Menu

Medical question about bOOks.

What can cause a bOOk to become suddenly hard, large, painful with dimpled skin?

A mammogram came back with no concerns but my doctor wants to do an ultrasound and possibly other tests primarily because of the dimpled skin.

I am concerned. It is getting rather painful with a little relief around that time of the month.

Any input, Dr. Hive?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with br. cancer it wouldn't occur "suddenly" as you described.

I know that one br. exam technique is to lean over and let your breasts "dangle" (hang down) while you look at them in a mirror to see if one doesn't hang down as well (as if something within breasts is causing breast tissue to afix to the chest wall). Is this occuring? Good that mammogram came back normal. Have you googled "Paget's breast" --- I can't recall exactly, but seems like this may be worth your while to look up. Again...the fact that this doesn't sound slow onset and appeared "suddenly" sounds more like an acute process and not cancerous, but --- by all means -- follow up with doctor and keep all recommended appointments/evaluations.

I think with br. cancer it wouldn't occur "suddenly" as you described.

I know that one br. exam technique is to lean over and let your breasts "dangle" (hang down) while you look at them in a mirror to see if one doesn't hang down as well (as if something within breasts is causing breast tissue to afix to the chest wall). Is this occuring? Good that mammogram came back normal. Have you googled "Paget's breast" --- I can't recall exactly, but seems like this may be worth your while to look up. Again...the fact that this doesn't sound slow onset and appeared "suddenly" sounds more like an acute process and not cancerous, but --- by all means -- follow up with doctor and keep all recommended appointments/evaluations.

Not typical breast cancer, no.

:grouphug:

Please make sure your health care providers are taking this seriously. If they aren't, get a second opinion as soon as possible. If the ultrasound doesn't give clear answers, insist on an MRI. Usually it is reasonable to take a wait and see approach, as in, let's watch this for a cycle or two. However, this isn't one of those things, so be assertive if necessary.

What can cause a bOOk to become suddenly hard, large, painful with dimpled skin?

A mammogram came back with no concerns but my doctor wants to do an ultrasound and possibly other tests primarily because of the dimpled skin.

I am concerned. It is getting rather painful with a little relief around that time of the month.

Any input, Dr. Hive?

Fibrocystic booKs? Get a second opinion. I have this problem but it is definitely linked to my cycles. My doctor put me on natural progesterone. It has really helped.

I am in my early 40s.

I googled after I posted (before everyone said not to do so :D) and found one scary thing that sort of fits called Inflammatory BOOk Cancer. I think I have most of the symptoms except the rash.

Could a person get Mastitis if you aren't bOOkfeeding?

This was my smaller bOOk of the two and now it is HUGE. I'm trying to stay calm.

Tomorrow I have the ultrasound.

Thank you for your thoughts and/or prayers.

I am in my early 40s.

I googled after I posted (before everyone said not to do so :D) and found one scary thing that sort of fits called Inflammatory BOOk Cancer. I think I have most of the symptoms except the rash.

This was my smaller bOOk of the two and now it is HUGE. I'm trying to stay calm.

:grouphug: Sounds like your doctor is on top of things. Keep us posted.

found one scary thing that sort of fits called Inflammatory BOOk Cancer. I think I have most of the symptoms except the rash.

There was an awareness campaign running in our area not too long ago regarding Inflammatory Breast Cancer, so it was the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post.

Do talk to your doctor, and be specific about your concerns. It is my understanding that IBC is often missed by doctors.

I am in my early 40s.

This sounds like classic inflammatory book cancer. Do not accept anything less then the fullest testing possible.

Yes, it is possible to get a form of mastitis when not nursing a baby. I got it when my youngest was 9yo. It's called mammary duct ectasia and is considered to be somewhat rare. Symptoms include achiness and inflammation and pain, sometimes also discharge. Symptoms can be relieved with application of moist heat and expressing the discharge by hand. If this does not fully address the problem, antibiotics are the way to go.

Your symptoms do not sound anything like mammary duct ectasia. Your skin symptoms and sudden onset are classic inflammatory book cancer. I do not want to scare you unduly, but do feel strongly that you need to aggressively pursue this to the fullest possible extent. I'm sorry.

Thank you to my hive friends. You are lifting up my spirits.

The ultrasound tech showed concern. After talking with the doctor she said that he was unable to tell if it was an infection or inflammatory. She only said this because I had already mentioned the IBC.

Tomorrow I will find out what comes next, either a MRI or biopsy. Does anyone have any input about which should come first or one done over the other? Can anyone tell me what to expect regarding a biopsy?

Thank you again for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers.

Whatever it is, I hope you know quickly. Waiting on something like this must be so hard. :grouphug:

It is possible to have mastitis while not nursing though. Let's hope it's something like that. Do you have a temp at all? Any flu-like symptoms? Ever had it before? (Some women are prone to it.)

Thank you to my hive friends. You are lifting up my spirits.

The ultrasound tech showed concern. After talking with the doctor she said that he was unable to tell if it was an infection or inflammatory. She only said this because I had already mentioned the IBC.

Tomorrow I will find out what comes next, either a MRI or biopsy. Does anyone have any input about which should come first or one done over the other? Can anyone tell me what to expect regarding a biopsy?

Thank you again for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers.

thank you for updating us. We all have been concerned for you and are hoping this is some sort of infection. Please keep us posted.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:and more:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

When I returned home tonight there was a message from the nurse. I have the mri scheduled at 10 am tomorrow.

No, I do not have flu like symptoms. Although, I do sometimes have just the slightest sour stomach. I don't have a fever.

I hope I know more right after the MRI.

Thanks.

All images (mammo, ultrasound, MRI) are useful to guide the one taking the biopsy.

I just want to say that, even if it proves to be cancer, keep in mind that breast cancer is not a death sentence. My maternal grandmother, my (maternal) aunt, and my mother have all 3 had bilateral (both breasts) breast cancer (my aunt was diagnosed at ages 19 and 37!). All three survived it (decades after each's diagnosis) with NO sign of metastasis, etc. --- and, when my grandmother died at age 88, it wasn't due to cancer. So....firstly, you haven't been diagnosed with ANYTHING yet and, even if it proves to be cancer, again --- there's no reason to think you won't be OK anyway.

You're wise to get this thoroughly evaluated, but --- if you're prone to think the worst, --- this is why I posted this: to encourage you.

Isn't it 1 Tim 1:7 ish that says, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind."

Take heart!

I'll be praying for this to be nothing major.

I have had to do a biopsy before and it was not bad at all... just in case you do end up having to do one.

You might want to ask for the drug to calm you down before you have the MRI. I have to have one each year because of an increased risk of breast cancer and lying still for that long is the hardest part. It helps is you are a bit drowsy.:grouphug:

I prayed for you last night after I read your post. Yes, IBC is what came to my mind first. I am so glad to hear that your doctor is on top of this and is getting you in for testing immediately. Please update us as best you can tomorrow. You are in my prayers tonight.

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, oh Lord, make me dwell in safety." Lean on Him tonight and do not be afraid. He is with you. My prayers for your peace tonight.

:iagree: Patients tell me the dread of the biopsy is much worse than the biopsy.

And that the results of the biopsy (either way) far outshadows the biopsy in their memory.

:grouphug::grouphug:

My mom told me the same thing, she's had multiple biopsies on her breasts, lungs, and back.

When I returned home tonight there was a message from the nurse. I have the mri scheduled at 10 am tomorrow.

No, I do not have flu like symptoms. Although, I do sometimes have just the slightest sour stomach. I don't have a fever.

I hope I know more right after the MRI.

Thanks.

Just wanted to bump that up, in case anyone missed it.

Carpe Diem, what an apt name btw, I'll be praying for you.