Menu

Poll: Is it unethical to flashing lights to warn of speed trap

Flashing lights to warn of speed trap  

1. 1. Flashing lights to warn of speed trap

• It is unethical.
    • Give me a break, it's totally ethical!
    • Other.

And one of their favorite spots is right across the street from McDonalds where the police officers get free food.

I wonder if people speeding make more unsafe lane changes than those going the speed limit.

Speeding is actually one of the lesser causes of accidents, and I'm talking about people driving per the conditions on the road, not someone who disregards traffic, weather, and the lay of the land, wizzing by in his BMW.

These are some of the top causes of accidents:

Unsafe Lane Changing

Distracted Drivers (cell phones, putting on makeup, etc)

Driver Fatigue

Drunk Driving

Equipment Failure (brakes, tires, etc)

Poor Roadway Maintenance (as well as road construction)

Weather

Tailgating (Aggressive Drivers)

In my area speed traps are there for $$ only. They pop up at the end of the month like clock work. Rarely do I see are traps/police on some of our more dangerous roads, in which speeding is rarely an issue, but aggressive driving is.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never speed. Ever. Absolutely never do I speed.

When I was 15 years old, I was getting dressed for church one Sunday. I remember my dad calling me to the top of the stairs to ask, "______, weren't you friends with Jimmy W__________?"

"I am friends with him. Why? Why did you put that in the past tense?"

"Um, Honey, he was killed yesterday by a speeding car on Parkway Avenue...." :crying: He was forever gone.

I never forgot Jimmy's sunny smile, his ready laugh, his mischievous practical jokes, his friendly friendship. He was a school mate, a good and kind young man in my neighborhood, and a joy to all who knew him.

He was killed by a car going too fast. I never speed.

I don't feel obligated to warn those who do that they may be caught up the road. I hope they do get caught. Perhaps the consequences of a fine and points on a driving record will make them stop speeding.

My husband writes tickets to "flashers" He says you warn the person that police are ahead. Well...for the most part...people only think about someone like you and I and dont think about the other "types" of people. The criminals you warn. He says if you flash someone that has a warrant, for example, they may get prepared to use a weapon ...whereas without the warning they would not be prepared to use defense. That is only one example but those are the types of people I mean...criminals that have bad intent and you are giving warning...police ahead get ready.

You might not think it is a huge deal...but it isnt worth me risking my hubbys life to save the other person a ticket. What does it matter to you that they get a ticket for doing something illegal in the first place? So you could end up getting the ticket for distracting other drivers and it costs you money.

I have to add...I dont think it is a matter of ethics.

The police dont sit and run radar to attack or be mean..they are simply doing what they are HIRED to do. They are paid to do that. It is that simple. That's their job...one portion of their job is to keep our roads safe and enforce the rules of the road. He tells all the people that complain or get mad at him....very nice and calm...are you speeding? did you break the law? then that is the only reason we met today. period.

Edited by mchel210

Without reading all of the other responses, I'll just say that ethics and laws are different, and I would not trouble my mind over not following laws I believe to be wrong. I'm hardly a scofflaw, but I set my ethical standards on principles, not legal standards, and those things occasionally differ.

I already voted and commented that I thought it was the kind and generous thing to do...Today I asked my hubby, who has traveled that very same highway for the past 4 years, for his opinion. He said that he never flashes his lights to warn speeders. He believes that the road is made dangerous by them, who pass him every single day going at least 20mph faster than the limit. They would be best served by being caught and held responsible.

I already voted and commented that I thought it was the kind and generous thing to do...Today I asked my hubby, who has traveled that very same highway for the past 4 years, for his opinion. He said that he never flashes his lights to warn speeders. He believes that the road is made dangerous by them, who pass him every single day going at least 20mph faster than the limit. They would be best served by being caught and held responsible.

:iagree:

My husband writes tickets to "flashers"

He wouldn't do it in my state, because it's not illegal.

He says if you flash someone that has a warrant, for example, they may get prepared to use a weapon ...whereas without the warning they would not be prepared to use defense. That is only one example but those are the types of people I mean...criminals that have bad intent and you are giving warning...police ahead get ready.

What? This strikes me as a really odd thing to say. I mean, before he pulls someone over, he has his lights and siren going. That's certainly enough of a "warning" if someone wanted to "prepare to use a weapon." It's not like they'd be any more prepared if someone flashed their lights. Honestly, I've never heard anything like this before.:confused: Using your dh's logic in that scenario, the bad guy would be appropriately warned and would not get pulled over, thereby saving your dh's life.

Because that is unnecessary IMHO. There was a jump in deaths though when the speed limit went from 55 to 65 and as an RN who worked in a critical care trauma unit for years I think that is sad:(.

"It was believed that, based on a drop in fatalities the first year the limit was imposed, the 55 mph limit increased highway safety.

Other studies were more mixed on this point, and a report by the Cato Institute showed that the safety record actually worsened in the first few months of the 55 mph speed limit, suggesting that the fatality drop was a short-lived anomaly that had disappeared by 1978."

From the Cato Study:

"But almost all measures of highway safety show improvement, not more deaths and injuries since 1995. Despite the fact that 33 states raised their speed limits immediately after the repeal of the mandatory federal speed limit, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported last October that "the traffic death rate dropped to a record low level in 1997." Moreover, the average fatality rate even fell in the states that raised their speed limits"

What? This strikes me as a really odd thing to say. I mean, before he pulls someone over, he has his lights and siren going. That's certainly enough of a "warning" if someone wanted to "prepare to use a weapon." It's not like they'd be any more prepared if someone flashed their lights. Honestly, I've never heard anything like this before.:confused: Using your dh's logic in that scenario, the bad guy would be appropriately warned and would not get pulled over, thereby saving your dh's life.

:iagree:

I'm betting there are a lot more people hurt or killed as a side effect of traffic stops than there are hurt because a criminal has advance warning. We were in an accident on an interstate several years ago that occurred because of a sudden lane shift (not our fault) when a police car pulled someone over and she didn't pull completely off the road. I wish someone had warned her!

I guess it depends on what the goal is. If it's to get people to slow down and drive safely, flashing your lights makes sense. If it's to catch and punish speeders, it doesn't make sense.

I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other, but I'm not convinced about the "warning the criminals" angle.

It is amazing that there are people here who never speed! I certainly don't set out to go over the speed limit, but I occasionally do look down at the speedometer and utter, "Whoooa, Nellie!" (my mother's phrase!) and put the break on. I admire those who can keep track every single moment.

As far as flashing lights, I have always appreciated the gesture from others, even if I don't need to slow down. We're all in this together, and most people are not dangerous drivers. (Some are, of course, and in that case, they'll hopefully get caught soon enough.) Slowing down is a safe thing, regardless of the reason. A little kindness passed on to the next guy is never a bad thing.

:iagree: My intention is to follow the speed limits. However, I've certainly had a "whoa nellie" experience from time to time. I appreciate when someone flashes their lights at me because it is a friendly reminder to slow down if necessary, or sometimes alerts me to a speed limit change that I may have missed.

Sometimes when I notice someone who's really flying along toward me - noticeably speeding-, I'll flash the lights even if there is no speed trap; they know what it means so they slow down, which is my goal.

If they ignore me, well, I guess they'll get caught when a speed trap IS there...and that's good too.

I agree with the folks who complain about some of the RIDICULOUS speed traps, though...we have one near us, and they're just revenue generators. It's NOT about safety in some cases.

I love this- flashing someone who is speeding, even if there is not a speed trap ahead!

In my opinion, flashing speeders to notify them of an upcoming speed trap is not aiding them in speeding. They are already either speeding or not of their own volition. Flashing them helps people to take notice and slow down, which is a good thing. One might say- "Ha! I hope they get caught!" But you may as well be saying, "Ha! I hope they cause an accident!" because isn't that just as likely if they continue to speed? A chronic speeder is only going to slow down long enough to spy the police car and pass it, but a generally law abiding person may keep the gentle reminder in mind for weeks ahead. I know that's been my experience! And I'd much rather give a chronic speeder a momentary pass than fail to remind a distracted driver. JMO. :001_smile:

In TN, it is legal because it is considered to be freedom of speech. I do it. I am always glad for the warning when it is given to me. Sometimes, your speed just creeps up on you without your noticing it. However, my normal use for flashing headlights is to let trucks know I am yielding for them to pull in front of me on the interstate safely. headlights have many different uses on the road. They are definitely a means of communication between vehicles.

I just looked it up - it is illegal to flash your highbeams to signal someone (for any reason) in Washington state. That makes a huge difference to me. I've never actually signaled anyone (though I've been signaled) and I now I know that I won't.

I don't flash my highbeams, I flash my lights on and off. Is that illegal? Or is the problem that flashing highbeams at people is dangerous?

eta: Never mind, here is a list of statutes. It's not illegal here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing#United_States

Edited by Mrs Mungo

We do not need to slow down since we believe in obeying the law:D I think flashing the lights is unethical since it condones unlawful behavior IMHO. Frankly, I think the speed limit should have remained at 55 mph since it saves lives.

I see you live in the east. I'd like to see how you like driving 55 miles/hour when you are 100 miles from the nearest good shopping and 30 minutes to a decent grocery store. And you have a very flat, straight road with good visibility. I've driven in Bucks, Co. Pa, and I've driven I-70 through western Kansas. There is a difference. National speed limits do. not. make. sense.

If I saw someone FLYING by at RIDICULOUS speeds that made me think "Wow, that guy's an idiot, I hope he gets pulled over and gets a ticket!"... I wouldn't flash THAT guy.

Maybe that would be one time it was ethical--presuming, of course, there wasn't actually a CHP officer waiting to bust him :D

Otherwise, "flashing" makes one an accessory to a crime, and it is certainly not ethical behavior.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I just looked it up - it is illegal to flash your highbeams to signal someone (for any reason) in Washington state. That makes a huge difference to me. I've never actually signaled anyone (though I've been signaled) and I now I know that I won't.

It's not necessary to flash your high beams. If I see someone has forgotten to put on their head lights in the dark I just flash my head lights off and on to let them know,without using the high beam.

Growing up in the boonies - flashing lights meant "watch out! Slow down!" Not necessarily a cop lurking (we didn't have any in our town actually! LOL) - more often a herd of deer or turkeys or a bear or some other furry woodland creature was meandering across the road, or even perhaps a chunk of tree limb had fallen during the storm. It just meant "slow your booty down cuz you'll regret it if you don't"

I do flash for all "hazards" in the road - including speed traps. Although down here in FL hardly anyone seems to know what it means. :tongue_smilie:

I am darn near 50 years old and have lived in about half of the states in the union and I have never heard of this practice although I would slow down if someone did this to me. I do know that if all the traffic in front of you slows down there is probably a reason. I also know that if truckers slow down it means there is a cop up ahead. I have only heard of flashing your lights to alert someone that their lights are off or that their high beams are on, that there are deer or other dangers in the road, that someone can pass you.

I don't make a habit of speeding but I have looked down before and realized that I was going faster than I was aware of. I have no problem with the thought of giving someone a heads up about cops in hiding. Around here cops just pull off the side of the road and you can clearly see them from pretty far ahead. IMO, if someone gets pulled over in this situation, they deserve it. Not because they were speeding but because they weren't paying attention.

Anyhow, it is apparently legal in my state (for the reason I would assume it to be) and I certainly can't imagine what would be unethical about giving someone a gentle reminder to obey the law. According to logic many people are using here, it should be illegal for stores to have signs that remind patrons that shoplifting is illegal and they are being watched, or for states to put up signs letting drivers know that a certain stretch of road is being monitored under radar or signs that post your speed. This is assuming that the intent is to actually decrease crime.

Hmm. All the statute said was highbeams so I guess that would mean that low beams would be ok?

I think the problem with high beams is that when driving in the dark, they can temporarily disturb your eyesight. Have you ever had someone's very bright high beams shining in your eyes ? I don't know if it's true for everyone, maybe my eyes are too sensitive to light, but I know it messes up my eyesight temporarily.

By just turning your lights off and on a couple of times it sends the message to the other driver without irritating their eye sight.

• 3 months later...

IMO it's not unethical at all to flash lights if it is a true "speed trap" with rapidly dropping speed limits and signs that are purposefully difficult to see, that exists only for the purpose of generating revenue...it's the speed trap that is unethical ! I also think it is unethical in a scary, out of control police-state sort of way to have laws prohibiting drivers from communicating with each other this way...free speech, man. (insert peace sign smiley here) ;)

I liked the way it was in Belgium- standard speed zones. ONe speed for divided highways (about 75 Mph), one for rural undivided highways (60mph), one for cities (30 mph), and a seldom used one for very slow residential streets like a dead end (12.5 MPH).

There are variations, but essentially it's 70mph on divided highways, 60mph on undivided highways, 30mph in towns.

Laura

If it gets someone to slow down, I can't see why it would be unethical. I'm *helping* law enforcement! LOL!! :tongue_smilie:

Yep. That's my view. It's no different than leaning over and reminding dh there's a slower speed there than he thinks. Or giving a shout out to my kid to be careful when they are riding bikes.

I don't think anyone flashes to endorse Or encourage getting away with speeding.

It is a warning to slow down. Nothing more.

I had no idea that flashing lights meant "look out for cops"! lol ... I do take flashing lights as a warning of sorts, though -- meaning the oncoming driver should be on the lookout for something up ahead -- kind of a general "keep your eyes open." I think I've only used flashing brights to warn oncoming people of deer grazing by the road.