Menu

I'm getting scammed on HSC. What do I do if a mo actually arrives?

I placed a $20 book for sale on HSC. Got an email on a Tues night saying he wanted it. I responded on Wed saying send me a postal money order and your mailing address. Thursday he responds saying he is going out of town but will send it on Monday. I think okay, no problem. But he adds he'll send me $30 instead to make up for the delay. I told him that wasn't necessary and to send me his mailing address (2nd request). I also specifically said to get the mo from the Post Office in that email.

A week later (Fri.) I emailed again to see if he had mailed payment. Also said send me your mailing address for 3rd time. He responds Sat saying he had been sick and is having his secretary mail out the mo on Monday. That was this week. So in theory the payment should arrive maybe today or tomorrow.

But here's the thing. I was already getting a hinky feeling about this guy. English isn't his first language. He keeps blowing off my request for a mailing address and the delay in payment.

Then today I got this email from "Central Investigation Agency(C.I.A)**Transaction Alert)**" ( posted it below). I mean really, give me a break. It had some cheesy CIA logo clip art on it but not a bit of info! LOL!

So my question is, what do I do if this mysterious money order shows up? I'm cancelling my transaction with him either way. Do I just send it back? Do I turn it in? And to who? If I send it back should I send it certified/signed reciept to prove I sent it?

Central Investigation Agency Fraud Watch Department

In Association with E-M LINK PROVIDER

OFFICER IN-CHARGE:

NAME: Sir. Scott Williams

C.I.A Internet Transaction Alert

Attention: Good Day....

The Central Investigation Agency(CIA),Has been notified by Mr Donald Micheal here in this office of investigations today,that you have an ongoing transaction regarding a book purchase from you..He lay this complaint to us about his secretary issuing you a Check in your name which is supposed to be for another purchase,and will be delivered to your door-step any moment from Thursday/Friday..

So the Central Investigation Agency (CIA), United States, in conjunction with the Government Monitory Organization, Has screened through our various Monitoring Networks concerning fraud and has been confirmed and notified that the transaction you have with Mr Donald Micheal is Legal and you have the Lawful Right to proceed further with the transaction. We advise you to go ahead with receiving the check as we are monitoring all their services and network and we have also confirmed that the Check is Real/Valid and not a counterfeit one.

For your own good you are advised to notify on us once you receive the check for further Instructions and also confirm to us that you receive this mail within the next 24hours..This Transaction has been confirmed legal and you are to follow this instructions while you keep us updated for more details..

Blessing to you and your family.

With Warms Regards

Sir. Scott Williams

Wow. The CIA is really branching out. I didn't know they do check verifications for homeschool used book purchases. ;):lol:

I doubt you get anything from the guy. But, if you do, I think I'd call the police dept.'s fraud department & see if they want the info.

Also: http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx#item-3 (found through http://www.cybercrime.gov/reporting.htm)

I recently got this one:

Good Day,my Son saw your book advert as listed on homeschool classifieds and he gave me your contact to email you,so i will like to know if the book is still available for sale?

I thought it sounded funny, but wasn't sure that it was a scam yet, so I replied that the item was available... then got this:

Good day seller,

How are you doing today,thanks for your swift response and good to hear from you...I want you to calculate the total cost including shipment to (1638 Commerce Ave., Box 145, Longview, Washington 98632) and get back to me immediately so that i can issue out a Check/money order to you....So i want you to get back to me with your Full Name and Address where i can send the Check/money order to you and once you receive payment,you send the book to the above address.....

N:B ...You can also include your phone number so that i can call you when the money order is sent...Thanks

There is a warning message on H.C. about this particular scam, as well as a few others. I'm not sure exactly what they're trying to do here. I did not respond again, and they have not either.

Don't these people have anything better to do than try to rip off homeschooling parents????

Central Investigation Agency Fraud Watch Department

In Association with E-M LINK PROVIDER

OFFICER IN-CHARGE:

NAME: Sir. Scott Williams

C.I.A Internet Transaction Alert

Attention: Good Day....

The Central Investigation Agency(CIA),Has been notified by Mr Donald Micheal here in this office of investigations today,that you have an ongoing transaction regarding a book purchase from you..He lay this complaint to us about his secretary issuing you a Check in your name which is supposed to be for another purchase,and will be delivered to your door-step any moment from Thursday/Friday..

So the Central Investigation Agency (CIA), United States, in conjunction with the Government Monitory Organization, Has screened through our various Monitoring Networks concerning fraud and has been confirmed and notified that the transaction you have with Mr Donald Micheal is Legal and you have the Lawful Right to proceed further with the transaction. We advise you to go ahead with receiving the check as we are monitoring all their services and network and we have also confirmed that the Check is Real/Valid and not a counterfeit one.

For your own good you are advised to notify on us once you receive the check for further Instructions and also confirm to us that you receive this mail within the next 24hours..This Transaction has been confirmed legal and you are to follow this instructions while you keep us updated for more details..

Blessing to you and your family.

With Warms Regards

Sir. Scott Williams

This is hilarious. :lol:

I sent you a pm.:001_smile:

But, I also got 2 different scam e-mail responses from HSC website buyer this week!!!

I must say it is not a comforting feeling.....becareful out there....

& do not respond to them.

If it sounds strange....please be careful!!!:001_smile:

I recently got this one:

Good Day,my Son saw your book advert as listed on homeschool classifieds and he gave me your contact to email you,so i will like to know if the book is still available for sale?

I thought it sounded funny, but wasn't sure that it was a scam yet, so I replied that the item was available... then got this:

There is a warning message on H.C. about this particular scam, as well as a few others. I'm not sure exactly what they're trying to do here. I did not respond again, and they have not either.

Don't these people have anything better to do than try to rip off homeschooling parents????

The first one is exactly, word for word what I got. My second was a little different.

Crazy, it doesn't even seem like they are making money off this. Just sending bogus emails. Eh, world's full of wackos!

Wait! It gets better! I just got another email from him!

He says he was sending me my money order, but was also sending a check to someone with a 'similar name' and got the two confused! LOL! He has " report this to the C.I.A but i dont want to get any of the authority agency involved in this matter because i belive we can solve this as two matured people,what matters most is understanding...."

He advises me to deposit the check and then he'll give me "10% of the money due to the inconviniency" yada, yada, yada.

Sure I'll be certain to do all that. Right away. :001_rolleyes:

I think the people sending these emails live in some alternate-James-Bond universe. "Notify us when your check arrives and wait for further instructions"? Like what? "You may now proceed to your bank and deposit the check."

I don't see how these people make any $$ from these emails, unless they're phishing emails for identity theft.

Take the MO (if and when it arrives!) to your bank, and tell them you think it's fraudulent; they will report it, etc, etc. The reason the scammers do this is that they can somehow (the bank lady explained this to me, but I didn't follow the whole thing) gain access to your bank account number when you try to deposit it. Clearly, do not consider the book sold. ;)

I think you're looking at a version of the many check cashing scams out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud#Purchasing_goods_and_services - has a section on check cashing....

I've heard that many of them are now going for much smaller amounts to raise less suspicion. And they bait 1000's of hooks, only hoping to catch 1. Internet cafes in Africa have folks sitting & typing all day long.....

It's just makes me laugh. Seriously, do they have a book out there on "How to Write a Scam Email" so that scammers know which bad grammar is typical? Not a single one of them can write properly? Really??

I got some interesting emails when I advertised babysitting on craigslist. You wouldn't believe how many people are coming to the United States, right in my area (aka the the middle of nowhere) for just a short business trip and need someone to watch their child during that period! There was another person who needed babysitting at their home full of very expensive items and they would need me to get a background check through the link they provided. But, lucky for me, they decided to pay me MORE than the already very high amount they'd first listed! lol! Just crazy!

It's just makes me laugh. Seriously, do they have a book out there on "How to Write a Scam Email" so that scammers know which bad grammar is typical? Not a single one of them can write properly? Really??

English is not their first language.

While I don't condone crime, I have some respect for their, um, is industriousness the word I'm looking for? They're often corresponding in several languages with targets in various countries.

Guest ME-Mommy

I started getting email from the same guy...also in regard to items FS on HSC.

I sent the email to the board owner and he advised me to discontinue email correspondence.

If you are using Outlook, you can BLOCK email from this knucklehead...I seriously doubt the CIA has any interest in a dispute over homeschool materials. :lol:

He says he was sending me my money order, but was also sending a check to someone with a 'similar name' and got the two confused! LOL! He has " report this to the C.I.A but i dont want to get any of the authority agency involved in this matter because i belive we can solve this as two matured people,what matters most is understanding...."

He advises me to deposit the check and then he'll give me "10% of the money due to the inconviniency" yada, yada, yada.

Sure I'll be certain to do all that. Right away. :001_rolleyes:

I would let him know that you don't want to inconvenience the C.I.A. either, so you have forwarded his emails to your local law enforcement agency and are being advised by them.:D

I would send an email telling him that due to the time lag between him ordering the book and paying for it that you are cancelling the order and that if you do receive a MO from him you will return it certified mail. Most scammers are looking for an easy mark and if they realize that you are not going to be one then they will usually just let it go and move on to the next victim. Should you actually received the MO then I would return it certified mail and keep all of the documentation. If he continues to give you a hard time I would tell him that you will report it to the postmaster and then do so.

I have used HSC for years and have never been scammed... and I so much want to be! I really want to have a long convoluted conversation that will take up a lot of their time. I have thought of typing all Yoda-style. Or translate my message into a different language, then translate THAT into a different language and then back into English and see what it says. OOOhhh... the devious part of my brain is enjoying the possibilities!

Bring it on Sir.

Obviously, someone wants to cheat you out of your money. While I suggest that you do NOT do anything with said person's money order, if it ever arrives, I DO encourage you to contact the FBI with all the evidence you have. Seriously. I've had two people try to scam me via money orders/checks/mail. This is a FELONY and it's the FBI's jurisdiction.

I have used HSC for years and have never been scammed... and I so much want to be! I really want to have a long convoluted conversation that will take up a lot of their time. I have thought of typing all Yoda-style. Or translate my message into a different language, then translate THAT into a different language and then back into English and see what it says. OOOhhh... the devious part of my brain is enjoying the possibilities!

Bring it on Sir.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

It's not even Central Investigations Agency -- it's Central Intelligence Agency!! :smilielol5:

Yeah, and the Government Monitory Organization? Exactly what, pray tell, does this organization do?? Does it have to do with monetary transactions or is it monitoring . . . something (those same obscure purchases of used curriculum somebody else mentioned?)

Hey, maybe we should all make up bogus government entities. That might be fun!

I have also received emails from the CIA. LOL I never open the emails. I am so impressed that we all are so popular with the CIA. Apparently they are having some success with this scam or they wouldn't continue to try it. But be careful. I would suggest never opening the emails and certainly do not "click" on anything inside of an email like that if you do open it.

We have gotten hysterical ones about our sheep flock. Seems the scammer wanted us to MAIL the Shetland Sheep (yeah, they're small, but not THAT small!) and they would send us extra, etc. I could just see us taking a ram with double curl horns down to the PO and putting a stamp on his nose... :D

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

We have gotten hysterical ones about our sheep flock. Seems the scammer wanted us to MAIL the Shetland Sheep (yeah, they're small, but not THAT small!) and they would send us extra, etc. I could just see us taking a ram with double curl horns down to the PO and putting a stamp on his nose... :D
Well, I have heard that you can ship a live chicken if the caging is the approved type....

He says he was sending me my money order, but was also sending a check to someone with a 'similar name' and got the two confused! ....

There's someone out there with a name similar to "Renthead Mommy?"

:lol:

Guest ME-Mommy

Just went to the PO and found a "bank check" for $5,875.00 for a $20ppd book...so I'm home printing out all the email correspondence and returning the check and the email to the Postal Inspector. :glare: