Menu

Please read!!To the pregnant women on the board...VBAC

Please take the risks of a VBAC (if you attempt one) very seriously. I nearly lost my life last Thursday attempting a VBAC. We would have lost the baby as well...

To make a long story short, my water broke while we were at a restaurant eating lunch Thursday. Went to the hospital and labored for about 6 hours with no progress at all. Doctor gave me the choice of going ahead with the C-section, and as much as I fought it, I went ahead and decided to do it.

Good thing I did because the cord was wrapped 3 times around the baby's neck and would have killed him had I decided to continue with labor. Also, the doctor made it perfectly clear I would have ruptured my uterus and may not have made it. And if I was lucky enough to make it, would have needed a transfusion.

So please, if you attempt a VBAC, just know that the risk is there even though it is only 1%.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/blusunrize/Tristan-1.jpg

Blessed to be here and be Classicalmom2seven!

Edited by Classicalmom2six
added picture

Glad you and your baby are ok. This is the VERY reason that after my 1st emergency C-Section, I opted to have my other 2 sectioned as well. My second child also had his cord wrapped around his neck 3 times and I often wondered what could have happened had I opted for a VBAC...it is just not worth risking everything just so I could say I gave birth naturally. I know others have had sucessful VBACS but I wasn't ready to risk it.

So glad you and baby are okay! That is pretty scary. I've had several VBACs w/out complications but am very aware that the risk is there and very real. I also believe that God gives us mothers a sort of "6th sense" of intuition or something like that when it comes to our babies...like you just "know" that something isn't quite right? Glad you went ahead with the c/s and you are both alive and healthy! Congrats!

COngrats on the new baby, glad you are both doing well.

It is scary to learn the cord was wrapped around baby's neck, but that can happen with any pregnancy and is not isolated to VBAC's. You are very lucky that you had to option to do a repeat C-section to avoid a tragedy, I have known a few moms in the last couple years that had their baby die at birth because of the cord being wrapped multiple times around the neck and none of them were VBAC moms. I have had 3 VBAC's, by the time I had my last baby the ob did not even give me the choice of section anymore, I was treated like any other vag delivery mom. The risk of rupture is there but again like you said is very small. I had my first VBAC less than 11 months after my section and had prolonged labour(early labour of 3 days, active labour was a short 6 hours), with a vacuum extraction. I did not rupture, though the recovery was harsh from damage done from the vacuum.

There is a risk everytime we do something including giving birth. I have a higher risk of hemorraging after delivery because I have had so many now, than I do of ruptured uterus at this point. Over all I think the risks associated with a C-section are much higher than a VBAC, and I would hate to scare someone off from attempting one because of a fear of a complication that could occur in any pregnancy/delivery.

I think warning others to be aware of the risks is a good thing, but let's not make it about who made the best delivery choice (as I felt a pp was implying).

Glad to hear you are okay although it doesn't sound like your complications had anything to do with the VBAC itself. Cord issues can happen to anyone and yes I'm sure it was quite scary. I know when I did my first VBAC my doctor told me LOTS of bad stuff that could happen and really scared me however she didn't mention even once upon the complications that can result from a c-section. As someone who had already had a c-section gone bad, it was obvious she was very one-sided in the information she was handing out. And to be honest those c-section risks scare me a whole more than uterine rupture. We also had a young girl from our church die as a result of a botched c-section so I'm pretty paranoid about going that direction. I've had 3 VBAC's after 2 c-sections and there are risks no matter how I deliver. But I believe my life and my children's lives are in God's hand and I trust Him to guide me to make the correct decisions for plans He has for us.

I am so glad you and the baby are well!

I'm not sure what the cord wrapped around the neck has to do with VBAC though. My 4th child had her cord wrapped around her neck FOUR times. She was born pure white and lifeless. The Dr. counted each wrap out loud as he quickly unwound them after her head was delivered, so I KNOW it was 4. I heard it. My DD took about 20 minutes of oxygen to turn pink. She is perfectly fine now but of course, it could have gone the other way. I have never had a C-section. Cords around necks are just a possible complication of any birth.

otoh...I've had 4 vbac's with no incidence.

The two c-sections I had almost killed me and my dc.

I'll spare you the awful details, but suffice it to say c-sections are not necessarily safer.

Glad you and baby are well!

Congrats!!

I'm not trying to start a debate or whatever...I just wanted the ladies on here that are pregnant and may be thinking about a VBAC to know that the 1% chance of rupture, although very small, can happen to them. I thought it would never happen to me because I had 5 natural births in a row before my 1st C-section. So, I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me...but it was.

That's all I was saying...

Glad you and Tristan got the C-sec and avoided tragedy!

Congrats on your new addition :)

ETA after reading responses: The reason C said it was about VBAC was that her doctor was positive that she would have been part of the statistic that tragedy happens to. Obviously the doctor saw something that made him believe C would have been in grave danger because of what was happening to her uterus in labor, not just because of the cord around little Tristan's neck.

I didn't get from the OP (maybe because I know her?) that she thought the cord had anything to do with the VBAC. However, her uterus rupturing surely would.

ETA2: You've only posted on this board 7 times?!?! For other boardies, C was on the old boards a little more regularly.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I'm not trying to start a debate or whatever...I just wanted the ladies on here that are pregnant and may be thinking about a VBAC to know that the 1% chance of rupture, although very small, can happen to them. I thought it would never happen to me because I had 5 natural births in a row before my 1st C-section. So, I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me...but it was.

That's all I was saying...

WOW. I just had my first c-section with our fourth exactly 1 month ago today. Not sure if we will have any more, but you are right it is still good to keep in mind.

Danielle

Whether the op's problem was from a vbac or not I don't know, but my good friend almost died with her sixth. Definitely caused by a vbac. She haemorraged (sp?) two hours after the birth, thank God she was at the hospital. She had trouble for years after that and finally had to have more surgery.

ETA after reading responses: The reason C said it was about VBAC was that her doctor was positive that she would have been part of the statistic that tragedy happens to. Obviously the doctor saw something that made him believe C would have been in grave danger because of what was happening to her uterus in labor, not just because of the cord around little Tristan's neck.

This is content for much medical and anecdotal debate.

I don't want to disrespect the poster or her Dr. but I don't *personally* automatically believe such determinations to be true. My own research and experience goes a different direction.

Congrats on your healthy baby. :) He is beautiful!

I am sorry for your experience--that would be scary.

Statistically speaking, VBACs are safer and pose fewer risks to both mom and baby. The unfortunate thing about statistics is that we forget that they represent real people. The 1% that experience uterine rupture are real people (though not all of those ruptures are morbid/mortal). But the people who have problems because of c-sections are also real people.

I am wondering what monitoring (if any) the OP had during labor? Meaning was the baby's heartrate being monitored and did it indicate fetal distress? The two friends I've had who lost their babies were those who refused all monitoring so the baby's distress was not discovered in time; neither of them were VBAC.

Personally, I feel VBACs are a wonderful option to automatic, repeat c-sections however they should be taken very seriously and extra monitoring should be involved. But then I believe in lots of monitoring VBAC or not. ;)

Doctor gave me the choice of going ahead with the C-section, and as much as I fought it, I went ahead and decided to do it.

Good thing I did because the cord was wrapped 3 times around the baby's neck and would have killed him had I decided to continue with labor. Also, the doctor made it perfectly clear I would have ruptured my uterus and may not have made it. And if I was lucky enough to make it, would have needed a transfusion.

!

I'm glad you and your baby are ok!

I just have to wonder what kind of doctor gives someone a choice but then makes it "perfectly clear" later that you would've ruptured and possibly died???

I am very glad that you and your baby are both fine.

However, I don't think that a c-section is the "safer" option in most cases, so I don't think this should make people forget about even trying a vaginal delivery, whether they've had a previous c-section or not. There are women and babies with serious health consequences from both options, after all. Nor should it be taken as a reason not to ever get pregnant in the first place. It's more a reason to be prepared.

I'm glad you and your baby are ok!

I just have to wonder what kind of doctor gives someone a choice but then makes it "perfectly clear" later that you would've ruptured and possibly died???

:iagree:

Did you have uterine dehiscence? Otherwise, I'm not sure how your doctor could have stated with any real certainty that you would have ruptured.

Not directed at the OP, but others considering a VBAC should also be aware that rupture risk rises drastically with augmentation or induction of any time, including cytotec, cervadil, and pitocin.

I don't want to disrespect the poster or her Dr. but I don't *personally* automatically believe such determinations to be true.

I don't know how to put this.

I don't believe that 70% of women REALLY can't breastfeed, but I would NEVER, in a million years, tell ONE individual person I thought they were wrong about it without a LOT more information. The same is true in this case. There ARE people that have ruptured their uterus during a VBAC and there ARE people who avert disaster by having an emergency c-sec rather than going through with the VBAC. Now, there very well may be (and I believe there is) a huge number of unnecessary c-secs done just because people had a c-sec before. However, I never would tell one mom that though the doctor who saw her uterus's condition said she probably would have been one who ruptured, I think, without seeing the circumstances, he was very likely wrong.

There are all sorts of things like this.

ADHD is WAY over-dx'd, but you don't tell the lady in the grocery store you think it unlikely that her child has it.

The chances my daughter has this particular kidney disease is reallly unlikely (she's the wrong sex and developed it at double the age of the average child who does), but that doesn't change that she does have it.

The great majority of people with a debilitating illness have a diagnosis (or will have one), but it doesn't mean that those with rare or unnamed illnesses aren't sick.

I'm just saying that I like to take things at face value when they happen to an individual. I think we DO need to consider, carefully even!, the whole. On the whole, there are WAY WAY WAY too many c-secs done. On the whole, the majority of pregnancies can safely end with a VBAC. But sometimes things go wrong and sometimes disaster is averted. And I don't think we need to assume that C or her doctor is lying intentionally or unintentionally or that the doctor is just inept.

Congratulations! I am so glad to hear your baby is fine but a cord issue has zero to do with VBAC and while your risk is slightly higher for a rupture because of the C section it is unfair to say your uterus would have ruptured. Could have? Sure, but would have? Woman who have never had C sections have had ruptures.

Anyways, enjoy that bundle of joy!

I'm so glad that you and the baby are ok!

I have had a c-section and a VBAC and would never dream of having a vbac without an experienced doctor to watch for warning signs.

My VBAC was at 29 weeks but due to the extra large heads of my babies (1.5 cm above the chart...) I would probably have chosen a c-section if she hadn't been so early. After DS's birth my ob who I trust completely told me he never would have fit - in fact his head was very stuck which was what caused the c-section in the first place.

I'm just saying that I like to take things at face value when they happen to an individual. I think we DO need to consider, carefully even!, the whole. On the whole, there are WAY WAY WAY too many c-secs done. On the whole, the majority of pregnancies can safely end with a VBAC. But sometimes things go wrong and sometimes disaster is averted. And I don't think we need to assume that C or her doctor is lying intentionally or unintentionally or that the doctor is just inept.

That's a good point. Perhaps the previous poster was reacting to the tendency many doctors have to justify various procedures. I think it's human nature to do that, but it's not necessarily an accurate assessment of the real risks. In the case of obstetrics in particular, I've witnessed many occasions where a doctor "reassures" his patient before/during/after an invasive procedure by warning of dire outcomes ("you/your baby will die/would have died"), whether or not the evidence really indicates that the procedure is less risky than the alternative.

To the OP, I'm glad you and your baby are doing well. :)

I think the issue some have with the OP is not that she had a scary experience, or that she believes the Dr saying she would have ruptured. It's the scare factor of the post.

She just went through a tramatic birth experience. It's her experience. The tone of the post is filled with fear, and was directed to pregnant moms. This can cause unecessary anxiety to pregnant women.

Yes, there are scary and sadly tragic endings to birth. Birth is as safe as life gets. Birth can not be controlled. Doctors may like to think they can control it and can predict what will happen but they can't.

I've known women who have very bad endings in birth. C-sections and vaginal. There are no guarantees. A c-section does not guarantee a good outcome. Nor does a vaginal birth.

Again every woman's birth is her own so expecting mothers should not compare or expect that what happened to someone else will happen to them.

My VBACS were wonderful easy births. My c-section almost killed me.

I think it's unfortunate that so many medical decisions are based on "policy" or "protocol", rather than assessing the individual situation. With my 3rd VBAC, I was sent home from the hospital and put on Ambien because I "wasn't really in labor". I was a week overdue and it was my 4th baby. Baby was born in the van in the hospital driveway because when I got in the bathtub at home the next night, my contractions were suddenly <5 min. apart. I was on Ambien and not thinking clearly enough to tell DH I needed to go in--if he hadn't decided to take me I would have had an unassisted homebirth I wasn't prepared for. And having had Gestational Diabetes, we could have had some major problems with her blood sugar.

VBACs are the right option for some women. C-sections are the right option for some women. Medical professionals need to pay attention to women and know what they're doing well enough to make an assessment based on the situation, not policy.

That's a good point. Perhaps the previous poster was reacting to the tendency many doctors have to justify various procedures. I think it's human nature to do that, but it's not necessarily an accurate assessment of the real risks. In the case of obstetrics in particular, I've witnessed many occasions where a doctor "reassures" his patient before/during/after an invasive procedure by warning of dire outcomes ("you/your baby will die/would have died"), whether or not the evidence really indicates that the procedure is less risky than the alternative.

:iagree: After my very scary c-section birth I *had* to believe it was necessary. I simply had to. It wasn't until later on that I began to see things differently.

BTW, what happened to me was I had a bad reaction to the meds in the epidural. I had a seizure and stopped breathing. It was a nightmarish hell for my Dh who was standing there. So every time I hear women joke about how wonderful and "life saving" epidurals are, I shudder and my heart races. To me epidurals are evil. To other women they are wonderful.

I am terribly sorry for your traumatic birth experience.

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy.

I almost died in my C/S that they convinced me I needed. My epi gave me so little relief that by time it finally did give me relieve it was up so high I couldn't breathe. They opted for a c/s and I almost died on the table.

All births carry risks and I am truly happy that you and the babe came out of the situation nice and safe.

Congratulations! He is a beautiful boy!! I am so glad that you had an attentive doctor and nurses at the hospital who were able to make sure the outcome was positive. I have a feeling that you are about to embark on quite an adventure with that little tumbler!!!:D

I am very glad that you and your baby are both fine.

However, I don't think that a c-section is the "safer" option in most cases, so I don't think this should make people forget about even trying a vaginal delivery, whether they've had a previous c-section or not. There are women and babies with serious health consequences from both options, after all. Nor should it be taken as a reason not to ever get pregnant in the first place. It's more a reason to be prepared.

I agree. I'm glad you and baby are fine and you very well could be right that a vbac was not a good option for you. That doesn't mean it's not a good option for everyone.

I had a vaginal birth, a c-section due to very short umbilical cord and then a vbac. There are risk factors-if you have had several children, if you have an excess amount of fluid, if there was less than a year between your last birth and recent pregnancy, etc and you must take those risk factors into account. You must also take into account things like pitocin use, it's a bad idea.

I did everything in my power to lower my risk factors. I waited 2 years before getting pregnant with #3. I worked out. I ate right. I didn't have any medication during labor. I had no other risk factors. My vbac went perfectly.

My younger sister had too much fluid with her second born. It stressed her uterus and the doctors didn't want her to do a vbac because of that. I think she made the right choice in doing a repeat c-section.

There are so many different possibilities and variables that you cannot make a blanket statement that any one type of situation is good or bad.

Oh, and both of my vaginal birth babies had their cords wrapped around their necks. It's pretty common.

All births carry risks and I am truly happy that you and the babe came out of the situation nice and safe.

I think this is the number one thing we all forget regarding childbirth. Before the 1960's the number one killer of women was childbirth! I think in many countries, it still is. All these procedures have contributed to saving our lives. That doesn't mean they're perfect or that one size fits all. Cesareans are there to save lives, but they are still major surgery, and should be considered as such. The benefits should outweigh the risks. For every woman, the situation will be different.

OP - I'm so glad you and the baby are OK. I'm sorry it was so traumatic. :grouphug:

Blessings!

Dorinda

There are so many different possibilities and variables that you cannot make a blanket statement that any one type of situation is good or bad.

:iagree:

OP, thank you for your reminder of the risks (one of the reasons I preferred the continuous EFM for my four vbacs - doesn't solve everything but it was reassuring to me). :grouphug: I'm sorry you had a traumatic and scary birth. Congratulations on your new baby!!!

So every time I hear women joke about how wonderful and "life saving" epidurals are, I shudder and my heart races. To me epidurals are evil. To other women they are wonderful.

I have had two (one with my first and one with my twins) and didn't like either. Thankfully I did not have the kind of experience you did! I would never, ever willingly choose an epidural. With my twins I agreed to one SOLELY in case they needed to assist the second baby out. Well, this particular hospital makes them wear off right at the end, so I went from feeling nothing to full-blown transition very quickly. It was only earlier this year that I realized that if they had had to assist the second baby, I WOULD HAVE FELT IT ALL AND THE EPIDURAL WAS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY, plus it slowed down my labor considerably (drs. thought I would have the babies in the wee hours of the morning and they weren't born until nearly dinnertime) AND it completely numbed my left leg so that I couldn't even move it until over 24 hours later.

Well, it just goes to show that everyone is different! I was vehemently anti-epidural, pro-natural, gonna-homebirth with my first. After three days of back labor, stuck at 4/5, I nearly lost my mind. I had to go to the hospital. After they gave me the epidural, my body finally relaxed and let the baby turn and I finished dilating within a short amount of time. I am convinced that without the epidural, I would have had a c-section. They tried to relax me with drugs first, but all they did was make me lose any self-composure and ability to cope with contractions that I had left. Thank God for that epidural!

I had my second and third drug/epidural free. I had my fourth with an epidural. I dilated so much faster, once I got it! That was my fastest, easiest birth by far. My last was a homebirth because we needed to save the money. It was not nearly as calm and peaceful as my hospital epidural birth.

Babies can be safely delivered vaginally with cords wrapped multiple times. It is very hard to predict that a uterus might have ruptured under different circumstances. A doctor saying your uterus might have ruptured is not almost dying. VBACs should be undertaken with caution. Scaring others out of VBACs should be done cautiously as well.

I am so glad you are ok and your baby is safe and here.

Your uterus did not rupture if I read correctly. The Dr. speculated but he can't prove that it would have happened. My last baby had the cord wrapped around her neck twice and she was a vaginal birth but not a VBAC so it can happen to anyone.

I just do not want women who would like to have a VBAC to be scared because I do not see how your complications are related to VBAC.

Congratulations though and enjoy snuggling your new little one!