Menu

Poll: What do you call...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Ohio, it was ground beef or ground chuck depending on quality.

Here in the Boston arear (he he) they say hamburg. They also call the sandwich a hamburg too.

Can I just say that this annoys me so much? I have trained my husband to say it with less frequently though :)

I grew up in the Milwaukee WI area and it hamburger there, no matter what the cut. My dh is from IA and he also calls it hamburger. Although we don't agree on the Soda or Pop thing. To me it's soda, to him Pop. Don't even get me started on the Drinking Fountain or Bubbler thing as I know that's something only found where I'm from. The first time I told Dh I was going to get a drink from the Bubbler, he looked at me like I had grown a second head :001_huh:

the ground meat that you use to make hamburgers? And with your answer, could you also say where you grew up?

I promise this is not a trick question. ;) I just didn't know before I moved to MA that there was more than one way to say this, and I'm wondering what other regional variations there are.

nt

I grew up in Michigan calling it either hamburger or ground beef. If you actually stood in a proper butcher shop (back then we had those) you might need to specify if you wanted a leaner cut (ie ground round or chuck). Of course I always thought the ground pork looked cooler because the shaped the tray of meat to look like a pig. I guess you can sculpt in many mediums. :001_smile:

Now that I live overseas I have to not only specify what animal I want my ground meat to come from but frequently I also need to order the percentage of fat to be included.

Hamburger and you drink it with a coke (generic name for any sort of soft drink).

Grew up in WI but my parents are from KY/IN. :001_smile:

I also grew up in Indiana and called it hamburger and drank with a coke. Here in Wisconsin it is usually called ground beef although we usually eat ground goat!