Menu

Poll: How many K-6 math programs have you owned? (please read criteria)

nmoira

How many K-6 Math programs do you own? (please read criteria)  

1. 1. How many K-6 Math programs do you own? (please read criteria)

• 0 (I/we design our program)
    • 9 or more

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I bought Saxon brand new from the company when I started because it was rec'd in WTM. Then I hated it & realized I could have bought it used. :glare:

We bought Singapore w/in the first yr & have never done anything differently BUT I did buy the 1st 2 levels of MUS last yr to supplement Singapore. Barely used it. I bought Math Mammoth a couple of yrs before that, just for the sake of trying to work on facts. Barely used it.

I got Miquon Orange for free at the Easter sale on Currclick & have ordered the supplements for it now, too, but haven't actually received it all yet. (Rods & one of the teacher books are still on the way.)

So I voted 5, but I really think 2 would be a more fair est. ;)

ETA: I forgot LoF. Does that count as a full prog, though, or supplement? (Or is that a whole other thread? Hehehe)

ETA: I forgot LoF. Does that count as a full prog, though, or supplement? (Or is that a whole other thread? Hehehe)
I didn't count it as K-6 simply because he originally intended the Fractions and Decimals & Percents books to be a lead-in into algebra.... But then, this is where DD the Elder went after doing long division in Singapore 4A, so I guess I could have counted it. But then...

:tongue_smilie:

I chose 6, but then thought of a few more....

In the past, we have tried/used:

Alpha Omega

Addison-Wesley (old ps textbook)

Saxon

Singapore

McGraw-Hill Spectrum (probably considered a supplement)

We are currently using:

Key To Fractions, Decimals, and Percents

Rod and Staff

Teaching Textbooks

And for the upcoming school year we'll be adding Chalk Dust, Life of Fred and Making Math Meaningful to our list. :)

This is probably the only thread on this board where I have actually felt rather virtuous in the area of self-restraint. Of course I am currently experiencing that gut-clenching self-doubt of "2, 3, 4, 9 math programs and I've only done one for lower grades?" "I've missed the boat. I've failed." (Dramatic point where one crumples to the ground in a quivering mess, mass, both?)

This could explain why I just ordered Patty Paper Geometry to along with my third set of algebra books and my three sets of geometry curriculum.:tongue_smilie:

(Dramatic point where one crumples to the ground in a quivering mess, mass, both?)
Both. But would there be smoke?

I picked 3:

We've used Rod & Staff Grades 1-6 and will finish 7 this year.

Also used Singapore's books as summer material, though we won't be using their materials anymore.

My son read through LOF Fractions during the school year as well.

Everything we bought, we used to its fullest extent...no switching for us till this coming year, since R&S ends.

Have used-

Saxon (one or more son has used grade 2- 87)

Singapore (little ds used PM 1 and 2, middle ds used 3-6, oldest used a smattering of them)

Miquon (little ds used year 1)

MUS (little ds used Alpha)

ABeka (middle ds used part of grade 6 to waste some time after Saxon 76)

Key to... (oldest ds used Fractions, Decimals, Percents, and some of Alg; little ds has used Fractions and some of Decimals) For us Key to is definitely a supplement, but I counted it.

I said in another thread and I'll say it again here-

If I were to get to do it again with another child, I would purchase no formal math program prior to Saxon 54. I would still buy pattern blocks, duplos, wedgits, dominoes, dice, cuisenaire rods, playing cards, and even multiplication flash cards, but I would not purchase any expensive fancy math curriculum for lower elementary school.

Mandy

I was hoping for a poll like this, so here goes, and DD is only 5 :blushing:.

This list includes ones we have used, are using, planning to use, or bought to preview.

Saxon

Miquon

MEP

Kumon

Life of Fred

Math Mammoth

Singapore

Why is it that for language or math programs, homeschool parents go from one program to another or feel the need to combine so many programs? I'm actually not going from one to another in terms of math, but combining and the only explanation is that I'm not mathy and Li Ping Ma's book put fear into my heart.

I voted 3 because that's what I've got on the shelves right now - Horizons, Abeka & Singapore. Then I remembered I have RS games & activities for the AL abacus and some Key to ... books. Did you mean only math programs we own NOW, or ever? If it's the latter, add Saxon & Calvert, for a grand total of 7 if my RS stuff counts.

We are only in K and getting ready to purchase for grade 1 but we have only purchased and are happily using :) two.

- Singapore Math (STD edition)

- Horizons Math

My oldest is the guinea pig of the family. He is a rising 4th grader. We have used/currently using:

Saxon Math

Teaching Textbooks-using TT 4 now

CLE Math

Math Mammoth-using MM Lt.Blue 3A and several topics

BJU Math-using occasionally to supplement Teaching Textbooks

Horizons

Singapore Math

My younger ds is a rising 1st grader. We have used/currently using/will use:

Liberty Math K

BJU Math K

Saxon Math 1

Singapore Math 1A/1B

For my daughter in PreK, I'm planning on using:

Critical Thinking Co. Mathematical Reasoning

Singapore Earlybird Math

Well, can I give an excuse??? :tongue_smilie: My 13 y.o. has special needs and can't tell the difference between adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. My 10 y.o. has the same genetic issue but is stronger in math. She takes 2 hours a day to finish, but has maintained grade level so far. We've tried:

Abeka - not me

Moving with Math - used for K and dd13 counted the picture of the cube as "3" bc/ she could see the 3 sides. not kidding. no fun. we weren't moving with that math!

MM - currently loving

MEP - this year we'll be doing some

RS - love it. my ds7 does it and the others join in

Singapore - didn't work well for those with special needs, but great for ds7 although i prefer RS

MUS - my girls did 3 of the old levels and still didn't get it. i switched.

Keys to is in a bin here for someday

Saxon -not my cup of tea

Rays - didn't make it far

LOF - can't wait to get there! so fun!

Hands on Equations - looking forward to trying this year

Horizons - not me

BJU - used with the DVD's for grade 3. not again i hope.

I just bought On Cloud Nine and another set of workbooks for dd13 in hopes to get her to at least count money. Wish I knew the answer to teaching her! Teaching ds7 is a dream in comparison. he intuitively just sort of knows math. it is very fun!

Loved Liping Ma's book! So helpful!

Great thread. Thanks.

Edited to add: This is not about which programs we use; if you've purchased or otherwise obtained a program and never used it, it would still count. :)

For the purpose of this poll, "program" means something that can be used as a full program for at least one year, and that is not designed to a supplement. Times Tales and Primary Challenge Math wouldn't count, but Miquon, even if only used as supplement would. One level/year/half year counts, and you need to have actually used it. Having printed up a level of a free program like MEP, or using online licensed content such as EPGY counts as "owning." :001_smile:

We're wrapping up our 7th year of homeschooling using primarily Saxon.

I found a huge lot of Singapore math on the library give away shelf so I have levels 2-5 of that. I've also used a lot of Challenging Word Problems books as our travel math.

I have the Key to . . . series as a bridge between Saxon 8/7 and Algebra

Hmmmm..........

Ray's Arithmetic

Rod & Staff

Schoolaid (Spunky Math sold by R&S)

MUS

TT

Right Start

Math Mammoth

Singapore

Miquon

Saxon

McRuffy

CLE

ACE

Keys to

LOF

Horizons

Calvert

I'm sure there are a few more I forgot :blushing:

Currently we are using Saxon, TT & McRuffy Math.

Edited by Homeschooling6

And yet again, I vote too low. These threads are giving me a serious complex. I don't think I need to count any more.

Singapore (for preK and supplemental for 1)

Seton Math (for K for youngest DD)

MCP (for K for middle DD)

Abeka (for 1-3 for all DDs homeschooled these years)

Saxon (for 4 and up for all DDS homeschooled these years)

Miquon (bought and used very sporadically because I just don't get it)

Masterpak (for speed drilling for 1-3)

Key To (for 4 and up for concepts we aren't understanding in Saxon)

We honestly are pretty consistent 1-3 with Abeka and 4 and up with Saxon, but on paper this is showing my curriculum addiction.

School of Tomorrow math

Alpha Omega math

Saxon Math

BJU math

Miquon Math

Mastering Mathematics Math

Modern Curriculum Press Math

Teaching Textbooks Math

Christian Light old and new versions math

Holt Math--one year a free text

Scott Foresman Math--one year...given to me as well

Key to series

Liberty K math

Math Made Easy series for kindergarten (the one from Amazon)

Rod and Staff

Life of Fred

This is with 4 different students throughout our years. I voted 7, but then remembered a bunch more. :)

Dee :)

Favorites have been Mastering Mathematics, School of Tomorrow 5th and 6th grade revised math, and CLE so far. This year we are trying TT with my soon to be 4rth grader and if that doesn't work, we'll go back to SOT for 5th and 6th with reinforcement from Mastering Mathematics that I've used from the very beginning and am presently teaching my last child his multiplication tables with.

Edited by deeinfl

I voted 5. We started homeschooling at age 4.25 and now we are 5.5 years and starting "first grade".

1. RightStart (currently using/loving)
  2. MEP (just downloading and will be using as supplement this summer?)
  3. Miquon
  4. Singapore Earlybird
  5. MUS

After a year I am getting more confident in my curriculum selections, I don't think I'll go tooo overboard in the future. :)

I think Singapore is the only full K-6 math curriculum I've ever used.

When they were in K I bought Miquon, but never really used it and re-sold it.

I have kaboodles of supplements, but no other full programs. I've got and have used at various times:

Hands-on Equations

Zacarro's Middle School Challenge Math

Math Detective (multiple books)

Math Mosaics (multiple book series)

RS AL Abacus and AL Abacus activities book

MUS rods and fraction overlays

Times Tales

Oh, wait, does Life of Fred count? That's summer math here. :) I kinda don't think of it as a "full" program till Algebra, and that's after K-6. I have my kids go through Fractions and Dec/Percents in the summers after 4th and 5th.

We used Singapore Earlybird, but that was pre-K. I started them with Primary Math in K, and did 1a in K and 1b in 1st.

Edited by matroyshka

Umm, at least 9. In my defense, my kids are at opposite poles in math learning, and ds is very hard to fit.

RightStart: very poor fit for all of us

Rod and Staff: both kids have used some/all of 1st, I like it, but it's slow for dd and too focused on memorization for ds

Horizons: fun, colorful review for both, not a good teaching method for either

SF Exploring Math: loved K and 1. 2 wasn't a good fit for either. I own 3-8 and may get them out.

Calvert: K was nice, 1 was lame.

Miquon: Dd loves it as a supplement.

Singapore: Dd's favorite and I love it too, but it went too fast for ds.

MM: I'm so impressed with this. I do think dd will like it more when her fine motor skills can deal with the tiny spaces.

EPGY: Dd has just started and seems enthusiastic. It will keep her more productively busy than WebKinz during ds's 1 on 1 time.

MUS: The best one yet for ds.

TouchMath: Ds works on this with a tutor.

Developmental math: It's a nice idea, but it didn't work for ds.

Letz Farmer's special needs arithmetic (whose name escapes me): I like the idea, but there's not enough teacher direction. I have used the games and like them.

I hope we've finally found a good fit for both kids. I'd so like to just order the next level and not have to shift around. OTOH, I don't think we're a one curriculum kind of family...

We used Saxon for first grade with my son. It wasn't a good fit for us, and we switched to Singapore Primary Math U.S. edition after that. He and dd have done well with Singapore. I supplement with Horizons. Since we are using Life of Fred as a supplement and as neither Fractions, Decimals and Percents, nor Pre-Algebra Biology are full year programs, I didn't count Fred. Much as we love him. So my total is three.

eta: I now see that the Key To.... series is being counted. We used Fractions and Decimals as supplements.

Edited by Melora in NC
forgot one

I used Singapore and Miquon with dd for kindergarten and first. I used Righstart C and D with her for second and third. I purchased the entire set of Miquon books when she was starting K5, so occasionally we pull out them out for a fun break. We just started Life of Fred Fractions. I used Righstart A and half of B for ds for kindergarten, and now we've ordered Singapore 1A to use over the summer.

I didn't realize I had purchased so many curriculums until I went through and counted!

I've purchased:

Making Math Meaningful

Saxon

Miquon

Singapore

Math U See

Math Mammoth

Horizons

Life of Fred

Keys to....

I started my oldest in MMM. The next year we did a combo of Singapore and Miquon. The following year my next boy came aboard and I decided to do Saxon for both. Saxon was a horrible fit for the younger and I really didn't want to do 2 different math curriculums. We switched to Math U See for everyone and we've pretty much camped out there except for adding in the others listed above as supplements.

Ok, total outlier here...

ALEKs - complete, total waste of time. 100% on everything and ZERO retention

Muggles Pre-Algebra - what a fun way to learn an otherwise boring subject.

Critical Thinking Mathematics - (actionmathematics.com) Awesome stuff. Too bad my own math skills suck too much to teach it.

Systematic Mathematics - pre-new math, low speed video & 1 page exercises. Don't know how the guy does it but kid knows everything through algebra backwards and forwards.

Math-u-See - again, waste of time. 100% on Honors Geometry and kid doesn't remember a bloody thing.

Alg 2/Pre-Calc - R.E.A.L Mathematics (arealeducation.com) - lessons and tests free on the web, must pay for DVD instruction. EXTREMELY religious, but boy, can this guy teach! Again, single page exercises. Focus is on mastery, not repetition (can you tell this approach works for kid?).

Like I said - outliers.

a

I have 4 children from 8-17yo, and my oldest had trouble with math, so we have tried a lot.

For grades K-6 only:

1. BJU: I have used part or all of K, 1, 3.
  2. Miquon: I used this for all of mine. It was the only program for my older two, and a supplement for the younger 2
  3. Making Math Meaningful: My oldest used level 2 for several months in second grade
  4. Singapore Primary Math, 3rd edition: My oldest used 3A/3B and parts of 4A/5A. This didn't really work well for him, but I kept trying again because it was perfect for his brother and would have been perfect for me. My second son used 4A-6B.
  5. Saxon: My oldest son switched to 65 from Singapore 4A when I realized that Singapore wasn't working. He used this and part of 76. Saxon really doesn't work for my teaching/learning style, and he was still struggling, so I didn't finish Saxon 76. (I retried Singapore with 5A at this point, but it still wasn't a good fit.)
  6. Spectrum: I used the Spectrum workbooks with the same oldest who struggled with math to finish up the year after Saxon 76 and Singapore 5A didn't work out.
  7. Singapore Earlybird (older 4 workbook edition, with 1A/1B/2A/2B): My daughter used this and loved it in pre-k and part of K.
  8. Singapore Primary Math, US edition: My younger 2 have used 1A/1B/2A/2B of this, since the third edition was no longer available. They also used US edition workbooks with our 3rd edition textbooks/coursebooks. (Since we already have the 3rd edition texts, I haven't looked at the Standards edition.)
  9. MUS: since PreAlgebra worked out really well for my oldest (finally understanding and learning math again for the first time since Miquon and Making Math Meaningful), I used Primer and Beta for my little ones one year. We didn't like it for various reasons, so we went back to Singapore and Miquon.
  10. MEP: After buying Singapore for my younger two for this coming school year, I took a look at the lower levels of this for the first time (I had looked at years 7-9 for the older two a few times, but could never see where they would fit in the sequence.) I fell in love with the way math is presented, and decided to use that this year. Since we already have the Singapore materials, I will try to use both, but if the time commitment isn't too much I will probably drop PM and use only MEP, depending on how the children are doing with it.

We own:

MCP Math

Miquon

Math Mammoth

We currently use:

Math Mammoth

Miquon

Sometimes we use Family Math games as a complement to our program, but I don't regard it as a complete program (some would argue this I guess).

We've used

Miquon

Singapore Earlybird-2B

Horizons 3-5, and I have 6 on the shelf for next year

Aleks during last summer

I also have

Lial's BCM

an old Dolciani Algebra book

Life of Fred: Fractions

I purchased and sold unused

Saxon 5/4

ETA: I just reread the original post and realized I shouldn't have included the Algebra book. oops

Edited by Robyn