Menu

DH plus 2 of our dds and 5 friends were in a bad accident today....

This was supposed to be a FUN day...luckily it has a better ending that what it could have been....

DH was driving my oldest dds and their friends on a spring break trip to San Antonio (about an hours drive) this morning about 10am... a small truck pulling a trailer BACKED UP on shoulder and the trailer swung out into HEAVY traffic (still moving at over 60mph). DH made it safely into a clear lane and slowed down to avoid other cars and the still-moving trailer (trailer was about 14 feet long --about 3 feet high)... and they were rear ended.

The three girls in the rear seat (of our Suburban) were taken to the hospital by ambulance. My 17yo had a bad concussion--so did her best friend.. the girl sitting in the middle has a broken back!!! (fractured vertebre (sp?)). 2 girls have had zero complaints and everyone else including DH have stiff necks... all were wearing seatbelts--the friend with the broken back was sitting in the center seat with only a lap-belt...

EVERYONE IS HOME from the hospital as of now (9pm)

The friend with the broken back has ZERO spinal cord damage and will be fitted for a brace next week--she should be back at school by the end of the week!

God is Good!!---it could have been so much worse!!!

Toughest part of the day--riding in the ambulance and making phone calls to parents.

Jann

:grouphug: Wow. God certainly is good. I know you are so thankful and relieved. This could have been so much worse; it is a blessing that everyone came out of this okay. Still, I know this has been such a stressful thing for you to go through, so I just wanted to send more hugs your way. :grouphug:

So happy to hear of a happy ending. Life will always be more special, and I'm glad that the calls weren't horrific as they could have been. WOW about the girl in the middle!!!! What a praise. I feel bad for your DH as he must be a bit of a mess. To think he got out of the way... only to be rear ended. I'm sure he'll need to be thinking of Chiros or something..... I have a friend who was rear ended and I know that sometimes it takes a while to realize you need to get some adjustment help...

So happy for your family.... and the other girls' families...

;)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: That's absolutely HORRIBLE!!! I'm so glad everyone will be ok! Please expect changes in your dd and her friend with bad concussions. You will likely notice differences in her personality, and most definitely in her memory! She will heal with time! The poor girl with the broken back!

I wasn't even in the big car and I have a sore neck--but mine is stress related!

Oldest dd is starting to complain about her neck... and I had to give her some pain medicine..

Middle dd (with the concussion) had a few bites to eat this afternoon--but none this evening--she has just asked for a Motrin--NOT a pain pill... so I think she is doing OK--we still have to monitor her all night long...

Our Suburban is an older 1998 model-- we call it our 'hay mobile' (because it is now used primarily for horse food!)... it is definitely totaled... I'm pretty sure the other cars in the accident were too...

I'm going to TRY to go to bed now--and hopefully NOT relive today over and over again...

Jann

I'm so thankful they are all relatively okay! Thank God for your dh's presence of mind and his skill. Thank God for a big heavy car. Thank God for seatbelts. Thank God for His protection!

Best wishes for you, dh and each of the girls --prayers for you are on their way!

Val

I wasn't even in the big car and I have a sore neck--but mine is stress related!

I'm going to TRY to go to bed now--and hopefully NOT relive today over and over again...

Jann

This was supposed to be a FUN day...luckily it has a better ending that what it could have been....

DH was driving my oldest dds and their friends on a spring break trip to San Antonio (about an hours drive) this morning about 10am... a small truck pulling a trailer BACKED UP on shoulder and the trailer swung out into HEAVY traffic (still moving at over 60mph). DH made it safely into a clear lane and slowed down to avoid other cars and the still-moving trailer (trailer was about 14 feet long --about 3 feet high)... and they were rear ended.

The three girls in the rear seat (of our Suburban) were taken to the hospital by ambulance. My 17yo had a bad concussion--so did her best friend.. the girl sitting in the middle has a broken back!!! (fractured vertebre (sp?)). 2 girls have had zero complaints and everyone else including DH have stiff necks... all were wearing seatbelts--the friend with the broken back was sitting in the center seat with only a lap-belt...

EVERYONE IS HOME from the hospital as of now (9pm)

The friend with the broken back has ZERO spinal cord damage and will be fitted for a brace next week--she should be back at school by the end of the week!

God is Good!!---it could have been so much worse!!!

Toughest part of the day--riding in the ambulance and making phone calls to parents.

Jann

So glad everyone is relatively OK! How did you get there fast enough to ride in the ambulance? (I know..the weirdest questions come to my mind)

I was in a different car--following just a few miles behind.

They were hit by a Nissan Pathfinder with a 'cattle guard' welded grill on the front...DH is wanting to show me the pictures of the cars taken at the police lot--but I'm not ready to look

DH and I did not get much sleep last night....

{{{Jann and family and friends}}

I'm so glad everyone is 'okay'. They're all alive and will heal.

This example unfortunately but clearly illustrates the risks of lap only belts....had a younger child been riding in the middle - there likely would have been spinal cord damage. There are countless cases of exactly that happening - paralysis from snapped spinal cords from the upper body being thrown 'too far' forward.

Lap belts are no longer considered acceptable for anything other than restraining a 5 point carseat or specialty 5 point harness.

In an ideal situation, no one would ever ride in a car while being restrained only by a lapbelt.

Best,

Katherine