Menu

Are Capri pants in style this summer?

I wore a pair of denim capri pants to the mall yesterday and was the ONLY woman there in capris! Seriously, I looked around a lot because I was so self-conscious with everyone else in long jeans. I haven't shopped for new spring/summer clothes so I'm a bit out of touch. Where do you get advice on what is trendy each season? I don't get clothing catalogs anymore since I can look online, but I tend not to look as much and feel out of the loop.

FWIW, it's warm here now so long pants are for fashion, not for warmth. So do I clear out all my capris from last summer and with what do I replace them? shorts or long pants? Help!! :)

I'm wearing denim capris right now. :) I lost track of what's in style a long time ago, which is pretty sad since I'm still in my twenties. Oh well.

Edited by Guest

I resisted capris for years because they looked to me -- and, frankly, still do -- like dismembered slacks for which the manufacturer ran out of fabric. Finally, I bought a couple of pair, just to cope with the horrid hot climate here. Whether they be fashionable or not, I care not. Now I buy them often for my dd because the dresses sold for girls/teens are too short for our taste, and a pair of capris worn underneath often solves the problem.

OK, I'll say it - who cares? :lol:

Well, I asked...therefore... :confused:

I don't think asking a genuine question to very knowledgeable women regarding a piece of clothing should get me laughed at.

Why in the world would it matter?:tongue_smilie:

It matters to me because I noticed others not wearing them, I care about looking nice when I go out (not frumpy and outdated), and I was curious. That's all. It doesn't matter to the world, just a curiosity on my part.

We just went shopping and bought a bunch of them for all 3 dd's. They were all over the mall here.

Oh my, I'm giggling at myself now. I walked all over the mall shopping for a wedding gift and a boy's birthday gift, but never thought to look at clothes to see what was being sold. I'll open my eyes more and try to THINK next time!! ;)

Thanks all. I'm keeping my capris in the front of the closet this summer.:hurray:

Well, I've got my khaki ones on that I just bought in January from Land's End or LL Bean (I forget which one).

I do have nice legs (what running does for you! :001_wub:) but I still don't wear shorts out of the house in the summer. I do wear skorts which are probably horrible according to fashionistas. But I like them!

I like that about what Jacqueline and Audrey wore will never go out of style. I'll have to remember that one!

Well, I asked...therefore... :confused:

I don't think asking a genuine question to very knowledgeable women regarding a piece of clothing should get me laughed at.

It matters to me because I noticed others not wearing them, I care about looking nice when I go out (not frumpy and outdated), and I was curious. That's all. It doesn't matter to the world, just a curiosity on my part.

Sorry. No offense intended. You would probably consider me "frumpy and outdated" but well, see my previous post.:tongue_smilie: I responded that way because you felt self-concious about wearing them because everyone else was wearing jeans. I really don't mean any disrespect - I just don't get it. I wasn't laughing at you for asking the question, I was laughing at the thought that what you wear matters. Obviously it does and I am just clueless. Sorry again - especially if I made you feel worse.

Capris are always a summer style. It's just that nobody in your neck of the woods have caught up with you yet. Having said that, I've never found capris to be attractive on anyone. I keep thinking somebody was too lazy to make the rest of the pant. Sorry. I say go with a skirt.

I always feel like capris are an indecisive piece of clothing. They aren't shorts and they aren't pants... What are they??? And they make most people look shorter and wider than they really are...

But that's just my opinion and I have no fashion sense.

I always feel like capris are an indecisive piece of clothing. They aren't shorts and they aren't pants... What are they??? And they make most people look shorter and wider than they really are...

Actually I have started weeding them out of my closet. I think it was the "What not to wear" team or maybe those two British ladies who were on Oprah sometimes but some "fashion guru" type person stated that capris look good on absolutely no one. They make short people look shorter, tall people like they outgrew their pants, fat people look wider, etc, etc. And I have to agree that I do look a bit...squatter in capris. So I am moving to long pants in light fabrics.

Sorry. No offense intended. You would probably consider me "frumpy and outdated" but well, see my previous post.:tongue_smilie: I responded that way because you felt self-concious about wearing them because everyone else was wearing jeans. I really don't mean any disrespect - I just don't get it. I wasn't laughing at you for asking the question, I was laughing at the thought that what you wear matters. Obviously it does and I am just clueless. Sorry again - especially if I made you feel worse.

Renee, I knew what you meant, but it was how it came across that was bothersome. I asked a genuine question and the answer you gave was "who cares." Preceding it with "okay, I'll ask" made me feel you thought that everyone was thinking the same thing as you, and that my question was out of line. I see this type of response occasionally when someone asks a question, and I always feel bad for him/her. Sometimes it's best that if you can't provide a real answer, move on and don't try to be flip...flip can come across as curt. Thanks for explaining, and I hope this clears up where I was coming from too.

1. I don't care.

2. I wear them anyway.

3. I don't want to be part of a herd of people all wearing jeans, for heaven's sake. I haven't worn jeans in a couple of years, and I have only owned one pair of jeans at a time for many years. I also don't wear tennies unless I'm going to be out hiking or spending four days at Disneyland or something, because I don't want to be part of *that* herd, either.

I wore a pair of denim capri pants to the mall yesterday and was the ONLY woman there in capris! Seriously, I looked around a lot because I was so self-conscious with everyone else in long jeans. I haven't shopped for new spring/summer clothes so I'm a bit out of touch. Where do you get advice on what is trendy each season? I don't get clothing catalogs anymore since I can look online, but I tend not to look as much and feel out of the loop.

FWIW, it's warm here now so long pants are for fashion, not for warmth. So do I clear out all my capris from last summer and with what do I replace them? shorts or long pants? Help!! :)

Here's where personality types come in...if I had been in your shoes, I'd have likely remarked to whomever was with me, "What is wrong with these women? Don't they know it is spring?" It wouldn't have been me that was unfashionable, but them! :D (Oh and btw, my "fashion" is cruisewear or beachwear, living at the shore. So, I'm really not a fashion maven).

No one should have to look at my middle aged legs in shorts, and in the Texas heat, jeans are out. I look wide in most skirts so capris for me, it is! I bought a bunch at Old Navy on sale last year that are very lightweight. It's like wearing pants made out of paper towels. Very comfy in the 100 degree weather. I also wear Old Navy flip flops all summer. At 2 pairs for $5, you can't go wrong.

I don't ever know what to wear, either, and while I don't intend to be a fashion model, I just don't want to embarrass myself in public. So when I don't have a clue what in in style, I look at what the younger crowd is wearing at the mall....I have also been known to ask various teens or young saleswomen about something. My goal is not to look like a teen, but I do know some teens (including my own) who will tell me if it looks like I am about to embarrass myself.

Well, my 13 yr. old fashion diva wears them so they must still be in.

I personally want to wear them but am not comfotable doing so, not sure why. I like the classic Audrey Hepburn peddle pusher looks but I never feel comfotable wearing them so I usually go with classic shorts with the 5" inseam, not too short, not too long. As long as I shave my legs they still look pretty good so I am comfotable in shorts, mostly I wear pants though because I really don't like to shave. :001_smile:

If you like them, are comfortable wearing them and they look good on you well then that's all that matters. ;)

I am wearing denim capris right now. I would not be surprised if I am the only one around here to do so today. It is not exactly nice weather out there lately, but I have have high hopes the warm weather will return so I have on capris and sandals even in the snow lol

Renee, I knew what you meant, but it was how it came across that was bothersome. I asked a genuine question and the answer you gave was "who cares." Preceding it with "okay, I'll ask" made me feel you thought that everyone was thinking the same thing as you, and that my question was out of line. I see this type of response occasionally when someone asks a question, and I always feel bad for him/her. Sometimes it's best that if you can't provide a real answer, move on and don't try to be flip...flip can come across as curt. Thanks for explaining, and I hope this clears up where I was coming from too.

I see that it didn't come across the way I intended it and for that I am very sorry.

Edited by Renee in FL

;)

Yup - but you'd be shocked at how many people nod and smile without making that connection. LOL. 5'12" just seems more normal for a woman than 6'. :) LOL!

At first I thought it was a typo and you meant 5'2", but then you said you were tall so it couldn't be that!

;)

Yup - but you'd be shocked at how many people nod and smile without making that connection. LOL. 5'12" just seems more normal for a woman than 6'. :) LOL!

My mom sometimes says she's 5'12" and people rarely catch it. I grew up with 4 sisters, all of whom are at least several inches taller than my 5'9", so 6' women don't seem overly tall to me. Instead, I feel short, and I doubt there are very many women my height who do.

My mom sometimes says she's 5'12" and people rarely catch it. I grew up with 4 sisters, all of whom are at least several inches taller than my 5'9", so 6' women don't seem overly tall to me. Instead, I feel short, and I doubt there are very many women my height who do.

I am in the same situation! I am 5'7" but my three sisters were all taller than me. I thought I was short for a long time.

I agree.

Actually I have started weeding them out of my closet. I think it was the "What not to wear" team or maybe those two British ladies who were on Oprah sometimes but some "fashion guru" type person stated that capris look good on absolutely no one. They make short people look shorter, tall people like they outgrew their pants, fat people look wider, etc, etc. And I have to agree that I do look a bit...squatter in capris. So I am moving to long pants in light fabrics.

Yes, it's Trinny and Susannah. They are scathing about capris and I agree with them. The reason Gap et al sell them is that Gap et al base their designs on tall beanpoles who can wear almost anything and still look OK. If a beanpole looks shorter and wider, well it's not so bad. But when a short person like me looks shorter, well that's the last thing I need. In the heat I wear shorts to the beach and around the house, and skirts or dresses other times.

Truly, I think she was trying to make you feel confident and smile. I don't think Renee meant any harm. When I read it, I sensed that she was trying to make you feel comfortable with what you like rather than worrying about what others think.

Yes, I was and I think people who "know" me could read that but to someone who doesn't it seemed really snotty.:leaving: