Menu

Do have a favorite foreign fruit?

That should read, do you have a favorite foreign fruit?

Is there a fruit you like that you are unable to get in America, but have enjoyed abroad? Do you find yourself planning trips abroad around the time that fruit is in season, or scouting out produce markets in bigger cities in America, in hopes that maybe that fruit is now available in the U.S.?

I love mirabelles (cherry plums in England, I hear) and they are only available mid-late Aug. I am planning our trip back to America with a stop in France to enjoy this fruit. I also really like apple mangoes, which are only available here in India in July. Part of me thinks it is silly to plan trips around fruit seasons, but hey, why not?

That should read, do you have a favorite foreign fruit?

Is there a fruit you like that you are unable to get in America, but have enjoyed abroad? Do you find yourself planning trips abroad around the time that fruit is in season, or scouting out produce markets in bigger cities in America, in hopes that maybe that fruit is now available in the U.S.?

I love mirabelles (cherry plums in England, I hear) and they are only available mid-late Aug. I am planning our trip back to America with a stop in France to enjoy this fruit. I also really like apple mangoes, which are only available here in India in July. Part of me thinks it is silly to plan trips around fruit seasons, but hey, why not?

lychee and rose apples.

I ate these as a kid in Africa. I saw a variety of lychee in Hawaii once, but they weren't as big. I think the rose apple tree we had growing wasn't native to the local. They were delicious.

I also love cacao beans. There's a sweet white "slime" around the beans that is delish. You suck it off and spit out the (chocolate) bean.

Edited by CalicoKat

It's called Feltsalat, and I have only ever had it in Germany.

I have tried to find it here in the states. I'm told it's the same plant as mache, but the leaves look so different.

When I was coming back from Germany I bought some seeds in the Amsterdam airport, but they were irradiated at Customs and would not germinate.

I love Jack Fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

I discovered it when on holidaying in Kerela, southern India.

Our hosts whilst away made sure we also bought bags ( and bags) of dried Jack Fruit chips back with us. ( the thought of eating the dried ones now turns my stomach...yes, I ate too many of them)

Here is a link to a photo of my son and the Jack Fruit.

http://web.mac.com/sgilli3/Wadi_Whispers/Wadi_Whispers/Entries/2008/6/8_Entry_1.html

I love Jack Fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

I discovered it when on holidaying in Kerela, southern India.

Our hosts whilst away made sure we also bought bags ( and bags) of dried Jack Fruit chips back with us. ( the thought of eating the dried ones now turns my stomach...yes, I ate too many of them)

Here is a link to a photo of my son and the Jack Fruit.

http://web.mac.com/sgilli3/Wadi_Whispers/Wadi_Whispers/Entries/2008/6/8_Entry_1.html

We get canned jack fruit all the time. And dried jack fruit (not to turn your stomach or anything:)) Perhaps it isn't the same as fresh though.

We get canned jack fruit all the time. And dried jack fruit (not to turn your stomach or anything:)) Perhaps it isn't the same as fresh though.

Yes, I have seen tinned jack fruit in the supermarkets here, just haven't been brave enough to try it. I'm sure one day my love for jack fruit chips will return....but for now, no thanks.:ack2:

I tried jackfruit about a year ago, and if I recall, it tasted like pineapple, with a texture like cheese curds. Interesting experience!

And thank you, CalicoKat, for that list of exotic fruit!

Sanguinella -- blood oranges. I've seen them in groceries in the past couple years but they are a bland relative of the real thing.

Carambola -- star fruit. They're available here now.

Funny story about blood oranges. The first time my family saw/bought some was in the '79 about the same time someone was randomly putting poison in fruit in Europe.

My mom bought them, cut them open and was convinced we'd bought some of the poisoned fruit. She took it back to the store. Boy, between my mom's broken French and the grocery's broken English they finally got it resolved. It was quite a scene. :D

Lol, Mrs. Mungo. Yes, I was thinking mainland USA. Have you tried fruit in Hawaii that you hadn't seen in mainland America or Europe before?

Thanks to the poster who pointed out that different countries may have different names for the same fruit. There are some things I've seen here that I haven't tried, but may now after hearing here how good they are.

Lychees have been available for about a month now, but I'm not crazy about them (they're okay, just not something I get excited about), and you have to peel them, so I have just passed on them. We're heavy into mango season, so I'm buying those every day, big ones for like 30 cents a piece. What a deal! I'm really looking forward to those apple mangoes coming back. It's one of the reasons I don't want to leave here before August, lol!

Fun thread. Carol posted about a favorite foreign vegetable. Anyone have more to share on that?

I am not certain how to spell it, so I will spell it phonetically. Maybe someone can help me out.

Ginups - Jamaica. Loved them when I was there.

I also enjoy a good mango, but having had mangos when I was there, I have found that anything I can buy here is TERRIBLE by comparison, so no mangos for me.

Faith

We get most if not all of these fruits fresh here in Australia, especially at markets. It's probably our proximity to Asia.

I love young Thai coconuts- the whole family does. They have the outer husk taken off. You still need a sharp machete type knife to hack into the centre part. You drink the juice- it is full to the brim of up to a litre of sweet coconut water, and then there will be a thick rind of sweet, soft coconut meat as well (not the hard stuff like in ripened coconuts). We have discovered a cheap source for them at a local Asian deli,($2.50 Au each) and we buy lots as treats. I am glad my kids have quirks like that as well as liking KFC! They also like most exotic fruits.

We have papaya regularly, and mangoes- relaly good ones. They are grown locally.

I did try durian fruit recently. I had heard about it and seen them in Asia. Also, signs saying "no eating durian here" because of the smell. They have a strong smell, and an aquired taste.

I saw them at the same Asian deli I frequent, and decided to be adventurous since we all love trying new fruits. It was huge, and they have several compartments with huge seeds. The Chinese lady at the counter encrouaged me and my son, saying it was the "King of Fruits".

Unfortunately, although it wasnt absolutely revolting or anything, it wasnt something I really enjoyed, and no one else did either. Dh said he would finish it but he didn't. Eventually the chickens got it.

I like a wider variety of bananas than I can get here on the US mainland, but my mother was recently in Hawaii and tried a few different kinds there, so there's another cheer for Hawaii.

My mother also has a loquat tree in her yard. I recently saw some bruised, pathetic specimens at a grocery store for $6 / lb. That was my first time to see them anywhere but her yard! ;) So not foreign but unusual.

lychee and rose apples.

I ate these as a kid in Africa. I saw a variety of lychee in Hawaii once, but they weren't as big. I think the rose apple tree we had growing wasn't native to the local. They were delicious.

I also love cacao beans. There's a sweet white "slime" around the beans that is delish. You suck it off and spit out the (chocolate) bean.

Yummy! I love rose apples!

I know a tree in Laguna :)

I haven't raided it in a while, but the people who used to live there were very generous to share them.

I think they're ready to eat in the fall. The fruit looks like this though:http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://heartgarden.com.au/images/rose_apple.jpg&imgrefurl=http://heartgarden.com.au/description.asp%3Fid%3D186&usg=__WjEr_cjgDCCPBNwf4Imhx7CwuLE=&h=307&w=350&sz=57&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=haL8tbovlWVXXM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drose%2Bapples%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1 Are those the same?

Come on over in the fall, we can do a midnight pillage. :001_smile:

Lingonberries.

I'n never actually had a plain lingonberry, but I love the jam! I have only had it in Sweden.

I don't plan trips to Sweden to buy it. ;)

Tara

It's the real thing, too--the kind you put in Swedish pancakes and roll them up and put powdered sugar on top. Or put on pork chops.

I have many. There is this tangy sweet fruit that I have seen available in europe and the midddle east but not here: Loquats. The good thing is that we have seen loquat trees in Orlando. We gathered up as much of the fruit as we could and we have planted the pits and they have grown. I can't wait until it starts to fruit.

Another one that I wish we had here is mamey sapote and mamey. When i lived in south FL we used to eat them all the time and I really miss them.

I am not certain how to spell it, so I will spell it phonetically. Maybe someone can help me out.

Ginups - Jamaica. Loved them when I was there.

I also enjoy a good mango, but having had mangos when I was there, I have found that anything I can buy here is TERRIBLE by comparison, so no mangos for me.

Faith

Yeah! When I lived in S. FL we called these mamey. At least that is what the hispanic comunity called them.

It's the real thing, too--the kind you put in Swedish pancakes and roll them up and put powdered sugar on top. Or put on pork chops.

I have bought the Ikea jam twice. The first time, it was really good. The second time it had a very chemically taste. I noticed it has preservatives, which I find odd in a jam. Anyway, I was disappointed.

lychee

I've seen them canned here but never fresh. I want to peel and eat!

They can often be found in Asian markets, but it's usually a toss up on how good they are.

Quenepas! We used to buy them for $1 a bag on the street in Puerto Rico. Yummy!

Yes! I did this when I went to Puerto Rico when I was 12 yrs old. I've longing for them ever since!

What I wish I had access to are Indian Mangoes. The ones imported from Mexico are okay, but nothing compares to the ones in India. They just started allowing the import of them last year but were pricey! $25 for a box of 10, compared to $6 for the box from Mexico. And this was at the more affordable grocer. Some places were charging $44 for a box. This was when they first allowed import, I'm not sure what the prices are now since I no longer have access to a decent Indian grocery store anymore.

The worst thing is I just went to India in March but it was just before the start of mango season, so I didn't even get any when I was there. I could see them just starting to grow on the trees. It's like that feeling of being so close but not.:glare:

Edited by sleepymommy

I like these, too, Lady Q. I haven't been buying them lately, though, since the resin (is that the word for the gummy stuff inside?) sticks to my teeth and it's a pain to get it off. And we're pretty deep into mangoes right now.

Here in Tamil Nadu your fruit is called sapota.

It sure is fun hearing all the different names for the same fruits.

Funny story about blood oranges. The first time my family saw/bought some was in the '79 about the same time someone was randomly putting poison in fruit in Europe.

My mom bought them, cut them open and was convinced we'd bought some of the poisoned fruit. She took it back to the store. Boy, between my mom's broken French and the grocery's broken English they finally got it resolved. It was quite a scene. :D

:lol: The name sounds disgusting but boy are they luscious. I can only imagine cutting into them and being freaked out.

To this day, if things are in the wrong places on shelves, like tylenol, I get suspicious. Of course a creepy poisoner would be meticulous about putting it back where it ought to be, but still....

Lingonberries.

I'n never actually had a plain lingonberry, but I love the jam! I have only had it in Sweden.

Tara

I'm pretty sure they sell them at Ikea.

Wendi

Italian Blood Oranges. Mmmmm. Very sweet and yummy.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these!!

Lingonberries.

Tara

A local restaurant makes a delicious lingonberry entree. Yes, in South Dakota! of all places.

I like these, too, Lady Q. I haven't been buying them lately, though, since the resin (is that the word for the gummy stuff inside?) sticks to my teeth and it's a pain to get it off. And we're pretty deep into mangoes right now.

Here in Tamil Nadu your fruit is called sapota.

It sure is fun hearing all the different names for the same fruits.

Sapota? Oh, interesting. :)

I once read this utterly fascinating book about fruits (including tons of exotic ones) called The Fruit Hunters.

The best mangoes in the world grew on this one tree in my backyard. My husband will occasionally bring home a mango for the grocery store but there is no comparison. *sigh*

I just have to make do with what we can find fresh growing here: strawberries in June, blueberries in July, apples in the fall and these yummy! peaches our farmstand gets in from Pennsylvania. I am so glad that summer's coming!