Menu

I'm really sad. One of our dogs bit someone today.

She got out of the back yard and bit our neighbor, who was trying to shoo her back to our yard. It's bad enough that she bit someone, but it's doubly serious b/c it's not the first time she's been aggressive. She had nipped at people when she was a puppy/young dog (she's now 5ish), but we had gotten training with a dog trainer, and didn't think she would still act this aggressively.

I'm really, really sad that she hurt our neighbor. I'm also sad b/c we're probably going to have to put her down.

Lisa

:grouphug: I know what you are going through. We had to put a dog down for the same reason, even though the person she bit wasn't too worried about it because it was a very small wound.

In our case, we figured out that our dog couldn't handle pregnancy hormones. She was generally fine most of time. However, when I was pregnant, she went nuts and wouldn't let anyone within 15 feet of me. Any time someone got with 15-20 feet of me, she'd start to growl and bark. If you got close enough to nip, she would.

The no kill shelter that required you give dogs back to them if you couldn't keep them, refused to take her back. They recommended putting her down because the previous owner can still be liable if the dog bites under the care of the new owner, even if the new owner knows about the behavior.

My kids don't know she was put down; they think she went to a new home.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. I worry about that with our own dog. She's super sweet and harmless around us, but others seem to make her anxious. I don't know what to say. How bad was the bite? What was her/his attack like? Did she feel reasonably threatened?

That's too bad. I'm so sorry. The best dogs can be unpredicatable, and really benefit from being crated or secured inside when they are not being supervised outside. One can never truly trust that a dog, no matter how well socialized, will not feel threatened and strike out by biting. Even after all these years, I put my dogs in my room when we have children or non -relatives over. I had teens over tongiht--kids who have been to the house several times before, but I still hooked the latch and put them in my room.

A couple of times my wimpy and gentle dog has gotten loose. Both times, I was grateful she was not scared and I was not sued. My heart was in my thraot both times. One never knows. The onus is always on the owner, not the dog.

One is never really totally in the clear with animals. I think about that all the time.

Edited by LibraryLover

Hm.

I've been bitten by dogs. None of them were destroyed for it. When I was growing up, one of our dogs bit ALL of us at some point. She wasn't mauling us, kwim - she just occasionally snapped & looking back we were not always very good at reading her. She broke skin numerous times.

I've also been bitten by a couple other dogs - again, broken skin but no stitches required. I was just reminiscing a few days ago with my mom about her friend's dog which bit me when I was a little kid.

What size of dog? How bad a bite?

To me bites are not black & white. There's an awful lot of grey in between.

Dogs bite, cats scratch, horses kick & throw you, llamas spit, goats will kick you and then eat whatever you're wearing......

People hit and toddlers bite and there, too - there is loads of grey and there are times it's understood, and times where it's serious and there are big consequences. It's just not a black & white issue & I don't agree with a blanket policy against dogs who have bitten.......

Tough situation for you. :grouphug:

Hm.

I've been bitten by dogs. None of them were destroyed for it. When I was growing up, one of our dogs bit ALL of us at some point. She wasn't mauling us, kwim - she just occasionally snapped & looking back we were not always very good at reading her. She broke skin numerous times.

I've also been bitten by a couple other dogs - again, broken skin but no stitches required. I was just reminiscing a few days ago with my mom about her friend's dog which bit me when I was a little kid.

Dogs bite, cats scratch, horses kick & throw you, llamas spit, goats will kick you and then eat whatever you're wearing......

People hit and toddlers bite and there, too - there is loads of grey and there are times it's understood, and times where it's serious and there are big consequences. It's just not a black & white issue & I don't agree with a blanket policy against dogs who have bitten.......

It's true that a nip is not a bite, and that people will not always hate on a biting dog.

I do worry about people who are not so kind. Most folks see dogs as a menace...esp a dog not restrained outside properly. Our society does not tend to be patient with nippy dogs-- or teens walking in the mall. There is always 'trouble afoot", and always room for legalities.

She got out of the back yard and bit our neighbor, who was trying to shoo her back to our yard. It's bad enough that she bit someone, but it's doubly serious b/c it's not the first time she's been aggressive. She had nipped at people when she was a puppy/young dog (she's now 5ish), but we had gotten training with a dog trainer, and didn't think she would still act this aggressively.

I'm really, really sad that she hurt our neighbor. I'm also sad b/c we're probably going to have to put her down.

Lisa

Aw, Lisa. I'm sorry. It's so hard. I wonder what got into her?

That is one of the things that worries me about having dogs that I don't have to worry with about cats.
My mom had a cat that scratched a visitor; no provocation, mom and the visitor were sitting at the dining room table and for no apparent reason the cat swiped at her leg. It broke the skin, and quickly the scratch became infected. Mom had a call from whatever agency it is that handles overseeing pets, and ultimately had the cat put to sleep. There was no bad feeling between anyone (any of the humans anyway, lol), everyone involved were adults who were caring of each other and pets, it was just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Hm.

This is well said. I do think we tend to go overboard with destroying animals that bite. Having said that, there is a dog in our neighborhood that REALLY worries me. He is a black German Shepard that is in a yard with an invisible fence. He barks at the kids when they are outside the fence and if they happen to go in his yard (a family with 4 kids) he attacks in stealth mode...no warning. He has bitten my son on the behind twice (didn't break the skin) and another kid once (didn't break the skin). Then the other day an 11 year old girl was just standing there (she claims outside his fence line) and he bit her on the back of the thigh before she knew he was there. He wouldn't let go either...she had to turn around and punch him in the face before he would let go. The bite is very deep and very bad. She has had 2 trips to the plastic surgeon already...her dancing was restricted for 2 weeks and she can't get it in the sun ALL SUMMER....has to wear a special sleeve for it.

I agree all kinds of grey area....one time my son was bitten by the neighbor's (another neighbor) cat. Ds was about 4 and had the cat cornered in the flower bed trying to pet her....she bit him. Of course. I doubled checked with my neighbor that the cat was current on shots...disinfected the bite and told ds I hope he had learned a lesson about cornering animals. Shrug.

Personally, while I wouldn't keep this dog any longer, maybe there's an alternative to putting it down. Could there be a rescue group who would take her?

I remember when my ds was a baby, learning to walk, he fell on my VERY docile greyhound while she was sleeping. She woke with a start, turned around and put his whole head between her teeth! I was less than an arms length away (I NEVER left them alone) and I still couldn't stop it. Thank G-d she didn't bite down, just had her jaws on his head. I took him to the doctor becuase she did break his skin. It was VERY minor, but he still has that teeny scar on his forehead. We did keep Miss Katie, who has passed, but recognized that ANY dog can bite.

I"m just so sorry your family is going through this.

HUGS! Nan:grouphug:

:grouphug:

I just wanted to say how much compassion I have for you.

I'm a super responsible dog owner (I normally don't even use that term -- they're family members).

But I've even been surprised at some of the dilemmas that have come up with having a dog. It's somewhat like having kids: things happen that you never expect. And then you have to make hard decisions.

One idea: can the dog become an 100 percent inside dog so that he/she can't ever get out again?

(I know, I know, people will disagree with me. But I'd probably head in that direction.)

Alley

Lisa, please don't put your dog down over this. If she's been a good dog to your family, then you need to make adjustments to keep her, and everyone else safe. We had to do this with our dachsund. He is an ankle biter! He's also bitten children. BUT, he was tormented as a puppy and when we got him at FOUR MONTHS OLD, we knew that kids had been mean to him. SO, I worked with him and made it work for our family. He's a GREAT, loyal dog to us and I'd never destroy him, but I do take precautions.

We live in the country so I do let him go outside unattended. I don't, however, let him stay outside if UPS or Fed Ex is delivering a package as he'll bite their ankles. Thankfully they wear boots, and most people don't get terrified of my 13 pound dog. But still, I wouldn't leave him outside unattended if anyone was coming to the house. Since you do have neighbors, I'd suggest you not let your dog out of your eyesight when he goes out to do his thing. If he's going outside for an extended period of time, put a ........................... oh I'm drawing a blank, one of those systems to keep the dog restrained but yet able to run around? I forget what they're called.

Also, when having company over, muzzle him or keep him on a leash. When we have company over, I hold my dachsund or put him in the cage until everyone is settled in. I then let him out, tell everyone to ignore him, and once he's smelled everyone's ankles :D without a threatening hand coming down to him, he's fine. After that initial smell, he's fine to be pet. If he wasn't, I'd put him in his cage upstairs. When our kids were younger and our boys had boys over to play, the dachsund stayed in his cage. He obviously had issues with young boys before we got him, so I didn't set him up for failure.

Please update us!!!

• 10 months later...

Oh no! I'm so sorry this happened. Please consider some of the suggestions the other posters have made as an alternative to having the dog killed.

I currently have a dog that has not yet bitten but I think he could/would. He is a street rescue when he was several months old. He was obviously mistreated/abused before we got him. After over 5 years, he is still terrified of men, especially if they are wearing a ballcap. His natural tendency is to back away and bark but if he felt threatened or cornered, I'm sure he would bite. We keep him inside full-time, take him out only on a leash, and crate him when company comes over. So far, this has worked for us.

Pegasus

Cats bite, too, though.

I had a cat who bit someone. I was moving in with future DH, his roommate was moving out. Roommate got bit and needed an ER visit- wanted me to pay. Turns out she didn't want the cat in her room while she was moving, so instead of giving me the cat to put in another room, she took the cat and held his head under running water. Then she was surprised that the cat bit her.

I told her to take me to small claims court. She decided not to- this was in Boulder, CO- they probably would have arrested her for cruelty to animals.

Cats bite, too, though.

My brother had to put his cat in the yard on a tether, because when she roamed, she loved to get in the yards were some little dog was tethered and beat them up. Sado-cat.

:grouphug: to the OP. I wish you wisdom in your course of action.

:grouphug: I am so sorry. I know how hard that would have to be. That is one of the things that worries me about having dogs that I don't have to worry with about cats.

REALLY!!!! We have an evil cat who growls at strangers and will attack them if they enter the house lol. He truly hates men and most children he will tolerate women some times..... He hates other animals, is HUGE, takes out coons, possums any animal really. I tried to put some food in a bowl for him the other day he came right up and bit me. Funny he loves my son who has autism and he loves that cat so no getting rid of him.

To the OP I am so sorry this has happened to you I hope your children will be OK with whatever choice you must make.

I am just a big animal lover and I don't believe in putting a dog down unless absolutely nessicary. 99% of the time humans are overboard on this. Some many times a dog bites due to the human being the aggressive one. Dog goes into attack mode due to the aggressive human. I know for a fact because my dog is LOVEABLE but thanks to my neighbor always bothering her she now don't like no one coming near the fence. She will nip and growl at you. She is now in the county away from 'stuip' humans.

My other dog is also lovable but did nip at the vet. Heck I would too if someone stuck a thermometer up my butt. They said they knew here and didn't muzzle her. I didn't feel concerned but she quickly turned around and nipped at the tech and the tech threaten to put her down and I told her to leave the room and to stay away from my dog. I reported her and learned she was relieved from duty there. Apperenlty she doesn't like dogs and is always negative with them.

Now there are some that are just way to aggressive with anyone and there is no choice but to put down. From the org. post your dog got loose, neighbor shooed your dog away. Well how did she/he do that? Yelling screaming throwing something at the dog? Those will sometimes set off a dog. well I hope you look for another way out instead of killing the dog.

This thread is nearly a year old. Whatever was going to happen or not happen is over by now.

How funny! How did that happen? Scrolling back, it looks like I resurected an old thread but I thought I was only reading the first couple of pages of threads. Weird.

So sorry if it was me!

Pegasus

Oh! I just realized what I did!! I was reading a recent thread and clicked on one of the "similar threads" offered at the bottom of the screen and responded without even looking at the dates. Please let me stay on the board. I'll promise to be more careful.

Edited by Pegasus

How funny! How did that happen? Scrolling back, it looks like I resurected an old thread but I thought I was only reading the first couple of pages of threads. Weird.

So sorry if it was me!

Pegasus

Oh! I just realized what I did!! I was reading a recent thread and clicked on one of the "similar threads" offered at the bottom of the screen and responded without even looking at the dates. Please let me stay on the board. I'll promise to be more careful.

It happens!

Right now (on my browser anyway) the five threads at the bottom of this page are from 2008. It could have been worse! :lol:

No worries. :D

Cats bite, too, though.

Boy is that true! LOL I have a shelter kitty named Chloe who is timid and when I had to hold her down to give her some meds, she bit me so hard that I had to pull my finger back up and off of her tooth - leaving a huge hole in my skin.

Of course, I was shoving antibiotics down her neck and she was scared...and at least she was MY cat. I can't imagine her biting anyone else though - not in a casual contact type situation. :confused:

I hope you do not have to put your dog down. Has she had her shots? Did your neighbor make a huge stink?

ETA: Just realized this thread is OLD. OOPS!!! Oh well...how about a "so, what ended up happenening OP?" LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy