Menu

I can't get the ClassiQuest Biology links to work. When I download them, it is only 1 page saying to view it w/ PDF viewer. The look inside at Amazon didn't tell me much. Anyone have any ideas? I suppose I'll try a different browser.

Capt_Uhura

On the left side, there is a tab that says attachment. I clicked on that and got the samples.

oh I'm so jealous! :D Please give a review when you can....

I also wanted to say that I thought their reply was great.

Not to beat a dead horse, but personally I thought it was the bestest reply ever!

Sorry, I'm done. Really.:D

It does look good, though. Waiting for a review....

I don't see a tab which says attachment.:glare:

Hmm. When I click the samples link, it opens in a new window with 'For best experience, open in this PDF portfolio in Acrobat 9 or Adobe Reader 9 or later." and all the way to the left there are 3 tabs saying Pages, Attachments, and Comments. I am using Internet Explorer 8 and Adobe Reader 7. Clicking the Attachments tab brings up a list of 5 files of sample pages. Clicking one opens it in a new window and I can see the pages.

Amazon has it available to search inside.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

We only did 2 years of logic stage science before moving to High school science.

For Physics, DS read How Things Work from cover to cover. 1 spread each day. What a great book! He also played with an electronic kit. And then he did a 8 week Science Fair project on aerodynamics and kite flying.

For Biology, DS read The Way Life works, The Cartoon Guide to Genetics, and The Stuff of Life. He watched all of the David Attenborough Documentaries (there are LOTS). Then, he did a 8 week science fair project on Microscopic Life.

Ruth in NZ

I'm really liking Holt Life Science for this year (6th grade--per my daughter's request). Having the directed reading and study guide workbooks helps her with note-taking and getting the concepts to stick. I have the test generator (it's older, so I have the printed material rather than a cd, but it works), which has been great for us.

She's also taking a twice a month class at the Nature Center involving labwork, watching a lot of biology-related videos from Discovery Streaming Plus and participating in a Science Olympiad team that is being run as a class. I have the Story of Science as well as the teacher guide for Aristotle Leads the Way, but I'm not sure we'll do more than read the text along with the other work.

Chemistry

I'm attempting to put together Friendly Chemistry and the chemistry video labs from GA pbs. I found out I could have all the teacher tests, quizes, lab answers, notetaking answers for 30$ for both Chem and Physics. The videos are free, but if you buy one, 30$, you can send your invoice/ confirmation email and get the teacher CD material free.

GPBS has these listed as highschool. I'm still reviewing the content. I think a lot of it will fit for 7th grade science for us.

Physical Science

I'm also looking at Derek Owens Physical Science that is not online but a one time purchase. Another option Conceptual Physics

Biology- I'm considering Shepherd Science Biology with Dive CD for notetaking and labs.

If these ideas sound a little off for middle school, it's because I'm shooting for harder/ clep/AP for 10th and 11th.

Chemistry

I'm attempting to put together Friendly Chemistry and the chemistry video labs from GA pbs. I found out I could have all the teacher tests' date=' quizes, lab answers, notetaking answers for 30$ for both Chem and Physics. The videos are free, but if you buy one, 30$, you can send your invoice/ confirmation email and get the teacher CD material free.

GPBS has these listed as highschool. I'm still reviewing the content. I think a lot of it will fit for 7th grade science for us. [/quote']

It looks like the videos and student materials are freely online---do you know if they will send the teacher CD to someone outside of Georgia if you purchase one video?

Do you find the Friendly Chemistry games to be vital to the program or require multiple students? I have one child and most games don't work really well for us. Also, if you do line the two up, would you be willing to share your line-up? I'd like to consider using this with my middle-schooler as well. She's done some basic work with Ellen McHenry's The Elements and, if we look at this for 8th grade, is on track to be working in Algebra I at that point. If we do Earth/Space next year, that schedule would work.

We only did 2 years of logic stage science before moving to High school science.

For Physics, DS read How Things Work from cover to cover. 1 spread each day. What a great book! He also played with an electronic kit. And then he did a 8 week Science Fair project on aerodynamics and kite flying.

For Biology, DS read The Way Life works, The Cartoon Guide to Genetics, and The Stuff of Life. He watched all of the David Attenborough Documentaries (there are LOTS). Then, he did a 8 week science fair project on Microscopic Life.

Ruth in NZ

Ruth,

Wich electronic kit did your son use? Thanks.