Menu

s/o flashing lights-If you've gotten a speeding ticket, how over the limit were you?

Someone mentioned on the other thread that they got a ticket for going 2 mph over the limit, which really shocked me. My speeding ticket was for going 77mph in a 60mph zone. :blushing: I'm actually glad I got it, and it was a good lesson for me--I no longer speed. But it seems silly to give a ticket to someone going two miles over the limit. :driving:

I've never been ticketed for speeding but was with my dh when he was ticketed for going five over. It was in TX (we were on our way back home to CA) and they have a different speed limit for night driving. It wasn't dark but the po said the night limit was already in effect. :glare:

Yea that was me. Two miles over the speed limit. I really thought that I'd just get a warning but nooooo. I think that officer didn't like me for some reason. Okay, okay it was probably a bad night and he was just being in an unreasonable mood. I didn't contest it though, since it was a different county than were I lived. I paid my fine and became a snail when driving. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, heavens. In '04, we had just moved back to the US, after living in Germany for 3 years and I completely forgot I wasn't on the Autobahn! :001_huh: I was doing 98 in a 55. James Bond was not pleased when I told him that. I was on the interstate! A 55mph speed limit on the interstate? Ridiculous! The ticket cost a small fortune.

I was so happy when we found out in '08 that we were moving back to Germany because it meant I could drive fast again! Wheeeee!

Today I was in the slow lane (yes, the right lane is considered the slow lane and the left the fast or passing lane-I wish the US would figure that out) doing about 110mph and so many cars were passing me! Gah! I like to drive fast. There are of course speed limits in some areas, but once you're away from towns and if there's no construction, you just drive. BTW, the fastest I've ever gone on the Autobahn is 140mph. :auto:

On a side note, in Germany, if you're driving "too slowly" in the left hand lane and holding up traffic, you can get a ticket!

I once got a ticket for going 57 in a 55 and my dh recently got a ticket for going 20 in a 15.

My biggest ticket was for going 70 in a 50. It was 2 am in SC. It dropped from 65 to 50 suddenly, while going down a hill and the cop was sitting at the speed limit sign.

I've only received the 2 speeding tickets.

I loved driving in Germany, btw.

Here we just get flashed by cameras - a ticket comes in the mail several weeks later :tongue_smilie:

I hate that system.....but then again the Autobahn.....130 MPH an great roads. One of the few things that they have right in Europe, but then again don't try that in Switzerland and the UK now has average speed cameras which take speed between two fixed points. Much as I hate them I will take the speed trap in the US over the systems they have in Europe.

Edited by pqr

I've only been ticketed twice. Once, I didn't realise what the speed limit was and thought I was going with traffic. The other was a speed trap in an area where there was no warning of a speed limit change from the highway. The cop didn't even have a radar gun...he "clocked" me, he claimed. Funny, because I was able to tell him what speed I was going and it was only a certain number over the speed limit and he was claiming I was going a goo 15mph faster than that (I keep an eye on my speedometer). He stood there being a jerk about it while I was in angry tears from full breasts and leaking onto my shirt. I was trying to get home from the dr office to feed my infant. The summons came in the mail, I mailed the fee and corrected the paperwork as to the speed I was going (still speeding, but not what the cop claimed). Got a letter back in the mail saying that I had to go to the magistrate to dispute it. Uhm, no, I couldn't. I rarely was able to escape the house at the time due to the number of children I had and dh's work schedule. Also, I obviously was not refusing to pay the fine as I sent the payment. *eyeroll* JERKS. It's all about the money, not actually keeping people safe (at least where that cop was concerned).

I got one on my last day of work, the day I got laid off. That was a cruddy day, let me tell you. I think I was going 11 miles or so above the limit. I thought the limit was 45 there, but it was 35. Or maybe it was 25 and I thought it was 35. In any case, I was going a mile or two above what I thought was the limit, so I was speeding either way. The only other time I've gotten tickets, it was for parking - we used to live on a street that did street sweeping a couple of times a month, and sometimes I'd forget.

I think my ticket was for about 10 over but I was going 20ish over. The cop lowered the mph over, because he could see what I was doing. I was in an exit only lane to the freeway and didn't realize it. The car beside me wouldn't let me move over by my slowing down, so I had to speed in front of them to get off the exit ramp. He also said he wouldn't ticket me for crossing the solid white line due to circumstance.

I've never been ticketed for speeding but was with my dh when he was ticketed for going five over. It was in TX (we were on our way back home to CA) and they have a different speed limit for night driving. It wasn't dark but the po said the night limit was already in effect. :glare:

They have a different speed limit for out of state drivers everywhere you know. :D

In the mid 80s when limit on expressway was 55mph, I was ticketed for going 70mph in a rural area around midnight.

About 7 years ago, I was ticketed for going 45mph in a 40mph zone. Foolishly I assumed the lights were flashing because the police wanted me to pull over to clear the road for him. Imagine my surprise when he pulled in behind me.

One ticket ever, knock on wood, driving in a 70 mph zone, going downhill, I was caught going 74. It was driving across Texas in the middle of nowhere. My foot must have gotten heavy or something. I never used to speed (on purpose). Now I intentionally go a couple of miles over the speed limit. Usually, not always, this is because if I drove the limit, I'd be the one holding up traffic, potentially causing an accident. I like the idea of going with the flow of traffic.

Umm, I thought they didn't bother giving tickets for 5 or less over the speed limit! I kind of regularly go 5 mph over. :001_huh: My ticket for speeding was for about 7-8 mph over.

A friend of mine is a tractor trailer driver and they recently told his company that they are now issuing tickets in our state for less than 5mph over the speed limit.

We just made a three state journey and I noticed in all three states the truckers were averaging slower speeds, so maybe it's true in more than one state.

I've received 3 speeding tickets. One for going 69mph on the interstate (then 55mph). I had spent all day shopping and was giddy driving home. I was also like 19.

The other two were on the same stretch of road, just outside Corporate Woods for those of you in OPKS. Once I swear I wasn't speeding and he clocked the guy beside me. I made some smart (but not disrespectful) remark about it and still got the ticket. Obviously.

The other time was the same stretch of road and I was taking a friend to lunch. I was speeding that time. It was less about 6 miles over the speed limit.

Awhile back my DH got pulled over by the county police...they told him to watch his speed because the state troopers were out and they (county cops) didn't want him to get a ticket. :lol:

I just got my first ticket last Tuesday...It was for expired registration. I'm guilty, but irritated that he pulled me over just for that. :tongue_smilie: In 13+ years of driving, I'd never been pulled over.

My DH on the other hand constantly gets pulled over (and rarely gets a ticket). He's usually going 7-10 over.

I was taking care of mom, it was near the end of her life. I simply had too much on my mind. It had been the first time in weeks I had left the house, and dh called me to tell me he couldn't get her to eat.

Enough said.

:leaving:

but I was going 57 in a 35 and I was SO emotional when I got pulled over that the cop sat and talked with me until I calmed down. He then let me go with a warning, and asked that I never speed through his town ever again because he didn't want to have to pull me over EVER again.:blushing:

i've only had two and they were photo radar - i don't know how far over the first was, as we didn't get it in the mail (we'd moved within town but dh didn't update the info with the dmv, he just paid the unknown ticket when he had to re-register stuff months later)...the second was for 90-something in a 70.

Coincidence? All of my tickets have been at the end of the month. Now I make sure I stay within the speed limit for the last week of the month and haven't had anymore tickets for quite a while.

I know they say there are no quotas, but I know we got called to the carpet (as a group or singularly) if we were not "doing our job". We all knew the "doing our job" was code of not writing enough tickets.

The angriest I ever got happened because I was assigned desk duty for a month, but got fussed at by the city manager for not writing enough tickets.

ETA: To answer the question, I think the biggest gap between speed limit and speed stopped for was 53 in a 35. I got a ticket for that one. It was the middle of the night in the downtown area. Now, I've been stopped many many times. I have not been handed the yellow copy every time I got stopped. The last time I was stopped was last month for going 50 100 feet prior to reaching the sign that say the speed limit was 50. I accelerated too soon.

Edited by Parrothead