Menu

Here's a silly question about writing names on papers

If you have your kids do a lot of paperwork/worksheets that have that lovely "Name:__________________" line on it, how often do you make them write their name? I feel like it is redundant and unnecessary and yet that OCD side of my brain has a fit when I see an empty line. My son gives me a *look* every time I say, "Oh, honey, you forgot to write your name..." Really? Again, Mom? :001_rolleyes:

Am I the only one torturing my child into writing their name a million times? If so, I might be willing to stop...

I usually just have them put the date on their papers. The only time I have them put their name is when we are doing something together (Latin or science for example) and I need to collect them and keep them in our weekly file until we finish it during our next lesson. And honestly, I do not need to do that either as ds#1 has nice cursive writing and ds#2 has nice printed writing, so I can tell them apart without names.

I have my son write it. Ends up being generally only once or twice a day and I have him write his first and last name. I also insist on it being legible.

I want him to be able to spell his name correctly (learned he didn't know his middle name in 2nd grade this way - he sometimes likes to include it).

I also teach at the community college. I am amazed at students who turn in tests who "sign" their name so I can't read it. I also have students who have just put their first name on their test. Really really bad habits that I assume they got from public school (although I have had a few homeschoolers who have self-identified, I haven't seen the same name issues with them).

So my son's going to learn to PRINT his FULL name CLEARLY! Or ELSE!

(Poor boy.)

If it is a workbook then they can just write their name on the front. Worksheets and lessons written out on notebook paper need their name on it. It doesn't matter so much right now, but I was going through kindergarten projects a few weeks ago, and I was glad I had them put their names on their stuff. It is easy to tell the difference between a 10yo girl and an 8yo boy. But telling the difference between a 4yo girl's and a 6yo boy's kindergarten stuff proved more difficult.

It is a great way to start teaching cursive also. I would lightly write their name in cursive at the top of their page and they would copy it. In a couple of weeks they were doing it on their own. They were really proud of being able to at least write that much in cursive.

It is a great way to start teaching cursive also. I would lightly write their name in cursive at the top of their page and they would copy it. In a couple of weeks they were doing it on their own. They were really proud of being able to at least write that much in cursive.

That's a great idea!

I only have my ds write his name on his paper a few times/week. He writes his name really well, so I don't feel like I need to waste his limited writing time writing it. He actually loves writing it so usually he writes it a few times a day on things he does for fun like drawings and letters. I do laugh, though, when we do Miquon and there is a space for his name on each page.

LOL have a friend (who shall remain nameless because she is on here :D) That will hand the paper back to her ds and say I dont know whose this is, there is no name on here :lol:

:lol: I love that!

I make my DS put his name on everything. I'll never forget getting a test handed back to me by one of my college professors because I didn't put my name on it. I was absolutely mortified!! :blushing:

I haven't read the responses, but if these worksheets were for a big classroom, then yes, I'd have all the students write their names, so we'd know the owner of the papers. But for just one little girl, it's redundant and we don't even notice those name slots. Dates, however, are useful sometimes, so I am having her write the date, it's good practice!

Well, I don't remember what I did back in the day, which was a loooong time ago, lol, but when I was teaching girls' clubs at church, I had to remind the girls to write their first and last names on everything. IOW, it was important for them to identify their work with both names--it is probable that there would be more than one person whose name was "Angie," KWIM?--and that it was not being taught in school, because I had to remind them.

Principle Approach folks would say that personal property is an important concept--it might even be one of The Principles--and that writing one's name on paper identifies that paper as one's own. Maybe that's a little too deep a concept, lol, but I still think it's good for children to understand the importance of owning their work, as it were. So it isn't just a matter of being sure that the child can easily write his name; it's the principle of the thing. :-)

My boys are 4 years apart and I store work according to school year so the 2009-2010 box has ds6's 1st grade and ds11's 5th grade work in it. If I can't tell those apart I've got bigger problems than names on paper.

When my mom was here yesterday she was astonished that I don't make mine write their names. I gave her the "really?!?!" look and we just moved on.

Now I wonder if I should call and tell her about this discussion :confused:.... no, don't think I will.:D

I have DD writer her name & date on every page, unless it is in a bound book with her name on the cover. Then she can get away with just the date.

For me, it's not handwriting practice. It's just a habit I want my kids to have.

I tell DD that years later, I want to be able to tell who did the page and when.

DD likes drawing pictures and making cards for people. If she hands me a card without signing it, I'll ooh and aah over it, and then look puzzled and wonder aloud who it is from and whom it's for. Then DD takes it back and puts our names on it with "to" and "from."

But telling the difference between a 4yo girl's and a 6yo boy's kindergarten stuff proved more difficult.

:iagree: and Great idea!

...but I still think it's good for children to understand the importance of owning their work, as it were. So it isn't just a matter of being sure that the child can easily write his name; it's the principle of the thing. :-)

:iagree:

I have DD writer her name & date on every page, unless it is in a bound book with her name on the cover. Then she can get away with just the date.

For me, it's not handwriting practice. It's just a habit I want my kids to have.

I tell DD that years later, I want to be able to tell who did the page and when.

:iagree:

If there's ever a need to send them back to ps or when they get to college, I want this habit firmly ingrained.:D

Guest janainaz

I make my son write his full name AND the date on every single piece of work that he does. I just feel it's a good habit to have. Plus, I want to file his work accordingly.

I have my kids write their names on their papers. They actually LOVE to do it with each paper. I think they feel more of a sense of ownership or something. lol

DD likes drawing pictures and making cards for people. If she hands me a card without signing it, I'll ooh and aah over it, and then look puzzled and wonder aloud who it is from and whom it's for. Then DD takes it back and puts our names on it with "to" and "from."

This is exactly why I do it. For the habit :001_smile:

Since I'm only teaching one child I let the name thing slide most of the time, but if I tell to put his name on something he does it willingly. I do make sure everything is dated. It helps if I get behind in my record keeping. Half the time I date, half the time I tell him to date it.

We don't and your reasons all seem so weird ;)

I don't put my name at the top when I am researching plane tickets and making notes about dates and airports and airlines to look more into.

I don't put my name at the top when I am working on our budget.

I don't put my name on the top of my menus or grocery lists.

Even when I did work (or now where I volunteer) I didn't/don't put my name at the top of work I did. I may have added a note or memo that would have had my name or signature on it.

When I was in college, I rarely turned in all the busy work kind of things that were available (math pages, worksheet pages, textbook questions), usually there were only essay/research papers and tests.

So I feel just fine only having my kids put thier names on papers (not worksheets, but stories or essays), tests (not that we have done many yet), and letters.

I mean for my real life (does being a homeschool mom equal having a real life?) putting my name at the top of my paper doesn't seem like a habit I need to be in. It seems like something that really helps if you have 26 math wkshts to look at tonight, not as an important life skill.

LOL have a friend (who shall remain nameless because she is on here :D) That will hand the paper back to her ds and say I dont know whose this is, there is no name on here :lol:

:lol: I say those exact words to my kids!

In my defense I'm new at this! Also, my kids are all closse in age (9, 9 and 7) so we are doing a lot together, so it's not uncommon to have all three doing the same thing.

Karen

Last year with one child I did not make her write her name. This year they both have to write their name and date on every sheet. I want them to be proud of their work and by putting their name on it they are taking ownership.

I will say that right now the only way I can tell their papers apart is by the level of work. They both have the same handwriting (daughter is behind and son is ahead). So if it is not math or Language arts I don't know who's it is.

Yup. Every loose page has a name and a date on it before I'll accept it for grading. Every workbook that doesn't get pages pulled out of it has a name written clearly on the front, and a date on each completed workpage. I only had to train my oldest two to do this though. My younger two picked it up automatically and were so proud when they could do it themselves.

I have my ds7 write his name and the date 1x per day.

I want him to know how to do it, but I don't see the point in doing it for every page - at this point. His work is all neatly a folder...he names/dates the first page for the day.

I had him write his full name as copywork for a long while in K/1st.

I also have my children write their name and date on the page. I have them write their name for practice, mainly to start. I have them write the date on each page for reference. All notebook pages/dictations/narrations/summaries/outlines have name, date, and subject/chapter if relevant.

If *I* am taking notes on something I always note the subject/source and the date. It can come in handy when I look at the notes down the line. I date journal entries. I date letters. When I dealt with insurance claims, all notes on communications were properly identified with dates. (This has saved me!) I put names and dates on photographs. I put dates on cards.

I may go through more pens and pencils, but at least I can identify a paper when I pick it up.

I don't hardly ever make my kids write their full names and date on pages.

SOTW coloring pages & maps must have initials on them because I can't tell them apart otherwise (anymore).

We don't tear out pages in our math workbooks, so writing one's name over & over again at the top would be silly at our house, IMO.

I think you should have your own rules in your own house, so the fact that others have their kids do this won't influence me and I hope my opinion doesn't influence you. :)

:blush::lol:Yes and dh just bought me a stamp that says NAME? to use this year. So excited to stamp away.;)

I do this. For multiple choice questions I can't tell the girls' sheets apart, so it's essential.

My ds used to label all his papers "finished by Spider-man" and then the date. He changes it up a bit now. Sometimes he's a Pokémon character. Lately he's been Master (First Name) since he wants to be a martial arts instructor when he grows up.

I enjoyed the first day of homeschool math team last year, when the coach collected the timed assignments, looked at the top one, and said, "Somebody didn't put his or her name on this...." then looked at the next one--"... two people didn't..." then leafed through the whole stack--"... in fact, nobody at all wrote their name on their paper."

Homeschoolers! :D I bet they didn't know how to stand quietly in line, either.

It's not optional for my dds, but that's probably b/c I have two close in age, and they use some of the same curriculum.

Ds doesn't necessarily put his name on EVERY paper, but there's no difficulty telling what is his. If he does worksheets or something else with a name line, he'll write it, probably out of ps habit.

I only have the one, but he stills writes his name on his papers.

Now when I say name, it all depends on the day of the week and what kind of mood he is in.

Most of the time he writes his real full name.

Other times he writes his other name. This is a name he uses when he is in one of those moods. The kind when it is best to leave him to himself, the kind when he has been reading too many Calvin and Hobbes.

We get the full version

Lawrence Ottoman Foreman Arabia.

Or the version with initials

Lawrence O. F. Arabia

And yes, he will sit at the table with his stuffed camel and a towel wrapped around his head.

I only have the one, but he stills writes his name on his papers.

Now when I say name, it all depends on the day of the week and what kind of mood he is in.

Most of the time he writes his real full name.

Other times he writes his other name. This is a name he uses when he is in one of those moods. The kind when it is best to leave him to himself, the kind when he has been reading too many Calvin and Hobbes.

We get the full version

Lawrence Ottoman Foreman Arabia.

Or the version with initials

Lawrence O. F. Arabia

And yes, he will sit at the table with his stuffed camel and a towel wrapped around his head.

:lol::lol::lol:

I learned the hard way that I need to have names on everything. I have a box of school papers from years past, and I can't tell who did each paper. Now, my seven-year-old and my twelve-year-old have almost identical handwriting. I can always tell the ten-year-old because he reverses letters in his own name, but that's just an argument for more practice, isn't it?

I make them write their name everytime, even in a workbook without taking the pages out. If there is a name space, you write it. For my 1st grader this is just learning to write neatly, the more practice the better.

My 3rd grader who is moving out of workbooks and using notebook paper for most subjects is required to now write her name, the date, the subject, and the lesson #.

I have noticed on her science notebook pages though that they say, "Science Girl" where her name should be. It's not Lawrence of Arabia, but it makes me laugh. She has always been our science girl!

My sons write their names on most of their papers. It's been great practice in learning to write their names legibly and handwriting practice.

I am usually pretty relaxed about the format of their names though. Sometimes I get just their first name, sometimes first middle and last, sometimes in cursive, sometimes in print, sometimes in crayon, sometimes in eraser lines through a block of pencil marks, sometimes in character, sometimes relational (son of father's name), sometimes overly decorative, sometimes scrawled. It's become something of a game to my oldest son.

And I am happy to accept all formats except the scrawl. Occasionally, I will request a particular format (like "best penmanship" if he's been a little sloppy lately). I never intended to make name writing a big deal, but my son if very particular about his papers and if it has a "name" space, he feels compelled to fill it in, even if I tell him he doesn't need to (like in a workbook).

For my pre-k- 1st grader, it's daily reinforcement of his name and cursive handwriting practice.

If you have your kids do a lot of paperwork/worksheets that have that lovely "Name:__________________" line on it, how often do you make them write their name? I feel like it is redundant and unnecessary and yet that OCD side of my brain has a fit when I see an empty line. My son gives me a *look* every time I say, "Oh, honey, you forgot to write your name..." Really? Again, Mom? :001_rolleyes:

Am I the only one torturing my child into writing their name a million times? If so, I might be willing to stop...

It will become more helpful when your second child starts doing papers, especially if they are doing the same type of paper, like SOTW mapwork. My kids are all 2 years apart - but sometimes I have a hard time figuring out whose paper is whose!

Plus - it's good writing practice for them. So yes - I have them write their name - but if they forgot and are long gone - I usually don't call them back.

Oh - and didn't I recently read on here where someone's child was in a class with several students and turned in his paper without a name? Yes - it can be a good habit to have!!