Menu

Why do we homeschool??

What is your BIGGEST reason for homeschooling??  

1. 1. What is your BIGGEST reason for homeschooling??

• Wanting to be the primary influence, rather than peers and teachers, in your child's life.
    • Better academics. You can teach your child better.
    • Religeous reasons. Any religeous conviction.
    • Catering to a child's learning disability.
    • Disliking the public school content or curriculum.
    • Other

I have been pondering my reasons for homeschooling after a weekend of being around people of an altogether different mindset than me. I am sure this has been done before but I was curious what the most common reasons are for the people on this board. I know that if you are anything like my husband and I there are a whole host of reasons, but I am curious what your BIGGEST reason is.

Mine is the worldy influence and peer pressure, especially for the younger children. I have a hard time sending my innocent little five year old into the local schools after having worked there and seen the environment they are in. Its way worse than when I was in school.

All of those reasons fit us to some degree, but better academics tops the list...catering to ds7's learning difficulties is a close 2nd and tied hand-in-hand with better academics.

Peer influence is a huge issue too, and I think it could take over as primary reason as the dc get older.

I chose academics, which is a big reason why we initially decided to homeschool. Both my husband and I were bored in school and wanted our children to develop a love of learning. Now that we've been homeschooling for over 4 years, one of the big reasons we continue to do so is because of the flexibility it allows us as well as the close family relationships we are growing. I love our life. :001_smile:

I picked learning disability as it was my son's special needs (learning and otherwise) that lead us into homeschooling. That would also be my primary concern if we had to stop for some reason. But all the things listed have become reasons for me. And the learning issues flow into a better education/academics. I probably should have picked that one given it's my primary reason for both children as a whole.

I picked #1 (peers/influence). I do tell people #2 (better academics), but I can't stay I have complete confidence in my teaching ability yet. I hope to confidently say #2 as my kids get older.

Other - son's allergies made homeschooling the safest choice for him. At this point, academics is becoming more of a concern as well. I think he'd be bored silly at public school in his grade level and there's no way I'd let him skip a grade. He'd already be the youngest in his grade level.

We had begun considering homeschool when he was 5; the anaphlaxis just made the decision that much easier.

That's difficult because it changed over time. Initially, I home educated Calvin because of his coordination delays. We then moved to a town in China where the school choice was between very impersonal, high-pressure Chinese schools and an academically sub-par, creationist, missionary school. Home education for both boys seemed like a good option.

Over the next few years, husband was sometimes working in a different city, and home ed. allowed us to be with him often. Finally, when we moved to Scotland, home ed. eased the transition to a new country and culture. Over time, I also appreciated the family closeness and tailored, rigorous curriculum I have been able to facilitate.

Laura

I chose Other. Waaay back when we began nine years ago, our primary reason was for long term academics or flexibility, I honestly can't remember.

That has shifted over the years, and I would now choose Religious, although I don't consider us "religious" hsers, we are definitely not secular hsers. We don't file a Religious Exemption, which in Virginia would relieve us of otherwise mandatory testing. We would go to any lengths to not have our children educated by the government, for so many reasons, but mostly because we believe God has continued to call us to hs.

I voted 1, but would have chose all above.

I REALLY don't want my dc around dc who misbehave. I have taught public school and don't want my dc there.

My eldest dc goes to a public boarding school for the arts. I really like the school mainly because all the students behave. If they misbehave, they will be kicked out. My dd has commented on how nice it is to be in a class where everybody is paying attention and doing their work. I don't like that her school ONLY offers honors and AP classes. My dd is a prodigy in voice, but is dyslexic and struggles to make C's in honors classes. She fairs much better in general ed classes.

If I KNEW the dc would behave in public school or be kicked out and the school taught real math and phonics, I might let my dc go to public school. But, IMHO, public school is mainly a babysitting service for 70% of the students.

My dual-diagnosed oldest child began our family's homeschool journey 20 years ago. He has special needs as does his younger brother. They needed adaptations AND accelerated and deepened academics. Also, we are a religious family, and I value the opportunity to include that all day, every day. With three sons, building lasting realtionships has been a key blessing we have received through home education. Looking back, all of these elements are crucial, any one alone would be enough.

I chose #2, because that's why we do it now. However, we started out homeschooling because that's what most of our friends and church members were doing. That reason became insignificant the moment it became hard. Now we do it because we think that, all things being considered, we can provide the best education at home with the help of K12 and our virtual academy structure and our teacher's encouragement and support. We re-evaluate often, maybe too often, because I'm always asking myself if this is truly best. Our most recent conversation was on Sunday night. My oldest daughter assured us that she wants to continue homeschooling because she doesn't have to get up too early and she can re-take tests. :glare: After this conversation I still question if this is best. :confused:

For me academics and peer issues run side by side but picked social issues. I was just listening to SWB Joy of Classical Ed lecture today and she really strikes cords with me. I really see the dilemma her mom was in and I felt my back against the wall in a similar way last Feb when I began this journey. I see all the holes in PS because I taught in PS. I know the pressures and the frustrations of teachers. I get such great delight knowing that the 30 minutes of silly Latin that didn't go smoothly was 30 more minutes than their peers are getting. I giggle when I see my 2 yr old try to get in with the girls and do "work". I almost wet my pants with glee and amazement when my 4 year old piped up to answer a memory work question with the answer, "The Saxons mom!" I didn't know he was listening!

I homeschool for these moments. I homeschool because my kids are learning to learn together and not just tolerate each other. I homeschool because there is soooo much ugliness in middle school and such lack of morality in the way the girls throw themselves at boys, wear indecent clothes, and objectify themselves! I homeschool because yes I want to shelter my kids from some of the crap they call "socialization" and YES I WANT TO PICK THEIR FRIENDS. There is said it.:tongue_smilie:

I must say that my intentional reasons have totally morphed into other reasons all together. I voted for the negative peer influence, etc. but the more I read, and the longer I home school (3rd year), I find that I'm becoming more anti-"system", not necessarily anti-one particular school, but just how overwhelming the "system" is.

All of these reasons, except the learning disability, are big reasons for me too. I have a hard time seperating out which is my most important and thats ok I think. I just was wondering if other people were coming from the same place. Thanks ladies for your posts :tongue_smilie:

I loved public school! I loved dropping my kids off at public school and coming home and doing my "job" on the puter, and painting and just relaxing.

I watched my kids not "get" math, english and being ignored because they were good kids that were being passed on to the next grade.

I watch them struggle thru hours of homework, I started spending more time at school and the teacher's wanted me to tutor other students.

I heard one teacher say to my son, oh you go help that kid, he is lost, and your mom can just help you do the work when you get home.

I walked to the office and removed my kids from school.

That is why we began...

as to why we keep going??

I stinking love it (and am the lady that would say, I could NEVER teach or spend that much time with my own kids) and my kids do too!

For me academics and peer issues run side by side but picked social issues. I was just listening to SWB Joy of Classical Ed lecture today and she really strikes cords with me. I really see the dilemma her mom was in and I felt my back against the wall in a similar way last Feb when I began this journey. I see all the holes in PS because I taught in PS. I know the pressures and the frustrations of teachers. I get such great delight knowing that the 30 minutes of silly Latin that didn't go smoothly was 30 more minutes than their peers are getting. I giggle when I see my 2 yr old try to get in with the girls and do "work". I almost wet my pants with glee and amazement when my 4 year old piped up to answer a memory work question with the answer, "The Saxons mom!" I didn't know he was listening!

I homeschool for these moments. I homeschool because my kids are learning to learn together and not just tolerate each other. I homeschool because there is soooo much ugliness in middle school and such lack of morality in the way the girls throw themselves at boys, wear indecent clothes, and objectify themselves! I homeschool because yes I want to shelter my kids from some of the crap they call "socialization" and YES I WANT TO PICK THEIR FRIENDS. There is said it.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: This makes me wanna jump up and say YEAH!!! This is me and I needed that, thank you!

I picked other because for us its all of those reasons (except the LD one, thankfully).

The 2 that deal with public schools - both because of the content of the public schools and because I think I can teach them better academics than they can learn there. - were the primary reasons.