Menu

Someone just smashed 3 windows on my van

They took a crowbar (from the looks of the smash pattern) to my back window, windshield, and driver's side window. I'm pretty pissed. I want to cry. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to one of our cars while living in this house.

I was up late working on school planning when I heard the smashes. I ran to the window in our dormer and saw the guy running away down the street. Two people from my neighbor's house across the street (the ones we think are dealing drugs) were in the alley next to their house just 15 feet from the guy as he ran by. They didn't say or do anything. The police said "file a report online" and gave me the address. That's it for police response.

I. just. want. to. move.

Dh wants me to go to bed. He's staying up for a while in case they decide to come back and smash the car more, or worse, enter the house. We think it is related to our neighbor's suspected drug dealing.

:grouphug: Sigh...

They took a crowbar (from the looks of the smash pattern) to my back window, windshield, and driver's side window. I'm pretty pissed. I want to cry. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to one of our cars while living in this house.

I was up late working on school planning when I heard the smashes. I ran to the window in our dormer and saw the guy running away down the street. Two people from my neighbor's house across the street (the ones we think are dealing drugs) were in the alley next to their house just 15 feet from the guy as he ran by. They didn't say or do anything. The police said "file a report online" and gave me the address. That's it for police response.

I. just. want. to. move.

Dh wants me to go to bed. He's staying up for a while in case they decide to come back and smash the car more, or worse, enter the house. We think it is related to our neighbor's suspected drug dealing.

So sorry. I am praying for you guys. How about, we pray that the neighborhood is cleaned up. Then your [hopefully now lead free] house will be really marketable and you can sell for top dollar and live in a larger home, nicer neighborhood in a nice and quiet cul-de-sac.

Hey, it can't hurt. :tongue_smilie:

I'm so sorry, JoAnn. I know how that feels. And I know how it feels to want to move out of a bad neighborhood and not be able to.

Do you know any cops? Do your friends/family know any? We have been very successful in cleaning up our neighborhood by letting our cop friends know we're having an issue with drug houses on our block. They were busted and moved on to terrorize another neighborhood.

If you don't know any police officers, try calling and reporting suspicious activity. I'm sure you've already thought of that though.

The numbers you call to report aren't very helpful and it's super frustrating to feel like no one cares.

Don't you hate vandalism? I hope it doesn't cost too much to repair the van.

Without seeing it, the auto shop (a reputable one we've used many times...that says a lot right there doesn't it) is saying a ballpark figure would be about $1500. I'm saying $1000 at the very least. Our deductible for insurance is $500 which we don't have. It'll probably have to go on our credit card.

I'm stranded until it's fixed. DH's car doesn't fit all of us. So, if I have to be somewhere I can only do it if DH doesn't have work to do. I have no idea how long it will take to fix as we have to wait on parts and the insurance company working well with the auto shop. I don't think the latter will be a problem; they've worked together before...on this car even.

No, we can't move. We own more on the house than it's worth. We used to have $80,000 in equity before the economy collapsed. Then there's the fact that it's in need of repairs and full of high levels of lead. Who would buy it?

Ugh!

I'm so sorry, JoAnn. I know how that feels. And I know how it feels to want to move out of a bad neighborhood and not be able to.

Do you know any cops? Do your friends/family know any? We have been very successful in cleaning up our neighborhood by letting our cop friends know we're having an issue with drug houses on our block. They were busted and moved on to terrorize another neighborhood.

If you don't know any police officers, try calling and reporting suspicious activity. I'm sure you've already thought of that though.

The numbers you call to report aren't very helpful and it's super frustrating to feel like no one cares.

We have a neighborhood group working on it. We've had two drug houses and a meth lab within a block of our house throughout the 11 years we've lived here. This is nothing new.

Have you asked your insurance what would happen if you just left it unlocked? They sound like they are looking for stuff that is loose and not to steal your vehicle.

My uncle is a cop in your area. He does the best he can. You just call, call, call some more and keep reporting them. If you see children, call cps. Sometimes CPS can get more done when children are in danger.

I am so sorry for you and your family...that is not a thing we want to instill safety and a feeling of neighborhood...we used to live in University Place..I remember our first week moving to a corporate apartment in Lakewood..we received a notice that a felonious pedophile had moved within one mile of us! When I tracked down his residence it was RIGHT next to a home day care!!!! We only lived there 2 years but after reading that flyer I bought into one of the gated communities..granted we were the cheapest one in there..but those gates meant a lot for my peace of mind...Pierce County is just heavily laden with meth labs...and predators...it's saddening...praying for you and your family!

Tara

Have you asked your insurance what would happen if you just left it unlocked? They sound like they are looking for stuff that is loose and not to steal your vehicle.

No, he wasn't looking to steal anything, just smash and run. I heard it and saw him running seconds after the last hit. We think we are being targeted by the drug dealers across the street or their friends. The police agree that it is probably related to them and are stepping up efforts to get them out.

No, he wasn't looking to steal anything, just smash and run. I heard it and saw him running seconds after the last hit. We think we are being targeted by the drug dealers across the street or their friends. The police agree that it is probably related to them and are stepping up efforts to get them out.

Oh JoAnn! I wish you could just move. :grouphug: But hopefully the police will be able to close the joint down.

$2941.00

That's the estimate to fix my car. Fortunately, I only have to pay my $500 deductible plus another $216 to fix a rusting dent caused by road debris hitting my car (our road is falling apart and cars driving by kick up bits of road and chuck it at our cars). Fixing the dent now makes sense because the insurance is already paying to paint that part of the car; otherwise it would cost roughly $900 to fix the dent.

Our backyard is fenced with a standard gate. My husband has been parking his car in our driveway behind our house, outside the fence. Fortunately, he had parked back there that night. We think they may have hit his car, too, if it had been in front. The driveway is shared with three other houses and there isn't room for both of our cars. As it is, it is nearly impossible to get in and out without knocking on the neighbor's doors and asking them to move their cars...we are the last house and the space is very narrow when they park on their sections.