Menu

s/o Restaurant thread: The Death of Tipping

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does need to die. It's now expected no matter how bad the service.

I think part of it's demise is the advent of all of those stupid tip jars. Really? You handed me dry cleaning and expect a tip in the jar? NO. You put a styrofoam container into a bag and expect a tip? NO

It has gone so far past ridiculous we can't even SEE ridiculous any longer! :glare:

ETA: I am a very high tipper, well over 20%, but I absolutely WILL NOT tip for service not rendered! When I have to pick up my own stuff at a counter, drive back home and serve myself then NO!!! No tip!!! That was self-serve!

It does need to die. It's now expected no matter how bad the service.

I think part of it's demise is the advent of all of those stupid tip jars. Really? You handed me dry cleaning and expect a tip in the jar? NO. You put a styrofoam container into a bag and expect a tip? NO

It has gone so far past ridiculous we can't even SEE ridiculous any longer! :glare:

ETA: I am a very high tipper, well over 20%, but I absolutely WILL NOT tip for service not rendered! When I have to pick up my own stuff at a counter, drive back home and serve myself then NO!!! No tip!!! That was self-serve!

:iagree: I hate that tips are expected when I go to pick up my pizza. If I wanted to tip I would have had the pizza delivered to me. What I pay for is service, not for the act of simply having my food cooked and put in a box. I also am a good tipper (about 20-25%), but refuse to tip when service really hasn't been provided.

Diane

Fellow tip-jar hater here! Nice to know I am not just a grinch.

For table service we always tip a minimum of 15%, more typically 20% or even higher when we had lots of little kids with us, or when we are part of a group and fear that not everyone will kick in a respectable amount for the tip. HOWEVER, for truly poor service, we have been known to call the manager over, give the tip to the manager and ask that he pass it along to that employee after talking with him about his need to improve his service skills.

But tipping at a drive-thru? Please.....

Edited by AuntieM

I agree whole heartedly with the article. It needs to die. Where can I sign the petition?

:iagree:

Not only is it 'mandatory' at restaurants and bars and hair salons, every Christmas one sees the articles and charts on tipping the mail carrier, the trash collectors, etc. It's ridiculous. I want a tip for being a mom!

I wish it would die, too--but I know that would make restaurant prices go up--way up.

My son works at a Friday's-like restaurant--you know the type, where there's TVs set up to watch "The Game" and lots of food like cheese fries and burgers.

He makes an astounding $2.10 an hour.

He has to pay the restaurant for his uniform shirt (and they didn't even have the right size...:glare:).

He gets to keep his tips, but he gives 3% of the total of his sales (adding everyone's bill) back to the restaurant to give to those people who don't get tipped (the hostess, mainly).

He has to stay to close about once a week--that means he has about 2 hours of shift time where he is NOT earning tips.

He says, in his experience, that there is a racial divide in the people he sees, as far as who tips best and who doesn't.

It's an interesting thing, to watch him. He has to upsell, and is trained to do so--so he can make more $.

I'd love it if he could make 10 bucks an hour without tips. For what he does, he's worth it.

:iagree:

Not only is it 'mandatory' at restaurants and bars and hair salons, every Christmas one sees the articles and charts on tipping the mail carrier, the trash collectors, etc. It's ridiculous. I want a tip for being a mom!

I have never tipped the laundry list of people that magazines claim I must (at holidays. I do tip when getting haircuts and at restaurants). Who makes that kind of money?! Not to mention we have different workers, so there is a good chance that a temp could be filling in on the day someone tips. :001_huh:

No kidding. I was at an outdoor music festival with my children this summer, and waited in line to get two bottles of water. The bottles were in a large barrel of ice---I reached in, got two bottles and put them on the counter. The woman collecting the money says to me, "that will be $6.00---would you like to add a dollar for a tip?"

WHAT?! No, thank you. I mean, really. Tipping someone just to take my money??!!

That said, I do tip well in settings where tips are earned---Restaurants, salons, hotels, where I'm actually RECEIVING a service.

Yes, it has definitely gotten out of hand.

Edited by Imprimis

I tip based on the service and what I know of how the workers are paid. Basically, there is no need to tip my mail person (though I have given a holiday card to a particular mailman that had been very loved in a neighbourhood we lived in). I was taught to tip servers at sit down restaurants (been one, and they do not even make half of minimum wage as they are expected to make it up in tips...some higher end restaurants the servers have to use their tips to tip their bussers and other coworkers), tip your hairdresser (as they typically will do a little extra and they have to tip the person that is sweeping, cleaning, and shampooing for them). Tip valets, as I believe they also live off of tips for the service. Tip the man at the hibachi grill, as he is living on tips for the service of cooking your food in front of you.

Now, my tips at the restaurants are usually really good, unless you are intentionally ignoring my table (many servers assume a large family will not tip well and are extra work for nothing) or not keeping a minimal eye on drinks. I have tipped double for servers that have gone all out.

When I was a kid, we tipped the baggers at the grocery as they used to also bring your groceries out for you and weren't "regular hired staff". I don't tip for that anymore as they are regular staff now and half the time I'm bagging my own. I am ever grateful for the one kid that bagged my groceries and pushed my cart to my car the time that I not only had 5 kids with me shopping, but I was extremely pregnant, extremely nauseous, and near tears for it all...the cashiers knew me and watched the kids so I could run to the restroom, then they arranged for the young man to help me out. I love a grocery where people take the time to get to know you. If I'd had cash on me, that kid would have had one huge tip!

Edited by mommaduck

Well, I ONLY tip hair dressers and at sit down restaurants. I don't like the hair dresser one because I don't know what is "right" and what is "awesome." I LOVE doing it at restaurants though. I tip 20-50% most of the time. It is VERY rare for me to tip less. If it's a small order, I don't mind tipping up to 100% or so even. I get joy out of doing it the majority of the time.

And I *beg* places to let my dd and me take my groceries out. I won't go to a certain store because they refuse to allow me unless it's one bag. I'm sure part of that is their company policy but I shouldn't have to fight about it. The other part is probably my condition, but don't stress the woman in pain people! LOL

Well, I ONLY tip hair dressers and at sit down restaurants. I don't like the hair dresser one because I don't know what is "right" and what is "awesome." I LOVE doing it at restaurants though. I tip 20-50% most of the time. It is VERY rare for me to tip less. If it's a small order, I don't mind tipping up to 100% or so even. I get joy out of doing it the majority of the time.

You would have been one of my favorite customers!

What bothers me is that the value of the dollar is going down here in our country but yet the tipping percent is going up?!?!?! With the economy tanking they still expect us to tip at 20%. GGGRRRRRR!!!!:glare:

I agree it DOES need to die. It is ridiculous.

A lot of people at my husband's work didn't get a raise for the last 3-4 years but the tipping world got a raise from 15% to 20%. If my husband's place gives raises it is only a 1% to 3% IF they do. There is something seriously wrong with the whole tipping percentage increase. It needs to go back to service and minimum of 5% or die.

:glare::glare:

Now in sit down restaurants I will tip based on service. BAD service = a 5% to 10 %. GREAT service = 15% I do not give 20% tips. I just don't. I only tip in restaurants.

I do not tip hairdressers, baristas or mail man or....(insert whatever)....

Holly

What bothers me is that the value of the dollar is going down here in our country but yet the tipping percent is going up?!?!?! With the economy tanking they still expect us to tip at 20%. GGGRRRRRR!!!!:glare:

I agree it DOES need to die. It is ridiculous.

A lot of people at my husband's work didn't get a raise for the last 3-4 years but the tipping world got a raise from 15% to 20%. If my husband's place gives raises it is only a 1% to 3% IF they do. There is something seriously wrong with the whole tipping percentage increase. It needs to go back to service and minimum of 5% or die.

:glare::glare:

Holly

I'm personally against people's wages being dependent upon it. They should receive a normal wage and the tipping should be EXTRA...aka EARNED.

I love my hairdresser! She has the most reasonable rates around, and she has a policy of no tipping. When she's offered a tip, she kindly says "thank you for the gesture, but that's not necessary. I'm a professional." Her business is booming and her customers are loyal (and remember her at Christmas :001_smile:).

...If it's a small order, I don't mind tipping up to 100% or so even. I get joy out of doing it...

One Christmas Eve dh and I pulled up to a Sonic for a milkshake. When the teen gal came out with our beverages, we looked at each other, thinking the same thing. He paid her for the shakes, then, when she gave him change, he handed her a $10 bill with a "Merry Christmas!" It was a fun thing to do! Can't afford to do it all the time.

As far as the high-end waiters earning more tips just because the menu is pricier, well, that is true to a point, but once you get into the true fine dining arena, that waiter has so many others to tip out from his own earnings that he really should earn more. Also, customers in a fine-dining setting typically have higher expectations for service, as does the management. Bad waiters don't last long at the best restaurants.

Here is a question for ya'll....

Have you informed your kids about tipping expectations, how much, when, where, etc...?

My dd went to 4-H camp with a group this summer. The leaders informed us before they left that the group would be stopping at Cracker Barrel on the way for breakfast. I told my daughter that she needed to plan on tipping the waiter/waitress 15-20%. I gave her the money and explained how to figure it in her head (she rolled her eyes, because she's been doing that kind of mental math for years) .

So off she went and she sat at a table with 6 or 8 other girls all of them between the ages of 12-14.

my dd was the only kid who left a tip! I was proud of her, but felt really sorry for the poor server! I told her she did the right thing.

I don't get why ppl are afraid to NOT tip if the service is lousy.

I'm not afraid. There have been times where I have lessened a tip and once where I intentionally left NO tip. The woman made it obvious that she did not want to serve our family, that she thought she would be tipped better by other customers (those sans children), and we were just a nuisance by being there. She's right, with that attitude, she received no tip.

I'm not afraid NOT to tip. I will lessen a tip as I deem appropriate. However, it is a very rare situation where tipping wouldn't be appropriate (in a dine-in restaurant). The server would have to do almost nothing AND have an attitude or intentionally mess up. Otherwise, he/she DID serve and should get SOME compensation for it.

As a former server, I would be upset if I got less than 15% because it meant that I probably didn't do a good job. I thought my job was to make the evening an "event". You feed at home, you dine at a restaurant. Sometimes, I would get busy and ignore a table. I can't tell you which made me feel worse, guilt if they tipped me 15% that I didn't deserve or guilt from the 10% that showed that they knew I'd done poorly.

These days my server starts with a 15% tip, what he/she does with it is up to him/her. It can go down for poor service or up for great service. I also temper this with mercy and the leading of the Lord. Really, an extra dollar is not gonna change my life, but it might add up for her.

The only time I really overtip is if I am camping at the table. You know, you and a girfriend share a meal and stay and talk all night? I figure I am "renting" the table and will tip a full tip for every time the table next me turns. I have been known to tip more than twice the meal. This is only fair as the server doesn't deserve to starve because I haven't seen my friend for serveral months and want to catch up.

Lara

IME, the people who don't tip are the ones who have never worked in service. For example, my dad is one of the worst tippers ever. He will not tip for buffets...even though I counted the server coming to our table of five 14 times between drink orders, refilling drinks, removing empty plates, and bringing the final bill. My mom and I hide money under the plates before we go (while dad is paying the bill) to make sure the server gets something! For traditional restaurants, he tips, but not great. I think he is stuck in 1965.

My sister and I both worked as waitstaff for many years. We tip well, but we also have high standards of what our dining experience will be. I am not afraid to tip poorly if the tip was not earned. For example, when we could see our food ready and getting cold while our hungry family sat waiting; the waitress did task after task for others because she did not understand that, "When the food is ready, you bring it out within 30 seconds!" I went to the kitchen window and served our family that night. :cursing: She also did not offer dessert (not that we would have chosen dessert, but it is part of good service). She was tipped, but not 15%.

You put a styrofoam container into a bag and expect a tip? NO

I DO tip for this because I have worked in many restaurants that I have not been tipped for this service.

When one is in a restaurant, one is essentially "renting" the server. The restaurant provides the servers as a courtesy for your convenience. When you order food, you are paying a part of their wages.

Consider this:

When I take an order via phone, AND get your name and phone number, AND explain menu choices to you over the phone because you do not have a plastic menu in front of you, AND review your order before hanging up because you will not be accessible readily once I am done on the phone....I am ignoring my other tables.

When I take your order to the kitchen and explain the details of it to the kitchen staff and that it will be take-out.....I am ignoring my other tables.

When I get your food ready (in a styrofoam box and bag)....I am ignoring my other tables.

When I prepare the extras for your meal: dressing in a little disposable cup, drinks with lids, counting straws, extra ketchups....I am ignoring my other tables.

When you arrive, and I PROMPTLY (at your convenience, not after my other tables have been taken care of), arrange for your payment and bring your food out to you, confirming that your order is correct as you ordered it....I am ignoring my other tables. (The goal is to get you in and out with hot food...even if everyone sitting at a table has to wait for their hot food).

Whenever I ignore my other tables for YOUR sake, I am working my butt off, and putting my own income (tips from the other tables) in jeopardy. And now you are not willing to hand me a couple of bucks in thanks.

I agree that you should not need to tip 15+% for carryout, but if you can afford to eat out, you can afford to tip a few bucks. I don't mean to disparage or embarrass you, but I hope that those reading this who do NOT tip for takeout will consider what it is like for the server.

RANT OVER.

Tipping is fairly low here, and not expected, and not particularly common. However, everyone (even servers who might make tips) MUST be paid minimum wage according to the Provincial Employment Standards Act. Minimum wage goes up to $9.50/hour as of tomorrow. It is/was $9.00/hour.

I tip good servers because I remember working as a waitress, barback and bartender for p*ss poor wages way back when (and in the States). Sometimes, it doesn't go over well. As in the time I had a waitress at my fave Menno restaurant run out to the parking lot to give me back the fiver I left for a tip. "I think this fell out of your wallet" she said. "No, it's your tip," I said. "But they already pay me," she says. Granted, she was fairly new there, but still... that's how uncommon tipping is around here.

Edited by Audrey

Consider this:

When I take an order via phone, AND get your name and phone number, AND explain menu choices to you over the phone because you do not have a plastic menu in front of you, AND review your order before hanging up because you will not be accessible readily once I am done on the phone....I am ignoring my other tables.

When I take your order to the kitchen and explain the details of it to the kitchen staff and that it will be take-out.....I am ignoring my other tables.

When I get your food ready (in a styrofoam box and bag)....I am ignoring my other tables.

When I prepare the extras for your meal: dressing in a little disposable cup, drinks with lids, counting straws, extra ketchups....I am ignoring my other tables.

When you arrive, and I PROMPTLY (at your convenience, not after my other tables have been taken care of), arrange for your payment and bring your food out to you, confirming that your order is correct as you ordered it....I am ignoring my other tables. (The goal is to get you in and out with hot food...even if everyone sitting at a table has to wait for their hot food).

Whenever I ignore my other tables for YOUR sake, I am working my butt off, and putting my own income (tips from the other tables) in jeopardy. And now you are not willing to hand me a couple of bucks in thanks.

I agree that you should not need to tip 15+% for carryout, but if you can afford to eat out, you can afftord to tip a few bucks. I don't mean to disparage or embarrass you, but I hope that those reading this who do NOT tip for takeout will consider what it is like for the server.

RANT OVER.

Yes, I do agree with tipping for takeouts in the scenarios you described. I always tip a few dollars.

I even tip at Starbucks, especially since I'm usually ordering several drinks---even though I know they aren't working for tips.

My problem is with the ubiquitous tip jars springing up everywhere, even in places where someone may just be taking your money and handing you something across a counter. It's crazy.

hmmm... I never thought of it this way. I usually tip a few dollars, but I never really thought about why. So now I know. Thanks. :001_smile:

A friend always leaves a tip even when none is deserved......but.......the last time he was at a restaraunt the tip should have been about $20 but the service was terrible. Wanting to leave a message but not have the waiter think he was a cheapskate by leaving no tip he left the $20....the right half of the bill, the left half he took with him.

My dad used to give the server a second chance. If the night was not going well he would put money down on the table and tell the server this is where your tip is at, it only goes down from here. Was it the right thing to do? Not sure, but it was effective.

I would not be surprised if there wasn't a little something extra from the server in your food. I'd never say something like that while food was still being served. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Mejane

What I pay for is service, not for the act of simply having my food cooked and put in a box. I also am a good tipper (about 20-25%), but refuse to tip when service really hasn't been provided.

I disagree with this. Maybe it depends upon the type of restaurant. I don't call in a lot of orders here. But, when we lived in NC I did. I would call our local Mexican place, they knew me. They got my order together just so with chips, salsa, the whole thing. I didn't tip 20%, but I did tip for that.

As a former server, I would be upset if I got less than 15% because it meant that I probably didn't do a good job. I thought my job was to make the evening an "event". You feed at home, you dine at a restaurant. Sometimes, I would get busy and ignore a table. I can't tell you which made me feel worse, guilt if they tipped me 15% that I didn't deserve or guilt from the 10% that showed that they knew I'd done poorly.

These days my server starts with a 15% tip, what he/she does with it is up to him/her. It can go down for poor service or up for great service. I also temper this with mercy and the leading of the Lord. Really, an extra dollar is not gonna change my life, but it might add up for her.

The only time I really overtip is if I am camping at the table. You know, you and a girfriend share a meal and stay and talk all night? I figure I am "renting" the table and will tip a full tip for every time the table next me turns. I have been known to tip more than twice the meal. This is only fair as the server doesn't deserve to starve because I haven't seen my friend for serveral months and want to catch up.

Lara

I agree with this. Our basic tip is 15%, 20% for great service or more when my friends and I are hanging out (especially in a group). We rarely tip less than 15%. I can only think of two times that we did not tip and that's because we left without eating (after waiting an hour in a half in one case and longer in the other, talking to the manager before we left both times).

I don't understand having to tip for a haircut or to get your nails done. I am paying for the service, why do I have to pay extra??

I'm not sure if stylists are paid an hourly wage. I don't think they are. I know that my stylist has to rent out her booth on a weekly basis from the salon owner at a cost of about 200.00/week. In addition she supplies all of her own styling tools and such. I don't mind tipping my stylist, and I tip her very well.

I do not tip hairdressers, baristas or mail man or....(insert whatever)....

So, that's why your hair looks like it does! :tongue_smilie: j/k really!*

Eh, for me, I love to tip. I'd rather give my discretionary income to people who are out hustling hard to make a living vs. those accosting me to give them something for their existence.

Today, winds were about 50 mph here and there off the ocean, and it was trash day. It's been a long while since the Christmas tip. Our trash bins, and recycle bins, were put back in our side yard, behind our gated fence. We have township employees who are only supposed to pick up our trash curbside. But, they make the extra effort to secure our cans after they empty them. A couple of busted trash and recycling cans would cost way more than the tip we leave the guys at Christmas. So we surely "get back" for our "donation." Plus, I just love to hear the hoots and hollers off the truck when they see the card (not even the amount inside). :)

*If you saw my hair right now, you'd wonder why on earth I do tip. :D (I'm way overdue for a cut).

For curbside take-out, we do tend to leave a smaller tip (10%), because the hostesses, etc. are doing some extra work for us, but not as much as if my family was there -- but tipping at Subway is a different story entirely. They aren't doing anything extra -- but their job. I often see tip jars at ice cream parlors, and even at the road-side mobile food carts (tipping the hot-man???)

Tipping for hair & nails... most of these are skilled technicians, and they have to pay to be there. They get a bit of the price, but most of it goes to the shop owner. They are more like indentured servants in some ways. Definitely employees. That's why so many of them want their own salon (to make more money!)

I do think it would be better to have dining without tipping, and to pay people a fair wage for the job that is expected -- it should be the business of the store owner to hire people for good service, not the customer's job to police the work crew.

My husband and I have both been servers, we have four children that do very well in restaurants, but kids in general result in more food on the floor, and we like to take our time and enjoy our meal. As a result of these factors, we tend to tip well provided we receive good service. We will use our tip to reflect our satisfaction with the service.

With that being said, the thing I really truly hate, and the surest way to have the tip amount decreased is the "drop the food and run" server. A good server should check back with you to see if the food is good, is your order correct, do you need anything else, and do you need a refill. I HATE when I get a server that drops the food and the check and you never see them again. I especially hate it when they drop the check the same time as the food and then they are done with you.

My husband and I both like to cook and are very good at it. There's not much we can't make at home. If we have gone out to eat, it was most likely for the pleasure of the experience. I expect to get good service, and I will be happy to reward it.

If you forget to bring my salad, my glass sat empty for half the meal, and my kids didn't get the ketchup we asked for, and never stopped back to find these things out, I'm going to leave a smaller tip and let the manager know.

I worked as a waitress for many years in high school and college. It was an excellent, but difficult job, and I made great money.

I used to get really upset that people kept tipping the bad waitresses, because if they quit tipping them, they might have quit waitressing, which would have meant that I wouldn't ahve had to help take care of their poor customers who would call out to me as I walked by. :glare:

We tip very well for good service. Dh and I left $8 on a $12 check the other night at Friendly's because the guy was friendly, the place was slow, and he brought me extra peanut butter for my sundae. :001_smile: I also tip our capret guy, the guy at the elevator, delivery men, ec. if they are helpful and nice. And I always tip our hairdresser too much, because then she is always available when I need her. :D

That said, I will not tip anyone well who is rude to me or acts like they are doing me a favor to do their job. I see nothing wrong with that. I leave 5%. For good service, we tip 20-25%. I also double tip when I am sitting at the table for a long, long time with friends. I am costing that waitress money, I know, and I like to make it up to her.

About take-out: I worked in a sit-down restaurant that also did carryout. When people came to the carry-out counter, a waitress with a section on the floor had to wait on them. Sometimes they would just stand there, because everyone was so busy. If someone took time out to help them when no one else would, they deserved a tip. If they had had someone dedicated to that job, they would have been making real money and not $2.13, so they wouldn't have needed tips, unless they were overly helpful.

I think the only excuse for not tipping is, "I can't afford it." If you can afford the restaurant meal, the haircut, the thing being delivered, you can afford the tip. :001_smile:

Just an interesting article I read this morning....coincidentally discussed in that thread:

http://live.gourmet.com/2010/09/app-exclusive-the-death-of-tipping/

I couldn't disagree more. I think waiting tables is one of the last places one can really exercise one's love of freedom at the tender age of 18. Knowing your income depends on how good your service is makes you work harder to earn it. This is why I get better service at a restaurant from a waiter making $2.12 an hour than I do even from the "Shift Manager" at the local McDonald's. The cost of the meal doesn't change that, either: IHOP and Denny's waitresses, lacking social grace as they *may* be (not always so) bust their behinds to make sure I enjoy my meal while it's still hot, while at the Dairy Queen I have waited over 20 minutes for a "fast food" meal because there were TWO minimum wage workers who were just as happy to slooooowly dip dilly bars as assemble my order. The difference: the tips, not the quality or even cost of the food they served me. In fact, it is often possible to get served better food in less time with great service at a restaurant as at a fast food joint at lunch time, as long as you're willing to pay the waiter $15 of your lunch-priced meal. Not a bad deal, in my opinion!

I have waited tables, and I can tell you that "just doing your job" will earn you about half minimum wage most places. That includes garnishing dishes, side-work (rolling silverware, refilling food stations, cleaning table center pieces, refilling condiment containers, etc.), etc. Your customers *should* tip you because you are providing *them* a service that doesn't benefit the restaurant in any way. If you don't want to tip them, there are many restaurants that no longer use waiters that serve delicious, quality food that you can patronize instead (check out Jason's Deli!).

I also take exception to the idea that serving a $100 plate doesn't take more skill than serving a $20 plate. I've work places like The Black Eyed Pea (family dining, similar to Cracker Barrel) to The Toque (an upscale Montrose-area restaurant in Houston where the cheap lunch dishes would have set you back $30 in the early 90's). At the former, my training consisted of 3 days of following another waiter around and then doing all their work for them for 2 more days without getting to keep the tips. At the latter, my training consisted of weeks of orientation, lessons on etiquette, daily food tastings, wine classes, and very strict rules about wardrobe, posture, behavior, and particular ways to open bottles, present checks, and even how to grasp, carry, and place plates before customers. I was also required to know EVERY ingredient in EVERY dish so that I could answer *without hesitation* a customer who had questions about vegan dishes, kosher restrictions, or nut or dairy allergies. In the end, though, most waiters don't make a whole lot more at the expensive restaurants (some, not much) because table turn-over is slower. But at least the customers are usually nicer, more polite, and tip more appropriately.

I do not tip out of some fear of shame from others--if anything, I'm more likely in some circles to be ridiculed for GIVING rather than for WITHOLDING a tip (such as by this author). I tip out of gratitude to a person who is willing to work hard so that I don't have to, who can advise me on the dishes on the menu and help me find a good complementary wine on an unfamiliar list, who wisks my plate away when I'm done so I can lean in for more good conversation with my friends and family. To me, it is a "thank you, you were wonderful" at the end, not a "here, now who's bigger?!" statement on my part.

Waiting tables is one of the last non-union places where someone without so much as a GED can rake in a decent living without having to go into business for themselves. It is the kind of profession where noone ever gets an undeserved raise, and those who do get a raise have invariably earned it that day, where you can be assured that your sloppy, lazy co-worker is not making as much as your industrious co-workers no matter who they're related to or fooling around with because their boses aren't in middle management, their bosses are the masses of people who come in off the streets each day, from all walks of life, from all educational backgrounds, who just want to sit back and let someone else wash the dishes for a change.

There is a huge misunderstanding among many Americans who think that servers receive wages much less than minimum wage.

If the tips are insufficient to reach the standard minimum wage, the company is legally required to make up the difference. So let's call the front end of a 'tip' what it is - a subsidy for the restaurant.

From http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits.

I agree that a tip should be a reward for extraordinary service.

There is a huge misunderstanding among many Americans who think that servers receive wages much less than minimum wage.

If the tips are insufficient to reach the standard minimum wage, the company is legally required to make up the difference. So let's call the front end of a 'tip' what it is - a subsidy for the restaurant.

I mentioned this. However, it doesn't always happen in practice. Several former servers have confirmed that it doesn't always happen. Many servers are young and don't know labor laws.

I'm not afraid. There have been times where I have lessened a tip and once where I intentionally left NO tip. The woman made it obvious that she did not want to serve our family, that she thought she would be tipped better by other customers (those sans children), and we were just a nuisance by being there. She's right, with that attitude, she received no tip.

Just an FYI for future....leaving no tip did not likely get your point across. She probably figured she was right to snub you because you were a cheapskate because you left no tip at all. Same with leaving just a 5 or 10% tip...the waitress figures you're cheap.

Next time, leave a few coins. That tells the waitress if she has any brains that you are not CHEAP but that she needs to think about what she did to deserve such a snub. Back in the "old days" this was akin to leaving a dime in the muck from your milkshake, lol. Yeah, I'm really that old.

Or...if you're not comfortable with that....an above poster mentioned another good way to get YOUR point across....give the tip to the manager and tell them why you aren't giving it to the waitress. No waitress wants to have to collect her tips from the manager along with a lecture. Now...sometimes that isn't going to help because the manager will just pocket it, lol....but then you've got bigger problems. I am one of those annoying people who will write to the main office about my complaints when I get home from a poor experience. Used to be a lot harder to do finding their mailing address, typing or handwriting a letter, finding envelope, stamp and getting it to the post office. But, now 90% of the places have websites with an easy "contact us" tab. Sometimes I don't get any response, and thus know that customer service is not a priority throughout that chain and shop accordingly....but most times I get at least an apology and quite often I get a coupon for a future visit....some as small as $5 coupon, but occasionally a BOGO and once we got a coupon for all of us to return for free. Sadly that one the return service wasn't any better, so I gave up.

my only contribution to the tipping topic:

please, please, PLEASE ~ tip your papergirl/boy. EVEN IF YOU PAY THE NEWSPAPER DIRECTLY. (as most do now) ... give 'em a nice thick christmas card. ;)

they work their tails off most of the time. they're out there in all the same horrid weather as the mail delivery people who are making a pretty penny but they're getting the scraps.

~mom of a former paper girl.

[which makes me a bit biased i guess, but hey.]

Just an FYI for future....leaving no tip did not likely get your point across. She probably figured she was right to snub you because you were a cheapskate because you left no tip at all. Same with leaving just a 5 or 10% tip...the waitress figures you're cheap.

Next time, leave a few coins. That tells the waitress if she has any brains that you are not CHEAP but that she needs to think about what she did to deserve such a snub. Back in the "old days" this was akin to leaving a dime in the muck from your milkshake, lol. Yeah, I'm really that old.

Or...if you're not comfortable with that....an above poster mentioned another good way to get YOUR point across....give the tip to the manager and tell them why you aren't giving it to the waitress. No waitress wants to have to collect her tips from the manager along with a lecture. Now...sometimes that isn't going to help because the manager will just pocket it, lol....but then you've got bigger problems. I am one of those annoying people who will write to the main office about my complaints when I get home from a poor experience. Used to be a lot harder to do finding their mailing address, typing or handwriting a letter, finding envelope, stamp and getting it to the post office. But, now 90% of the places have websites with an easy "contact us" tab. Sometimes I don't get any response, and thus know that customer service is not a priority throughout that chain and shop accordingly....but most times I get at least an apology and quite often I get a coupon for a future visit....some as small as $5 coupon, but occasionally a BOGO and once we got a coupon for all of us to return for free. Sadly that one the return service wasn't any better, so I gave up.

I'm aware of that...however, it would've saved me money. I'm not paying for services not rendered or for being treated badly. Generally, I would have spoken with her manager, but another server came by and filled our drinks once as well as being friendly (still he had his tables to deal with). We gave him her tip and informed him why ;)

I'm aware of that...however, it would've saved me money. I'm not paying for services not rendered or for being treated badly. Generally, I would have spoken with her manager, but another server came by and filled our drinks once as well as being friendly (still he had his tables to deal with). We gave him her tip and informed him why ;)

My friend and I did this once. The host brought us our drinks, refilled them, brought our food. The only thing the waitress did was bring our check. We gave our tip to the host.

From http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits.

I agree that a tip should be a reward for extraordinary service.

This misses the point. For the server, not commenting on the structure, they need tips to earn a livable wage. The system deserves to be scrutinized, but in the meantime the server is working for $2.13 per hour.

And let's not forget that changing the structure won't come out of the restaurant's profits. It will come out of ours.

Reward for extraordinary service? A tip, in most restaurants, only serves to bring the hourly rate to adequate.

I think people should read "Nickel and Dimed" for an interesting experience for what most wait staff experiences.