Menu

We didn't die last night, but it was close....

Last night, an amazing thing happened to us as a family -- we were saved from blowing up, literally.

During the four years we've lived in this house, we've had an ongoing problem with spray paint fumes from the nearby auto body shop. I've called and called and called -- the state hotline, the DEP, the county office, the township health department, the local police. It's a run-around, everyone would always refer us back to the same ineffectual county office.

The county agent would come out hours, even days, after we'd place the complaint, and then act as though she could not smell any fumes, even if the fumes persisted. It was ridiculously obvious that something corrupt/unorthodox was going on, but we did as much as we knew to do. We've had to spend the spring, summer, and fall (and winter) cooped up inside the house, every time the paint fumes would build up in the backyard. It's been very stressful to deal with this, to say the least. I worry about the girls (and their little acetone-assaulted brains) all. the. time. We do have the girls regularly checked via blood work for toxins, and our pediatrician has even tried to make some calls regarding our situation, to no avail. He's been stonewalled, too. :glare:

So anyway, last night my husband went out to get something from the van, and he came straight back in the house, choking and coughing. He could barely breathe, his voice was suddenly hoarse, his eyes and nose were watery. Paint fumes were descending on us like an invisible cloud, and we quickly closed up the house and put on the air conditioning system. Even with this, the fumes crept inside the house, to the point that I had decided to take the girls over to my parents' house, a mile away.

But first, I called the police to report the emergency. Then I called the state environmental hotline. Then I called the county office, not expecting anything from them. :tongue_smilie:But I had never called at night before....

And, unknowingly, I got Dispatch. The operator asked if anyone was experiencing health problems related to the paint fumes, and I told her, "Yes, my husband has had trouble breathing, I am shaky and nauseated, and I have three young children." She said that she was sending "help."

Well.

About 157 seconds later, our street was filled with fire trucks (4), ambulances (2), police cars (4), and I don't even know what else! It was amazing, and a bit shocking, but in the end, this saved our lives. The police officers tracked down the very strong paint fumes to the suspected auto body shop, where they found, shall we say, "unorthodox" painting in progress. Naughty people getting caught. Finally.

But something interesting happened besides this. The firemen :001_wub: (and firewoman!) entered our house en masse, armed with masks, tanks, and gadgets. They detected strong traces of paint fumes AND they detected a strong gas leak... in our house! Who knew?

"Sir, ma'am, we need you to evacuate the premises." The firemen went into to the girls' room (we'd just put the girls to bed) to carry them out, but that didn't go over too well with the three year olds! Anyway, we all had to stay out on our neighbors' front porch for hours, while the fire department tracked down the gas to a faulty (illegal) valve on our heater, a valve that has been illegal for about 15 years (we bought this house 4 years ago -- tells you something about the inspector, right?).

The PSE&G man said there was so much gas around our hot water heater that if the pilot had turned on, we would have been blown sky high. "A heap of ashes." He just kept saying "a heap of ashes," over and over. That was seriously not comforting. I think he was amazed that we had called about very real and toxic paint fumes, and ended up being saved from an even more disastrous gas leak.

So, in the end, he replaced the valve, we put the girls to bed again, said many thanks to the local volunteer fire department people, and things settled down. Can you imagine what this morning would have been like during bath/shower time, if we hadn't been saved?

Thank you, Lord, for protecting and watching over us!

Question: What could we do for the volunteer fire department that saved our lives? Does anyone know firefighters? I've been told today that they like to eat! :lol: Cookies, brownies, a big cake that says "Thanks!" Ideas?

So glad you guys are safe. Hopefully the chop shop is shut down permanently.

Question: What could we do for the volunteer fire department that saved our lives? Does anyone know firefighters? I've been told today that they like to eat! :lol: Cookies, brownies, a big cake that says "Thanks!" Ideas?

Dh and I are firefighters. As a group they love to eat any kind of cookie, brownie, cake.

I would call and find out when that shift works again. If you just take cookies to the dept one day they may or may not make it to the specific firefighters that helped you. Especially if they are particularly yummy.

Oh my goodness! This brings tears to my eyes. Praise the Lord you are ALL safe- God certainly intervened for you all.

The firemen we know would love anything they all can eat at their leisure- snacks, desserts, candy etc.

So sorry you got the run a round before but this time you got what you really needed at the right time. Hallelujah! Kiss your little ones everyday.

Wow, divine intervention. I am so glad to hear that everyone is safe and the problem is resolved. I also would go for an all out dinner.

Sheesh! What a close call. Thank God for the paint fumes or you would not have called anybody.

Will the paint fumes issue now be resolved?

If the fire dept. is quite large, a dinner may be costly but something like Chinese take out or a large, homemade cake and cards with drawings from the children as well as a "Thank You" card from you, would be nice.

Dh and I are firefighters. I would call and find out when that shift works again.

Can I hug you? :grouphug: You're heroic. Thank you for doing this to save lives and homes.

Does the "shift" concept apply to volunteers? Most of them were at home (in our neighborhood) when the call came in, they rushed to the station and came here in a flash! Would they even BE at the station otherwise? TIA.

Thanks for posting your story! I'm glad your family is safe. As for what to send the fire fighters, how 'bout a spectacular deli plate? Since you're in PSE & G territory, I'm guessing you have some good delis nearby! ;)

Again, glad you are all safe!

Amen! It's incredible how we can think that we're being ignored and it turns out that God knew what He was doing all along.

:grouphug:

What a warm fuzzy thing to read, thank you SO much for sharing.

Oh, and our local fd LOVE LOVE LOVE brownies ;)

ETA and kid drawn thank you posters too!

I just found out that the Fire Department's Ladies Auxiliary is having a Pancake Breakfast (fundraiser through donations) on Sunday morning, from 8 am to 12 pm. We could go before church! :D I bet all the guys and gals will be there on Sunday!

So, tomorrow we can bake brownies and the girls and I will make Thank You cards. We can deliver all these things to the heroes at the Pancake Breakfast.

Sounds good? :bigear:

:grouphug:

I am so glad you are ok. That sounds very scary!!

What was going on with the naughty painting?? What painting is naughty?

I am glad it is resolved, I would definitely bring them cookies.

:confused: I even asked DH what kind of painting would be naughty. Only thing I can think of is a cover for drugs, but not sure if I'm on the right track.:001_huh:

I'm glad everything turned out so well and that they were able to fix your own leak. Amazing how God protects us through the weirdest "coincidences."

:confused: I even asked DH what kind of painting would be naughty. Only thing I can think of is a cover for drugs, but not sure if I'm on the right track.:001_huh:

I'm glad everything turned out so well and that they were able to fix your own leak. Amazing how God protects us through the weirdest "coincidences."

This was an auto body shop so they were painting cars - probably stolen cars that were being repainted and sold.

Wow! Thank the Lord you are all okay!

I vote for a nice, mild on spices, vegetarian lasagna, big salad, a fresh fruit, and fresh bread for the fire department. Try to get the same shift of personnel that came out to the emergency. You can find out from the fire chief who was on call and if they will all pull a shift together again. Put a family pic in the card. Our local firefighters just love that. (Vegetarian lasagna because if they all have to jump for call, it won't go bad quickly sitting out.)

For the police, that's tougher, those shifts rotate a lot and it would be hard to coordinate if you had more than one or two sets squad cars respond. So, maybe a fruit basket, some brownies, and a card sent to the precint during the same shift time.

Faith

I just found out that the Fire Department's Ladies Auxiliary is having a Pancake Breakfast (fundraiser through donations) on Sunday morning, from 8 am to 12 pm. We could go before church! :D I bet all the guys and gals will be there on Sunday!

So, tomorrow we can bake brownies and the girls and I will make Thank You cards. We can deliver all these things to the heroes at the Pancake Breakfast.

Sounds good? :bigear:

Sounds great, I also like the idea of taking it to the papers. Even a nice letter to the editor would be good :)

What a fantastic case of divine intervention! Thank God your family is fine. Stories like this really make me wonder how people cannot have faith. His presence in our lives is so evident sometimes.

I totally believe in the Lord intervening when we need it. I lived with my grandmother from the time I graduated college until I got married, so about six years. Needless to say we are very close. She is 80 but was doing fine living alone. My DH went on a ski trip about two weeks ago so DSD and I decided we'd spend the night at my grandmother's house to keep her company as a suprise to her. (She loves having me stay late to hang out with her and chat. Just like old times she'd say.) That night she had a heart attack. We went to bed at 10 o'clock and she was doing great, at midnight she called my name out and that was all she could do. I called 911 and they rushed her to the hospital and saved her life. Luckily she'll be fine but will need to move to a senior condo rather than her house. I am so amazed that God knew I needed to be there that night! He just knew that she would need help that evening and put me over there. Just like he had those firefighters show up when you REALLY needed them to be there.

Edited by aggieamy

I have a friend who is the sister to a deceased Firefighter. I relayed your message to her and here is what she said to do: they need gift cards to any grocery store you can think of. Firefighter's pull 24 hour shifts and often feed a crew of people during that shift, out of their own pocket (they money pool). Please, please go to any grocery store and spend as much as you can on a gift card for them. Buy them one big huge cake with a thank you on it and/or bake them brownies or something. Deliver blankets, movies, anything you can think that they might enjoy. It's all communal and they NEED it. They need this show of support.

This was an auto body shop so they were painting cars - probably stolen cars that were being repainted and sold.

This is a new thought. And, since I worked for this car dealership/auto body shop years ago, I know how corrupt and politically connected they really are. Stolen cars.... Hmmm..... Now that wouldn't surprise me.

Wow, Jean, you are a brilliant criminal mind, just waiting to happen. :lol:

For the police, that's tougher. Faith

Doh. :001_huh: Thanks for the reminder, Faith. I was so impressed with the (volunteer) fire department (and interacted with them more), I hadn't even thought about how to thank the (highly paid) police. ;) We'll thank them, too.

I used to work for the sheriff's dept. We appreciated goodies at shift change. A note about the incident with your thanks is good, too (it will get posted where all can read).

I second the grocery store gift card idea for the firefighters. There is much they may need and all the firefighters I know just buy stuff out of their own pocket or put money into a kitty (not an actual kitty, but a pot or whatever). My friend's dh is a volunteer FF and they used to have a big popcorn machine (like they use at ballgames) that made theater style popcorn. It broke and they wanted to dip into the kitty to pay for repairs. Someone got wind of it and bought them a new one. My friend is forever taking snacks over to replenish the cupboards with what she knows they eat. Never know what the guys at the station will appreciate, but they all like thanks and food.

ETA: Thanks for making me choke back tears and pretend like I have allergies. That will teach me to read things like this in public! Great story!

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

Last night, an amazing thing happened to us as a family -- we were saved from blowing up, literally.

During the four years we've lived in this house, we've had an ongoing problem with spray paint fumes from the nearby auto body shop. I've called and called and called -- the state hotline, the DEP, the county office, the township health department, the local police. It's a run-around, everyone would always refer us back to the same ineffectual county office.

The county agent would come out hours, even days, after we'd place the complaint, and then act as though she could not smell any fumes, even if the fumes persisted. It was ridiculously obvious that something corrupt/unorthodox was going on, but we did as much as we knew to do. We've had to spend the spring, summer, and fall (and winter) cooped up inside the house, every time the paint fumes would build up in the backyard. It's been very stressful to deal with this, to say the least. I worry about the girls (and their little acetone-assaulted brains) all. the. time. We do have the girls regularly checked via blood work for toxins, and our pediatrician has even tried to make some calls regarding our situation, to no avail. He's been stonewalled, too. :glare:

So anyway, last night my husband went out to get something from the van, and he came straight back in the house, choking and coughing. He could barely breathe, his voice was suddenly hoarse, his eyes and nose were watery. Paint fumes were descending on us like an invisible cloud, and we quickly closed up the house and put on the air conditioning system. Even with this, the fumes crept inside the house, to the point that I had decided to take the girls over to my parents' house, a mile away.

But first, I called the police to report the emergency. Then I called the state environmental hotline. Then I called the county office, not expecting anything from them. :tongue_smilie:But I had never called at night before....

And, unknowingly, I got Dispatch. The operator asked if anyone was experiencing health problems related to the paint fumes, and I told her, "Yes, my husband has had trouble breathing, I am shaky and nauseated, and I have three young children." She said that she was sending "help."

Well.

About 157 seconds later, our street was filled with fire trucks (4), ambulances (2), police cars (4), and I don't even know what else! It was amazing, and a bit shocking, but in the end, this saved our lives. The police officers tracked down the very strong paint fumes to the suspected auto body shop, where they found, shall we say, "unorthodox" painting in progress. Naughty people getting caught. Finally.

But something interesting happened besides this. The firemen :001_wub: (and firewoman!) entered our house en masse, armed with masks, tanks, and gadgets. They detected strong traces of paint fumes AND they detected a strong gas leak... in our house! Who knew?

"Sir, ma'am, we need you to evacuate the premises." The firemen went into to the girls' room (we'd just put the girls to bed) to carry them out, but that didn't go over too well with the three year olds! Anyway, we all had to stay out on our neighbors' front porch for hours, while the fire department tracked down the gas to a faulty (illegal) valve on our heater, a valve that has been illegal for about 15 years (we bought this house 4 years ago -- tells you something about the inspector, right?).

The PSE&G man said there was so much gas around our hot water heater that if the pilot had turned on, we would have been blown sky high. "A heap of ashes." He just kept saying "a heap of ashes," over and over. That was seriously not comforting. I think he was amazed that we had called about very real and toxic paint fumes, and ended up being saved from an even more disastrous gas leak.

So, in the end, he replaced the valve, we put the girls to bed again, said many thanks to the local volunteer fire department people, and things settled down. Can you imagine what this morning would have been like during bath/shower time, if we hadn't been saved?

Glad everyone is safe. Yes, cookies, cakes and/or brownies would be a great Thank you.

Wow! So glad this story has a good ending.

I didn't read all the responses, but I'm sure anything you do to thank the department will be appreciated. If you are sending a thank you note, why not get those little ones to put their handprints on there? You know it will get posted for all the shifts to see, and what a great reminder of why we are so grateful for the work they do.

Hope tonight and every night is way more peaceful!:grouphug:

Well.

Praise, honor and glory to God for His love and protection. Perhaps you can share your faith through this event to share with others including the fire fighters, etc.

I would make a home=made card. But, a BIG homemade card. Have your kids write/draw on it. Each family member who writes to write a note of thanks and a word of encouragement and appreciation. First you could take a picture of your family with the helpers and make a frame as part of the front of your card. OK, getting too detailed.

Then, I'd bake lots of different types of things. Or, whip out one of your signature recipes that you make for a meal that EVERYONE loves.

HTH. Sheryl <><

Wonderful news you all are OK!!!

OMG! I'm so glad you had angels sitting on your shoulders!

I haven't read any of the responses past the first page, but I know whenever we bring bags of jerky or pork rinds to our fire stations, the guys toss a bag in each truck so they have good protein-filled snacks available whenever they make their runs.