Menu

How many bottles of salad dressing are in your fridge?

How many bottles of salad dressing are in your fridge right now?  

1. 1. How many bottles of salad dressing are in your fridge right now?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9+

Dh is always complaining about how many bottles we have floating around the fridge. We have seven - six store bought and one homemade. I suppose I could get rid of a couple but everyone likes different things. So how many do you have? (Doesn't matter what the expiration date is!)

All of you at 0 amaze me! :lol:

I have homemade oil and apple cider vinegar vinaigrette

ranch

italian

1000 island

annie's goddess dressing

annie's roasted red pepper vinaigrette

wishbone raspberry salad spritzer

The Goddess Dressing and the salad spritzer really should be tossed in the trash.

Just Caesar for my husband. It was recently that we discovered that he'll eat any salad green as long as it had a little caesar on top. I usually make mine on the fly. I especially like spiced rice vinegars. On occasion, dd will make a homemade ranch, but we tend to go through that so quickly that I don't like to make it too often.

If anyone has a great caesar recipe, I'd like it. I think he's ready to branch out and try a different one. I can't stand the texture of store bought dressings.

My mil has about 10, just for her and fil. She doesn't seem to get that they don't last forever. She once put a bottle of dressing on the table that had expired 5 years earlier.

It was probably fine, but :ack2:.

LOL! This is my sister. Some of her bottles practically had sprouted legs and were getting ready to run out the fridge.

Just Caesar for my husband. It was recently that we discovered that he'll eat any salad green as long as it had a little caesar on top. I usually make mine on the fly. I especially like spiced rice vinegars. On occasion, dd will make a homemade ranch, but we tend to go through that so quickly that I don't like to make it too often.

If anyone has a great caesar recipe, I'd like it. I think he's ready to branch out and try a different one. I can't stand the texture of store bought dressings.

I'll send you mine later. I can procrastinate no longer and have to run to the store now. :)

I usually have a jar of organic ranch in the fridge for dipping carrot sticks & red pepper strips. I make all other dressings from scratch, but it's actually harder to find organic buttermilk than it is to find organic ranch dressing, so I generally buy that one.

Jackie

Dh is always complaining about how many bottles we have floating around the fridge. We have seven - six store bought and one homemade. I suppose I could get rid of a couple but everyone likes different things. So how many do you have? (Doesn't matter what the expiration date is!)

We have 3 store bought and 2 bottles of homemade dressing.

Bill, it is clear you only have one child - and not at home all day:). I feel it is an accomplishment if we get all the dishes on the table on time.

But Ellen, I can make a delicious and healthful salad dressing in under 45 seconds. Even my 5 year old can make wonderful salad dressing. It is not an onerous task.

Washing the greens is far more time-consuming than making the dressing.

And given the absolutely awful ingredients used in the typical bottled dressing (low quality chemically extracted polyunsaturated oils, sugars, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, etc.) it is well worth the less-than-a-minute of time it takes to make a fresh olive oil based salad dressing.

And if healthfulness wasn't an issue (and it is) the flavor of homemade dressings is vastly superior to bottled dressings (which I think are vile :ack2:)

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

But Ellen, I can make a delicious and healthful salad dressing in under 45 seconds. Even my 5 year old can make wonderful salad dressing. It is not an onerous task.

Gotta agree with you on this one...

Even a decent (not necessarily 100% authentic) Caesar dressing takes me less than a minute... (it does use mayo instead of egg, but for ease of prep, it can't be beaten)

This is enough for 1 largish salad using 1 largish head of romaine, but usually I make a bit more:

2 generous TBS of mayo

2 generous TBS of olive oil

a squirt of anchovy paste from a tube (optional, but so so good)

a dash of worcestershire sauce

a tsp or so of dijon mustard (optional)

crushed garlic to taste (or if you are in a HUGE hurry, garlic powder - NOT salt)

squeeze of lemon juice

Mix all ingredients with a whisk EXCEPT the olive oil until very well blended

Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until well emulsified

Immediately dress salad, add some parmesan, freshly cracked pepper, a few more lemon squeezes and voila, you're done.

Note: I don't add any salt to this dressing because I make my own croutons from day old bread, and they have been prepared with kosher salt.

And if healthfulness wasn't an issue (and it is) the flavor of homemade dressings are vastly superior to bottled dressings (which I think are vile :ack2:)

Bill

This is so true. I'm now at the point where I can just pour a little olive oil and vinegar onto the greens, sprinkle with salt and mix, and it usually comes out tasting right. Takes less than a minute. I feel like a simple dressing like this brings out the nice flavors of the salad rather than disguising them...and I always ask for oil and vinegar at restaurants now - I can't handle the richness or the amount of dressing that they put on salads anymore.

This is so true. I'm now at the point where I can just pour a little olive oil and vinegar onto the greens, sprinkle with salt and mix, and it usually comes out tasting right. Takes less than a minute. I feel like a simple dressing like this brings out the nice flavors of the salad rather than disguising them...and I always ask for oil and vinegar at restaurants now - I can't handle the richness or the amount of dressing that they put on salads anymore.

Yep...

It's fun to monkey around with the types of oils and vinegars, too. Red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, champagne, white balsamic, lemon juice and olive oil, apple cider vinegar, etc...

For a while it was all about balsamic. Now I'm back to good quality red wine vinaigrette. A good caesar or blue cheese dressing is the only exception that i have, and those are really easy to make, too.

Yep...

It's fun to monkey around with the types of oils and vinegars, too. Red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, champagne, white balsamic, lemon juice and olive oil, apple cider vinegar, etc...

For a while it was all about balsamic. Now I'm back to good quality red wine vinaigrette. A good caesar or blue cheese dressing is the only exception that i have, and those are really easy to make, too.

Yum! Yes, I have been known to mix my vinegars. :D Sometimes I'll mix plain yogurt with balsamic to make a creamy dressing. Or mix champagne vinegar and orange juice. Or mix red wine and white balsamic. Or add some goat cheese and chives....oh don't even get me started with my goat cheese obsession. :lol:

(I think I'm going to be making a nice big salad for dinner tonight. :D)

BikeBookBread's Caesar recipe looks good, but here's the one we like:

Mix well or pulse in a blender:

2 TBSP red wine vinegar

1 TBSP mayo

1 clove garlic, minced

2 anchovies (soak in milk for 10" if you want a mellower flavor -- we just skip this)

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Juice of one lemon

6-8 turns of a black-pepper mill

salt to taste

Then, drizzle in while mixing or pulsing:

1/2 cup olive oil

We also make Lazy Man's Dressing: salt and pepper on the salad, maybe some oregano, then a vinegar, sometimes olive oil.

Is there a hard and fast rule about amount of oil to vinegar. It seems it's usually like 3:1 or 2:1, yet I see people putting in equal amounts. Does the type of vinegar make a difference?

The more acidic and assertive the vinegar the higher the ratio of oil you use. Sherry vinegar (for example) is strong, so you might go 4:1 (or higher). Where a rice vinegar is quite mild, so you might go 2:1 (or lower).

Bill

Currently only 1 a bottle of ranch for me and my dd to use for dip. When dh is home I'd have a bottle of Thousand Island for him.

I would love to make homemade, but whenever I tried it never turned out. Maybe I need to get a few recipes and try again. I really need a recipe, I'm not generally an outgoing cook who tries new things or knows when something needs a little this or that.

BikeBookBread's Caesar recipe looks good, but here's the one we like:

Mix well or pulse in a blender:

2 TBSP red wine vinegar

1 TBSP mayo

1 clove garlic, minced

2 anchovies (soak in milk for 10" if you want a mellower flavor -- we just skip this)

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Juice of one lemon

6-8 turns of a black-pepper mill

salt to taste

Then, drizzle in while mixing or pulsing:

1/2 cup olive oil

We also make Lazy Man's Dressing: salt and pepper on the salad, maybe some oregano, then a vinegar, sometimes olive oil.

Ooh, I don't know which to use! Maybe both. :D

Lazy Man's dressing is a staple. So many cool vinegars to choose from. Like I said in my previous post, I'm really enjoying rice vinegar. I need to figure out how to expand dh's horizons without stopping what progress I've accomplished. I got him fresh outta his mama's house and it's taken years to get him to eat something besides potatoes, meat, and white bread.

Technically I don't have any bottles of salad dressing. I do have 4 jars of homemade dressing. I haven't been able to find any glass bottles I like so I just use old spaghetti sauce jars. But I have honey mustard, Italian and 2 of ranch because we go through it so fast that I make extra so I don't have to do it so often.

One of my most cherished possessions is an English vitreous clay mortar and pestle by Milton Brook.

Place a little coarse salt in the mortar. Add a clove of garlic (maybe a an anchovy fillet) and Bang! The salt holds the garlic in place, and it pulverizes into a paste. Bang! Bang! Then add a little good mustard to act as an emulsifier (something that holds oil and a water based item like vinegar together). Add extra virgin olive oil. Acid (lemon juice or vinegar). Any other seasoning. Stir ingredients into suspension. Done.

Miso also makes a good emulsifier and is especially good with rice vinegar and sesame oil added to the olive oil, for an Asian twist.

Bill

http://www.cookware.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=WCM1111

Always French, and always either ranch or Italian (right now I think it's ranch). The kids mostly stick with French, dh mostly sticks with the others.

I eat dry salad. When I really want to treat myself, I'll pick up a bottle of raspberry walnut vinaigrette and add some feta, walnuts and red grapes, but I don't keep it on hand for regular use.

Well, you all got me motivated. I made some dressing (olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, salt, ground pepper and cayenne pepper cause I've got to have it). I think I could have used more oil (did 2:1) and ended putting in a little honey (from our own bees, if that counts at all). It was dang tasty. My dh still got his bottle of Paul Newman out of the fridge, but I am bound and determined to work on him.

Well, you all got me motivated. I made some dressing (olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, salt, ground pepper and cayenne pepper cause I've got to have it). I think I could have used more oil (did 2:1) and ended putting in a little honey (from our own bees, if that counts at all). It was dang tasty. My dh still got his bottle of Paul Newman out of the fridge, but I am bound and determined to work on him.

Well done!

Bill