• Moon Landing: actual event
    • Kennedy: Oswald acted alone
    • Kennedy: Oswald as agent for CIA, Cubans, etc. OR not Oswald
    • Earhart: accident
    • Earhart: planned disappeance OR foul play
    • Roswell: UFO
    • Roswell: no UFO

Lol.

I'm not voting. Other than the moon landing (which I believe was real!), I'm open to the possibility that some conspiracy theories could be more than just theories. I don't actually believe them to be so, but I can't bring myself to vote the other way. ;)

It's okay... they won't see your answers if you have the hat on when you vote.

:lol:

Interesting poll!

I'm not big into conspiracy theories, although I'm sure that some probably have some merit. Along the lines of "where there's smoke, there's fire" - the theories may not be completely true, but they often have a little bit of truth to them...

I only responded to the first three in the poll. I do believe Di's accident was just that, an accident. I do believe we landed on the moon. I don't believe Oswald was acting alone, but undecided on who else was behind it. The other two I have not spent enough time researching to have formed an opinion one way or the other. In a universe so vast I'm very open to the possibility that there are other sentient beings out there, but whether or not they have ever visited us I don't know.

Princess Di - Not accident

Moon Landing - Actual event

Kennedy - Conspiracy

Earhart - Accident

Roswell - no UFOs

Agree with the above, except I am not sure about Princess Diana. I did not delve into the whole thing when it happened. Suppose it could have been an accident as well.

No takers on faking the moon landing, huh? My engineer brother, who is not usually into conspiracy theories, firmly believes that it was faked. He leaves no possibility that it was not. It makes for fun conversations! :D

ETA: Oops, got one now!

Edited by angela in ohio

Normally I've got a hat on, but with these, I only have two of five!

Di - accident

Moon - actual event

Kennedy - Oswald had help

Earhart - accident

Roswell - UFO, yes. Sentient beings on the unidentified object? Probably, but I'm not as certain.

I think it's interesting that (at this point) the conspiracy theory with the highest vote right now is that Oswald didn't act alone. Anyone want to speculate why that one is most popular? We care more about it and so there have been more stories/reports/movies about it? or something about the Kennedys per se?

The Oswald thing is just hard for me to wrap my brain around. Maybe it is easier to think he was the fall guy for some conspiracy then to think he was stark raving mad but still smart enough to pull off the deed.

I think it's interesting that (at this point) the conspiracy theory with the highest vote right now is that Oswald didn't act alone. Anyone want to speculate why that one is most popular? We care more about it and so there have been more stories/reports/movies about it? or something about the Kennedys per se?

Yes, interesting split. My personal belief is that it was a mob thing.

When my dad would send his wife to the store for tin foil, she'd automatically ask, "What duty?" Dh & I, mystified the first time this happened, looked back at Dad, who answered, "Heavy." Leaning over his shoulder, I saw his stash. There were at least 5 "duties" in maybe 3 different sizes apiece. Dad was a serious tin foil aficionado. :lol:

My foil hats are much more basic (& my paranoia not nearly what his was--I joke about hiring PIs; he would do it).

Still, though, the poll is...difficult. I can really only answer one--the Kennedy thing. After doing a highschool research project on Kennedy, there's no way Oswald acted alone. I doubt he was even the killer.

The rest of it? Di's death could certainly have been an accident. It could have been foul play. Equally possible, imo. The moon landing? Dh would die to hear it (he believes there was a moon landing), but I think it's pretty possible that it was a hoax. If I *had* to guess, I'd say it was real, but life is so much more interesting when you *really* entertain all the possibilities.

I mean, we used to laugh at the idiots who thought the world was flat & the center of the universe when I was a kid. Until one day, in our laughter, I heard the echoes of *their* laughter, laughing at the idiots who didn't know that the earth was flat & the center of the universe. How do *I* know what I know? It was simply told to me in school, the same way the majority of the medieval guys knew what they knew. Plus, my friend who's a PhD in math says that, technically, there is a mathematical equation in which the earth really *could be* the center of the universe. Maybe not popular, maybe not likely, but I'm not going to be the guy who forgets that Copernicus was once unpopular. :001_huh: (I usually finish up monologues like these--to dh--with the fact that I'm hs'ing his kids. He hasn't fired me...so far.....)

I'll stop before I get to evolution. It's enough to say that I don't have strong opinions but that the possibilities I entertain on this subject would probably offend the whole spectrum of evolutionary/non-evolutionary theories. :lol:

In conclusion? Pass the tinfoil. :001_huh: I'd better go w/ Extra-Heavy Duty. ;)

Edited by Aubrey

I hope the Roswell thing is true - I'm always pulling for the REALLY NICE aliens (not the scary, destroying the earth, "take me to your leader" type of aliens, though). I must be tightly wrapped today! :lol:

Well it must be true, because I saw it on TV. :tongue_smilie:

I'd share my answers, but then they would be public, and then, well, I'd have to change my identity, my planet, er country of origin, etc.

I'll just say I believe about 50% of what I see on TV, 50% of what I read in the paper, and have some wild speculations of my own based upon what I was allowed to read as a child. :D

I am generally a tin foil hat wearer but I came out less than I would expect on this poll.

Di - accident

Moon - actual event although I could easily believe that it was not given any proof

Kennedy - I don't think Oswald was responsible at all

Earhart - accident

Roswell - UFOs, yes.

Neat poll though. You could probably do another that includes: 911, the Bilderberger Group, secret societies, the Da Vinci code and more.

Uhmm....

Don't know what "tin foil level" means.

From Wikipedia (don't tell my students I quoted Wikipedia :D)...

A tin foil hat is a piece of headgear made from one or more sheets of aluminium foil or similar material. Alternatively it may be a conventional hat lined with foil. One may wear the hat in the belief that it acts to shield the brain from such influences as electromagnetic fields, or against mind control and/or mind reading; or attempt to limit the transmission of voices directly into the brain.[citation needed]

The concept of wearing a tin foil hat for protection from such threats has become a popular stereotype and term of derision; the phrase serves as a byword for paranoia and persecutory delusions, and is associated with conspiracy theorists.

Normally I've got a hat on, but with these, I only have two of five!

Di - accident

Moon - actual event

Kennedy - Oswald had help

Earhart - accident

Roswell - UFO, yes. Sentient beings on the unidentified object? Probably, but I'm not as certain.

:iagree:

Di- accident

Kennedy- not convinced Oswald acted alone

Moon Landing- real, because Mythbusters said so :tongue_smilie:

Earhart- accident

Roswell/Aliens- BUT OF COURSE!! :eek:

Hmmm, I usually score much higher on tin-foil scales. :D

Well it must be true, because I saw it on TV. :tongue_smilie:

I'd share my answers, but then they would be public, and then, well, I'd have to change my identity, my planet, er country of origin, etc.

I'll just say I believe about 50% of what I see on TV, 50% of what I read in the paper, and have some wild speculations of my own based upon what I was allowed to read as a child. :D

:iagree: :lol: :lol:

I'm sort of surprised by the amount of tin foil floating around. I don't even like using that stuff with my food :lol:

You know, I don't use it at all, but apparently, I should be making a hat with it...:)

But, I'm daring enough to say to the aliens, "Come and try to control my mind. In a day, you'll leave, screaming!" That's the same reason I'll never be allowed to be part of the Borg.

I think any are possible, but voted for 3 as likely.