Menu

Never fear, CPO girl is here :lol: Go here, hover over the educator's tab and you'll see the choices for middle school science. It is written for 6-8th grades but I'm using Earth Science with great success in 5th grade. She LOVES the hands-on aspect!

There are lots of threads about CPO---if you click on the tags I just added, you'll find some of them :)

And CPO is secular. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be using it :D

Edited by Luckymama
adding more info

Never fear, CPO girl is here :lol: Go here, hover over the educator's tab and you'll see the choices for middle school science. It is written for 6-8th grades but I'm using Earth Science with great success in 5th grade. She LOVES the hands-on aspect!

There are lots of threads about CPO---if you click on the tags I just added, you'll find some of them :)

Please tell me that I don't have to spend $2,100 just on science! :svengo:

Could I just buy the student book and the investigation manual?

Please tell me that I don't have to spend $2,100 just on science! :svengo:

Could I just buy the student book and the investigation manual?

Only if you want 30 textbooks :p

It still looks pricey... 70 for the student set (okay) 130 for the teacher's guide... and then 1175 for the equipment??? Or is there a way to get the equipment separate?

Edited by lionfamily1999

Oh gracious, no, it's not that expensive! I bought the student text, the teacher's text (which is sooooooo much more than I expected) and the investigation manual (ie lab book). You don't even need to buy the lab book because it's all there for download on the book's webpage, right side in "ancillaries" as "Student Record Sheets." I probably spent $70 for all including shipping from three different sources through Amazon used.

And I think I've spent $25 so far on supplies for Earth Science----two plastic paint tray liners, sand, rocks, some PVC bits, thermometers, a scratch plate, HCl, a spectrograph. We already owned a bucket w/ spigot and a regular bucket, two clip-on workbench-type lights and a few other things. I've got posts on my blog for the labs we've adapted. Another one will be up as soon as I get back to finish it.

Life will be cost a bit more because I'll need slides and some specimens, but I'd need those for any Life curriculum anyway. Physical will take more adapting----I've got time to figure that out!

There are two different series----the "regular" CPO Earth/Life/Physical and the California-standards-based CPO Focus on...(Earth/Life/Physical). The only differences between the two series are where some topics are covered, in Earth or in Physical. If you start with one series, stick with it so that you don't have a gap or a repeat.

Thank you for the clarifications regarding CPO. I've looked at it before, but didn't spend much time on the website since it was so clearly geared towards classroom purchasers. (I'm goofy like that.) I'll have to check it out again for my son next year!

My 7th grader is using Oak Meadow life science this year, and my oldest used OM physical science in 8th grade a couple of years ago. In 6th and 7th, my oldest used K12's earth science and life science, which she loved.

It's basically a reading schedule andset of lesson plans incorporating Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Science and another science reference or two from Usborne. Extras like memorization and experiments are thrown in. So it's not a "program", per se, IMO. It pulls together resources for you, from what I see.

Secular or not? Please secular? :) I can't open the samples files.

I do believe it is secular... you may not be able to open the files because it use a new version of adobe.... see if your needs updating... mine did...

"bestest"! Ha I wonder if they realized this.... if so I find that funny... we use that "word" here but only joking of course..... that wouldn't deter me though.....I have seen many more typos in homeschooling curriculum that have been worse

Well, as I am insane and cannot ever go with any one science text...

I am using... sporadically...

CPO Focus on Life Science (used, think I spend $40 for TM, ST, Investigations man.)

OM Life Science (Thanks to Caitlin for loaning this to me for the year!xoxox)

Galore Park So You Really Want to learn Science book 1

Hakim: Newton at the center

We also have some outside science classes.

All are good, secular, and all are quite different from each other. I am a bit of a sideways thinker in regards to science...so this spazzy way of doing things doesn't phase me. As I have my math, LA and History completely locked in... I can let science be my monster lab. :tongue_smilie:

I have bought both Science Explorer and CPO science books, but I always end up going back to putting together the study myself, sorry! I just have never really found a "text" or complete program that I like enough to do it stand alone, without adding in lots of extra reading, videos, field trips, and other project work.

Someone else just asked in another thread what text we'd use if we were using a text and I told them basically I guess I'd use Conceptual Chemistry and Physics, and a biology book by Hoagland. I linked to those in that thread if you want to look at them.

Although I must say that I bought Conceptual Physics and didn't end up using it, because my son was doing algebra at the time and I knew that he would balk at having what he considered "two math classes" every day. He ended up choosing to do a dual credit geology course that year (ninth), instead.

And I did use the Hoagland book with him for biology (eighth), but I also supplemented the reading list heavily with suggested works from the end of those chapters and tons of other books, as well as outside bio classes taught by biology folks who covered various topics, did some dissecting, etc.

So is there a stand alone program that covers the reading, the written work that you need to help cement the reading, the projects and experiments? I guess the Apologia high school books or BJU high school books that have experiment kits readily available to go along with them do the best job of covering the most of these bases (though not all). But I've just never liked Apologia (and don't like texts, in general, so I can't bring myself to try these)....

For earth science for older kids, I've always looked at the Ring of Fire stuff, which is pricey. If my older son hadn't chosen a dual credit, then I probably would have done that with him. I linked that one in the other thread, too....

There is a high school level science program out now that I saw at convention this past spring. When I have a chance, I'll see if I can find it and link it. For kids who are science oriented, it might be a good program.

I will also say that I love the look of the Apologia middle school science books, but I can't see covering so narrow a topic as only mammals or only birds for an entire year, or even an entire semester, when the subject of biology is so very broad and I'm only taking one shot at it for middle school....

Ellen McHenry's Organic Chemistry program is good for middle school, and she has lots of games and additional info at her website, too, but it alone is not meaty enough for an entire year's worth of work, in my opinion. I am using it this year, but along with her Elements program, another chemistry program called Friendly Chemistry, John Tiner's history of chemistry book, a big workbook I found that drills him on the elements and matter, and a ton of other stuff I've put together. So no, it's not stand alone by any means unless you want to go light on science....

For earth science last year, I ended up using the MSNucleus website and Oregon State's Volcano World sites as my "spines". They both include activities and experiments. The MSN site now sells some kits that are ready made to use with their labs. The OS site has tests. It is undergoing rehab right now, so I don't think they have back up all their modules yet.... I still added in a bunch of other stuff that I pulled together....

And for middle school bio, you don't even want to know the number of books we used....

So yes, I'd love to see a good, comprehensive type of program developed, but I haven't seen one yet....

That look very interested, but the title of the page puts me off a little

I checked out the website and seeing "bestest" was more than I could take. I emailed the company about it... this was their response if you're interested:

Thank you so much for calling this to my attention. Actually, it is not a joke but an error. The mistake is the result of a late night edit to the website that did not seem to be "taking". I had to change the wording to see if the required text changes were, in fact, being fed to the server. And then I simply forgot to change it back. It has been corrected, but my embarrassment is sure to last for some time.

Again, thank you for making me aware of my blunder.

I checked out the website and seeing "bestest" was more than I could take. I emailed the company about it... this was their response if you're interested:

Thank you so much for calling this to my attention. Actually, it is not a joke but an error. The mistake is the result of a late night edit to the website that did not seem to be "taking". I had to change the wording to see if the required text changes were, in fact, being fed to the server. And then I simply forgot to change it back. It has been corrected, but my embarrassment is sure to last for some time.

:001_huh:

:D What a great reply. I guess they now know that late night is probably the worstest time to be editing published material.

Ellen McHenry's Organic Chemistry program is good for middle school, and she has lots of games and additional info at her website, too, but it alone is not meaty enough for an entire year's worth of work, in my opinion. I am using it this year, but along with her Elements program, another chemistry program called Friendly Chemistry, John Tiner's history of chemistry book, a big workbook I found that drills him on the elements and matter, and a ton of other stuff I've put together. So no, it's not stand alone by any means unless you want to go light on science....

Do McHenry's programs overlap with Friendly Chemistry? What I saw of Friendly Chemistry seemed too much overlap for what it costs.

I really want those videos. I don't want to jump ship on my current book but I think I might be able to supplement with these videos. Has anyone watched them? Are they worth $99?

Where did you find CPO science videos for $99? :confused:

Are these different from the free short videos on the website?

Jackie

Has anyone used any of the Walch Education science books? I will confess to a certain fondness for Walch Publishing. Whenever I have a quirky homeschool need to fill, they seem to have the right product. My kids dislike worksheets intensely but the Walch books seem to be the exception.

Swimmer Dude and I were thinking of adding Introduction to Biotechnology and Forensics from the Hands-On Science Series.

Has anyone used any of the Walch Education science books? I will confess to a certain fondness for Walch Publishing. Whenever I have a quirky homeschool need to fill, they seem to have the right product. My kids dislike worksheets intensely but the Walch books seem to be the exception.

Swimmer Dude and I were thinking of adding Introduction to Biotechnology and Forensics from the Hands-On Science Series.

Those look great!

Please let us know how these work out if you try them. I've been thinking we need an incubator!

Capt_Uhura