Menu

I need December honeymoon ideas in eastern U.S>

I really thought wedding planning was going to be easier as the mother of the groom than it was as the mother of the bride, but between the ring and the honeymoon, I'm beginning to think I was overly optimistic.

Anyhow, ds is getting married in Pennsylvania in December. Afterwards they'll be driving to Texas and he needs a honeymoon plan for along the way. I am so unfamiliar with that part of the country. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've never heard of the parents planning the honeymoon. Does the groom have no ideas of where he would like to take his bride?

LOL. I'm not planning the honeymoon. DS just doesn't know where to begin and I'm trying to help out with ideas, but I don't really have any ideas either.

He wants to take her to places that are along their route from Pennsylvania to Texas. Neither of us are familiar with that part of the country. So yes, I guess he does have some ideas (along the route), but he doesn't have any specific ideas.

They are heading to the Philippines together for a mission trip in August, so they will have just done a big trip with beaches.

Edited by Luann in ID

Grand Canyon? It would be more or less on the way and is incredibly beautiful. Although I agree with PP, ask your son where he wants to take his new bride.

We just hit the Grand Canyon with her when we picked them up at college in May. He and I aren't very familiar with the east coast region. He's asking for some ideas to get him started.

How about DC/Virginia stuff? Capitol, White House, Smithsonian, Monticello, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. Then Florida: Disney, Seaworld, historical St. Augustine, Cape Kennedy...

I'm sure there are great things to see in the Carolinas as well. I know my suggestions aren't exactly romantic, but what do you expect from hsers? ;)

HTH a little bit,

I really thought wedding planning was going to be easier as the mother of the groom than it was as the mother of the bride, but between the ring and the honeymoon, I'm beginning to think I was overly optimistic.

Anyhow, ds is getting married in Pennsylvania in December. Afterwards they'll be driving to Texas and he needs a honeymoon plan for along the way. I am so unfamiliar with that part of the country. Does anyone have any ideas?

Why are you planning his honeymoon?

Did you have to pick out the ring?

Do your future DIL the favor of understanding exactly who she's marrying. Stay out of it.

Do your future DIL the favor of understanding exactly who she's marrying. Stay out of it.

Read below. And maybe be helpful instead of critical.

LOL. I'm not planning the honeymoon. DS just doesn't know where to begin and I'm trying to help out with ideas, but I don't really have any ideas either.

He wants to take her to places that are along their route from Pennsylvania to Texas. Neither of us are familiar with that part of the country. So yes, I guess he does have some ideas (along the route), but he doesn't have any specific ideas.

They are heading to the Philippines together for a mission trip in August, so they will have just done a big trip with beaches.

East or West Texas? Maybe New Orleans if they are headed to east Texas.

Ooh, yes. New Orleans near Christmas time is wonderful. And they have great museums and aquarium and historic buildings and churches. We just went there last fall and I was surprised and impressed with how much there was to do besides go to bars, lol.

WOW. I wasn't expecting this.

I'm just trying to be a helpful source of information. And I love that my older kids still include me in their lives. So...I'm not sure where that came from. But thanks for your ideas below. (ETA: I just realized none of those ideas came from you. Whatever.)

Edited by Luann in ID

My first choice would be Charleston, SC. However, that is a lot of extra driving. If he wants to stay on route, then I would explore a mountain cabin/ bed & breakfast in TN. If they've just been to big beaches, then this would be nice.

If they don't mind the extra drive, then Charleston is awesome. It is very romantic, with lots of history. There are accommodations for every price range, too!

And, no I did not pick out the ring. He did. But I felt incredibly grateful that he let me tag along while he searched because it meant two hour drives to the nearest city, and I know I may never enjoy long spans of time together again.

She's marrying a wonderful young man and she knows that.

Hocking Hills in Ohio is beautiful...but would possibly be snowy in December. Also the Ohio Caverns are nice and stay Round 50 degrees year round underground. Kentucky has the Newport Aquarium and the Creation Museum if they are looking for places to go. Tennessee would really be beautiful! My cousin and her husband are honeymooning there right now...they spent a few days in Pigeon Forge and are in Nashville now.

How about DC/Virginia stuff? Capitol, White House, Smithsonian, Monticello, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. Then Florida: Disney, Seaworld, historical St. Augustine, Cape Kennedy...

I'm sure there are great things to see in the Carolinas as well. I know my suggestions aren't exactly romantic, but what do you expect from hsers? ;)

HTH a little bit,

LOL. These are good ideas. I'll pass them along and see if any of them sound good to him.

Sorry, I am of no help--I don't get out of Minnesota much.:glare:

And, no I did not pick out the ring. He did. But I felt incredibly grateful that he let me tag along while he searched because it meant two hour drives to the nearest city, and I know I may never enjoy long spans of time together again.

She's marrying a wonderful young man and she knows that.

:grouphug: That is exciting that your son is including you. I would feel incredibly grateful also!! I hope and pray that my boys will allow me that wonderful opportunity someday!! :grouphug:

NYC is amazing in December! If they enjoy Christmas and all - it's decked to the hilt! The tree in Rockefeller Plaza, the churches, Fifth Avenue with Sax and FAO Schwarz, Broadway shows, ice skating in Central Park, etc., etc.! But that's only if they're looking for city life and it's a bit out of their way if they're headed to Texas. :tongue_smilie:

If they like skiing and all, western Pennsylvania is great for that.

Do you know which routes they plan to take? Folks are giving you ideas that take them down the coast, but I would think that usually someone going from PA to TX would be going across the mid-section of the country.

St. Louis, Missouri is a nice place to visit, although it might be a bit out of their way. There is a great zoo (free except for parking and the animals are more lively when it's cold), botanical garden, art museum, the Arch, neat neighborhoods to explore, things like that.

Cincinnati has a nice zoo and a great art museum, too. I think I'd be looking for things like that to have available to do in case the weather isn't great for outdoor activities.

I'd also suggest that between driving and the, shall we say...Main Business of a honeymoon, that they won't have a whole lot of trouble filling time. ;) When DH and I got married (all those many years ago!) we were glad we picked places that weren't once-in-a-lifetime, can't be missed attractions.

I don't think it's unusual that he would ask you for ideas. You're Mom and therefore a girl, and therefore in a position to know what girls would like. :)

Depending on where they are getting married in Pennsylvania, we spent our honeymoon in the Poconos. We also went back for a 1st anniversary. Loved it. We stayed at the Caesar's Pocono Palace and can't wait til we get to go back.

If going through Kentucky, they could try Lake Cumberland. If you time it just right, Cumberland Falls has one of only two moon-bows in the world with the other being in Africa. Extremely romantic.

I'm sorry you got some criticism here. I only hope that my ds will include me in his life when he reaches the marriage stage. You're lucky and it speaks well for your parenting!

Poconos? It's known for honeymoon packages. Split Rock Resort is very nice, as are the Ceasar Resorts. Good skiing as well.

What an exciting time for your family! Enjoy every minute.

Nan

Here in Western North Carolina there are lots of beautiful places to honeymoon. By the way, my son is getting married in August and I am also helping plan their honeymoon AND the wedding, since her mom is not available to help her. Nothing wrong with being involved in grown children's lives if they want to include you. I am thankful I am close enough to my son and my future daughter-in-law that they want my help.

:001_smile:

Not exactly on the way, but well worth the extra driving from PA.

A weekend in Manhattan at one of the better Hotels, a Broadway show, dinner out at a romantic restaurant, a walk through Centeral Park, ice skating at Rockafeller Center - it's all good. :tongue_smilie:

I would sit down with a map and circle all the major cities and counties they will traverse on their trip. Then look up Christmas displays, programs, markets for these towns. I bet there is something that is off the beaten track and worth seeing. It's a long road from Pennsylvania to Texas. :001_smile:

:blink: I hope this statement is the result of an isolated bad day, and not what you really would say to someone under normal circumstances...:001_huh:

I would sit down with a map and circle all the major cities and counties they will traverse on their trip. Then look up Christmas displays, programs, markets for these towns. I bet there is something that is off the beaten track and worth seeing. It's a long road from Pennsylvania to Texas. :001_smile:

This is an excellent idea.

I google/mapped this for you. You can see that the Grand Canyon (two states to the west of Texas) and Disney (directly down south in Florida) aren't really feasible or on the way at all. But, there are other places that would be enjoyable.

post-397-1353508370615_thumb.jpg

post-397-1353508370615_thumb.jpg

Do you know what route they'd like to take?

The Greenbriar in West Virginia does up Christmas beautifully, I've heard.

Williamsburg also does a beautiful Christmas season.

Biltmore House and Gardens now has beautiful hotel accommodations on site and I'm sure they also have a beautiful Christmas season (Asheville, NC)

The Brown Hotel, in Louisville, is nice.

The Hermitage Hotel, in downtown Nashville, is wonderful. The Gaylord out at the old Opryland is also supposed to be nice and decorates big time for Christmas.

This is an excellent idea.

I google/mapped this for you. You can see that the Grand Canyon (two states to the west of Texas) and Disney (directly down south in Florida) aren't really feasible or on the way at all. But, there are other places that would be enjoyable.

*I* didn't want to be critical/tacky, but I felt like some folks' mental maps were just a wee bit off!

Lots of great ideas here! Ds is looking through them and investigating. Thanks so much!

Several have asked about the route. They're going from north-central PA to east Texas (he's still attending LeTourneau). He doesn't mind going off route because they have almost 2 weeks. And he's actually also considering the Caribbean now, too.

Lots of great ideas here! Ds is looking through them and investigating. Thanks so much!

Several have asked about the route. They're going from north-central PA to east Texas (he's still attending LeTourneau). He doesn't mind going off route because they have almost 2 weeks. And he's actually also considering the Caribbean now, too.

That's definitely way off the route! Hope they have a fun trip!

Does anyone have any ideas?

I will echo what many others have said: Colonial Williamsburg is lovely at Christmas. They could stay in one of the colonial houses, stroll up and down DoG street - there are wonderful Christmas decorations on the colonial houses (competitions every year for wreaths, etc.), nice romantic restaurants. If that's too "girly" for either of them, there's also the gunsmith or the blacksmith (etc.), LOL. When you're there, you can just feel that you're in your own 'bubble', which seems (imo) nice for a honeymoon.

It depends on whether or not he wants to plan his route via honeymoon stops or plan his route and then look for honeymoon stops along the way. There are several different ways he could travel PA to TX.

If they go through Asheville, NC I highly recommend that they stop at Biltmore Estates - it will be decorated for Christmas and is beautiful. They have a resort hotel there. The Grove Park Inn is also a resort hotel in Asheville that they could consider.

Anyhow, ds is getting married in Pennsylvania in December. Afterwards they'll be driving to Texas and he needs a honeymoon plan for along the way.

According to PA to TX on Google maps, they will be traveling through PA, OH, KY, TN, and AR. Maybe your DS should focus on finding great resort type hotels in big cities along the more boring direct route.

How about a side trip to Disney World, with a stop in New Orleans on the way home? They'd travel straight down the Atlantic coast to Florida and then west along the Gulf coast into Louisiana and then northwest to where they live. Gee, on the way home from Disney World, it might be kind of a downer because of the Gulf oil spill.

Edited by RoughCollie