

Okay, I'll admit it. I've never read a romance novel (all the way through;)), unless you mean the medieval romances; i.e., written 300-600 years ago, Le Morte D'Arthur by Thomas Mallory, etc. ;)

So, if I'm going to TRY this genre, could you recommend any titles that aren't ridiculous, or have lusty, orgasmic covers? Ugh. Historical romance could be nice... Nothing too sappy, and certainly not ONE... MORE... HERIONE... that is originally unliked because she is "too thin", "too tall", "too independent", "too spirited". Blech. :tongue_smilie:

---- Hmm... While thinking about it further, I think I *did* read a Zane Grey once upon a time. Does that count? Anne of Green Gables? Jane Eyre? :D I guess it all depends on how one *defines* romance. I always thought James Herriot was terribly romantic! I may not be hopeless after all. :)

I've always like Julie Garwood's historicals. "Ransom" is probably my favorite.

I don't read romance novels, but there is one series that I enjoy for "fluffy" reading that's pretty . . . um, adult. The "Clan of the Cave Bear" series. My gf and I affectionately refer to them as caveman p@rn. The premise of the series is very interesting, but seriously! Every ten minutes they're stopping for tea.

Oh look, we weren't killed by a landslide, let's make tea!

Oh look, you made an arrowhead, let's make tea!

Oh look, a cloud, let's make tea!

Wow, taste this new tea, let's make tea!

I used to read them for escape and relaxation. Throughout my life I have found that when my life is stressful I prefer to read romantic fluff. When my life is calmer I prefer to read nonfiction and meatier things. I think my reading balances how much the rest of my day is taking from me in terms of brain cells.

I haven't read romance in years now ... since I left the workforce to stay home with my kids. Now I look forward to my reading to challenge my mind and don't feel the need to read the lighter fluffier stuff anymore.

The early Anita Blake books were rather clever, but definitely not for the squeamish. I haven't finished any of the last 3 of hers, though. I find that's true for lots of writers who get stuck in writing a long series, though. A series usually seems to lose its edge around book 4 or 5.

Yes, I agree! I found that to be the case with the series too (as well as the Merry Gentry series by the same author). Loved the earliest ones, and the latest don't seem to have as much substance, but I read them anyway lol.

Mmm. Medieval Mom has a point. All the historical romances I remember reading in the recent enough to remember past have been drippy. I don't want a Tudor themed novel to be written in Middle English, but I hate it when the language is too colloquially modern. It hampers my ability to suspend disbelief, kwim? I read one about Anne Boleyn's older sister that would have been very well done if only it had been written in more formal English. Her story isn't one that has been done to death.

Rosie

I do like reading a romance novel now and then just as I like chocolate or a glass of wine. It is just nice to relaxe in the bath with a bit of trash.

Too graphic sex scenes though and I do get embarassed "throbbing manroot" seriously, there are some phrases that simply NEVER should be used. :lol:

Too much attention to more formal writing can also be a distraction. I read one book where everyone was always standing "arms akimbo" it did start getting annoying.

I do like reading a romance novel now and then just as I like chocolate or a glass of wine. It is just nice to relaxe in the bath with a bit of trash.

Too graphic sex scenes though and I do get embarassed "throbbing manroot" seriously, there are some phrases that simply NEVER should be used. :lol:

Too much attention to more formal writing can also be a distraction. I read one book where everyone was always standing "arms akimbo" it did start getting annoying.

Oh no! Is the phrase "arms akimbo" formal? We use that phrase all the time! I guess I really AM antiquated! :lol:

Arms akimbo? :001_huh:

If the writer is going out of their way to sound "Ye Olde" it sounds silly and is annoying, but a period novel shouldn't use modern, informal language, kwim? How would Lizzie Bennett have sounded if she'd said "I wouldn't marry you if my life depended on it!"

Rosie

Can you remember what book this is? It's driving me crazy because I think I may have read it! I fully remember rolling my eyes at each "arms akimbo" :001_rolleyes:.

I think it was by Kathleen Woodiwiss??

It is bad when multiple people are "knock it off arms akimbo!!"

I do find it annoying.

Edited by Sis

If the writer is going out of their way to sound "Ye Olde" it sounds silly and is annoying, but a period novel shouldn't use modern, informal language, kwim? How would Lizzie Bennett have sounded if she'd said "I wouldn't marry you if my life depended on it!"

Rosie

Right I would have been thrown off had the author said "being a pissypants" it seemed like the author really liked using that phrase....a lot.

I don't know if it was the main character being annoyed THAT often in the book that I started finding irritating or the phrase itself. :lol: If I had to wear skirts all the time and there was no such thing as motrin and running water I would probaby be a bit crabby too but geeeezzzzeee calm down.

Edited by Sis

Rosie

:lol: You crack me up! My SIL, knowing I like "things medieval", said I'd LOVE A Knight's Tale. Umm... No. :tongue_smilie:

I don't read romance novels, but there is one series that I enjoy for "fluffy" reading that's pretty . . . um, adult. The "Clan of the Cave Bear" series. My gf and I affectionately refer to them as caveman p@rn. The premise of the series is very interesting, but seriously! Every ten minutes they're stopping for tea.

Oh look, we weren't killed by a landslide, let's make tea!

Oh look, you made an arrowhead, let's make tea!

Oh look, a cloud, let's make tea!

Wow, taste this new tea, let's make tea!

I liked those books too! I described them as "prehistoric fiction" and didn't think of them as romance novels, though really they quite obviously are. The book equivalent of a chick flick, but I really did enjoy the details of how people then might have lived, obtained their food, made their homes and clothing, and the speculation about social structures and norms.

I must confess that I don't mind a good tea scene :blushing:, but even *I* was like "oh, come on! AGAIN?!?". :lol: Um, yeah, those two certainly had a lot of energy didn't they? :D

Edited by GretaLynne

:lol: You crack me up! My SIL, knowing I like "things medieval", said I'd LOVE A Knight's Tale. Umm... No. :tongue_smilie:

Ah yes. We call this "medjeeval." Note that movies get special mention ;)

"Umm... No." is about right :tongue_smilie:

Though it's fun to watch this sort of stuff with crazy SCA friends (the types who have built their own floor looms) and laugh while they point out actors using 16th century fighting techniques while wearing 14th century armour, in a 12th century setting or something fun like that.

Rosie